PDA

View Full Version : Completely Stupid Question About SunPass

clkelley
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I just bought one of those SunPass Minis. I've got a really stupid question. Does the sticker go on the inside or outside of the windshield??

Just looking at it, I'm thinking outside, cause it looks like it reads the barcode, but then again, I don't know. I've read through the book three times and it doesn't say!!!

Or are there electronics inside the thing that it can read through the windshield??

Disney Campers
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it goes on the inside, it has a little chip in the center that reads at the toll stations,

Disney Campers
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
When you register be sure to add your trailer and it's plate, that way if it does not read and they pull that plate from the camera it will show you as a sunpass customer.

clkelley
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
When you register be sure to add your trailer and it's plate, that way if it does not read and they pull that plate from the camera it will show you as a sunpass customer.

Oh, OK, I just registered the truck. Thanks!!!

I'll make sure and add the trailer as soon as I can get to it and get the tag number.

Gatordad
04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
not a stupid question there. You'd think they'd make the directions more clear, with the dumb people that live in florida and all.... see Election, 2000 - Hanging Chads.

Just Beachy
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
If that's like EZ-Pass, it goes on the inside of the windshield.

des1954
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Like Scott said. Like Gatordad said.

You can also use it for parking at Orlando Airport - maybe some others, too. You get a discount at OIA if you pay w/SunPass.

I don't leave home without it! :thumbsup2

clkelley
04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
OK, Cool thanks!! I don't think I'll need the parking at OIA. I"ll only be "arriving" at OIA without a car :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Disney Campers
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
OK, Cool thanks!! I don't think I'll need the parking at OIA. I"ll only be "arriving" at OIA without a car :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Imagine the extra baggage fee for bringing that:scared1:

AuburnJen92
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
My mom has one in her Navigator. It goes on the inside. You can also use it on the Osceola Parkway. Don't know if you need to use the Pkwy, but you can. Those things are much better than the honker I have.

clkelley
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
My mom has one in her Navigator. It goes on the inside. You can also use it on the Osceola Parkway. Don't know if you need to use the Pkwy, but you can. Those things are much better than the honker I have.

Nah, mostly on the mainline and 429, but you never know, now that I don't have to worry about carrying cash, I may wander a bit more.

Rhonda
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
...and they automatically email you when you get down below, I think, $10. Then you just go online and put more money on it! It's very convenient!!

Disney Campers
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
...and they automatically email you when you get down below, I think, $10. Then you just go online and put more money on it! It's very convenient!!

You can also have auto replenishment, when it gets down to a certain amount it will automatically add to your account via your credit card.

AuburnJen92
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
You can also have auto replenishment, when it gets down to a certain amount it will automatically add to your account via your credit card.

That is what I have. I like it better that way, but I keep the cut they get each time to $25.

chevyrules05
04-08-2009, 02:19 AM
That is what I have. I like it better that way, but I keep the cut they get each time to $25.

HEY I am from fort pierce originally

YOU CAN'T use it at the airport only the original sunpass

des1954
04-08-2009, 04:18 AM
HEY I am from fort pierce originally

YOU CAN'T use it at the airport only the original sunpass

That's what I have - the original SunPass - and have used it several times at MCO. I wonder why the mini wouldn't work there???? It's also suppose to work at Miami & Ft. Lauderdale airports. Crazy, huh?

Disney Campers
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm sure the mini is just as good, but I gotta hear the beep

big kahuna1
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm sure the mini is just as good, but I gotta hear the beep

I went to the mini and all you have to do is make sure you see the "Thank You" when you go through but I think I liked the beep better. :thumbsup2

breick
04-10-2009, 03:02 PM
What does the SunPass or mini cost? The SunPass has to be installed but the mini just sticks on the inside of the windshield?

clkelley
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
The SunPass Mini is actually free. It is 4.99 plus tax, available at Publix, CVS, and SunPass service centers. Once you activate it and put some money on your SunPass account, the 4.99 is credited to your SunPass account.

breick
04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
More info please. I live out of state and and vacation once a year or more at the Fort. I usually pay cash at the toll plazas. (Turnpike from Ocala, 4?? to Western Way, sometimes Greeneway or Osceola Pkwy) Is it less $$ or just more convenient to use Sunpass? If I get the mini, there's no cost actually to me? Am I missing anything else?

clkelley
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
It is actually a little less money to use SunPass. You get a slight discount when using SunPass.

Now, the thing is to make it worthwhile you need to have a trip within 30 days of purchasing the pass to get the $4.99 credited to your account.

Step-by-step

You purchase the sticker at the available places.

Go to www.sunpass.com, register the sticker and your vehicle, and using a credit card, put money on your account.

It will take approximately 24 hours for your account to be active.

The 4.99 is credited to your account, but it expires in 30 days. The money YOU add to your account does not expire.

So, if you purchase it on your way to WDW (the best place without going out of your way is the Okahumpka service center on the main turnpike).

If you have online access at WDW, then you can activate it during your trip, then use it on the way home.

If you go to www.sunpass.com, it will explain most everything.

I purchased mine on the way home from my trip last weekend. Since I'm going back on the 23rd, my $4.99 credit will still be good, and I'll get to use it.

Since I pull a single axle trailer, it cost me $14.00 round trip to WDW use the toll roads paying cash, with the SunPass, I "think" it will cost me $12.00 round trip to use the toll roads.

bama_ed
04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Carol,

I'm glad you posted this - it's a great idea. Even if you go once a year like this I like the idea (especially when towing) of not having to brake, pay, and then accelerate again. I'm going to remember this before we go this Thanksgiving. But I assume the Publix or CVS you purchase it from has to be in the state of Florida? Probably.

Thanks,

Bama ED

PS-hey, saw a picture of your Mouse-ke-T@b trailer in the Fort Wilderness Photo Gallery section on allears.net and said to myself, "hey, I know whose that is" :)

Disney Campers
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Carol,

. But I assume the Publix or CVS you purchase it from has to be in the state of Florida? Probably.

:)

Go visit your local Publix and ask the manager to special order one for you, or at least try and get a nearby florida store to transfer one in to that store for you. They should be more than happy to take care of you, if not let me know the store and I see what I can do.

Tnbob
04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm gonna call a relitive in Fl to send me one.

clkelley
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Also, I just realized, the 4.99 credit is probably not put on the account until you activiate the account, so if you can't activate during your trip, buy one on the way home and wait till right before your next trip to activate the account. Then you don't lose the 4.99.

Also, as somebody else mentioned, be sure and list your camper as a vehicle on the SunPass account, so it is easier for them to deduct the charge for the additional axles. Apparently it takes longer for them to deduct the trailer charge if you don't.

VAN
04-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Okay, if we fly down and rent a car how would this work ... or wouldn't it?

clkelley
04-16-2009, 07:25 AM
The mini wouldn't work on a rental car as it has to be affixed permanently to a windshield.

A regular SunPass is $24 and change. You would have to make a lot of SunPass trips to get your $24 back as that price is not credited to your account.

clkelley
05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, just to report, my SunPass Mini worked perfectly!! I just checked my account and it was only $11.50 in tolls pulling my trailer to WDW and back instead of $14.00 that it would have cost in cash.

$4.00 each way on the main turnpike and $1.75 each way on 429

It did show extra axle adjustment on the account, so apparently I was charged the initial, then adjusted for the extra axle. I didn't have a chance to check the account before they did the adjustment.

Next trip, I'll get to see how the automatic reload of my account works :-)

So even for occasional travelers, the Mini is a great deal. Not only did I get my $4.99 back, the savings on just one trip has covered the sales tax I paid on the mini, and almost a gallon of gas!! (Or a Mickey Bar, however you want to look at it!!)

Tnbob
05-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Got mine in the mail from the relative, I thought about it for years but never knew about the minis and couldn't justify the cost, this is great. Thanks Carol for the nudge here!:thumbsup2

clkelley
05-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Got mine in the mail from the relative, I thought about it for years but never knew about the minis and couldn't justify the cost, this is great. Thanks Carol for the nudge here!:thumbsup2

I think the minis are fairly new (within the last 6 months or so)

bigdisneydaddy
05-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks for sharing the info, this thread was very helpful.

bama_ed
08-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I got my Mini today!

I had gone to my local Publix store here in Alabama and asked if they could get one from a store in Florida sent up here to me. They investigated and said I could just call a Florida store and they would ring up the sale on a credit card over the phone and mail it to me. That process worked fine - and it arrived today.

I hope I get the chance to use it more than just once or twice - I'd like to pull the pop-up down to the Keys some time. With the Suburban towing, I probably will save money on Day One by not having to come to a stop and then accelerate at the toll booth on the way back and forth to WallyWorld.

Bama ED

PS-if anyone wants the contact info for the store that sent me my mini, let me know. They did what they said they would do which is all I could ask for! :woohoo:

auntie
08-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Okay, if we fly down and rent a car how would this work ... or wouldn't it?

Some of the rental car companies already have their cars equipped with the Sun pass. They do charge you an additional fee if it's used. The cost of the toll and I believe an extra $2.50 a day when it's activated. At least that's been our experience. Either way...I'd simply inquire with the rental company you plan to use as to whether they have vehicles equipped with a Sun Pass.