PDA

View Full Version : Would it kill them to...

Lakewood
04-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Make a line at the security checkpoint for people without bags?

drag n' fly
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
They do have one if you are coming from the GC into DCA.

Lakewood
04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
They do have one if you are coming from the GC into DCA.

You can/should only use that if you are a registered guest of the hotel.

YellowMickeyPonchos
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't do any good where they need it most. I actually wondered that on my last few visits.

WDW even has one right at the entrance. It would actually help a lot of folks out if they had one as you exited the Mickey & Friends Tram.

My guess is that they don't feel they have the room for it.

bumbershoot
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Human nature being what it is, people would see a space without a line and they'd go there. Eventually (an hour or two after the first time the "no bag" line opened) they'd need a CM there, then maybe two. One to make sure people really didn't have any bags (because: a purse isn't a bag! a fanny pack (bum bag for the Australians offended by the American phrase, LOL) isn't a bag! a baggallini isn't a bag! a KFC insulated soft-sided family-meal bag isn't a bag!!!), and another to explain to those people that YES, purses, KFC insulated bags, things around your waist, etc etc, ARE INDEED bags.

Oh and I forgot one...a camera bag isn't a bag, right? Even if it's a big ol' Crumpler?

Seriously, the line would be overrun very quickly, and it would be just as long as the other lines.

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but thinking about what we already know about people when at DLR, I don't think I could be proven wrong on this.:3dglasses

pixiewings71
04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
They've had a no bag line open a few times we've been there. Usually in very peak season when it's really super crowded but it does happen. Altho most of us do have bags when we enter the parks, whether they are fanny packs, sling bags, purses, backpacks, diaper bags, soft sided coolers or pin bags. I think there has only been once or twice that we've never had a bag.

wendylady36
04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Make a line at the security checkpoint for people without bags?

Yes, yes it would.

prettyprincessbelle
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
BUT, if people who were going through the bagchecks had ALL the pockets in their bags unzipped BEFORE they reached the CM, the line wouldn't take so long!

ORMom2Four
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
They've had a no bag line open a few times we've been there. Usually in very peak season when it's really super crowded but it does happen. Altho most of us do have bags when we enter the parks, whether they are fanny packs, sling bags, purses, backpacks, diaper bags, soft sided coolers or pin bags. I think there has only been once or twice that we've never had a bag.

They had a no bag line open a few times while we were there in October of last year. It was not open regularly though.

Belle Ella
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
BUT, if people who were going through the bagchecks had ALL the pockets in their bags unzipped BEFORE they reached the CM, the line wouldn't take so long!

Here here! That's what takes so long. I always make it a point to have my camera bag open and my purse ready to go.

Judy from Boise
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
works great at WDW. Nice for those of us that routinely travel light.

Disney_Villain
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
It is done in DLP & WDW, so it would work in DL too.

PrincessYessenia
04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
That's strange. I haven't been to DL yet, but have been to WDW and couldn't imagine why they would have no line for people with no bags. I've been so many times that I know to stand in the longer lines since the short line (or non-existent one) is for people with no bags. It would make it a lot easier.

pixiewings71
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
We too always have bags open and ready to be checked, it does help the line go faster. What makes me crazy is the strollers, they have to dig everything out from underneath those things and that causes a big delay. Of course if I needed one I'd use it! lol

YellowMickeyPonchos
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
It would be nice to be proven wrong, but thinking about what we already know about people when at DLR, I don't think I could be proven wrong on this.:3dglasses

As always, I worship your superior attention to detail and sensai-like qualities....

:worship:

prettyprincessbelle
04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Here here! That's what takes so long. I always make it a point to have my camera bag open and my purse ready to go.

We too always have bags open and ready to be checked, it does help the line go faster. What makes me crazy is the strollers, they have to dig everything out from underneath those things and that causes a big delay. Of course if I needed one I'd use it! lol

I do too. I hope all my compartments open as soon as I get in line. It makes it easier for DBF behind me who doesn't carry a bag because he just walks right through. Or we'll split up if there's a CM with no one in line.

Yeah, you're right about the stroller. Especially when they have BAGS in the stroller and they don't take them out to open them!

dare2dream
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
What exactly are they looking for??

Glass, outside food & drinks, explosives, firearms, weapons, anything else?

Can I bring scissors in the parks to cut my moleskin?

mechurchlady
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
They take away any weapons, knives over a certain size, mace, pepper spray but not glass that I know of.

Strollers are the worst. you see the bag check then wait until you are at the table and still no unloading. When you are at the table you should be dropping bags and unzipping them. I avoid strollers if I can help it. I have never had a problem with them and I use a messenger bag an a purse which are always unzipped.

It reminds me of airplanes in that they need people holding up things and showing guests how to unzip bags. Big bullhorns screaming, you in the red take off the fanny pack, NOW.

JenDisneylandlver
04-22-2009, 03:16 AM
I think it would be nice, but I can see the flaws that others have mentioned. I do hate it though when a group of 5 teenagers comes up with no bag and thinks it's okay to squeeze in front us. It is a line, that is still cutting, even without a bag! May stink to wait, but we all don't like it!

I'd like to see them do away with the whole bag check all together. Half the time they barely look in our bags.

YellowMickeyPonchos
04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
As a member of the stroller generation, I resemble the extra time....

But.... there are ways of making it go quicker. Take every bag out ahead of time while you are waiting in line. Make sure the only thing underneath is coats or blankets and toys. That's what we do.

We have known people who can never seem to do this and have the stroller packed for survivalist maneuvers....

PinkBudgie
04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
For some reason strollers going through the ticket gate also seems to take longer. :confused3 Maybe it is because the CM is slower to open up the gate for them. Not sure why but I always try to avoid being behind one in line if I can.

For us, a no bag line wouldn't matter because even if some in our party don't have a bag, there are always some who do. They would still have to wait. And I can't imagine going with a bag! :scared1:

mechurchlady
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
It is very simple to enter the park. People who can fit through the turnstile line up behind the turnstile and then enter via the turnstile. People who are too wide for a turnstile, wheelchairs, pushchairs, rollators, crutches, and ECVs line up in the center and wait behind the yellow line. The CM processes the ticket/pass and the person enters through the gate.

How hard is it to do that. No sir you cannot use the gate just because your wife came through with a stroller. I have lined up in the middle with my scooter and had people follow me. No you cannot all go through the gate. Only wide people, mobility aids users and those pushing strollers or wheelchairs. Repeat all day ti seems.

PinkBudgie
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
It is very simple to enter the park. People who can fit through the turnstile line up behind the turnstile and then enter via the turnstile. People who are too wide for a turnstile, wheelchairs, pushchairs, rollators, crutches, and ECVs line up in the center and wait behind the yellow line. The CM processes the ticket/pass and the person enters through the gate.

How hard is it to do that. No sir you cannot use the gate just because your wife came through with a stroller. I have lined up in the middle with my scooter and had people follow me. No you cannot all go through the gate. Only wide people, mobility aids users and those pushing strollers or wheelchairs. Repeat all day ti seems.

It doesn't seem hard, but some people have trouble figuring it out. I guess that's why it takes longer. :)

pixiewings71
04-23-2009, 02:35 PM

On on Jan trip we got to the parks late in the day. DBF and I had the Costco AP vouchers but none of the Harbor side ticket booths were open so we waited in line and asked the CM what to do, she sent us to the other side of the esplanade where the booths were open. (we didn't even think of using Guest Service, duh! lol) She told us not to wait in line again but to come to the stroller gate so off we went. Got our APs processed and our gift cards and happily strolled back to the same gate, did as she said and waited in the stroller/wheelchair/ECV line. As we waited the lady in front of with her stroller turned around and so rudely said "this is the stroller line" I said "thanks, I'm aware of that" and continued to chat with DBF, we were actually discussing waiting in the stroller line or getting in the regular line and which would be faster so if she has listened at all she would have known why we were there. She rolled her eyes, snorted and turned around, we got up to the gate and said to the CM (after she scanned rude lady) "Hi, we're back" and she said "oh good, I'll get you next", she scanned the next group and then us and she let us in thru the gate. That lady with the stroller SNEERED at me the whole time, then I thought I heard someone call my name so I turned around and she was still sneering at me and she was gesturing, pointing at me and talking to her friend who also had a stroller and was in a different line. I only turned around because I thought I heard someone call my name, we had a mini meet planned for later that weekend but I thought perhaps someone had recognized me so I turned and scanned. When I saw that lady I said to her "lady, you have no idea why we came thru that line, we had already waited once and the CM told us to wait in the stroller line" She tried to deny she was even looking at me said "I wasn't talking about you, wasn't even looking at you so (insert choice 4 letters here) you" My reply was simply, "yes, you are looking and pointing at me, gotcha, love the Disney Spirit!" and DBF and I walked away. So please, even if people are lining up behind you do not assume that they are trying to cheat the line. And we actually had NO benefit to doing that at all, we got into the parks after the group that in the regular line when we walked back anyway. LOL

PinkBudgie
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
See, I'd never tell someone where to stand because you are right, I'd have no idea what they are doing. I'd leave that to the CM to sort out. :)