PDA

View Full Version : Coral World?

GoofyTraci
02-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Can anyone explain Coral world to me? I was looking online at disney's excursion info and dont understand which package to choose from. We would like to do the Sea Lion swim. Do I call coral world and schedule that seperately since disney does not list it. The sea lion swim/price also includes admission. But if I do disneys excursion it is for the ride there and admission only.I dont want to pay admissions twice. But feel safe since I am traveling alone with my son to ride with people from the ship as well. The sea trek thing also looks kinda neat. I'm confused...

Any suggestions would be great...or tell me what your family did.

TIA:flower3:

frdeb1999
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
You'll have to do that all seperate from Disney. We wanted to do the Sea Turtle thing and you are'nt there long enough with most of the excursions that include Coral World. You end up with about a 1 1/2 total time to look around. Coral world itself is alright, but just don't go in thinking it's like any of the larger aquariums. We enjoyed our excursion, but isn't anything we'd ever do again. Hope that helps a bit.

Eeyore'sthebest
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
We did the sea lion swim at Coral World last month. We booked directly with CW and not the Disney excursion.
You will definitely feel safe getting off the boat and getting a taxi to CW. The taxis are literally right off the boat. You may have to wait a few minutes for them to get more people but just ask how long they are waiting. It was $9 pp so for 3 of us we just gave him $30. When you pay him, ask him for a coupon for CW. It's a couple of dollars off.

When you pay at CW you will pay for the admission gate only. You will be instructed to go to the white thing (its on their website) and pay for the sea lion swim there. They will give you instructions on when to report back. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION!! If you are late they will start without you and you are out your money. There was a family of 5 that was supposed to swim with us but they were 30 minutes after the reporting time and 15 minutes after it was supposed to start.

Anyway, CW is a cute little marine park. You can feed sting rays, see shark feeding demonstrations, lots of fun things. Look on their website. It is also next to Coki Beach and the wrist band they give you permits you to come back all day. We didn't go to the beach.
Our swim was scheduled for 1 p.m. We got off the boat when it docked and went right to CW. We paid, then went over to pay for the sea lions. We spent the next couple of hours just slowly enjoying the exhibits and seeing the different programs they were doing - sting ray feeding, shark feeding and sea lion demo. We then did our shopping, ate lunch and went to change for the swim. We reported back to where we had to swim and then waited for the other family. :headache: Like I said, they missed it and we had an AMAZING time. After, I went to pay for the CD of pictures. You can buy it in advance. Ours was $39.99, it depends on the number of people in your party but that is the most expensive. I think for 2 it would be $29.99.
Anyway, after the swim it took about 10 minutes for them to burn the CD. I think the morning group was told it would be an hour. Maybe if they have to separate families it may take longer.

Anyway, after that was done we went outside to the slew of waiting taxis and caught it back to the ship. We did a little touristy shop on the pier and were back on board with an hour to spare.

If you want to do the swim you need to book it in advance and as soon as possible. They take a credit card number over the phone but don't charge it. You pay when you get there. And yes, the cost was minus what we paid for admission.
I understand they only have the swim two times a day, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. It was definitely worth the money. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. We had a great time and I'm more then willing to answer questions.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/allisoncyr/01-21-09373.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/allisoncyr/01-21-09216.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/allisoncyr/01-21-09230.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/allisoncyr/01-21-09359.jpg

GoofyTraci
02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
wow thanks for the info..the pics are great..thanks for making me feel better. Hard to travel alone..

GoofyTraci
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
? how far in advance can you book with coral world? We are sailing in Nov.. and is the 1pm time better incase we dont get there in time?

sdaniel105
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
My wife and I did the Sea Lion swim last month while on the CCL Valor. We had them all to ourselves. We also booked it seperate and prefer to rent a car, but the taxi would work fine as well.

Loved the swim. Wish it was longer, but that goes for most of these kind of things. Since it was just the two of us the trainer took 430 photos of us with the sea lions. She must have one of those cameras that can got a ton of shots in no time. Some of the scenes are like watching a movie.

Have a good time.
Sean

Eeyore'sthebest
02-14-2009, 05:07 PM
They use an Olympus camera that is waterproof and crushproof. There is a mode on there that does the continual shooting so it does look like a movie. We got about 400 pictures as well. Its a great camera. I bought one for the trip and was bummed when they told us we couldn't bring a camera in with us. Once we swam I understand why they wouldn't want a camera on your wrist.

OP - I would book as soon as you can. We booked in December for January but got very lucky with a cancellation. They don't bill your credit card unless you are a no show and don't cancel. So go ahead and book now to make sure you get the time you want. The ship leaves port around 4:30 I believe so I would go ahead and try to get the 10 a.m. spot because it gives you time to do other stuff for the day like the beach of shopping. Enjoy.

GoofyTraci
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
They use an Olympus camera that is waterproof and crushproof. There is a mode on there that does the continual shooting so it does look like a movie. We got about 400 pictures as well. Its a great camera. I bought one for the trip and was bummed when they told us we couldn't bring a camera in with us. Once we swam I understand why they wouldn't want a camera on your wrist.

OP - I would book as soon as you can. We booked in December for January but got very lucky with a cancellation. They don't bill your credit card unless you are a no show and don't cancel. So go ahead and book now to make sure you get the time you want. The ship leaves port around 4:30 I believe so I would go ahead and try to get the 10 a.m. spot because it gives you time to do other stuff for the day like the beach of shopping. Enjoy.

thanks so much for all of your help.:flower3: Hope your next cruise is a blast!