PDA

View Full Version : snorkel lagoon???

g-ma
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Can someone who's never snorkeled do this? O.K. busted, yes it's me and I'm almost hitting (hand over mouth) 50. And I hate to say it, I'm a smoker.

Can I do this? My husband would love to see the fish and sites. How deep is the water. How deep do you go? Do they give you a minnie lesson first?

Thanks guys, you rock!

dta87
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
The snorkeling at CC is pretty tame. I am in no way a strong snorkeler (I have not convinced myself yet I can dive below the waterline and hold my breath) and I have no problem. DCL requires you to wear the provided life vest and, if you choose to inflate it, basically you are just floating on top of the water with minimal effort. Depending upon the tides it can get deep (10-20ft?) but again with an inflated life vest there should not be an issue resting if needed. They mark all the main things to see with bouy's so you can limit your unnecessary swimming that way (It took us 3 cruises to find the Mickey/Minnie statues because we did not know this or they did not mark them before). The snorkeling at CC is OJT, no lessons at least that I have seen. Overall, it is a fun to do and there is a lot to see.

kcashner
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Absolutely. I did my first snorkeling in the snorkel lagoon at Castaway Cay at 40 something years old....and at least once a year since then. I've also branched out...

This place is relatively safe as there are lifeguards and lots of people, a net structure to prevent large fish from entering, mandatory snorkel vests, etc. My only hint would be to wear an old t-shirt over your swimsuit and use lots of sunscreen on the backs of your legs. I got a ferocious burn the first time.