PDA

View Full Version : Online Booking coming to DVC for real

CheapMom
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
From Disney Files Magazing (Spring 2009)
Question: When will Members be able to book resort reservations
online?
Answer: This is a priority for Disney Vacation Club, and informationtechnology
efforts are underway to make this service available. While no
timetable has been set, Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis expressed
his optimism for a launch by early next year. Disney Files Magazine will share
updates when new details are available.

wildernessDad
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Oh NO!!!!! :scared1:

LauraLap
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
That would be awesome! I am shocked that in this day and age we have to make our reservations by phone.

White_Sox_Fan
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I wonder how much time MS will spend trying to undo and fix that which has been royally screwed up by those attempting all but the simplest online bookings.

bookwormde
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I am really happy that they are finally going to institute on line booking for DVC. I am even happier that is am not going to be trying to book any vacations during 2010 while they work through the mess that IT will make out of it.

bookwormde

kerickson
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
They better do some pretty significant load testing before rolling out to take Christmas/NYE reservations.... Even so the system is likely to crawl, if not crash, during those times. But, they have to move this way eventually.

Hopefully 'launch by early next year' means Feb/March 2010 not Jan 2010... :badpc:

CarolA
02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Don't panic or waste time getting excited!

DVC has to deal with the "wizards" in Disney's IT shop. Do you think this will work? Have you ever tried to book a HOTEL on Disney's site?

We have at least a year after Mr. Lewis's GOAL before the "broken" system will be rolled out! LOL! And then it won't work right most of the time based on current technology they use!

AnnaS
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't mind looking for availability not sure I want to actually try to book something on-line.

There are many times they have had to get a supervisor or manually fix something. Not sure how it might work (w/the whole banking, borrowing, transfer, using banked points first, waitlisting, etc.) I don't know if this will become a reality.

kerickson
02-27-2009, 06:45 PM
online?
Answer: This is a priority for Disney Vacation Club, and informationtechnology
efforts are underway to make this service available. While no

Forgot to ask, did you receive your Disney Files Spring magazine?

ILIKEWDW
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I have made all my pasts hotel reservations trough Disney´s website with NO PROBLEM!!!

The big benefit for us is that we can make it 24/7.

So if making reservations on DVC will be as easy and comfortable as at the Disney webpage, it would be OK!!!

WilsonFlyer
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
God save us one and all. Amen.

CarolA
02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I have made all my pasts hotel reservations trough Disney´s website with NO PROBLEM!!!

So if making reservations on DVC will be as easy and comfortable as at the Disney webpage, it would be OK!!!

Congratulations!

However, this should NOT be something thats considered unusual... and sadly it is with Disney! I spend a decent amount of time on the resort boards reading the "horrors" of booking threads!:lmao: :happytv:

I have suggested that Disney call Marriott and/or Hilton and STEAL some programmers! Disney thinks "cute" equals function. Disney's site is CUTE, but is NOT functional! If you want to compare the pricing at a value and mod for example expect that you have re-enter EVERYTHING several times! And at some point Tinkerbell will just fly around and around and around and around and around and around and......................popcorn::

fijidoc
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM

ILIKEWDW
02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
And at some point Tinkerbell will just fly around and around and around and around and around and around and......................popcorn::

LOL, that is true, however as we did not need to compare prices or resorts (we like MK resorts, so there were only two options for us : Poly or GF), I just go directly to choose the resort, nights, etc.......

Most of the times in less than half an hour, our reservations were ready and as I said, if we were busy all the week, we easily did it on weekend or late at night.

wildernessDad
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL, that is true, however as we did not need to compare prices or resorts (we like MK resorts, so there were only two options for us : Poly or GF), I just go directly to choose the resort, nights, etc.......

Most of the times in less than half an hour, our reservations were ready and as I said, if we were busy all the week, we easily did it on weekend or late at night.

"Easily" is the operative word here. We'll see how easily this turns out, but I'm not going to be one who uses this service early in its existence. After all, if I'm going to be an alpha-level tester, I'd like to get paid for it.

keishashadow
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
God save us one and all. Amen.

:scared1: based on their current IT track record, i am concerned as to pandora's box effect...would think the likelihood for a crash to be substantial for peak dates....sure hope it's a secure site!

so, is it safe to believe we'll be footing the bill for the hardware upgradepopcorn::

Tozzie
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I personally believe there are too many variables to making reservations and doubt that it will be functional any time soon.

IF they do roll out on line booking how do they decide when a new day starts, is it midnight eastern time, is it 9 am eastern time? What about people who don't use the internet? Will those who have access be able to book reservations earlier than the people who have to call in, possibly shutting people out of prime times? What about scheduled nightly maintance? This is far more complicated than making a hotel reservation due to the booking windows, borrowing points, combining points from different resorts at the 7month window. Wait what about those who change reservations at 7 months and have to cancel the original reservation to free up points first? I don't think , given the past performance of the IT department that this will come to fruition anytime soon, definitley not next year. Heck they can't even get the on line checkin to work correctly.

mikeandkarla
02-28-2009, 05:30 AM
online?
Answer: This is a priority for Disney Vacation Club, and informationtechnologyefforts are underway to make this service available. While no

NO!:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

DebbieB
02-28-2009, 05:46 AM

Cash reservations and DVC are totally different. With cash, you just pick what you want, enter your credit card info and that's it. With DVC, you will be dealing with banking and borrowing, use years, separate contracts, etc. The problem is many new members do not understand how DVC works.

rkdahl
02-28-2009, 06:53 AM
I am very confident this won't be made available to members until at least 2012 after they go through a beta test and find all the bugs that the 'real world' creates during testing! :worship:

dianeschlicht
02-28-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure why this announcement should be any more believable than the 3-4 others that used exactly the same words several YEARS ago!! The last time I went to the annual meeting was about 2004, and they were promising it within the year then!:confused3

podsnel
02-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure why this announcement should be any more believable than the 3-4 others that used exactly the same words several YEARS ago!! The last time I went to the annual meeting was about 2004, and they were promising it within the year then!:confused3

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. When I think of how hard it was to book online at midnight for Palo on DCL, how stressful it was,how it took 20 minutes before the site would even say, "oh, yeah- you ARE on the cruise"- I would hate to have to have that experience everytime I wanted to try for something "special" with DVC- like AKV concierge or a GV.:scared1:

CarolA
02-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Suggestion...

If you don't want it, head over to the member site and send them an email.

One of the things these boards have pointed out to me is that those of us who are HAPPY with current things don't make a point to be heard. (See the "I want booking categories at SSR campaign") So Disney may have a view that tends to be "biased" by the organized campaigns. DVC does not really seem to do sampling etc... so speak up!

I am not sure how I feel on this so I am not sending an email.

Liljam
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I can't IMAGINE trusting my points to Disney's Web Services. Disney seems to lack in online booking, for sure. When I decided to book my first adult trip to WDW for myself and my DH in 2007, I went to site expecting to book a MYW online flawlessly because I've been booking hotels and trips and buying concert tix online since I was 20 with NO problems (think back to the AOL. Compuserv, pay by minute days of dial up even!)

Needless to say, I ended up calling the 407 line, booking my trip the old fashioned way and all was well. I can't IMAGINE trusting DVCMember site with online booking. Availability checking would be fine, but not booking! We shall see.

Debi
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I have very mixed emotions about this. On one hand, if Disney gets the website functioning properly, this would be a HUGE convenience for members. On the other hand, this is a huge 'if.' Disney is famous for having website challenges, so if the site can get function without issue, this would be a big plus.