PDA

View Full Version : In this economy, are the boats really sailing full?

jodifla
02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
With all the FLA resident discounts out, it seems like the boats must be really running below capacity.

Kim&Chris
02-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I was wondering that myself. However, I don't really see any general public discounts out there to 'boost' attendance, like they offered after 9/11.

dursin
02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I was wondering that myself. However, I don't really see any general public discounts out there to 'boost' attendance, like they offered after 9/11.
No public discounts? What about the 'Take a 4/7 day cruise now and return in the fall for a $99pp 3 day cruise' and the 'Kids Sail Free' discounts that were recently offered? Not really a discount, but deposits have also been cut to 50%.

We were on the Wonder last month at Florida Resident discount rate and ship was full.

TheWog
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I imagine that most of the current cruises were probably booked by many people upwards of a year or so ago. So these current sailings may be full, but I imagine this Summer and into next year they are lacking and need to get some rooms filled.

Kborn
02-13-2009, 11:46 AM
I imagine that most of the current cruises were probably booked by many people upwards of a year or so ago. So these current sailings may be full, but I imagine this Summer and into next year they are lacking and need to get some rooms filled.

I'm with you in your thinking, but Disney had the foresight to move the Magic over seas where their money seems to be in better shape. Plus, they lowered the booking deposit which is the only reason we are going in Sept.

outahere
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a feeling that the ships are not as full as they have been in the past, at least on some of the 7 night cruises. Due to a scheduling conflict we had to move a ressie from August to this April. When I called (less than 2 weeks ago) to make the switch, I had my choice of cabins in several different categories. The DCL web site is still not showing GTY status in at least cats 5 and 6 for that cruise, and here's the real kicker........ Main dining is still available and we're only 63 days from sailing!

MississippiMom
02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
No public discounts? What about the 'Take a 4/7 day cruise now and return in the fall for a $99pp 3 day cruise' and the 'Kids Sail Free' discounts that were recently offered? Not really a discount, but deposits have also been cut to 50%.

Yes, these may be "public" discounts, but they weren't deep enough to make us consider cruising with DCL. We will have to wait for another year, or a different cruise line.

bones
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Those cat 12's are the biggest discount, they had a 4 day cruise available for $417.(one day for a coupla hours) thats like a 60% discount, we scored 5 cabins. Plus an OBC(25.00), and the fuel surcharge refunded as OBC depending on time of sail.

mkmommy
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
When I was on the Wonder in December, on deck 2 it was closed off between the front and mid elevators on one side and they were working on the rooms, so that must be 20 rooms not sold.

NancyIL
02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm with you in your thinking, but Disney had the foresight to move the Magic over seas where their money seems to be in better shape. Plus, they lowered the booking deposit which is the only reason we are going in Sept.

Nah - it's a worldwide economic mess. Plus- some European currencies (like the British pound and the euro) have been hurt by a stronger US dollar. The prices DCL is charging for their 2010 Europe cruises are so high compared to similar itineraries on NCL (currently the only other cruise line with 2010 Europe itineraries released) that DCL will not be sailing full unless they do some serious price-cutting.

wls23
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
BONES -

did you score that great rate on the disneycruiseline website or from a third party? i'm trying to find a deal like that and have not been successful

spaddy
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
When I was on the Wonder in December, on deck 2 it was closed off between the front and mid elevators on one side and they were working on the rooms, so that must be 20 rooms not sold.

Same as our November cruise. They must have had those closed off for a while.

tvguy
02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Same as our November cruise. They must have had those closed off for a while.

I don't think they have the ability to quickly decide to just take cabins out of service for rehab if passenger load is light. I bet that was scheduled a year or so in advance, and those cabins not even put up for sale. Granted, I bet they picked what is a traditionally slow time of year.

saratrw
02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
We just got off the Wonder yesterday and I do know the ship was full.

jodifla
02-14-2009, 09:53 AM

But it seems to me they are only full because of the last minute deals for Florida travelers and all the other promotions they are doing.

NancyIL
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
But it seems to me they are only full because of the last minute deals for Florida travelers and all the other promotions they are doing.
Disney's promotions seem to be working at WDW as well.

bwkwpw
02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Cat 12 on the Wonder for Dec 13-17 09 is $399pp. Just booked ours yesterday :cool1:

jodifla
02-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Cat 12 on the Wonder for Dec 13-17 09 is $399pp. Just booked ours yesterday :cool1:

Wow..good price!

orlandothebeagle
02-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm with you in your thinking, but Disney had the foresight to move the Magic over seas where their money seems to be in better shape. Plus, they lowered the booking deposit which is the only reason we are going in Sept.:sad2: I dont think so we are getting battered paying for our next cruise the rate is so bad. Our econamy is the same as yours.

Cruise
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM

We were on the Wonder last month at Florida Resident discount rate and ship was full.

Yes, these may be "public" discounts, but they weren't deep enough to make us consider cruising with DCL. We will have to wait for another year, or a different cruise line.

These "discounts" also don't work for us. No kids, so kids sailing free doesn't do anything for us. And, coming from the West Coast, even at $99/person, it's not worth making the trip for a 3 day cruise. Considering we would have had to make the trip once already to even qualify for the 3 day rate, it's even more not worth it. We could add on extra days to do something else, but frankly, we don't really enjoy the parks that much and that would just add cost to what was supposed to be a "deal."

CandyMandy
02-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know about everyone else here, but most DCL cruisers book far, far in advance. So all with all due respect, these "I just got off the ship and it was full" stories don't mean anything. What is meaningful are the number of advance bookings being made now - and from what I'm hearing through various grapevines, they are seriously down for ALL cruise lines including DCL.

Tink rules
02-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Nah - it's a worldwide economic mess. Plus- some European currencies (like the British pound and the euro) have been hurt by a stronger US dollar. The prices DCL is charging for their 2010 Europe cruises are so high compared to similar itineraries on NCL (currently the only other cruise line with 2010 Europe itineraries released) that DCL will not be sailing full unless they do some serious price-cutting.

Alot of people who had originally booked the European cruises for next year have either changed their ressies or canceled - they pay OUR prices - so the Dollar exchange rate has hit them hard.

they did the promotions for the 3 night - alot of people on the 7 nights are reporting being upgraded - not all, but some..

Disney's promotions seem to be working at WDW as well.

& they're still losing money...

RC and Carnival were told by Wall Street weeks ago to cut back drastically on the ship orders they have and some have not only reported lots of discounts, but cutbacks on certain things like the buffets being closed early, etc... (not on DCL...)

I'm thinking of doing Alaska with my mom this summer (she's 77 and wants to see it while she is still healthy....) and I get emails DAILY from them offering discounts.

Adventures by Disney has also started cancelling some of their tours because of lack of bookings... some people have complained that they have been effected very close to their traveling date and even though they are offered alternative dates, ABD does not include airfare for some - international travelers especially - and people are upset because they will lose out because of that.

bavaria
02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm with you in your thinking, but Disney had the foresight to move the Magic over seas where their money seems to be in better shape.
I take it that this post was tongue in cheek. Many economies are worse off than the American economy, and will take longer to recover. I have been posting that for almost two years now but it would appear that some people just aren't aware of the worlwide situation.

Someone asked us 'foreigners' to respond to the prices when the European cruises were announced last year; most of us felt that they were very out of our reach.

Much/most of Europe, Asia and Canada will fall harder and longer than America and will take longer to recover. Disney cannot rely on overseas visits to make up for any shortfall of American travellers.

Tink rules
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I have to look, but I think RC took one of it's ships out of the Baltic THIS year because of the prices and lack of bookings...

bavaria
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
To demonstrate what we mean about the exchange rate issue, in August 2008 1 Euro was worth $1.54

Today 1 Euro is worth $1.28

Consider the cost of cruises or ABD trips which can run into the thousands per person and you can see how the 'cost' of a trip to an overseas visitor has risen dramatically in the last few months. The UK pound is in a similar situation.

DLRP actually saw an increase in visits, in part because people have changed their travel habits.

NancyIL
02-14-2009, 09:14 PM

I take it that this post was tongue in cheek. Many economies are worse off than the American economy, and will take longer to recover. I have been posting that for almost two years now but it would appear that some people just aren't aware of the worlwide situation.

I took Kborn's post to be a serious one. For awhile the US dollar was taking a beating against European currencies, giving an economic advantage to foreign visitors paying for cruises and WDW vacations in US dollars. That is no longer the situation. (I'm happy that the dollar is stronger, because I'll be traveling to Europe in the fall.)

When DCL first announced the prices for their 2010 Europe cruises, there were no other cruise lines with 2010 Europe itineraries available with which to compare. DCL was very smart to get their itineraries out there first - so people couldn't make an intelligent comparison of DCL's itinerary and prices vs. another cruise line's. The Disney loyalists snapped up the suites, but there are still a lot of cabins left.

I think DCL's strategy is to drop prices in 2009 to fill their ships, and keep 2010 prices high until after the last of the 2009 cruisers are within the penalty phase of their 2009 reservations.

Tink rules
02-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I think alot of people keep ressies until right before final payment and see if they can afford it... at least that was the way it was... but with people not having the extra money out there to tie up... :confused3

orlandothebeagle
02-15-2009, 07:55 AM
I agree with prev poster.

I got 2 dollars for a pound.
When I booked theis cruise I got 1 dollar 29c.
BIG BIG Differance.

nuttylawprofessor
02-15-2009, 08:47 AM
This week, we booked a 7-nighter for May for $599 pp for cat. 12. It was a one-day special. I'm guessing ships are going to be somewhat empty through the spring.

Zeppelin
02-15-2009, 10:26 AM

yes- don't you have 75 days advance to cancel and get your money back??

jodifla
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Disney seems to be hoping that the economy will rebound in a big way. Nothing else can explain the 2010 cruise prices!

We have one booked for 2009, but I'm sure we're among the MANY who will be canceling/moving the cruise date.

Evil Queen 2
02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

We normally cruise with DCL in January/February and there have always been cabins/areas closed off for refurnishing. I think they do plan some of these during their lighter booking times.

We had lunch on sail away day with one of the contractors. The hostess greeted with "You're back again so soon." :goodvibes He talked about re-painting, carpets, and mattress being replaced in a number of cabins from time to time.

Tink rules
02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
This is being offered onboard right now for the med cruises...

Book a 2010 mediterranean cruise onboard and save 20% on prevailing rates as quoted on disneycruise.com and get a $400.00 onboard credit per stateroom! Plus, book onboard and the deposit will be reduced by 50%. [This applies only to the following cruise dates.]

10-Night Med Cruise
Sail Dates: May 5 & September 8, 2010

11-Night Med Cruise
Sail Dates: May 15 & August 28, 2010

7-Night Barcelona to Dover Cruise
Sail Date: June 5, 2010

Offer valid for categories 4-11 only and new bookings only. Government taxes and fees and excursions are not included. Deferred deposit amount due at time of final payment. If cancellation request is received 120 or more days prior to the vacation commencement date 100% of the amount of the vacation price will be refunded; ohterwise cancellation fees will apply.