PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Question

hanlin
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
We are flying AirTran for our May cruise and I am putting together an itinerary for our party. I want to remind everyone about the baggage charge but I've confused myself! I know there is a $15 charge for the first checked bag but the website says per reservation. I thought it was per person, meaning my bag would be $15, DH's would be $15, DD's would be $15 and MIL's would be $15. Is this not correct? As I read it on their site it would be $15 the 1st bag $25 the second and $50 after that!!:confused: What's the correct way of thinking?

Olga
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
ETA, sorry wrong post.

trimix
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
What's the correct way of thinking?

I believe the correct way of thinking is, "The airline's staff should know the airline's policies, so I'll call the airline for clarification."

Airline policies change regularly; I would go to the source for the most up to date information.

Twinprincesses
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
I am pretty sure each person is a reservation... At least that is how they charged us when we went. http://www.airtran.com/policies/carry-on_checked.aspx#summary

It is $15 first persons bag Their second bag is $25. Every bag per person over the 2 is $50.

Carryons are free but limited to 1 per person.

They used to give you a discount if you did online checkin but it looks like that is gone.

Tneah
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Yes, $15.00 for the first bag for each person. Then additonal rates apply for a second and third if anybody has more than 1 bag.

They are pretty strict with the bags weight, too. If one bag weighs more than 50lbs than you'll be charged an additional fee. They give you a chance to pull things out and put them on carry-ons or other checked baggage.

I was over by 1.5lbs.

hanlin
03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks Tneah and Twinprincesses! I knew someone here would have the answer!!!!!:thumbsup2

tvguy
03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow, I can not imagine having to pay for the first bag. Weight restrictions I understand. All those baggage fees do is prompt folks to try and squeeze everything into their carryons. Nothing worse in my opinion that some clod getting on with a couple of huge carryons, and then wonder why they don't fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.

LissaW16
03-27-2009, 04:08 PM
We flew MSP-MCO on AirTran in Feb 2009. We had 3 passengers on the reservation, and 3 checked bags cost us $45, or $15 per person, each way (so it was another $45 to get them all home).

belle26
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, $15.00 for the first bag for each person. Then additonal rates apply for a second and third if anybody has more than 1 bag.

They are pretty strict with the bags weight, too. If one bag weighs more than 50lbs than you'll be charged an additional fee. They give you a chance to pull things out and put them on carry-ons or other checked baggage.

I was over by 1.5lbs.

they don't always let you pull stuff out. We were 1/2 pound over and she threatened to send us to the end of the very long line if we even tried to take a thing out of the bag. But, I think this is the extreme, not the norm! Even though we were the first flight out, I think she was already having a bad day!

belle26
03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
They are also very strict about the size of the bag as well as the weight. In Philly last year, she actually took a tape measure out and measured the bag. We knew the bag was under weight, but had no idea they would actually measure the bag also.