PDA

View Full Version : Studio or 1 BR?

DisneyStarWisher
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
What would you do if adding on is not an option???

Stay in a 1 BR every other year for 6 nights?

OR

Stay in a studio every year for 6 nights?

mecllap
02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm buying a resale contract that gives me pretty much exactly this question -- I plan to go with 1BR every other year, because we're a 3 person 3 generation family that likes the extra room and comfort, and going every other year works out well for us. (We will likely add another week off-site with a TS exchange -- because 5-6 days in WDW is not enough for me). It is however tempting to "tough it out" in a studio and go every year, tho! (If it was just me, or me and someone who could sleep on the sofa-bed [or in my bed] and not be bothered by my snoring, I'd go every year :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )

So -- depends on your situation and wishes, eh?

What would you do if adding on is not an option???

Stay in a 1 BR every other year for 6 nights?

OR

Stay in a studio every year for 6 nights?

Disney Princess
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Who are you traveling with? Do you NEED the washer/dryer or full kitchen?

My answer is influenced by who I get to go with - it is just me and DH (for now :goodvibes ). We don't cook, and wouldn't really need the laundry. Even if we HAD to wash something, we'd use the free washers and dryers available. We would stay in the studio and go every year, but if you have more people or different needs, the 1BR may win out.

Good luck with the decision! :thumbsup2

Sandisw
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
My vote would be for the studio and go every year until you realize that you are unhappy being in a studio and then plan change.

For me, I realize that I like to go every year and bought the points I did to allow for that. But, if something happens and I can't go one year, I will bank those points and just do a bigger trip the next time.

We are used to staying in the deluxe resort rooms and while I know that the studios are a little different, we are used to not having the kitchen or washer/dryers so I think we will be fine!

WALTSAGOD
02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Studio every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DisneyStarWisher
02-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Maybe I should have done a poll. I'm just curious to see what people would choose. But if you want to help me with my ponderings---

I have a DH and two DS (13 and 11). Last year, we stayed 4 nights in a studio at SSR and 2 nights in a 1 BR. We travel a lot and usually stay in hotel rooms, so the studio was not a problem. We don't stay in the room a lot anyway. When I got into the 1 BR though, I must admit I did like it. I liked it for the extra room solely. I didn't use the kitchen or the whirlpool tub. I did end up using the washer/dryer a couple of times because it rained a lot while we were there, so when we came into the room soaking wet, I would throw the clothes in. I probably wouldn't have used them if it weren't for that. (I'm NOT doing laundry or cooking on vacation!) We decided though to stay in a 1 BR every other year. Now I'm missing WDW and wondering if we should do the studio EVERY year.

If you want to offer advice, you can, OR you can just tell me what you would do in your situation. Like I said, I'm just curious.

bobbiwoz
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
I would stick with the studio and go every year, because I just don't think I could go a year without going to WDW. Once a studio isn't comfortable for you, then you do the every other year. And I would try to do AKV or BLT one bedrooms because of the 2 bath, sleeps 5 with the sleeper chair option.

We have 2 DS, 3 years apart and even at your son's ages they didn't like sleeping together, one would opt to sleep in a chair or on the floor. Oh how I wish DVC was around then, that was in the '80s!

Bobbi:goodvibes

fluffykim
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
i agree with the OP, we bought enough points to go every year, sometimes more than 1x a year AND stay in a 1bed every time

after staying in a 1bed, I could never go back to the studio...give up the jacuzzi tub, the extra room, we never cook, but like the space, oh..and the jacuzzi tub

Buckeye Fan
02-28-2009, 07:01 PM
If it meant that I didn't go anywhere on the off years, I'd definitely choose a studio every year. If I traveled somewhere else during the off years, I may choose the 1-BR every other year because of where we are in our lives (DH, me, DS - 13, and DD - 6).

I have to admit, I wish we had never stayed in a 1-BR. We were perfectly fine in studios until we discovered the 1-BRs!!! :laughing:

DisneyStarWisher
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
If it meant that I didn't go anywhere on the off years, I'd definitely choose a studio every year. If I traveled somewhere else during the off years, I may choose the 1-BR every other year because of where we are in our lives (DH, me, DS - 13, and DD - 6).

I have to admit, I wish we had never stayed in a 1-BR. We were perfectly fine in studios until we discovered the 1-BRs!!! :laughing:

I DO travel to other places in the off years. In fact, we have 3 trips planned this year, plus we have a camper so we do lots of little weekend trips to a state park. We are trying to get our kids to all 50 states. After we travel through New England this fall, they will have 30! It's not that there is nowhere to go. I just miss Disney!!! It just makes me wonder, should I squeeze in another trip and stay in a studio each year?

Golden Rose
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I would stay in the studio and go every year while the kids are still young enough to really enjoy it. If they get to the point where they aren't enjoying it quite as much, I would shift to the one bedroom and go every other year.

allshookup
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Studio every year for sure! We normally go a couple of times a year, but with school, economy, etc. we are going to start going once a year & we may even skip 2010 to go on a cruise & the thought is already making me anxious. I'm going to be very home sick! :guilty:

Buckeye Fan
02-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I DO travel to other places in the off years. In fact, we have 3 trips planned this year, plus we have a camper so we do lots of little weekend trips to a state park. We are trying to get our kids to all 50 states. After we travel through New England this fall, they will have 30! It's not that there is nowhere to go. I just miss Disney!!! It just makes me wonder, should I squeeze in another trip and stay in a studio each year?
Have you seen the 1-BRs? If not, I'd suggest you book a studio, and ask to see the 1-BRs while you're there. You may take one look and think, "nothing special." Or, you may decide an in-room washer, dryer and kitchen are important to you.

I'm with you on the missing Disney part. It would be hard for me to skip every other year! :scared:

DisneyStarWisher
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Have you seen the 1-BRs? If not, I'd suggest you book a studio, and ask to see the 1-BRs while you're there. You may take one look and think, "nothing special." Or, you may decide an in-room washer, dryer and kitchen are important to you.

I'm with you on the missing Disney part. It would be hard for me to skip every other year! :scared:

Yes, I stayed in a 1 BR for 2 nights at SSR. I loved it for the extra space, but we were in it very little. It was just nice at night when we would come in from the parks, but I'm not so sure that's worth it. I would love to hear from others who stay with teenagers in a studio just so they can go more often.

Dean
03-01-2009, 06:33 AM
For that group I'd only stay in a studio at OKW or Inn room at VB due to the two queen beds and no pullout. The reason being the two teen males over the next few years since most of the studios have pullouts and most are full size pullout and not a queen where all the 1 BR have a queen pullout. As they get older, like in the next 2-3 years, they'll likely end up with events they cannot miss and will not be able to make every trip even during school breaks. A studio for 2 or 3 will be far better than for your group of 4. I'm not sure the usual length of your trip, you mentioned a 6 day trip earlier. One way to save points is to go S-F. Personally I'd go 5 days avoiding weekends in a 1 BR rather than 6 days in a studio. Of course there are other ways to save points if need be as well.