PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the internet on the Wonder

lttlmc3
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Are there internet "cafes" on board for those to keep up with family at home while sailing?

kcashner
03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
There is an internet cafe and wifi. The service is SLOW. Some locations are better than others. Cost is 75 cents per minute or there are packages available (like 100 minutes for $55). Hint--download your e-mail, then log off. Answer, type whatever you need to, then log back on to sent.

Some ports have internet cafes where the first 5 or 10 minutes are free.

My suggestion--you're on vacation. Enjoy it and don't keep in touch!

tvguy
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, we have a rule on cruises. "No calls. No e-mails. Talk to you when we get home". It's a rule my 85 year mom first imposed, and one we follow when we cruise.

dvschem
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I brought my laptop along and purchased 100 minutes of internet for $55.00. WiFi was "available" in my stateroom but it was so slow and unstable as to be almost unusable though. It was very frustrating to literally spend five minutes trying to use webmail to send a short, text only email.

Here's my big internet tip ...., open a word processing document and type your emails out BEFORE you log on to your internet account. Then you just cut and paste the words to your email and hit send. That way you are not using up valuable internet time while typing out the email.

DrD
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, we have a rule on cruises. "No calls. No e-mails. Talk to you when we get home". It's a rule my 85 year mom first imposed, and one we follow when we cruise.

What people don't seem to understand is that some of us ENJOY staying in touch. Also, how else can we post the new menus?! If I wait until we get back I might not be first!

aiken4mickey
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
:surfweb: I thought it would be fun to send an email from the ship...so, I gave it a try....but, after 10-15 minutes of trying to log on...and getting NO WHERE...I said forget that! So, I was charged for that time...and had nothing to show for it...can't remember how much...probably only a couple of dollars...or I would have made a fuss....if emailing had been important to me...FRUSTRATING is the word I come up with.

Donald_Quackers
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I tried it for a few, got in a quick post about missing Castaway Cay the first day, but decided it was too slow for my taste.

I just composed my trip report in Word and posted it all when I got home.

Im_A_Princess
03-18-2009, 08:36 AM
It is very sloooooooooow. Frustrating!

Jestocost
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
The Internet service is satellite based, which means that latency is always high and the speeds are generally slow. It also means that the service can be unavailable for periods of time.

DrD
03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Are there any wifi spots in Nassau?