PDA

View Full Version : Realistic tipping expectations

howlongtillsummer?
03-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi guys

Wondering if you could give me any info on tipping at DLP?

I always tip around 18% in Florida, varying for the level of service. However I have read that French wait staff receive better wages and are less reliant upon tips.

I would hate to short change anyone, but with the exchange rates as they are I would, to be honest, be reluctant to over tip!

What are your opinions? Experiences??

Thanks

tennisfan
03-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I tend to tip 10% for meals at restaurants, in the bars it varies for me.

torsie24
03-28-2009, 01:03 PM
We tippped about 10%, we normally just round up our bill, but never went for less than 10%

Architect
03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
We tippped about 10%, we normally just round up our bill, but never went for less than 10%

Ditto, but that's more than usual in France.

nobby
03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Tipping in France is usually only for exceptional service. The payment of staff differs from the US in that their pay does not assume tipping. And DLP is so damn expensive that it must be inclusive in the price.

mommy2ash
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
i might be the oddball here but i dont really tip unless somebody has really gone out of their way for me. there are minimum wages here and nobody is reliant on tips to bulk up their wages. and it is so expensive there for everything if i was tipping everyone i would have to take a day off my trip lol. but thats just me being tight

Ware Bears
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
We tip around 10% too. :)

Cyrano
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
We tip between 10 - 15% at home or in France :thumbsup2

torsie24
03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
We tipped over 20% at CG as our waiter was just wonderful!!!

10% for me is if tey do their job well, and then nothing if I really don't like them! :lmao:

I am not looking forward to the orlando 25% but the meals are alot cheaper so I'm sure it'll be fine!

howlongtillsummer?
03-28-2009, 07:02 PM
So would you be say tipping is a bonus rather than an expectation?

ukstitch
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I generally only tip when I feel I've had good service that warrants paying extra, so yes - I would say it is a bonus rather than a requirement.

Some restaurants in France add a tip onto your bill anyway (or they used to). If it has been added, then you will see something like "servis compris" on your bill.

It is my own personal opinion (and I appreciate this goes against the grain in some countries e.g. the US) is that if I am charged an amount, then that is how much the company value that service at. If I feel it has been better than that amount, then I will leave a tip of some kind on the table.

I generally never tip via the machines (can't remember if France has chip and pin machines set up to ask for tips or not) - I prefer to leave it on the table so it can go to the people who gave me the good service in the first place.

Personally, I think it's very rude to expect or query a tip - I had a taxi driver once who actually turned round and said "what - no tip?" which of course made me want to tip him even less.

howlongtillsummer?
03-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I believe in that too. Very much.

However I would feel concerned if I thought people were reliant on tips to achieve their wages.

I really appreciate this feedback and will now be comfortable just using my judgement.

Thanks again

nobby
03-29-2009, 07:31 AM
We tipped once for a waiter in Planet Hollywood as he ran around getting extra beers and provided outstanding service. When we tipped him he was genuinely astonished and shook all our hands. You can't act that kind of gratitude. Mind you it was Eur 45 between nine of us.

The other time was for a receptionist who pulled out a few stops and got a rather lengthy extension to our check out time.

Otherwise tipping in France for meals is not the norm, but they may round up if paying cash to the nearest Eur 5 or 10. If service is exceptional you could add 5-10%. The pay structure in France differs from the US in that staff are not reliant on tips to make up the rest of their wage. However in DLP restaurant prices are so high on a comparative basis to restaurants outside the resort, it is reasonable to assume that a level of service margin is priced in. Certainly for anyone staying at the resort hotels there is no need to carry cash around as you can use the DLP 'credit card' (not sure if this is at all hotels in the resort) to pay for all goods and meals, which means tipping is often not done where payment is by this method.