PDA

View Full Version : Save a Table with a Water Bottle??!! Are you serious?

mketting
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
So we went up to BB for Breakfast the first morning of the cruise. We went through the buffet line and then went out on deck to look for a table. There was 8 of us so when we saw two tables close by we headed for those. The kids all sat at one table and my sister and I sat at the other (DH's were a ways behind us in line) The table had a water bottle (Just a plane old plastic bottle) on it and a navigator. We had been there about two minutes when a man came up with his wife and son and said that that was his water bottle and navigator and he had put hose there to save the table. I just looked at him, then he said "We have a young child with us" . Surprisingly my sister got up to move, I had no plans to move but didn't want to cause a scene and this guy just wasn't going to move on. As I was moving I reminded him that this is a Disney Cruise, and almost all of us have Children.

As you can imagine I'm not a fan of "saving" chairs on deck with a towel either.

rantnnravin
03-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I would have told him it looked like someone had left their garbage, and that when we go to buffets, one of us stays at the table while the other takes DD up I would have apologized for the misunderstanding, and offered for him to pull up a few chairs for his family to share the table.:lmao:
why didn't you toss the abandoned bottle and navigator in the trash?

Dreamsoftravel
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Interesting. Never saw that at Topsiders. However, agree with the lounge chair at the pool. I never was able to get a chair at the pool the whole time we were there. I always ended up on deck 10 with a chair and told my kids I was up there if they needed me. I would then move the chair so I can see the pool and watch them. I understand adults putting towels on their chair, not sure every young child needs a lounge chair as well.

IndyDisneyFan
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree that if I would have seen only a bottle of water and a navagator I would have assumed that whoever was there before forgot to take them with them. I probably would have thrown them away. When they came back, I would have told them that next time someone should stay with the table if they intend to come back. On our last cruise we had some guy with his son who were behind us in the buffet line at breakfast. When we found a table he quickly pushed past us and set down his tray just as I was setting my down! I didn't say anything, just glared at him. Some people are just rude!

Laura

yazee1
03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
On our last cruise we had some guy with his son who were behind us in the buffet line at breakfast. When we found a table he quickly pushed past us and set down his tray just as I was setting my down! I didn't say anything, just glared at him. Some people are just rude!

Laura

Let's hope the adrenaline rush he experienced from dashing in front of you and stealing your table ruined his digestion as he ate his breakfast. ;)

In reference to the table savers, I wonder if there more than just you and your sister sitting there, he wouldn't have marched over and tried to "reclaim" "his" table. Leaving a bottled water and a Navigator to save a table is so dumb, I'm guessing they were new to cruising and furthermore had never visited the DIs boards to learn cruise manners and tricks. I'm glad your sister pointed out the obvious fact that they were not the only ones with children with them. DUH. I hope it helped them get a clue.

atinkerbellmom
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I would have tossed the bottle and placed my tray on top of the navigator. When they came back, I would have said, I am sure a CM tossed any trash on the tables, but then told him to feel free to pull up a few chairs and join us...:lmao: :lmao: I would have then pointed to my other table with all the kids and invited his child to join them. :goodvibes

Fatphil32
03-16-2009, 12:49 AM
As you can imagine I'm not a fan of "saving" chairs on deck with a towel either.

It's actually against the rules to save chairs with a towel on DCL. If you see one with a towel on it, you should feel free to take it.

mmouse37
03-16-2009, 05:27 AM
It's actually against the rules to save chairs with a towel on DCL. If you see one with a towel on it, you should feel free to take it.

That is a pretty general statement.....so if you left your chair to go into the pool and were looking forward to laying in the sun to dry off after you got out, you would be OK with someone removing your towel and claiming your chair while you were in the pool. I don't think so.

Let's clarify that you should not leave a towel on a chair to "claim" it in the morning and then not show up for hours or that you should not leave your chair in the middle of the day for any significant length of time or it will fair game.

I don't think it is fair to say that any chair with a towel on it is free game as someone may just be in the pool and I feel they are entitled to return to their chair to dry off.

MJ

scootch
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
now I am an adult traveling with my two girls alone(7 and 9).... guess I need to carry a backpack or something with me??? I would never have put a water bottle there... guess I never really thought about needing to save a table.... thanks for the insight.

papaof5boys
03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Look my Dw and I have been Maried for 22 years and have 5 sons 19,18,16,6and 3. We have been all over the world on trips with some or all of them. why not lets the wife or husband stay with 1 kid and the other get in line or stay at the table. Its just rude to leve ( TRASH ) on the table to hold it. I'm sorry but i would not have moved, and as for holding deck chairs with a towle,
how am I to know if its not a dirty towle some slob just left there.

kcashner
03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
The bottom line is that there is no saving of tables, pool chairs, seats in the WD theatre, etc. In fairness, we usually temper that with a bit of reason--yes, my DD can join me in the theatre and then go get a drink...and come back quickly...leaving a sweater on the chair while she's gone. BUT she's gone 3 minutes, and it is one seat, not a whole row. And, if someone insisted, I would have to give up her seat.

Pool chairs--again, reason. Yes, a towel on a chair might indicate that someone is in the pool or has gone to the restroom. If it stays there for 30 minutes, it's an abandoned chair!

I came into the theatre one night and a kid (maybe 9 or 10) was saving a whole row for his family. I took a seat and he told me those were his. I told him that he should read the Navigator--there was no saving seats, and I'd be happy to tell his parents that when they arrived. I never heard from the parents.

The CMs are happy to help you find a table in or near Topsiders.....

CurlyBlueEyes
03-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Its even listed in the Navigators that I have been scouring (in preparation for my Sept Western trip). I think I may get an extra Nav or 2 and highlight the "no saving chairs" rule. Maybe even be conveniently reading that section when someone comes to re-claim their chair. ;)

Is there a prime time for lunch? Because I won't have kids with me, should I go earlier or later... or is it a steady stream of people?

Does the adult pool have chair hogs too?

jnadelman
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm not quite sure why it is like this at the buffet. If you go to a buffet in a hotel, it works just like a normal restaurant and they assign you a table.
Cruises should work the same way, at least at peak meal hours anyway.

mmouse37
03-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm not quite sure why it is like this at the buffet. If you go to a buffet in a hotel, it works just like a normal restaurant and they assign you a table.
Cruises should work the same way, at least at peak meal hours anyway.

It does not work that way...first come first served for tables....you may have to circle around a bit to find an empty table.

MJ

mmouse37
03-16-2009, 08:43 AM
The bottom line is that there is no saving of tables, pool chairs, seats in the WD theatre, etc. In fairness, we usually temper that with a bit of reason--yes, my DD can join me in the theatre and then go get a drink...and come back quickly...leaving a sweater on the chair while she's gone. BUT she's gone 3 minutes, and it is one seat, not a whole row. And, if someone insisted, I would have to give up her seat.

Pool chairs--again, reason. Yes, a towel on a chair might indicate that someone is in the pool or has gone to the restroom. If it stays there for 30 minutes, it's an abandoned chair!

I came into the theatre one night and a kid (maybe 9 or 10) was saving a whole row for his family. I took a seat and he told me those were his. I told him that he should read the Navigator--there was no saving seats, and I'd be happy to tell his parents that when they arrived. I never heard from the parents.

The CMs are happy to help you find a table in or near Topsiders.....

Obviously common sense comes into play with anything. But, if I am in the pool for a few minutes and I come out and my chair is taken I would be peeved. Of course I usually have more than just a plain white towel on my chair, I would have my DCL logo towel and/or a beach cover up or something. The chair would not look abandoned it would look used. If there was just a plain white towel and no other personal belongings around I think it could be safely assumed the chair is abandoned.

I just wish people would clear away their used towels from chairs when they are done so it is easier to find chairs to begin with and not have to guess if the chair is still occupied.

MJ

jrabbit
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
The table had a water bottle (Just a plane old plastic bottle) on it and a navigator. We had been there about two minutes when a man came up with his wife and son and said that that was his water bottle and navigator and he had put hose there to save the table. OK this is a pet peeve of mine - on the ship or in the parks. Disney lays out the restaurants as follows, you go in the main doors, get your food, then head out to the tables, after you eat, you exit - and the "trafic flows".

After all of the "training" they do to us in the parks about geting in a line for the rides, all of that training goes out the window at the restaurants. People walk in the exit, find a table and send the others in their party to get food.

So now you have half of the tables occupied by one person not eating and you have a whole lot of people walking around with trays of food looking at all of the mostly empty tables (while those waiting for their food gatherers to get through the stopped line because of those people with food looking for a table, etc).

CLASIC GRIDLOCK!!

The solutions, go with the flow, don't plug it up. Get your food, Get your table, Get out.

safetymom
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I see no problem if one person stays behind with the kids at the table while the other one goes to get their food. I would rather they do that than having small kids in the buffet line.

sbell111
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
This afternoon, I ate lunch at a buffet restaurant that has 'open seating'. I came in, paid for my meal, set my novel down on the table of my choice, and then went to get some grub. Certainly, I had the expectation that people would respect my book as a valid placeholder for that table and it would have been understandable for me to want my table back if someone took it.

As such, I think it is reasonable for people to expect that their water bottle and navigator should be able to save their table. I understand how someone could be confused as to whether the bottle & navigator were left behind or not, but the table was still theirs.

Next, we are going to decide that a person can not leave their table to get more food and expect to be able to sit back down.:rolleyes:

lbgraves
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I see no problem if one person stays behind with the kids at the table while the other one goes to get their food. I would rather they do that than having small kids in the buffet line.

We also split up when dining at both WDW and on the ship. I get in line to order the food while DH and the kids go sit down and get the napkins etc. IMO the lines are crowded enough and it makes it much less hectic without having kids fidgeting in line for 20 minutes or more. On the ship DS only eats chicken tenders so we grab him a double order on they way to TS and he goes and sits at a table while the rest of us go through the buffet.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Obviously common sense comes into play with anything. But, if I am in the pool for a few minutes and I come out and my chair is taken I would be peeved. Of course I usually have more than just a plain white towel on my chair, I would have my DCL logo towel and/or a beach cover up or something. The chair would not look abandoned it would look used. If there was just a plain white towel and no other personal belongings around I think it could be safely assumed the chair is abandoned.

I just wish people would clear away their used towels from chairs when they are done so it is easier to find chairs to begin with and not have to guess if the chair is still occupied.

MJ
I agree. When DH takes youngest to the pool (and I say that because he often is the one taking her while I'm getting ready for dinner or whatnot) there is more than just a DCL white towel on the chair IF he happens to walk up to her, get something to eat, etc. All his stuff (shirt, sunscreen, etc.) and her stuff (personalized towel and/or coverup, etc.) is on that same chair. If it's ONLY a towel then it's probably harder to recognize if it's being used at the time. An easy solution is leave something- sunscreen, sunglasses, any little personal item that they will know those item(s) weren't abandoned like a DCL towel might be. It's not like you'll be far away from it to worry about your sunscreen or something stolen right from under you?

OK this is a pet peeve of mine - on the ship or in the parks. Disney lays out the restaurants as follows, you go in the main doors, get your food, then head out to the tables, after you eat, you exit - and the "trafic flows".

After all of the "training" they do to us in the parks about geting in a line for the rides, all of that training goes out the window at the restaurants. People walk in the exit, find a table and send the others in their party to get food.

So now you have half of the tables occupied by one person not eating and you have a whole lot of people walking around with trays of food looking at all of the mostly empty tables (while those waiting for their food gatherers to get through the stopped line because of those people with food looking for a table, etc).

CLASIC GRIDLOCK!!

The solutions, go with the flow, don't plug it up. Get your food, Get your table, Get out.
Nope, not gonna do it.
Not after the first crusie where we did it this way and then had all 5 of us walking around and around with our trays- the entire time our food getting cold and me worried that one of the kids were going to drop their trays or something. Nope. Now we go in- I take any/all of our belongings and find us a table...I wait (usually with the youngest child) and when they get to the table with their food we head off to get ours. We've never had an encounter where myself/youngest (who waited to get our food by holding the table) were the last to eat at our table therefore holding up the table longer- we always finish first because we eat less.
I'm NOT going to go thru that again walking around and around all 5 of us holding trays of food quickly getting cold and the potential for spilling it trying to find a table. nope, not gonna happen.
(ps. I have to add that the first time that happened- getting food and walking around to find a table- we ended up taking LONGER because we sat down, all realized our food was disgusting cold, and we all had to get up -split up so I could hold the table- to get food AGAIN! waste of food, waste of time, and kept the table longer than we would have had I saved a table to begin with!)

orlandothebeagle
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Mmmmmmm

I would also have got up as would not have had time to think, but would have been annoyed with myself later.
IMHO you cant save tables unless some is sitting at it.
Or unless your food is on it obvioulsy.

Silly Little Pixie
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Never had a problem getting a table at BBB or Topsiders.

I tend to just give rude self-centered behavior a wide berth. Some people are just the center of the universe and have no consideration for others.

Agree with the gridlock post jrabbit but some people are just untrainable.

ITA;) I certainly see why someone with a young child or a toddler needs to sit first and let the rest of the party go through the line, then switch. But when they have older children/teens, who can carry trays with ease? Just go with the flow! It's just common sense. OP, I would have assumed a table with a water bottle and navigator was empty, too. We didn't have ANY problem finding a table on our cruise, and we generally don't in the parks, either. Yesterday we were at a crowded restaurant in Disneyland... saw tons of teens sitting at tables "saving" them. :rolleyes1 We found a table within 30 seconds. It was really unnecessary to "save" even on this crowded day, unless you had wee kiddos (and none of the teens we saw appeared to...:lmao: ).

lbgraves
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree. When DH takes youngest to the pool (and I say that because he often is the one taking her while I'm getting ready for dinner or whatnot) there is more than just a DCL white towel on the chair IF he happens to walk up to her, get something to eat, etc. All his stuff (shirt, sunscreen, etc.) and her stuff (personalized towel and/or coverup, etc.) is on that same chair. If it's ONLY a towel then it's probably harder to recognize if it's being used at the time. An easy solution is leave something- sunscreen, sunglasses, any little personal item that they will know those item(s) weren't abandoned like a DCL towel might be. It's not like you'll be far away from it to worry about your sunscreen or something stolen right from under you?

It can happen. I went to the Quiet Cove pool for the first time on the PC repo and put my towel, coverup and waterproof card holder on a chair next to several of my friends' chairs and sat in the hottub for 15-20 minutes. when I got out everything was gone and someone else's gold KTTW card and other items was on the chair...who was no where to be found or too insecure enough to admit it was their name myself or the CM helping me find my things was calling out. After about 30 minutes of all of us searching, we found my things in the dirty towel bin. I would not have been that upset to find my things on the deck with my shoes, which were still under the front of the chair but found it quite rude and unneccesary to have everything chucked into the dirty towel bin. As it was, they were not around at the time and never responded in 30 minutes so technically, someone could have cleared their things from the chair...and I admit that it did cross my mind...but I was happy to finally have my KTTW card so that I could return to the room and get ready for dinner. That has never happened to us at the Mickey or Goofy pool.

jrabbit
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Nope, not gonna do it.
Not after the first crusie where we did it this way and then had all 5 of us walking around and around with our trays- aaaah, but that is the point of my rant. IF (I know, its a big 'if') everyone went with the natural order of things, get in line, get your food, find a table and eat you would not have had to walk around (sic "forever") because you would have an easier time getting a tables because over half of them wouldn't be saved for someone BEHIND YOU in line. Instead we have gridlock with the haves (got my food but "nowhere" to sit) and have nots (hey, I got my table and sometime in the next 20 minutes food will show up).

Haven't you wondered why the buffet line comes before the tables in the restaruants :confused3

safetymom
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
This is the never ending debate. Most restaurants I have been in the buffet is after the tables. For myself and my friends when we are with children we find it much easier to seat them and an adult and go up to the buffet.

I don't see myself changing that.

TiaMaria
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
It can happen. I went to the Quiet Cove pool for the first time on the PC repo and put my towel, coverup and waterproof card holder on a chair next to several of my friends' chairs and sat in the hottub for 15-20 minutes. when I got out everything was gone and someone else's gold KTTW card and other items was on the chair...who was no where to be found or too insecure enough to admit it was their name myself or the CM helping me find my things was calling out. After about 30 minutes of all of us searching, we found my things in the dirty towel bin. I would not have been that upset to find my things on the deck with my shoes, which were still under the front of the chair but found it quite rude and unneccesary to have everything chucked into the dirty towel bin. As it was, they were not around at the time and never responded in 30 minutes so technically, someone could have cleared their things from the chair...and I admit that it did cross my mind...but I was happy to finally have my KTTW card so that I could return to the room and get ready for dinner. That has never happened to us at the Mickey or Goofy pool.

I have to say, Lisa, that you are nicer than me! If that had happened to me, Mr/Mrs Gold Card wouldn't have found their things on the chair...or the dirty towel bin...they would have been in the trash! :mad:

Why can't people just display common courtesy for goodness sakes? :confused3

tinkerone
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm minority here and don't want to get flack but I see nothing wrong with saving a table with a bottle of water and navagator. now that being said, was the bottle empty? that would make a difference to me. saving a table with a book is something i have often done as sometimes it makes more sense. not everyone would see it this way, as i am reading, but i have enough to worry about without getting upset over seating.
and am i the only one who sees stuff left at tables or is the concern just about what items were left? if you want a table outside this is often the only option without standing with your tray in hand waiting and your meal getting cold.

acourtwdw
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Would it have mattered to the OP if the table was being "held" by something else, like a beach bag? I personally won't remove items from tables/chairs. They are there for a reason, whether I know (understand) that reason or not. I will find a CM to remove items from tables/chairs if that is the very the last open place.

ruadisneyfan2
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I have to say, Lisa, that you are nicer than me! If that had happened to me, Mr/Mrs Gold Card wouldn't have found their things on the chair...or the dirty towel bin...they would have been in the trash! :mad:

I agree! My blood boils whenever I hear this story. :mad: :headache: I can't stand self-righteous people with some sense of entitlement who think they can do whatever they want. :sick: So Rude!!! and sadly this is probably being taught to their children. :sad2:

BobandLee
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Sadly, there seems to be less and less of it.
We have noticed how cruisers have changed from when we took our first Disney cruise during that inaugural cruising season til now.
It seems to be more about "me and mine" than about "everyone".

Vegaslover
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Rules of etiquette apply everywhere. If these people don't have manners on a cruise, they don't have manners anywhere else.

Looks like I may have to travel with my brass knuckles. :rotfl2:

Fatphil32
03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Is there a prime time for lunch? Because I won't have kids with me, should I go earlier or later... or is it a steady stream of people?

The buffett isn't real impressive on the cruise line and I usually bypass it for other options like the pizzaria or to get a taco or burger by the Mickey pool. It's one of those things where one minute there may be one person in line and the next there may be nine people. You shouldn't have to wait anymore than ten minutes to get food at lunch, usually, save for embarkation when it's very busy.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
OMG how rude!
Their card was there though, right? If I read that correctly. Then they should know WHO did it and maybe have a talk with them about moving people's belongings to dump them in the dirty towel bin? That was so uncool... so very uncool. :(
Fortunately DH is mostly sitting there actually using the chair so that hasn't happened to him before. And we've also ALL 5 OF US shared one chair- we try to be as considerate to others knowing that all 5 of us aren't going to sit there long (maybe for a moment to munch on something or talk- then everyone is going their seperate direction even if DH is staying there with littlest in the pool/slide). If we're all 5 using one chair and have a ton of stuff on it and someone moved it- I would not be happy at all! and to find my stuff in the towel bin after spending a bunch of time to find it- oh that's sooo uncool. :(

aaaah, but that is the point of my rant. IF (I know, its a big 'if') everyone went with the natural order of things, get in line, get your food, find a table and eat you would not have had to walk around (sic "forever") because you would have an easier time getting a tables because over half of them wouldn't be saved for someone BEHIND YOU in line. Instead we have gridlock with the haves (got my food but "nowhere" to sit) and have nots (hey, I got my table and sometime in the next 20 minutes food will show up).

Haven't you wondered why the buffet line comes before the tables in the restaruants :confused3
Well, first off there is the side to go off to the tables directly next to the buffet. It's not like that is blocked off so you HAVE to go thru the buffet line before getting to the tables.
But with that said- I must also add that when we were walking around trying to find tables I did not see ONE just being "saved". There were people actually eating at all of them- so no, your theory wouldn't have applied in our situation. When we do the split/divide thing I described- sometimes I'm still walking around trying to find a table before the older ones/DH have got out of the buffet with their food- and still not seeing anyone saving tables/everyone eating. so :confused3

I'm sorry but the scenario you describe is not what we encountered. We weren't walking around trying to find tables while "half" of them were saved- everyone was eating at those tables! Perhaps we picked the exact time everyone else wanted to eat- I dunno. Probably- considering our luck sometimes. :lmao:

(and btw- sometime in the next 20 minutes our food will show up? We probably take less than 20 minutes TOTAL doing it the way I do it. we're not lingering eaters though. LOL I'm so NOT sitting there saving a table for my family to join me for 20min- from the time I sit down while they go to the buffet until we're ALL DONE and getting up to leave is probably 20min max sometimes- maybe 30min max sometimes but I'm betting closer to 20min total. I can't remember ever lingering- we go in there, do our thing, eat quickly and off to do other things on the ship!)

sbell111
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
aaaah, but that is the point of my rant. IF (I know, its a big 'if') everyone went with the natural order of things, get in line, get your food, find a table and eat you would not have had to walk around (sic "forever") because you would have an easier time getting a tables because over half of them wouldn't be saved for someone BEHIND YOU in line. Instead we have gridlock with the haves (got my food but "nowhere" to sit) and have nots (hey, I got my table and sometime in the next 20 minutes food will show up).

Haven't you wondered why the buffet line comes before the tables in the restaruants :confused3I occurs to me that your natural order of things isn't necessarily everyone's natural order of things. For my family, it's more natural to find a table, put our stuff down, and then go through the line.

I also don't see the difference between leaving a member of the party at the table to save it or leaving personal property on the table. If anything, leaving something on the table is more efficient since all members of the party would recieve their food quicker.

tjbaggott
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I remember on our last Cruise there was a large group of families who were all together ( a reunion of sorts for families who had adopted children from China). I thought it was wonderful that they could all get together like that, and how all the little girls had something in common with one another.
I had heard that saving seats in the Theatre for the pre and post dinner shows was not allowed, BUT, every evening after dinner when we went to the theatre, all those little girls were already there and there was enough of them that a whole row was filled, plus when the parents showed up, an entire second row was filled. These girls always claimed the same row of seats, for themselves and would put a sweater or something on the seats behind them that were intended for their parents. No problem with the girls having those seats (some would deam them the best in the theatre) but the fact that my children wanted to sit in the middle near the front could never happen because they were always there and saving seats. I told me own children on the last night, that if they wanted to sit there, they would have to be there first. So we went and lined up at the doors before the theatre opened. The group of girls soon came to join the lineup, and were quite surprised that they were not the first in line that night. My kids got the seats in the middle of said row, and that threw the girls off just long enough that the other early arrivals ended up taking the row of seats beside and behind us. Other cruise patrons even mentioned to the girls who began complaining that those were their seats, that there were pleanty of other seats, and other people went as far as telling them that they are not allowed to Save seats.
I felt a little bad for them, BUT, are not all children entitled to the seats of their choosing if they are there first? (Adults too for that matter)
I'm sure they and their families enjoyed the show non the less.

jrabbit
03-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I occurs to me that your natural order of things isn't necessarily everyone's natural order of things.It's not my "natural order" its the design of the dinning rooms: Entranace, buffet, tables, not Entrance, tables buffet (obviously I am talking about the buffet all the time places (not Parrot Cay at lunch). This is the way it is in the parks and on the ship (and yes I expect that there are a few exceptions that anyone could point out)

Tigger98
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I remember on our first DCL cruise (Apr 07 Wonder), my DH was walking round the ship filming/taking pictures (first day on ship) while I was watching DS (9) at the kids pool. We had got a table near the pool area and had our stuff (shoes/towels/lotion) there. I got up to check on DS and was gone for only a minute or two. When I got back to the table, someone else was there and our stuff was gone. I asked a CM and he had placed it above the trash area. I was kind of mad/upset as I had just got up to check on our son and was not saving a table. But I went on and found another one near by and didn't move. We still enjoyed the cruise.

mketting
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
What was so ridiculous about the whole incident was how annoyed the man was that we had had the nerve to sit there and he unequivocally expected us to get up and move. I guess that was the part that was so frustrating, much more so than the fact he was trying to save the table

sbell111
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
It's not my "natural order" its the design of the dinning rooms: Entranace, buffet, tables, not Entrance, tables buffet (obviously I am talking about the buffet all the time places (not Parrot Cay at lunch). This is the way it is in the parks and on the ship (and yes I expect that there are a few exceptions that anyone could point out)You know that Topsiders isn't set up like that, right? You need not go past the buffet to get a table.

jrabbit
03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
You know that Topsiders isn't set up like that, right? You need not go past the buffet to get a table.you suppose that the opening in the railing that seperates the buffet line from the seating area near the door might be for emergency access (in or out?). On our last cruise we only went to the starboard side buffet line for breakfast, so maybe DCL has reconfigured the port side - I remember a railing / 3/4 height partition on that side between the seating area and the buffet.

And I am not really trying to be argumentitive here, nor supporting or not supporting the OP's situation. I just commented on my observation that at topsiders and in the parks there are a LOT of people saving tables for people that are standing in line at the buffet or lunch counter while there are a lot of people that are trying to find someplace to sit down and eat because they have their food. And I think that the way the Imagineers layed out the restaurants assumed that groups would get in line for their meal, then go find a place to sit.

lbgraves
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
There is an entrance from the outside in the back that you can get to by walking outside on the deck to the seating area to get to the tables. There is also a staircase that leads from deck 8 up into the back corner of Topsiders that comes out into the tables.

lg3
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I too am curious as to whether the water bottle was full or not. That might make a small difference.

We often had difficulty finding a table at the buffet, and there were only 3 in our party. This happened frequently when at Topsiders. To compound the problem, at the time dd could barely hold her tray by herself and navigate around so many moving people. We too had to end up wandering around trying to find a table. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with many little ones.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
03-17-2009, 10:36 PM
It's not my "natural order" its the design of the dinning rooms: Entranace, buffet, tables, not Entrance, tables buffet (obviously I am talking about the buffet all the time places (not Parrot Cay at lunch). This is the way it is in the parks and on the ship (and yes I expect that there are a few exceptions that anyone could point out)
Huh?
I'm not sure what you mean by "few exceptions". The buffet at topsiders is not how you describe. The entrance to the tables is actually closer to the door than the entrance to actually be IN the buffet line- they are pretty even but if getting technical about it- the entrance to the tables is to the left or right (depending on which door you enter into topsiders) and THEN right there is the entrance to the buffet line. It is not buffet then tables/not entrance. :confused3

You know that Topsiders isn't set up like that, right? You need not go past the buffet to get a table.
Right- that's what I was saying. I think they are remembering things incorrectly or something?

There is an entrance from the outside in the back that you can get to by walking outside on the deck to the seating area to get to the tables. There is also a staircase that leads from deck 8 up into the back corner of Topsiders that comes out into the tables.
Yep, entrance in front right before you enter the buffet line, entrance from the outside in back, and entrance from the staircase. This is clearly NOT like walking into Luby's or any other buffet restaurant where you MUST go thru the buffet line before getting to tables. Not even alike at all.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
you suppose that the opening in the railing that seperates the buffet line from the seating area near the door might be for emergency access (in or out?). On our last cruise we only went to the starboard side buffet line for breakfast, so maybe DCL has reconfigured the port side - I remember a railing / 3/4 height partition on that side between the seating area and the buffet.

And I am not really trying to be argumentitive here, nor supporting or not supporting the OP's situation. I just commented on my observation that at topsiders and in the parks there are a LOT of people saving tables for people that are standing in line at the buffet or lunch counter while there are a lot of people that are trying to find someplace to sit down and eat because they have their food. And I think that the way the Imagineers layed out the restaurants assumed that groups would get in line for their meal, then go find a place to sit.

I only remember seeing a railing seperating some of the tables from the actual buffet line only but the rest before that railing starts is wide open- an entrance to the tables there to the right or left of the buffet before you get to the person handing out trays/silverware. It's not like a railing is "open" for emergency (emergency?) in/out- it's flat out open there and you can hang a right or left (depending on what door you go in to topsiders) to get to the tables OR pass that entrance and keep moving straight another few steps to go into the buffet line. The railing doesn't go across the entrance to close/open that I noticed- or atleast it was always open or removed or something as I don't remember seeing it. Granted I've only been on 2 cruises but the last one wasn't long ago and it was a long cruise- lots of visits to topsiders.

When I was looking for tables I did not notice a lot of people holding tables. Every table taken people were EATING- actually eating. Obviously you experienced something different on your cruise- but in no way is it obvious that they expected you to only enter the buffet before finding a seat. There is the entrance right there and other entrances to the restaurant as well. Also actually going thru the buffet is kind of a tight fit and they do realize that many will have their carryons on embarkation day before they get their rooms open, many will have bags, backpacks/etc. if they are eating and planning on excursions that day too, etc. There really isn't much room to lug that stuff thru the buffet line especially with the bar then tables right behind you (or a wall on the other side- in which CM's sometimes walk down that way to replenish foods. It's really a tight fit.
I think they clearly made it very easy to choose one of the many entrances to go in and choose a table first if you so desire. It is NOT corraled off- in any way from any entrance- that would sort of force you into the buffet. Not at all. I'm not sure what you're remembering? It was topsiders on the Magic?

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
03-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I think we need someone to whip out a photo- I know someone has it!!! :lmao: to show what it looks like when walking into topsiders from the various entrances! LOL

fakereadhed
03-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Q: Why do people keep saving tables?
A: Because it works, and they get a table.

If it didn't work, they would stop it and get their food before they find a table. Stop putting up with it!

I am very courteous, but if someone is going to be a jerk I will call them on it- politely. I would move the items and sit down. If they came back, I would explain that they weren't sitting there so we did. End of discussion.

If this happens each time they try to save a table it will become more convenient for them to get their food first. Problem is that some people are afraid of what they consider to be confrontation. It doesn't have to be, and if they escalate the situation(they usually don't) just keep your cool and they will end up looking worse- not you.

lg3
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Q: Why do people keep saving tables?
A: Because it works, and they get a table.

If it didn't work, they would stop it and get their food before they find a table. Stop putting up with it!

I am very courteous, but if someone is going to be a jerk I will call them on it- politely. I would move the items and sit down. If they came back, I would explain that they weren't sitting there so we did. End of discussion.

If this happens each time they try to save a table it will become more convenient for them to get their food first. Problem is that some people are afraid of what they consider to be confrontation. It doesn't have to be, and if they escalate the situation(they usually don't) just keep your cool and they will end up looking worse- not you.

I'm assuming you are talking about saving tables with personal belongings of some sort, not actually someone sitting at the table waiting for others to come back so they can go through the buffet line?

On a different note: Sometimes the lines entering the main entrance to the buffet could get a bit long - there can be some mean looks if a group thought you weren't at the very end (adding another good 10+ min. to getting food while the rest of your group already were ready to start eating). Not saying this is right or wrong to do, just an observation.

fakereadhed
03-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about saving tables with personal belongings of some sort, not actually someone sitting at the table waiting for others to come back so they can go through the buffet line?

Yes, I'm not going to shove somebody's family member off a chair and sit down. I'm not that mean! ;)

Leaving personal belongings to save a spot happens everywhere- at the park, at the kids playland, at the pool. It just really annoys me.

Last time we went to Day Out With Thomas someone set a cooler on one of 3 picnic tables available in the lunch area. Several people circled it, and moved on. We moved it to the very edge of the table and sat down and started to eat. 20 minutes later a family of 4 shows up(the table sat about 10) and said "Who moved our cooler?" We smiled and said, "we did, about 20 minutes ago and we're nearly finished. You are welcome to join us!" The older lady in the group(Grandma?) offered our son a cookie and looked embarrassed. I'm all for killing them with kindness. Sure they were talking about us after we left, but we were gone so who cares.

jrabbit
03-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I have taken the "secret" stairs up into topsiders, and have walked on the deck around to the back of the ship to get a desert to go with my lunch, so yes you can come in those "entrances" but where does DCL station the "Wipes" people? - not at the back door, not at the stairways at the back of topsiders!

disneynewbee
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
When we go to buffet or get food in a park we always find a table first and I sit down with the little ones and dh and the older kids get in line and get their food along with the little kids. I then go get in line to get mine. We don't do this to be rude or disturb the natural order of things. It is not physically possible for us to go through a food line pushing a stroller with a baby and keeping track of and making plates for a 3 and 6yo. Just not possible. We need two hands to make and carry the trays. Normally I will feed the baby her baby food while dh is in line so we don't actually hold the table up any longer than we normally would since if I got my food with him I would have to eat and still stay there and feed the baby. Even without a stroller I don't see how anyone with smaller kids can manage this. I have never however left something on a table to save it, someone is always there and if I did have to run to the restroom or something there would be more there than just a water bottle and navigator so people know someone is sitting there. I don't understand why the guy would be so aggitated obviously he has to be able to understand that it may have looked like someone just didn't throw their trash away. That unfortunately happens a lot but I'm not the type to have enough guts to actually sit there instead I continue to wonder around for another table when in most cases the stuff is really abandoned. As far as saving chairs at the pool I do think that if a person is actually in the pool that they should be able to save their chair for when they get out. I would always put a personal item on it so people know that I didn't just abandon the chair. And I think that out of courtesy you should only save one chair per family.

atinkerbellmom
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I have seen people leave a bag at the table and save the table. We came to the area and sat at a table across from a table like this. (My family does always grab food and then sits down since the buffet is set up to flow of such. I "HATE" when people come through the line walking along the asile and pass me to go get a table. My behind is too big and I feel that is the space for my behind when in line and them brushing pass me is not appropiate). Anyway, I have sat down across from a "held table" my family has eatten and only minutes from us leaving sit at the "saved table" and start to eat their food. So, this is a table that could have been used by two families in the time period. The only exception I have are the people with little kids or special needs kids who need to sit another adult down at the table and all wait for the other adult(s)/ teens to go and get food. I actually like this because I have seen some of the little kids in the buffet lines and the coughs and sneezes they let out are at "food level".

Now Lisa, what happened to you was totally wrong. But as a person who tends to "sit" in a chair at the pool and not get in the water, I too have moved things after 20 minutes of standing to sit my behind in the chair. Now when moving the belongings, I do tend to stack it in the chair next to the chair next to me. Usually all the adjourning chairs belong to the same family. Actually if I had moved something and then needed to leave before the people came back, I would actually move it back to my chair before leaving. If the people came back while I was sitting there, I would ask them if they NEEDED to sit. Most times they will say "no" wipe a face and walk away again to swim. This way no harm is done... I do think the answer to this problem as I have stated before are "cubbies" at the pool.... Come on DCL catch a hint and be sure The Dream has cubbies.:thumbsup2

BTW, Remember that CM clear the tables, so things are left all the time & as the OP's point was "for goodness sake, a water bottle and navigator" I too would have thought it was garbage. A person at a table is just not the same. They should not even be compared as the same.

shancan911
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
All right, you guys are makin me nervous. I have sailed 3 RCCL ships, and a Princess. I never recall a problem on the RCCL ships at the buffet area with exception of our last on Liberty of the Seas at embarkation. Our last cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess, and every morning I struggled to find a place to eat. Twice, the only table I could find was a 6 top. I begrudgingly took a seat, but kept my eyes peeled for families looking to share. Magic is a smaller ship, with I'm assuming less passengers. But these posts are making it sound like I'm going to run into crowds each day. As a rule, it's just me for breakfast, everyone else likes to sleep in, so I always get my food, and then my table. Please advise!

lbgraves
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
We have never had a problem finding a table for breakfast or lunch at TS on five cruises. :) Don't worry about it.

sbell111
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM

I am very courteous, but if someone is going to be a jerk I will call them on it- politely. I would move the items and sit down. If they came back, I would explain that they weren't sitting there so we did. End of discussion. ...It wouldn't hardly be the end of the discussion. ... Leaving personal belongings to save a spot happens everywhere- at the park, at the kids playland, at the pool. It just really annoys me.

Last time we went to Day Out With Thomas someone set a cooler on one of 3 picnic tables available in the lunch area. Several people circled it, and moved on. We moved it to the very edge of the table and sat down and started to eat. 20 minutes later a family of 4 shows up(the table sat about 10) and said "Who moved our cooler?" We smiled and said, "we did, about 20 minutes ago and we're nearly finished. You are welcome to join us!" The older lady in the group(Grandma?) offered our son a cookie and looked embarrassed. I'm all for killing them with kindness. Sure they were talking about us after we left, but we were gone so who cares.Opinions are a funny thing. I don't consider setting personal items down on a table and expecting them to still be there when I return a few minutes later with a tray of food to be rude, at all. However, I do think that it would be rude for someone to move my belongings and then be snarky when I return to the table with my food.

Also, I believe that when people are left with taking the position that they don't care that they have upset others as long as they got their way, as in your example, they are aware that they did something that was less than appropriate.... As far as saving chairs at the pool I do think that if a person is actually in the pool that they should be able to save their chair for when they get out. I would always put a personal item on it so people know that I didn't just abandon the chair. And I think that out of courtesy you should only save one chair per family.I would argue that there really is no difference. If it is OK to save a lounger with personal items while you are gone for a few minutes, it should be OK to save a table while you are gone for a few minutes to get food.

Also, I don't understand the position that it is OK to save the table if you leave someone at it, but not if you leave belongings at it. The tables will acually 'turn' faster if it was saved with stuff, since all members of the party would get their food at the same time.

dbk1029
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM

That gold KTTW card may have ended up floating in the ocean if that was my chair. IMO some people bank on other people being nice to get away with their rude behavior.

sbell111
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
All right, you guys are makin me nervous. I have sailed 3 RCCL ships, and a Princess. I never recall a problem on the RCCL ships at the buffet area with exception of our last on Liberty of the Seas at embarkation. Our last cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess, and every morning I struggled to find a place to eat. Twice, the only table I could find was a 6 top. I begrudgingly took a seat, but kept my eyes peeled for families looking to share. Magic is a smaller ship, with I'm assuming less passengers. But these posts are making it sound like I'm going to run into crowds each day. As a rule, it's just me for breakfast, everyone else likes to sleep in, so I always get my food, and then my table. Please advise!Don't worry about it. I can only think of one time that we had any trouble at all getting a table at Topsiders. We land sharked for two or three minutes before one came open. No big woop.

One thing that you will find is that some people like to rail about perceived rudenesses when it turns out that the issue is fairly benign. People are generally more comfortable complaining about things.

sbell111
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
That gold KTTW card may have ended up floating in the ocean if that was my chair. IMO some people bank on other people being nice to get away with their rude behavior.That was exactly my point in post #55, just above yours.

disneynewbee
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
It wouldn't hardly be the end of the discussion. Opinions are a funny thing. I don't consider setting personal items down on a table and expecting them to still be there when I return a few minutes later with a tray of food to be rude, at all. However, I do think that it would be rude for someone to move my belongings and then be snarky when I return to the table with my food.

Also, I believe that when people are left with taking the position that they don't care that they have upset others as long as they got their way, as in your example, they are aware that they did something that was less than appropriate.I would argue that there really is no difference. If it is OK to save a lounger with personal items while you are gone for a few minutes, it should be OK to save a table while you are gone for a few minutes to get food.

Also, I don't understand the position that it is OK to save the table if you leave someone at it, but not if you leave belongings at it. The tables will acually 'turn' faster if it was saved with stuff, since all members of the party would get their food at the same time.

I didn't say I thought it was wrong to leave something at the table to save it just that I have never done it personally and that if I did I would leave more than a small water bottle and navigator that could be considered trash. This was a quote from what I said "I have never however left something on a table to save it, someone is always there and if I did have to run to the restroom or something there would be more there than just a water bottle and navigator so people know someone is sitting there." It does annoy me when people are done with a table and don't clean it off all the way preventing others from using it because they think someone is still sitting there.

sbell111
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I didn't say I thought it was wrong to leave something at the table to save it just that I have never done it personally and that if I did I would leave more than a small water bottle and navigator that could be considered trash. This was a quote from what I said "I have never however left something on a table to save it, someone is always there and if I did have to run to the restroom or something there would be more there than just a water bottle and navigator so people know someone is sitting there." It does annoy me when people are done with a table and don't clean it off all the way preventing others from using it because they think someone is still sitting there.Yeah, that last paragraph wasn't really about you. I wanted to make the point, but didn't feel like quoting yet another post.

JimHB
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Interesting variety of opinions here. I'm due to cruise for the 1st time later in April, and hoping I don't run into any of these situations. I did see that the copies of Navigators posted said there is no saving of seats in the theater, or lounge chairs on decks 9 & 10 (if I remember that right), but I didn't see anything explicitly about dining tables - did I miss something?

I don't think I would be hesitant about moving a bottle of water on a table and taking occupation myself, so I certainly can't fault the original poster. Much beyond that, though, and I could see that a family might be trying to free their hands and placed their stuff at an empty table before going back for food - and I really can't see a whole lot of fault in that.

Reminds me a bit of what we do here at work at lunch-n-learns that are conducted in a big conference room. Sometimes when food isn't there or done being set up yet, the early folks will tend to sit at the big conference table, while the later arrivals will have to make due with the chairs up along the wall. Needless to say, I try to get a table seat as I'm not too good at juggling a plate and drink in my lap. Then when the food has arrived or is set up, most folks will leave their pen/badge/pad/whatever in front of their chair and go get in line for the food, then come back and pretty much its expected that nobody has taken over your chair. Similar to this thread topic, but of course we're all adults, know the drill, and aren't really out of sight of our seat, but just goes to show that different rules can apply depending on the situation.

Anyway, here's hoping my wife and I will always find that nice little unoccupied romantic table for 2 right after we get our food trays :lovestruc .

Jim B

Dreamsoftravel
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
All right, you guys are makin me nervous. I have sailed 3 RCCL ships, and a Princess. I never recall a problem on the RCCL ships at the buffet area with exception of our last on Liberty of the Seas at embarkation. Our last cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess, and every morning I struggled to find a place to eat. Twice, the only table I could find was a 6 top. I begrudgingly took a seat, but kept my eyes peeled for families looking to share. Magic is a smaller ship, with I'm assuming less passengers. But these posts are making it sound like I'm going to run into crowds each day. As a rule, it's just me for breakfast, everyone else likes to sleep in, so I always get my food, and then my table. Please advise!

I would not worry about it. We went during Christmas which was a full ship. The only time we had a problem was the first day for lunch. We had to go all the way down to the goofy pool before we found a table. We had breakfast every morning at Topsiders and it was a group of nine of us - no problem finding tables. We may not have always had tables next to each other, but tables were always found.

lg3
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, we must dine at the worst times I suppose. We enjoyed eating breakfast at whatever restaurant was open and never had a problem getting a table (sometimes sharing, but that was finetoo - always great to meet new friends :goodvibes ). Lunch at Topsiders however was a frequent problem - very few tables available and we would have to circle around quite a bit and sometimes took our trays ourside of the area just to sit down. :confused3

DaParkers
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
How am I to know if its not a dirty towel some slob just left there.

Great point. :thumbsup2 How do you tell the difference?

sbell111
03-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Great point. :thumbsup2 How do you tell the difference?Sometimes, you won't know. Then, the issue becomes how you will handle it when the person returns to their seat and you are in it. In my opinion, a classy person will explain the mistake and vacate the seat.

This actually reminds me of a lunchtime visit that I made to a pizza buffet a while back. I got my food and found my table, but I couldn't find any cheese shakers. I finally spotted one on a table that was full of dirty dishes. Thinking that the people had left, I took the cheese shaker. A few minutes later, they returned with yet another plate o' pizza. I went over, explained my error, and gave them their cheese shaker back.

BethA
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
I guess I don't see the big deal about saving a table in that manner- obviously I am in the minority. How is that different than any other item? If there was somthing on the table I would have taken another table. What if they had other plates there and the server cleared them while they were in line again-this is a possibility, so I would not have taken a chance. Saving a table is saving-whether one of you sits there, or whether someone's personal item is there.

Last cruise I had been sitting in a lounge chair most of the day. I left my towel and book there while I went to get a drink-I came back and some family had taken over my chair-the father was sitting on my book. when I pointed out it was my chair, he gave me the book back because now his whole family was there. Just because I did not have anyone else with me did not change the fact that i had been using the chair. Not to be rude, but because you had a child with you does not make a difference in my opinion. My mother is handicapped and if someone has the row in front of where the wheelchairs go in the theater I do not feel entitled to those spaces. I guess everyone has a different perception and I may get flamed for disagreeing with the majority here.

We have often wandered around looking for a table. They do not have enough seating there when it is a busy cruise.

kcashner
03-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I agree that there are times when there is not enough seating in Topsiders and around the pool area. It's actually more of a problem around the kid pools because the servers promptly clean the tables at Topsiders.

Thoughts--if you're not using the pool (or watching kids), deck 10 is usually deserted. If you're lucky enough to have a balcony, that's another lovely place to take your tray....

lds0191
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I am amazed there has been so much response over somone saving a table with a water bottle and a navigator. I don't see the problem. Some people need to chill a little. Paxil works wonders for me!!!

Linda

disneyfreak1
03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I agree that there are times when there is not enough seating in Topsiders and around the pool area. It's actually more of a problem around the kid pools because the servers promptly clean the tables at Topsiders.

Thoughts--if you're not using the pool (or watching kids), deck 10 is usually deserted. If you're lucky enough to have a balcony, that's another lovely place to take your tray....

Deck 10 is my favorite place to be! :banana:

DisneyMomforLife
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree that I think the polite way *which is exactly what we do* is have someone from the family stay and wait for the others to come back. We are a family of 4 and usually my husband and my son go while my daughter and I wait or just the opposite.

I totally plan on doing just that if need be!!

Kat

wdwwishes
03-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Rude! Someone should stay at the table and someone should go to the buffet and then switch.

fakereadhed
03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
It wouldn't hardly be the end of the discussion. Opinions are a funny thing. I don't consider setting personal items down on a table and expecting them to still be there when I return a few minutes later with a tray of food to be rude, at all. However, I do think that it would be rude for someone to move my belongings and then be snarky when I return to the table with my food.

Just FYI from Websters:
snarky
1 : crotchety , snappish 2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

Please re-read my post for clarification.

sbell111
03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Just FYI from Websters:
snarky
1 : crotchety , snappish 2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

Please re-read my post for clarification.I reread your post and still feel that my reply was appropriate, including this bit that you snipped:
Also, I believe that when people are left with taking the position that they don't care that they have upset others as long as they got their way, as in your example, they are aware that they did something that was less than appropriate.

ruadisneyfan2
03-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't even mind people leaving personal belongings on a table to save it. I do think it should be something that obviously belongs to someone and not something that could be mistaken for trash left behind.
To me, a half finished water and Navigator doesn't make it clear whether the owner is coming or going. Now a bag or jacket, that's obvious that someone would return for it and is using it to save the table.
I would respect that but still dh and I take turns going to the buffet, each of us taking 1 child. No big deal.

SLK1
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
These posts are making me laugh. Good for the guy with the water bottle...he had the foresight to save his seat and then go get his food so he wasn't wandering aimlessly with his tray full of food. I would learn from him, and do the same next time. Same for the people in the theater - if I want the prime spot, I better get my butt down there early so I can have a good spot. I think a lot of these angry posts stem from people who just didn't think far enough ahead and they got burned, and they're jealous someone beat them to the punch!

And trust me, if I save my lounge chair with a book or towel or bag, and am gone to check on my kids or to get a drink, and I find some new person shows up and just moves my stuff...well, someone's going overboard.

We are also a family who leaves an adult with the two little kids while the other adult and older kids go get food, then we switch. You mind your business and I'll mind mine, and we will all be happy! :dance3:

looking2cruise
03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
This whole discussion is a little disheartening to me. I guess I just had this preconceived notion that this cruise is going to be fantastic. Sounds like it is SO crowded that you can't even get a table or a lounge chair? Gee, sounds like this cruise is going to be about as fun as Disneyland on a busy day...Boo!!

mindy327
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
This whole discussion is a little disheartening to me. I guess I just had this preconceived notion that this cruise is going to be fantastic. Sounds like it is SO crowded that you can't even get a table or a lounge chair? Gee, sounds like this cruise is going to be about as fun as Disneyland on a busy day...Boo!!

Sometimes, people go off on tangents that really dont need to be brought up. The dinner tables, on the other hand, are not THAT bad. If I see something on a table, ask a CM! Be polite, its a water bottle.

mkdreams
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Moving someone's personal belongings is stupid you could get punched in the mouth for doing something like that. I once read on cruise critic were someone did just that on another cruise line and a big fist fight broke out. Who wants that on a cruise, talk about ruining your vacation just because you are mad about a stupid chair. I go on a cruise to have fun, it seems some people have this attitude that they are going to start something because they think they are in the right. You may be right but it does not give you the right to touch other peoples things. Most times it will do nothing but ruin your cruise. That's sad. :sad1:

mkdreams
03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Sometimes, people go off on tangents that really dont need to be brought up. The dinner tables, on the other hand, are not THAT bad. If I see something on a table, ask a CM! Be polite, its a water bottle.

Very well said.

dbk1029
03-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Moving someone's personal belongings is stupid you could get punched in the mouth for doing something like that. I once read on cruise critic were someone did just that on another cruise line and a big fist fight broke out. Who wants that on a cruise, talk about ruining your vacation just because you are mad about a stupid chair. I go on a cruise to have fun, it seems some people have this attitude that they are going to start something because they think they are in the right. You may be right but it does not give you the right to touch other peoples things. Most times it will do nothing but ruin your cruise. That's sad. :sad1:

So who was in the wrong the person who moved someone's belongings or the person who starts a fist fight because someone moved their belongings?

Personally IMO it's rude to "reserve" a chair/table/etc with a personal item and not come back within a certain time frame. It is also rude to remove someone belongings if they are obviously personal in nature.

A navigator and a 1/2 full water bottle? IMO I'd move that after a few minutes with no one showing up. Someone's shirt, towel, and perhaps a book left poolside? Definately a no move scenario IMO.

mkdreams
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
So who was in the wrong the person who moved someone's belongings or the person who starts a fist fight because someone moved their belongings?

Personally IMO it's rude to "reserve" a chair/table/etc with a personal item and not come back within a certain time frame. It is also rude to remove someone belongings if they are obviously personal in nature.

A navigator and a 1/2 full water bottle? IMO I'd move that after a few minutes with no one showing up. Someone's shirt, towel, and perhaps a book left poolside? Definately a no move scenario IMO.

If you ask me they were both stupid for acting like children. touching someones things is wrong, putting your hands on someone is wrong. I'm just letting you know what could happen and what has happen in the past. We live in a scary world today, better be careful.

mkdreams
03-27-2009, 03:46 PM

That I can understand.

KrisannB
03-27-2009, 08:23 PM

I think it may depend on when you are going - we have not had any problems finding a table when on occasion we do eat at topsiders - we have found that eating a nice lunch in the restaurant that is open for lunch is much more relaxing for us and we normally do not have to wait for a table.

On another topic - Lisa mentioned a "gold" key card - guess I am a lowly person and have no idea about the gold reference - is that for the suites?

For the next cruise we are taking I am bringing along a waterproof bag to use at the pool to put our stuff in while in the pool because I normally put it along the wall/seats around the adult pool but they get wet. I wish they did have cubbies or even hooks to hang a bag on because I don't really want to take up a chair when I am swimming but what do I do with my stuff sometimes???? Guess I will mention that on the comment card on the next cruise.

Krisann

lbgraves
03-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes, cats 1 - 3 get the gold colored KTTW card.

miztigg
03-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Im glad I dont get up early enough for breakfast :lmao: and if I do I got to tritions or DH brings me a tray :worship: . As far as the pool chair goes i dont if its just a towel and its been there a LONG time I might move it . If its personal stuff they are more than likley swimmin with thier family im NOT gonna touch it. Im never really to worried about pool chairs or tables with water im on the disney boat :goodvibes. And yeah i usually have a drink of the day in my hand it helps alot:lmao:

slk
03-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Well I'm going with the myself and 1 of my kids will go sit and wait at a
table group on this one. On our cruise we had a group of 14 people, so
we wanted the adults to sit together and the kids to sit together so a few
of the adults and a few of the kids waited at the tables till some of the
others came back. To hard to go through the line and wander around with
trays that have drinks, etc on them and not find a table large enough
or find seats together. There were quite a few groups of people on
our cruise and they did the same thing, a few waiting at the table. I didn't
see anyone saving a table with a water bottle though.:rolleyes:

SLK1
03-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Don't give it a second thought. You're going to have a GREAT time. Just beware of the people who are the "cruise police", looking to enforce their rules at every turn (I'm of course referring to passengers, not crew!). Remember too that there are only so many people who can be on the ship and for the most part, you will find they designed it correctly and the flow of people moves along just fine with regards to meals, activities, etc. Have fun!

S-A3Lvr
03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I have been reading the message boards off and on for some time now (LOVE all the information that is shared- thanks!!) but this is my first post. I have been following the discussion regarding this topic and want to offer my two-cents....

IMO this a matter of perspective - the person that goes through line and looks for a table thinks that they have arrived at THE point "first" and are entitled to seating, but the person that goes directly to the tables and finds a seat before proceeding to the buffet line believes that they are the ones to have arrived at THE point "first"; neither feeling they are being rude, and both (potentially) feeling in the right.

I am a person who travels with DH, and 3 DS, as well as brother, his wife, and their four children, and for our upcoming third cruise (in 24 days - woo hoo) we are also traveling with my mother - it would not be likely that we, a party of 12 people, would go through line and find adequate seating in order that would allow us to enjoy each other's company, so we would find tables and then proceed to the buffet. If we went into Topsiders and found that there were no tables that accomodated our group, we mostly likely would leave and return when we could find seats together, something that would be impossible if we had gone through the buffet line before looking for a place to sit.

It wouldn't have occurred to me until after I read these boards that I was being rude or inconsiderate of any one else.

:)

lg3
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm not the OP, but see no reason why they couldn't bring up this topic, which is not really a tangent on a cruise line board. :confused3

There wouldn't usually be such an issue of space at dinner at Topsiders since more diners are eating at their assigned restaurant below. I can't image trying to track down a CM when you already literaly have your hands full of trays and keeping little ones together while navigating your way to a table.