PDA

View Full Version : Medical Form before cruising?

peyjax
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
My son has a peanut allergy. The CM mentioned something about a medical form to send in. I am not sure if it is mandatory or what. His allergy is not super severe but I do carry an Epi pen with me just in case. Can I not just tell them that when I check in if not how does it work. Sorry the whole process is new. Thanks!

lbgraves
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
If you send in the form then they will have it noted on your reservation and the Kid's club supervisor will be aware of it along with dining manager who will know to come see you at your first meal before you order. I don't know if it is mandatory that you let them know, but I am not sure why you would not want them to know so that everyone will be prepared and you won't have to worry about lists being updated to include your son's information.

atinkerbellmom
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
If the allergy is serious enough to have an Epi Pen, then you need to fill out the form. There is a nice little family of us FAAN parents here on the DIS. DCL use to not take the kids Epi pens in the clubs and some of us advocated soooo much that now they have been trained and the pen goes to the clubs with them. :banana: :banana: They also do special food prep in a seperate area for our children and if you want, you can request your own table. The form is on the DCL web site. Just print it off, have the doctor fill it out (I fill it out and just have my doctor sign it) & sign it. The pen has to be labled with the child's name BTW. Many pharamacies lable the box and not the pen, so make sure the pen is also labled. If the one you have is not, then go back to your local pharamacy & they can do it for you. Also, they take the kids to meals, so the CM need to know this as well. JUst a good idea to not skip this step. :thumbsup2 DCL is amazing..... Even though we had a reaction our last cruise, we still have faith in them. We have cruised DCL multiple times. If you need other pointers, I have a lot of allergy threads grouped in my CP... We cruise a special cruiseline with our special kids.;)

kcashner
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
My son has a peanut allergy. The CM mentioned something about a medical form to send in. I am not sure if it is mandatory or what. His allergy is not super severe but I do carry an Epi pen with me just in case. Can I not just tell them that when I check in if not how does it work. Sorry the whole process is new. Thanks!

If you send in the medical form, everyone who interacts with you child in a situation where food might be served will be made aware of the situation--specifically, your head server and server and the Club or Lab counselors. In addition, any special equipment you may need will be available to you (refrigerator for meds, etc). You can use the form to request a "private" table in the dining room (just your family) if you'd like.

Basically, you download and fill out the form, obtain your doctor's signature, and fax it in (the doc's office may fax it for you). Be sure to keep a copy to bring to the port with you. It is a good idea to call DCL a couple weeks before the cruise to be sure that they have the form on file.

On the first night, your head server will discuss the issues with you and will then advise you of what is safe. If you choose to use a buffet line, again, notify them when you enter--they'll have a head server go thru the line with you. They will prepare special food if necessary.