PDA

View Full Version : PassPorterís Disney Weddings & Honeymoons - Must Read!

jenna77
02-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just finished reading the new e-book written by Carrie (lurkyloo), PassPorterís Disney Weddings & Honeymoons. It is a must-read for every DFTW bride and those honeymooning at Disney. It is packed with so much information, it answered just about every question I've had and it's much faster (and less frustrating) than waiting for your coordinator to respond to your e-mails or phone calls. In 275 pages, Carrie covers every type of Disney wedding - Escape, Wishes, Couture, and Cruise, in great detail as well as the most current information and prices. She also has excellent sections on honeymoons, special events such as dessert parties, as well as timelines, interactive planning worksheets and ways to save money, and gorgeous photos throughout.

I signed up for a 1-month Passporter membership for about $5 and was able to download all of the e-books on the site as well as Carrie's. I would have glady paid fives times that amount just for the wedding e-book. It's that good! I know I'll be referring to the book numerous times as I plan my wedding and honeymoon.

Thank you for providing us with such a wonderful and up-to-date reference Carrie!

Goldeelox9
02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
AND....My picture is in the book! I got married on the Disney Cruise and my picture of my civil ceremony is in the book along with a picture of my cake and my inlaws sitting on the beach at our ceremony site! Just a little self promoting. LOL The book is great though!!!!!!

Wazzo
02-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree that it's fantastic!! :lovestruc A priceless resource to have while planning! :surfweb:

myprincessgirlisa
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
ITA carrie did an AWESOME job & i couldn't think of a better person to have written it!!!!

carrie you did awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :cheer2: :dance3: :banana: :cool1:

DisneyDmbNut
02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I posted a thread on passporter today asking if it is possible to get it printed as a book available in B&N

I was in B&N last night and looked through all their wedding planning books and no one had a Disney planner..there were one or two with DFTW information, but only as a "get married with Mickey" jokingly.

Nothing as a true planner for brides who are serious about Disney!

here is the link
http://www.passporter.com/weddings.asp

Petals & Pixie Dust
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Can I get this in hard copy? Is there a link on the website? I have a mac...will it effect the download??? Can I download it to a jump drive? Questions Questions...sorry e-book illiterate! BUT Mom says to get it asap! :lmao:

honey2741
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I posted a thread on passporter today asking if it is possible to get it printed as a book available in B&N

I was in B&N last night and looked through all their wedding planning books and no one had a Disney planner..there were one or two with DFTW information, but only as a "get married with Mickey" jokingly.

here is the link

As a Certified Professional Author's Assistant this option is feasible. It can be done on a self-publishing scale. I recommend Lightning Source. Due to the fact of the arrangement they have with the distributor, the book would end up being listed on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles. It would also make it available in Europe/UK to be sold. No need to purchase inventory. HTH!

pink_tink8i8
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM

here is the link

Thanks for asking them to get it printed as a book!

jenna77
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM

here is the link

Agreed! I was just thinking that this book should be available printed in stores. An e-book is great because of the interactivity and ease of updates, but not everyone likes e-books. Carrie's book could stand up to any wedding planning book IMO! It might also help to make known the fact that Disney weddings can be affordable! I almost didn't look at the DFTW Web site initially because I just assumed all Disney weddings would be ridiculously priced.

jenna77
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Can I get this in hard copy? Is there a link on the website? I have a mac...will it effect the download??? Can I download it to a jump drive? Questions Questions...sorry e-book illiterate! BUT Mom says to get it asap! :lmao:

I am not sure about hard copy, you would have to check the PassPorter site. You can certainly view this book on a Mac and store it anywhere on your computer or on an external device such as a jump drive. That would make it portable!

Just make sure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher (available freely from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) to view the interactive pages!

Petals & Pixie Dust
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I am not sure about hard copy, you would have to check the PassPorter site. You can certainly view this book on a Mac and store it anywhere on your computer or on an external device such as a jump drive. That would make it portable!

Just make sure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher (available freely from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) to view the interactive pages!

From the sounds of it...no hard copy yet...
I think i need to update my adobe...
What is all of this interactive stuff?
WOW! am I smart...and to think I'm a college student! :laughing:

DisneyDmbNut
02-16-2009, 07:23 PM
you can fill out forms before printing and I think it has excel spreadsheet for figuring /per guest totals

figmentfan814
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
AND....My picture is in the book! I got married on the Disney Cruise and my picture of my civil ceremony is in the book along with a picture of my cake and my inlaws sitting on the beach at our ceremony site! Just a little self promoting. LOL The book is great though!!!!!!

That's too cute, I have some shots in the book too, so your post made me smile :goodvibes

adisneygal
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Agreed! I was just thinking that this book should be available printed in stores. An e-book is great because of the interactivity and ease of updates, but not everyone likes e-books. Carrie's book could stand up to any wedding planning book IMO! It might also help to make known the fact that Disney weddings can be affordable! I almost didn't look at the DFTW Web site initially because I just assumed all Disney weddings would be ridiculously priced.

I totally agree!!! If it wasn't for Carrie, I never would have even looked into a Disney wedding. I happened to see her link to her wedding TR and then read how she stayed at the minimum and then Df and I were sold on a DFTW. This book should be in print.

tinks_1989
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I have purchased this too it looks good i will have a proper read tomorrow

lacool
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Is it worth it for those of us just Disneymooning and not having a Disney Wedding?

jenna77
02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Is it worth it for those of us just Disneymooning and not having a Disney Wedding?

Yes, in my opinion it is worth it. There are 18+ pages strictly on WDW honeymoons and a separate section on cruise line honeymoons. Carrie has all kinds of great suggestions for romantic things to do on your honeymoon, ways to make it extra special. I got some great ideas from reading it.

And, for only $5 you get access to all of the e-books on PassPorter.

The Scotts
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Downloaded this and started reading it yesterday. It's a great resource, I'd highly recommend downloading this if you're planning a Disney wedding in the near future. It goes into so much detail, and it's useful to have everything in one place. Great work Carrie!

lov2b@disney
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Wish it was available when we were planning our DFTW!!! Guess we will have to use it for a VR!:rotfl:

lurkyloo
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
:goodvibes I'm so glad you are finding it helpful!

As a Certified Professional Author's Assistant this option is feasible. It can be done on a self-publishing scale. I recommend Lightning Source. Due to the fact of the arrangement they have with the distributor, the book would end up being listed on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles. It would also make it available in Europe/UK to be sold. No need to purchase inventory. HTH!

Apparently, if we did it this way, the pages of the book (and therefore all those pictures) would have to be black and white.

What do you all think? Would you still be interested in a physical copy of the book if it were black and white?

DisneyDmbNut
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
the Passporter is in color now!

I was flipping through the new one in B&N Sunday night and was happy to see color (I ordered my refill kit through passporter for the May trip)

Dave Marx responded to my question about making it a book-for-purchase and says that is something being considered

There was NOTHING at B&N that was a planner for WDW weddings..even the destination planners only mention it in passing

lurkyloo
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, the cold hard fact is that the weddings book would not be nearly popular enough to make back the costs of all-color printing. ;) Only the PassPorter has that kind of universal appeal! :)

jenna77
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
:goodvibes I'm so glad you are finding it helpful!

Apparently, if we did it this way, the pages of the book (and therefore all those pictures) would have to be black and white.

What do you all think? Would you still be interested in a physical copy of the book if it were black and white?

Personally, I prefer an e-book over a physical copy because of the interactivity, search ability, updates, and the fact that I bring my laptop everywhere with me! If I think of something I want to look up, it's right there on my computer. I don't have to carry a book around. For the same reasons I always request e-textbooks from the schools I teach for.

B&W photos might take away some of the appeal of the book, but it would still be a very useful resource. It seems like e-books are a lot more popular than they used to be anyway. The only real downside I think, is that some people who would benefit by reading it may never find it.

tinks_1989
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I have been reading the pass porter and I am just reading the desert party bit and is it not possible to have a dessert party if you have an escape wedding as it says a minimum of 20 guests on nearly all locations except japan which is maximum of 10

Silly Little Pixie
02-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Does it have much on Vow Renewals? We're having our VR on CC in November, and am wondering if it's worth getting. I've never bought an ebook before, my Passporters are the good old spiral bound type!

lurkyloo
02-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I have been reading the pass porter and I am just reading the desert party bit and is it not possible to have a dessert party if you have an escape wedding as it says a minimum of 20 guests on nearly all locations except japan which is maximum of 10

PMed you! :)

Does it have much on Vow Renewals? We're having our VR on CC in November, and am wondering if it's worth getting. I've never bought an ebook before, my Passporters are the good old spiral bound type!

Disney treats vow renewals the same as weddings, so the only difference between a CC vow renewal and a CC wedding is $1,000 and not having to to deal with a marriage license. :thumbsup2

DisneyDmbNut
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM

It has a lot of information for VR's (and pictures of mine!! :laughing: ). I think it is only $7.95 which is pretty cheap for all the information..

MegKate
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
There's now a Facebook fan page for this book! Check it out!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PassPorters-Disney-Weddings-Honeymoons/127958845407?ref=nf

I'm a fan!! This is a great book - I would like to see it published even in black and white. :goodvibes

jenna77
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Carrie,

I just want to say thank you again for writing this book! I've found myself referencing it frequently while trying to make my date decision, and something that you mention in the book is going to save me quite a bit of money, as you know. I wouldn't have asked if I hadn't read it in your book.

honey2741
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately, the cold hard fact is that the weddings book would not be nearly popular enough to make back the costs of all-color printing. ;)

You are absolutely correct. Either way I am ABSOLUTELY happy to have the resource and the search capabilities are fabulous.

Silly Little Pixie
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
It has a lot of information for VR's (and pictures of mine!! :laughing: ). I think it is only $7.95 which is pretty cheap for all the information..

Yea!!! Okay, I'll get it then. :thumbsup2

torsie24
03-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Got mine!! Love it Carrie!! :)

Now I need to figure a way to get it printed right so I can put it in my passporter!

I have really bad double sided printing issues - I can never do it right!

arbolita
03-09-2009, 06:59 AM

Yes! I'm just doing a DisneyMoon, but I think it would be great, especially since my printer is on it's last legs, so I'd have to handwrite all the notes I wanted if I ever tried to use the info away from my computer.

Quick question about e-books - once you have purchased it and downloaded it, is there a way to send it or download it on other computers? That would help also, so I could have a copy on my home PC and at work or on fiance's laptop.

rpmdfw
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I didn't know Carrie wrote a book!

How cool is that? It looks awesome! :yay:

Wish I'd had this as a resource when we were planning!

Carrie, if you decide to add Commitment Ceremonies in a subesquent updated edition, let me know. I'll let you use our photos if you're interested. (assuming that you haven't covered them already, of course):thumbsup2

lurkyloo
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Now I need to figure a way to get it printed right so I can put it in my passporter!

I have really bad double sided printing issues - I can never do it right!

I know, it's hard for me too! There are instructions on page 202 about how to do it. I always have to do a test one and then draw a little diagram for myself so I know which way to put the pages back into the printer for printing side 2. :cutie:

Quick question about e-books - once you have purchased it and downloaded it, is there a way to send it or download it on other computers?

Yes, you just attach it to an email like any other file.

Of course, if you attempt to email it to someone else for free, a robot arm will come out of your computer and withdraw $7.95 from your wallet... :rotfl:

Carrie, if you decide to add Commitment Ceremonies in a subesquent updated edition, let me know. I'll let you use our photos if you're interested. (assuming that you haven't covered them already, of course)

It was thanks to you that I was extremely vigilent about using language in the book that encompassed commitment ceremonies as well as weddings. :thumbsup2 In some cases, I just had to go with "wedding" because "wedding, vow renewal, or commitment ceremoy" wouldn't fit, but most of the time you'll see "event" instead of "wedding."

And thank you for the offer of your fabulous pictures! :goodvibes

rpmdfw
03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
It was thanks to you that I was extremely vigilent about using language in the book that encompassed commitment ceremonies as well as weddings. :thumbsup2 In some cases, I just had to go with "wedding" because "wedding, vow renewal, or commitment ceremoy" wouldn't fit, but most of the time you'll see "event" instead of "wedding."

And thank you for the offer of your fabulous pictures! :goodvibes

I appreciate your attention to detail. In many cases Disney had to be reminded. They've gotten a lot better; but they still list things on the website as "Wedding, Vow Renewal, or commitment ceremony". See the capatilization issue? I sure do. But maybe I'm sensitive to it more than most. If we're going to pay as much as straight folks, then capitalize the durned thing! :rotfl:

Frankly, we used "wedding" almost exclusively when we were planning or talking to people simply because "Commitment Ceremony" sounds like they're going to sign the papers to have us locked up in the loony bin. (which many people thought was appropriate after we'd shelled out the cash for the Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding. :rotfl2: )

Congrats again on the book! Awesome job! :thumbsup2

lurkyloo
03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I just wanted to update this thread with info on the new version of PassPorter's Disney Weddings & Honeymoons.

It's been updated to reflect the new reduced pricing for Wishes weddings in 2010, along with the new 8-month booking window for Escape weddings and the ability to book Escape events on weekends now. There are also some price changes for entertainment, and title changes at DFTW.

This update is FREE for anyone who has already purchased the book. If you bought the book from PassPorter's store, you just log in to your order history and re-download it. And if you joined PassPorter's Club, you can download the new one from the Reading Room forum.

:thumbsup2

torsie24
03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I just wanted to update this thread with info on the new version of PassPorter's Disney Weddings & Honeymoons.

It's been updated to reflect the new reduced pricing for Wishes weddings in 2010, along with the new 8-month booking window for Escape weddings and the ability to book Escape events on weekends now. There are also some price changes for entertainment, and title changes at DFTW.

This update is FREE for anyone who has already purchased the book. If you bought the book from PassPorter's store, you just log in to your order history and re-download it. And if you joined PassPorter's Club, you can download the new one from the Reading Room forum.

:thumbsup2
Thanks for the update Carrie.

Can you believe my subscription ran out today?!? Hope it's still free.

Once there is a 2011 update though I'll definitely re-download it!

I've removed so much from my passporter and all the wedding sheets still won't fit in! Lol. I'm going to take it into the printers that I work next to and see if they'll bind a copy for me.

lurkyloo
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
That's a great idea! Maybe they could even do a spiral or something so it stays flat.

Another way for people to get a printed copy is to send the file to www.LuLu.com and have them print it as a black and white paperback at 5.5" x 8.5" - it's less than $7, plus the cost of shipping.

I have a cover file I can send you to use, although it doesn't include the spine and back cover, so you get to make up what they look like in Lulu! ;)

The pictures, of course, don't look great in black and white, but at least you'll have a printed reference that you can carry around. :thumbsup2