PDA

View Full Version : Best place to book through?

nettii
03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Dis Cruisers:) I was thinking of giving my kids a cruise for a Christmas present. What (where) is the best place to book? We were thinking Presidents Day weekend how far in advance can I book? Any other info to help me book would be greatly appreciated, Ive never booked a cruise. Thnks Nettii:goodvibes

CJLKIM
03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
The first cruise I went on I booked through a TA. The most frustrating part for me was that if I had questions or wanted to make a payment then I had to go back through the TA to do it. I will freely admit I have control issues and suffer from OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Planning Disorder) so it's hard for me to just turn it all over to someone....and then I feel bad if I want to change something because it's more work for them.

After that first year, I learned to book online myself (the DCL site is easy) then I can make payments directly to DCL or make changes without having to make the TA do it. Once we get close to the pay-in-full date then I usually go ahead and transfer it to our TA so that we can obtain their stateroom credit to help offset expenses and then make the final payment through them.

To book yourself...don't include airfare on your ressie...do it yourself later. Insurance? I always wait until after I figure out and book the rest of our trip so that I can insure everything and go through the TA's recommended insurance provider.

When to book? We are already booked for Dec 2010. I've heard it said that booking early gets you the best price...I personally like it because it gives me more time to budget payments and I get to pick the stateroom I want. I've also heard that there are usually some last minute deals...but then you have to "take what you get"....again....my OCPD doesn't go for that...

Hope this helps you out. Best of luck on your planning! You guys will have a blast on DCL!

ruadisneyfan2
03-15-2009, 09:34 AM
After that first year, I learned to book online myself (the DCL site is easy) then I can make payments directly to DCL or make changes without having to make the TA do it. Once we get close to the pay-in-full date then I usually go ahead and transfer it to our TA so that we can obtain their stateroom credit to help offset expenses and then make the final payment through them.

I used to do this too but heard here on the Dis that DCL has reduced commissions to TAs for transferrred ressies vs. those booked by the TA. Not really fair for the TA but that's the reality of it. My TA confirmed this too after I had already booked 2 cruises online with the intentions of transferring to her just before final payment due date.
So while I was on the ship in Nov. I rebooked the same ressies onboard which is like cancelling the old and making new conf. #s (kept same staterooms though) and I could assign my TA to our new ressies w/o them officially being transferred. They had all my TA's info in their system since she handled the cruise we were on.

This gave me max rebooking OBCs and max TA OBCs. $400 total for each 7 nt. Western! :woohoo: It's such a fun game! :goodvibes

CJLKIM
03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I used to do this too but heard here on the Dis that DCL has reduced commissions to TAs for transferrred ressies vs. those booked by the TA. Not really fair for the TA but that's the reality of it. My TA confirmed this too after I had already booked 2 cruises online with the intentions of transferring to her just before final payment due date.
So while I was on the ship in Nov. I rebooked the same ressies onboard which is like cancelling the old and making new conf. #s (kept same staterooms though) and I could assign my TA to our new ressies w/o them officially being transferred. They had all my TA's info in their system since she handled the cruise we were on.

This gave me max rebooking OBCs and max TA OBCs. $400 total for each 7 nt. Western! :woohoo: It's such a fun game! :goodvibes

We did the same thing when we rebooked onboard...love the OBC game....:cool1:

mindy327
03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
We did the same thing when we rebooked onboard...love the OBC game....:cool1:

I am confused!!! You did what to get a $400 sbc?:confused3

nettii
03-15-2009, 09:46 AM
:goodvibes WOW that is so much more than I expected! What can the TA get you?-an up grade?:confused3 Im so thank full for all of you giving me the inside scoop!:love:
thnks Nettii

ruadisneyfan2
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I am confused!!! You did what to get a $400 sbc?:confused3

When you rebook a 7 nt onboard the ship, DCL gives you a $200 OBC. Our TA also gives $200 so that's $400 total.
If I transferred to my TA it would have only been $100.

platamama
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
ruadisneyfan2: Our TA also gives $200[QUOTE]

Do you mind sharing what category you're booking? That seems like a mighty nice OBC and better than what I got!

fakereadhed
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Dis Cruisers:) I was thinking of giving my kids a cruise for a Christmas present. What (where) is the best place to book? We were thinking Presidents Day weekend how far in advance can I book? Any other info to help me book would be greatly appreciated, Ive never booked a cruise. Thnks Nettii:goodvibes

This site is sponsored by Dreams Unlimited(see the banner at the top of the page). Give them some love! I highly recommend them.

NancyIL
03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I used to do this too but heard here on the Dis that DCL has reduced commissions to TAs for transferrred ressies vs. those booked by the TA. Not really fair for the TA but that's the reality of it.

I don't see how it is unfair to the travel agent. The travel agent is getting some commission that he or she otherwise would not have gotten, and with very little work involved.

fakereadhed
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't see how it is unfair to the travel agent. The travel agent is getting some commission that he or she otherwise would not have gotten, and with very little work involved.

:eek: :rolleyes1

My TAs at Dreams have always surprised me with all of the attention they've given and it doesn't look so easy to me. Especially since I am not their only client.

NancyIL
03-16-2009, 10:00 AM

My TAs at Dreams have always surprised me with all of the attention they've given and it doesn't look so easy to me. Especially since I am not their only client.
Less work is involved for the agent for a transferred reservation than for an initial booking made through a travel agent. I booked my DCL cruise with Dreams, and after my deposit was paid, I didn't hear from them unless I e-mailed them a question. I did have questions because I was cruising with my elderly mom, and the agent I e-mailed was great. But a cruise reservation just doesn't get the attention that a WDW resort package does.

kcashner
03-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Once a reservation is made, the amount of "service" needed is a very individual thing. Some people may call frequently with lots of questions. Others may never call or require anything. One person may have some huge snafu and take hours of TA time; most probably take minutes.

In any event, it's not as much time or effort to deal with a transferred ressie as it is a new booking. I heard a rumor that one agency was actively marketing to get people to transfer ressies to them--offering the additional onboard credit, etc. to the extent that the made DCL unhappy. The DCL people were doing the work on the phone and then DCL was paying the commission to the agent. Thus DCL "solved" the problem by cutting the commission they pay for transferred ressies. In response to this, some agencies have reduced or eliminated the OBCs they can offer for transferred ressies.

This reduction does not occur with a ressie made on board IF the TA is named at that time. Thus, it is important to know the name/phone number of your agent or agency when you plan to rebook. If you don't have an agent, do your homework before sailing--do you want one? If so, who do you want? Remember, there's a lot more to an agent than an onboard credit!

Yonkrs_Girl
03-16-2009, 12:04 PM

I LOVE my Dreams Unlimted Agent! She takes great care of us:thumbsup2 for not only our Cruises but all of our Disney, trips, too! She's awesome!

ruadisneyfan2
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
ruadisneyfan2: Our TA also gives $200

Do you mind sharing what category you're booking? That seems like a mighty nice OBC and better than what I got!

Cat. 9
2 ad, 2 ch