PDA

View Full Version : To Verandah or not to Verandah.. That is the question?

mindy327
03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I have been thinking a lot if I want to get a verandah for our next cruise in September on a 7 DAY.

For those of you who have cruised inside staterooms for 7 days with kids, tell me how it went.

For those of you who have cruised verandah style for 7 days with kids, tell me how it went.

I want to know if getting one is worth it.! Thanks bunches.:goodvibes

kcashner
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I've done it without a verandah many times and I've done it with a verandah twice. In one case, I was able to upgrade at port.

OK, I loved the ocean breezes, being able to read on my verandah, just having a private place. It would be especailly good if you have a little one who needs to nap. That said, is it worth doubling the cost of the cruise--not to me. I'll happily accept some pixie dust or a chance to sail in luxury for a bargain price, but I'd rather have two inside cruises than one with a verandah.

MouseLovinMom
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Any room on a Disney Cruise is a good room! Our first cruise we were upgraded to a verandah room. Now 5 cruises later we're hooked!

We love the verandah for the additional space it gives our family. When we're getting ready for the day, dinner, whatever, we can put the kids out there with breakfast or a snack. Also, we generally do a scuba excursion and like to have some of our own gear with us. The verandah houses our big, wet, icky dive bag until we get it cleaned and dried up. We stow it on the floor behind one of the chairs.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

cats mom
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
And for the opposite perspective... Our first cruise was in an isndie cabin and it felt incredibly claustrophobic to me. (In all fairness it was not on DCL though, so the cabin really was tiny) No, we did not spend a lot of time in the cabin, but of course we spent some, and I really hated it.

Personally I think I'd be OK as long as I had some natural light, but DH has decided he's a verandah kind of guy, so I gladly go along with his wishes. :thumbsup2

We do book an inside cabin for our kids and I'm OK popping in for short visits, but I love going back across the hall to my verandah cabin. I love early mornings watching the sun rise across the water out there. Granted you can do that on a public deck too, just not in your PJ's while still hanging with the later risers in the family.

tracyz
03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
We did a 3-day with no verandah and it was fine, but recently we sailed for 7 days and decided to spring for the verandah...LOVED IT! It was so nice to have the extra space, and on the couple of afternoons when DD was just overwhelmed and exhausted it allowed us to have a place to go to relax while she slept. Also allowed us to sit outside while waiting for people to get ready for breakfast and dinner. We won't sail without it from now on!

MaryKLady
03-17-2009, 10:51 AM
A warning...one you get one, you won't want to sail without one! :goodvibes

We've only done two cruises, neither on DCL, but the first we were upgraded to a balcony as a Christmas gift from my parents an the second was upgraded from the cruise line. When I originally booked our DCL cruise, I didn't want to spend the extra on it. But then I thought it would be worth it because, 1-I've had one before and are quite accustomed to my extravagent travel lifestyle :rotfl2: , 2-my DD is a napper and I thought a balcony would be nice to be out on when she naps, 3-I justified it because I booked a secret verandah room (a cabin with a slightly obstructed varandah and priced lower).

MicraPIP
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
We are booked on the xmas cruise 2010 and I booked a cat 4... 2 reasons...

1. we are sailing with a 12 and 5 yr old... big age difference so the added space is nice!!

2. this is our first cruise and I want the family to have a great time...

I did look at the price difference between the the inside and outside and porch (verandah) and the difference between the Outside (portal) and the Verandah... wasn't that much (based on how many mounths I have to Pay for it)

So I can't speak from experience but I'd rather be able to watch the sunrise then have no clue what the weather is...

Just my thoughts

DisneyCruiser83
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I have had an inside category 12, a portal window category 8, and a verandah category 5. Out of those, I choose the verandah hands down. Though I agree with others, I had a great time on DCL even in the category 12. I like the verandah over the portal because I can have the private space for my husband and I to enjoy a mimosa in the morning or the breeze as we sail along the ocean. I may do a portal room if the price difference was huge, but I know I could never do an inside room again. Just be warned, that once you have one, it will be hard to go back. I say, as long as your budget can handle it, go for it! But, you will be sure to have a great cruise as long as you are with Disney!

lbgraves
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
We have cruised for 7 days in a cat 8 [was upgraded from an 11], cat 10, cat 4 [was upgraded from an 8], cat 10 and on a 15 day in a cat 8. Dh has decided he prefers a cat 8 instead of a 10 so that is what I book now. While I never would have paid the price for a verandah it was nice to have, though we had to make ourselves make time to go out on it. We started cruising when the kids were 3 and 5 and last time they were 8 and 9. I prefer the set up of the cat 10s over the cat 8s because the bed is in the back of the room and you have a double steamer trunk which gives you more storage room. :)

indigodisney
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
For us, an inside or outside cabin would be fine for the shorter cruises....but we need a balcony for longer cruises, 7 days or more. I think the balcony and the ability to have fresh air when I need it really helps with my seasickness the first night.

dta87
03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Just put me on the ship and I will be happy. That being said, we have an SVR and CAT 11 booked for our next cruise in May. For our B2B last May we had to move from a CAT 11 for the first cruise to the CAT 5 for the second (a move in the other direction may have hurt a little). We enjoyed having the verandah for the 3 nt but didn't use it near enough so this 7 nt will be the decision maker for us on whether a verandah is worth the extra cost.

nurselisa1124
03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I like the outside cabins with a porthole, rather than the veranda...we rarely used it. some of the port hole outside cabins also have the drop down twin bunk bed from the ceiling which is great with teens or younger kids..I always do that ..i think it's o nly on deck 5 and there are only a few cabins that have it...otherwise the couch jsut turns into a twin bed wtihout the ceiling drop down..

SLK1
03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
We have kids and the verandah is very nice, especially when the baby needs to nap - the person with her can still feel like they're on a cruise sitting on the verandah rather than just sitting there staring at the walls. Also, I have an early riser, so he gets up and goes outside to read so he doesn't wake everyone up. Lastly, my husband believes the verandah is a necessity to combat seasickness. I'm not sure it's true, but if he believes it and can overcome feeling ill, more power to him!!!:rotfl:

Im_A_Princess
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
After having a verandah... I can not go back to no verandah.
Not even sure I would take a non-verandah if i was desparate to be on the ship and all that was available was a non-verandah.
That is just me and the DH though:goodvibes
I use it all the time. I do not smoke but I use it for breakfasts, lunches, reading, chillin',watching the fireworks on Pirate Night when the kids are not sailing, ...the list goes on.

lbgraves
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
The category 8 rooms on deck 5 are the same on decks 6 and 7. :) There are more rooms that have the drop down bed than not.

tvguy
03-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Disney is the only cruise line we have had a verandah on, and it was a free upgrade. We all agreed it was great, and we all agreed it would not have been worth the extra it cost ($1,200) if we had booked a verandah and had to pay for it.

CBEB
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Verandah for sure! One of our favorite past times is to sit out there on sea days and read or enjoy a glass of wine. It would be tough to give that up!

jrabbit
03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
We got upgraded to a Handicaped veranda room on our last cruise. The veradanda was HUGE - 25+ feet long (we were in the really big room almost all of the way at the back of the ship). It was so cool!! we spent 10 minutes on it before we left port going "this is so cool" and we spent at least 2 minutes out on it every day saying "this is SO cool".

On our first cruise we had a 9yo and in inside room - and didn't have any issues. THe next cruise was with an 11yo and we were in a inside room again - and we had no issues - other than it was a little disorienting without any natural light. We then had an SPH room and decided that we will always sail with natural light and we have been content with that decision (cat 9's).

If I am paying, I'm stayin' in my Deck 2, cat 9 room. I will not say no to a free upgrade but I WILL NOT PAY FOR IT!! For us it really would not be worth the extra money. Just like the Disneyland hotel - have never stayed there and I don't imagine that I ever will - but I really enjoy the Disneyland resort - and all of that is OUTSIDE my room, just like a cruise - "everything;) " - all of the activities are outside of the room (at least most;) are) in the common areas.

jbm02
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Mindy
We had a cat 9 on deck 2 for 7 days for our first DCL cruise and it was awesome. We loved the big port hole. There was more than enough room for me. 6'5 DH and DS and DD (as compared to the cruise we took for our honeymoon where one of us had to sit on the bed so the other could dressed). Our 2d cruise is scheduled in August. We have a veranda this time - but only because the military rates made it accessible to us. We would have been fine without one but decided to splurge. I'll let you know how it goes!!
Jude

MelissaE1
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
As you can see, to verandah or not is pretty subjective. :) I have only sailed with a verandah with my family (me, DH, 2 kids), although I have sailed DCL with a porthole with just two adults before. For us, it's worth the extra cost and/or time saving up the money. Sunlight and water are a big part of the experience for us and we sit out there with breakfast, reading, afternoon cheese tray, or just watching the water go by, and enjoy it enough to warrant the extra cost. It's almost like having an extra "little room" sometimes. That said, I would consider just a porthole if it was the only way I could get on the ship. I don't think I could personally handle an inside, although a friend of mine actually prefers it. If you have the money, I say go for it. If funding it would limit your vacation in other ways, consider a porthole or inside.

Im_A_Princess
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Verandah for sure! One of our favorite past times is to sit out there on sea days and read or enjoy a glass of wine. It would be tough to give that up!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Cheese tray via room service...glass of wine...verandah...I AM THERE!!!!!

DVCconvert
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
It's clearly a personal choice, but we wouldn't sail at all unless we have a verandah. AM coffee, reading either on sea days or in some ports, evening drinks, watching port arrival/departure operations -- all make us feel this way. YMMV.

American Scrapper
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Definitely Verandah....my favorite time of the day was sitting out on the verandah at night looking into the dark, listening to the water & reading a good book. We have 2 kids and have had no problem with them and the verandah. Gave us a little bit of space too when we were all in the room.

Wunderkind
03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I have been thinking a lot if I want to get a verandah for our next cruise in September on a 7 DAY.

For those of you who have cruised inside staterooms for 7 days with kids, tell me how it went.

For those of you who have cruised verandah style for 7 days with kids, tell me how it went.

I want to know if getting one is worth it.! Thanks bunches.:goodvibes

^^^ This depends on you and your kids. We went on a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise when my daughter was 5 yrs. old and my son was only 4 months old! I loved the experience because the verandah stateroom provided me with a quiet haven away from all the action. I was still nursing my son and it was very nice to sit out there and watch the ocean. He would promptly fall asleep afterwards. My daughter enjoyed sitting out there with me and my husband too. Now, I'm hoping to go on another Disney cruise next year. This time I'm not doing a verandah. Apart from the cost, I personally don't feel it is safe for my son. He is a very active little boy and unless there are significant changes in his activity level between now and when we sail, I plan on having a porthole room or even an inside room. It just seems safer to me that way now. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. The 7-night Disney cruise is one of the best experiences you'll ever have on a cruise ship. Enjoy!

tea for girls
03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Our one and only time to have a verandah the couple next door smoked the entire trip. We had very little time outside where we weren't wheezing. I don't know if I would pay for cabin with a verandah again.

bigbootee
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
It's great to relax on the verandah. We had booked a cat 4 for the 11/8/08 WC on the Magic. We upgraded to a cat 3 at port. and I was spoiled completely. Now, I not only won't sail w/o a verandah, but I ended up booking a cat 3 for 8/18/2010 Eastern Med.

andeeNjoel
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
We just booked a verandah room last night. I am a little worried that our neighbors might be smoking and unknowingly make me uncomfortable. I don't want to deprive them of something they enjoy on their vacation either- so what can be done- could DCL move us? :confused:

Honeibee
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
We had a Navigator's Verandah on the Wonder this past May. This cruise was a Christmas present to my husband. We had cruised a couple of times before, on different cruise lines. This was our first DCL cruise so to make it special I booked a verandah room for the very first time. I thought it would be fabulous.

However....neither of us are smokers and we were next to a cabin of heavy smokers. First thing in the morning, last thing at night, and pretty much any other time we wanted to go out on the verandah it was too smokey and we couldn't stand it. You'd think the ocean breezes would blow the smoke away but I think it did just the opposite, blew it right into the Navigator's Verandah.

I asked if we could be moved but the ship was full.

It was a complete waste of money for me to pay for a verandah we could not use. What a shame, because I am sure we would have loved it.

P.S. Turned out we were seated with the Mr and Mrs Chimney at dinner too! Oh they were awful people. Just awful. Complained about everything! We loved the cruise though, despite all the above. :thumbsup2

NancyIL
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I agree with kcashner - I would rather cruise twice in a cheap cabin than once in a balcony. We had a balcony cabin on our 4-night Disney cruise - only because I cruised with my mom and she wanted it. (In hindsight - I should've made her pay the difference! :rotfl:) Another time I got a free upgrade to a balcony cabin on a Royal Caribbean cruise. They're nice to have, and I'd gladly accept one if someone else paid for it! :teeth:

NancyIL
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
We got upgraded to a Handicaped veranda room on our last cruise. The veradanda was HUGE - 25+ feet long (we were in the really big room almost all of the way at the back of the ship). It was so cool!! we spent 10 minutes on it before we left port going "this is so cool" and we spent at least 2 minutes out on it every day saying "this is SO cool".

That's what we had - a cat. 6 handicap-accessible at the back of deck 6. I missed the size of the cabin more than I missed the balcony on subsequent cruises.

Jynohn
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
After our second experience with smokers next to us, I won't be paying for a verandah again. On our first cruise we had smokers on both sides of us, so there was very little time that we were able to enjoy the fresh air without someone's smoke wafting over. For the next cruise, we booked a category 9 and while we missed the extra space, the porthole gave us enough natural light that it didn't feel claustrophobic.

We were booked in a cat. 9 again for our trip last week, but were upgraded at the last minute to a cat. 7 with a navigator's verandah. While it was a nice suprise, we didn't get to use it much because of CIGAR smokers next door. It was so bad that we could smell it in our cabin even with the verandah door closed. We didn't complain as it was a free upgrade (although I did mention it on my comment card) but I would have been extremely upset if I had paid $1,000+ for a verandah that I didn't get to fully enjoy.

I know that smokers are within their rights to smoke on their balconies, but until Disney addresses this issue in some way, I'd rather save the money. :(

amystevekai&bump
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
We've tried all three options -

1st cruise - inside cabin (we took a nap one afternoon and woke up in the middle of the night as we had no clue what time of day it was!!:lmao: )

2nd cruise - Verandah (LOVED it!!:cloud9: )

3rd cruise - knew we didn't want an inside room and couldn't really stretch to a verandah, so had a window. We REALLY missed the verandah -so for us our next cruise (and all future ones!!:thumbsup2 ) will have a verandah!!

WE just love having our own personal outdoor space - for breakfast, afternoon breaks, late evening - Just bliss (especially now with two children!!)

hope that helps a little!!:thumbsup2

TraciM
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
We had a verandah this past September when we were on the Wonder. We have booked a 7 day Western for January and got a room with a window. The verandah was nice but really we were not on it that much. If the price were a few hundred dollars difference I think we would have gotten it but it was almost $750 so we passed.

tvguy
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
After our second experience with smokers next to us, I won't be paying for a verandah again. On our first cruise we had smokers on both sides of us, so there was very little time that we were able to enjoy the fresh air without someone's smoke wafting over. For the next cruise, we booked a category 9 and while we missed the extra space, the porthole gave us enough natural light that it didn't feel claustrophobic.

We were booked in a cat. 9 again for our trip last week, but were upgraded at the last minute to a cat. 7 with a navigator's verandah. While it was a nice suprise, we didn't get to use it much because of CIGAR smokers next door. It was so bad that we could smell it in our cabin even with the verandah door closed. We didn't complain as it was a free upgrade (although I did mention it on my comment card) but I would have been extremely upset if I had paid $1,000+ for a verandah that I didn't get to fully enjoy.

I know that smokers are within their rights to smoke on their balconies, but until Disney addresses this issue in some way, I'd rather save the money. :(

DW and I are very sensitive to smoke, and had smokers next to us. As sea it was never an issue...the ship was going 20 miles and hour and add in another 10 to 20 mile an hour beeze, and all we got was fresh air.

Lemonbee
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
We decided to splurge and get the verandah for the Med cruise. It's ten days so I think it will be worth it.

mindy327
03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Perhaps (DCL if your reading this) they should designate a Verandah smoking area. Like rooms ####-#### be smoking rooms. Maybe that would help. But I think as for my decision were going to go for it! Your own space to chill in your pjs is really worth the thoughts of it to me!

kcashner
03-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Perhaps (DCL if your reading this) they should designate a Verandah smoking area. Like rooms ####-#### be smoking rooms. Maybe that would help. But I think as for my decision were going to go for it! Your own space to chill in your pjs is really worth the thoughts of it to me!

This is exactly my view. Since they have made the starboard side of decks 9 and 10 smoking areas, perhaps they should extend this so that verandahs on the starboard side are smoking; those on the port side are non-smoking. If the demand doesn't justify an entire side, then designate certain verandahs as smoking areas and book smokers into those cabins.

Yes, smokers have every right to smoke on their verandahs. But I have a right to enjoy my verandah smoke free.

hannahguad
03-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Mindy,
Okay, now I see that you are going in September---are you doing it this year?? I am in Arizona (North Phoenix) as well and I am going on the western September 19th cruise, I would love to have a fellow Arizonian on there! :goodvibes

BTW, we did our first cruise with a veranda, we now have the veranda bug and will not do it again without one. We ate room service on the verandah several times and it was so peacefull to watch the ocean go by!! No brown desert!:rotfl:

MN_Cruz'n
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Our third cruise is in late August, and this is our first time with a window (no veranda). We have always had a category 11 room.

We just couldn't see justifying the higher price for a window/veranda we never use. Once we are up and awake, we are never in our room. We are always doing something somewhere on deck or in port, so for us, no veranda is not a big deal.

Nik's Mom
03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
We currently have a verandah room booked for our June 2010 5 day cruise, but I'm seriously thinking of switching to a porthole room. It's so hard to decide. I'm afraid I will regret it.

skoi
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
A warning...one you get one, you won't want to sail without one! :goodvibes

Definitely. We started with a porthole, and went to a verandah. Then, our family expanded from four to six, and for our last cruise we would have needed two cabins, so booked two 11s. Well, I had to have my verandah, and we ended up with one.

I liked it when the little ones still napped, because I could sit outside and I wasn't stuck in the room. That said, the two big kids and I are going on a Med cruise and we've booked an 11 because I figure we won't need the space or the nap escape spot.