PDA

View Full Version : Cruising in 2 weeks and need a good book!

Johnna_Story
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Just looking for some recommendations of a good cruise read. I'd love to find something not too serious but not total fluff either. And nothing that would make me want to jump overboard (so no Jodi Picoult!). :goodvibes

Any recommendations are appreciated!!

PPFQP
02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Just looking for some recommendations of a good cruise read. I'd love to find something not too serious but not total fluff either. And nothing that would make me want to jump overboard (so no Jodi Picoult!). :goodvibes

I LOVE to read. But I love Jodi Picoult also, so I'm not sure if my preferences will fit your taste.

How about:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows **loved this! It's about World War II and it's written in letters. **
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

If you like chick-lit, Emily Giffin's books are good. Start with Something Borrowed. The follow-up is Something Blue.

Q&A by Vikas Shwarup is the novel upon which the movie Slumdog Millionaire is based. GREAT book, although the original book is different than the movie. (The movie is fantastic also.)

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (and the other shopaholic books) is a really fun read, but the movie comes out this weekend.

Hope that gives you something to go on!

Tom _Ryan
02-13-2009, 07:43 AM
If you'd like, please check out my book. It takes place in Port Canaveral and one of the chapters is set at Disney World.

A Sword for Pizarro (http://www.holdfastbooks.com/order.htm)

“Combines the maritime adventure of Clive Cussler, the breezy escapism of Jimmy Buffett, and the witty mystery of Robert B. Parker…”
- Lost Treasure Magazine

“This is a true thriller, like recovering gold from the bottom of the ocean.”
- Bob “Frogfoot” Weller, author of 9 books on Sunken Treasure

“..I’m having a hard time putting it down to go to training!”
- Scott D. Altman, NASA Astronaut

trekygirl26
02-13-2009, 07:46 AM

If you like mysteries, any of the Mary Higgins Clark books are great! My favorites are "Loves Music, Loves to dance," "You Belong to Me," "Before I Say Goodbye," "We'll Meet Again," "Where are You Now," and "My Gal Sunday" (A series of 4 short stories). But really, any of hers are good.

bound2travel
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I can help if you like historical romances.

I love Virginia Henley - but she can be a bit "descriptive" if you know what I mean :goodvibes

Julia Quinn and Stephanie Laurens both write a series of books about a particular family. You don't have to start with the first one though.
The Quinn ones can be amusing as well especially the second one.

Quinn - 1st - Duke and I
2nd - Viscount Who Loved Me

Laurens - 1 st - Devil's Bride

Henley - Seduced is one of my favorites

Julie Garwood also has some great historicals

A contemporary:
Always the Bridesmaid by Whitney Lyles - this was really a good fun read.

Of course, as a librarian, I must say you can always ask for good titles at your local library (:rolleyes1 shameless plug I know)

dursin
02-13-2009, 07:59 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Confidential-Waterline-Parties-Travelers/dp/193236160X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234536071&sr=8-1
:)

becky23
02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I loved the book "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. This is a Christian Romance novel, but I thought it was amazing. I read this on my last cruise and didn't want it to end. I love her books.

bode
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Walt Disney
The Triumph of the American Imagination

by Neal Gabler

wdwwishes
02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
The Shack is good. It's been a best seller and top seller on iTunes.

pouncingpluto
02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Laxdaela Saga
Njal's Saga

:)

kimpossible
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Anthony Bourdain's- A Cook's Tour

Jimmy Buffett's A Salty Piece of Land

trimix
02-13-2009, 10:11 AM
My favorite book is perfect for a seven day cruise - Lord of the Rings.

For a three or four day cruise, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

kandeebunny
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I have to second "The Thirteenth Tale"

tinkmom2
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I have been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't been able to put them down and am on book 4.

Lollipop's Mom
02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Have you read the Sophie Kinsella books? Ok they are a bit fluff, but a fun read - I love them. The latest one 'Remember Me' is a great book. Her books are really funny.

plutojudy
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
For vacation reading, I love fluff books. Especially books by Janet Evanovich.

SueTGGR
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I am 40+ and I decided to see what the fuss was about the Twilight Series was about (before the movie was being talked about) and even though it was suggested to me by a teenager, it was fast reading and kept my interest going. I passed on my books to my SIL and she read the first 2 books in days! Granted she got nothing done around the house :laundy: but that is how good it is.
I also have read all of the Stephanie Plum books (Janey Evanovich) and the Woman's Murder Club series (James Patterson).
Enjoy!
Sue

dismom73
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I have been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't been able to put them down and am on book 4.

I finally read the first book, I finished it in a day and a half. Oh my! I can't wait to go get the second one!

nvcruiser
02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Along the lines of the Twilight books, Stephenie Meyer's book "The Host" was the one I read on my last cruise. Good enough to keep me interested, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything if I put it down for awhile to do "ship" things! ;)

MiknMinMouse
02-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I love "And only to Deceive" by Tasha Alexander. There are actually 3 books that go together and they are really hard to put down. Check out info on TashaAlexander.com or find them at Amazon or BN

kjd469
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I put my vote in also for the Sophie Kinsella "shopaholics" series of books...so funny and you don't have to read it all at once.

Also love Anita Shreve...The Pilot's Wife is a good read, as are any of her other books.

Have fun!!

Im_A_Princess
02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
oops

Im_A_Princess
02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
For cruises I like to take:
Garden Spells & Sugar Queen by Sarah Allen Addison,
anything by Janet Evanovich (in order),
anything by Robert Crais (best read in order),
Robert Parker Jesse Stone Series (in order) or Sunny Randall Series (in order), The 13th tale,
Harry Potter Series,
The House on Tradd Street by Karen White (awesome book),
anything by L.J. Smith (especially Secret Circle and Night World series),
... I don't like too much fluff.
I read a lot (EVERYDAY) :goodvibes

MousseauMob
02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Currently reading Sharon Kay Penman Devil's Brood - her latest in her set about King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.

MY favorite vacation books are P.G. Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster make me laugh, or old fashioned english mysteries like Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie, etc.

Of course having said that I pack LOTS of books and rarely get to them because I'm SO busy. :rotfl:

princesspaige
02-13-2009, 07:59 PM

I read the first book on my DCL cruise back in November then read the rest when I got back. I couldn't put them down...they are GREAT!!!:thumbsup2

acourtwdw
02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Jane Green. She is a British author. The books (and there are a lot of them) are a good beach read. You can pick up her books at Target or Barnes and Noble..

The Sophie Kinsella books (author of Shopaholic) are a great read also. She also writes under the name of Madeline Wickham. My current favorites of her are "Remember Me?" and "Can You Keep a Secret?".

auntyaba
02-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with another poster, Mary Higgins Clark is great I have all of her books and love them. Also a HUGE fan of Nicholas Sparks started reading his latest thinking I would bring it on board with me but I have almost finished it "the Lucky One" its a great book.

Zoom
02-13-2009, 09:37 PM
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger......It will be out in a movie this year (Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams).

isikorsky
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I try the local library and look under the new books section to see what they have. A new book = $ drink of the day :)

have fun! (If you like tom clancy/robert ludlum type books recommend Vince Flynn books !)

mmackeymouse
02-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Meh, I would say a negative on the Twilight books myself.

They are a pretty easy read. They are along the lines of Harry Potter, but clearly not as well written. HP is much more deep to Twilight's fluff.

I have only read the first 2 in the Twilight series, and I am not sure if I am going to continue. Not to sound like a brat, but if you are like me, and the story turns out differently than you hope it to, it just puts you in a bad mood.

Seriously, after New Moon, I was in a sour mood for like a week. I may finish the series just to be done with it, but since I have an idea how it will end up, and I do not like it, I am just not sure it is worth it.

Disneybridein2k3
02-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Are you joking me? Aren't you going on the podcast cruise? So you are cruising in 2 weeks and then in May too? Are you TRYING to make me jealous? :goodvibes So spill it, is this one a Disney cruise too?

As for books, any Mary Higgins Clark is good, Patricia Cornwell also, but my personal fav is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - nothing at all to do with cruising but if you don't fall in love with Jamie and Claire when it is done, there is something wrong with you. :) Looking forward to the podcast cruise (where there will be NO time for reading, I'm sure!)

tinkerbeth
02-14-2009, 06:10 AM
If you like Sophie Kinsella, I would also recommend Marian Keyes. I find her just a little bit less "light" and even funnier. For something a bit heavier, I like Philippa Gregory - "The Other Bolyn Girl" or "The Virgin's Lover"...I'm also working my way through the Shack but it is not what you would call a light read.

Have fun! :)

Beth :hippie:

MickeyCruiser
02-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Anything by Philipa Gregory, I started with the Other Boleyn a few years ago. They are follow the historical plot line with fiction woven in. Easy to read and easy to get into.

Mom2Eli
02-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Sophie Kinsella or Jane are great Fluff authors that aren't cheesy romance novels. I would also recommend the Twilight series. My favorites of all time are Mermaid Chair and Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

natsmom125
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I too have to go with the Twilight series.

My 16yo dd got me interested and I've read all 4 of them at least twice. I've also read all the HP books and love both series. But you know HP is ending:headache:, and the Twilight series could go on and on:goodvibes.
Just my opinion......

DD is counting the days until the movie comes out and then she can watch "Edward" whenever she wants too.

Phyllis

saratrw
02-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Angry Housewives eating Bon Bons Sounds silly but it is a great light read! I'm anxious to read the Twillight Series and I also love Janet Evanovich for a light read.

disneynan
02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Best book I have ever read and I read a lot!:thumbsup2 The problem with this book on a cruise though is that you won't want to put it down. The fourth in this series came out the day before DH and I went to Barbados a number of years ago. Guess what happened? Yup, I read the whole book while on vacation on a beautiful island.:lmao: :lmao:

I just started reading "Twilight" last night and love it. The only reason I am cruising the boards right now is because I am too lazy to go upstairs and get the book.

RalphM
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
just don't read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen...I loved the book but it was about a husband that throws his wife overboard while on a cruise...I was a little nervous walking on deck at nite with hubby...LOL

yazee1
02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Have you read the Sophie Kinsella books? Ok they are a bit fluff, but a fun read - I love them. The latest one 'Remember Me' is a great book. Her books are really funny.

Just finished listening to Shopaholic & Baby. I agree - fluffy but fun.

yazee1
02-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Hands down - Terry Pratchett. The Discworld books. Technically, it's science fiction but it's more of the fantasy genre. This author's work is intelligent and hilarious. Dh and I listen to his books more than read them. My favorites, so far, are Going Postal, Moving Pictures, and Making Money. Dh's favorites, when I asked him, are "any of them". LOL.

lulu0506
02-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Another vote for "The Thirteenth Tale" Loved that book!!!

I got lots of recommendations for "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak... it is my next read.

ESN
02-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I love James Michener books for travel --

"Caribbean" seems appropriate

sandiegosusie
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I put my vote in also for the Sophie Kinsella "shopaholics" series of books...so funny and you don't have to read it all at once.

Also love Anita Shreve...The Pilot's Wife is a good read, as are any of her other books.

Have fun!!

I second the shopaholics series...easy reads and hilarious! I would also reccomend, "Memory Keepers Daughter".

Tink rules
02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm always amazed how John Grisham knows I need a book for vacation... :rotfl:

PrincessShmoo
02-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I took Harry Potter, but then I'm still a kid at heart (oops, aren't we all?)

PrincessShmoo
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM

mmackeymouse
02-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I LOVE Harry Potter, and if you have read the entire series, you should know the book was clearly not written entirely for children. There were many idiosyncricies and details that only adult, or at least older teen readers would pick up and understand.

The first 2 or 3 books would not be such a bad idea. But, I think the later books of the series are far too deep, dark, and philosophical to be considered "easy reading."

Perhaps, for us HP fans, The Tales of Beedle the Bard would be a good light read.

Tink rules
02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I need to go back and read #7... of course that means I need to go back and start with at LEAST #5...

ibouncetoo
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Anything by Philipa Gregory, I started with the Other Boleyn a few years ago. They are follow the historical plot line with fiction woven in. Easy to read and easy to get into.

I discovered these books while on the Magic! Someone had left "The Other Boleyn" in Cove Cafe. I was on my first four day cruise, so I wasn't able to finish it. Needless to say, I hit the book store as soon as I got home. I've enjoyed all of them. For anyone just starting out, The Constant Princess is the first in the chronology.

As a Jimmy Buffet fan, I'd recommend his books to read while crusing. ::yes::

Tom, just followed the link to take a look at your book. It looks like the PERFECT read for a beach/cruise vacation! :thumbsup2

gofenmom
02-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Another vote for the Outlander series - my favorite:love: . Met a fellow cruiser on the EB Panama Canal Repo that had brought along 3 of Diana Gabaldon's books... Never checked with her to see if she got through them all. :goodvibes

plutojudy
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Nelson DeMille is also an excellent author.

mmackeymouse
02-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I need to go back and read #7... of course that means I need to go back and start with at LEAST #5...

I assume you are referring to Harry Potter. I definitely intend to re-read the series before Half-Blood comes out this summer.

I initially read the series in its entirety within a span of 10 days a couple of summers ago. I have been meaning to sit down and read them properly this time around, because I am sure I missed a lot of great details in Order and Half-Blood.

Okay, I would recommend The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. There are a lot of shout-outs to Disney in there, as well as lessons about how the author incorporated Disney into his life. Because it recounts the end of a person's life, you may expect it to be depressing, but it is not at all. It is actually very uplifting, a quick read, and weirdly enough, it made me feel so excited about our Disney vacation.

4warmwishers
02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
We are on the same cruise as you!!!!! I have the new James Patterson book "Run for your life" ready to go. Hope it's a good one.

I would also definetly recommend the Twilight series if you haven't read them. I thought they were GREAT!!!

Anal Annie
02-15-2009, 01:27 PM
You can find paperbacks (lighter & smaller for travel) for 25% off at Target. I will also vote for anything by John Grisham or Mary Higgins Clark. I am currently on book #2 of the "Sign of Seven" trilogy by Nora Roberts and I will give :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 to the trilogy so far. "Blood Brothers" is book # 1, "The Hollow" is book # 2 and "The Pagan Stone" is book # 3. The first book came out in Dec '07 and the 2nd book in May '08 but the final one just came out in Dec '08. (I like to wait for the whole series to be done so I can go thru the whole series at once.) Nora throws in a little more sumthin' sumthin' if you like a sprinkle of that here & there in your whodunits & thrillers.

Have a great trip (read)!

Carys
02-16-2009, 04:35 AM

Although I'm not a fan of the shopaholic series, I really enjoyed Remember Me - easy going narrative and fun story, would recommend it for cruise reading.

If you like Sophie Kinsella, I would also recommend Marian Keyes. I find her just a little bit less "light" and even funnier. For something a bit heavier, I like Philippa Gregory - "The Other Bolyn Girl" or "The Virgin's Lover"...I'm also working my way through the Shack but it is not what you would call a light read.

Have fun! :)

Beth :hippie:

I also enjoy Marian Keyes for a light read, although the latest one of hers that I read (This Charming Man) was a little darker than usual - I read it while relaxing one weekend at some hot springs and was a page turner but is probably a little heavier in some of its subject matter than I'd want to be reading on vacation.

Also would Not recommend The Thirteenth Tale for cruise reading - what a great story teller! but not a light-hearted tale at all. As depressing as Jodie Picoult's novels (who I also enjoy reading but again - wouldn't recommend for a cruise!).

I have enjoyed each Phillipa Gregory book I've read (3 I think off hand?) and if you enjoy dramatised historical novels of this sort you might also enjoy The Duchess by Amanda Foreman (which was made into a movie last year starring Keira Knightly).

Looking over my bookshelf, I'm amazed by how many novels I've bought in the last 6 months or so have been actually quite depressing (although good reads). Maybe you could arrange to swap a book with someone else part-way through your cruise if you're an avid reader?

ibouncetoo
02-16-2009, 08:26 AM
We did a book swap on the WestBoundPanamaCanal cruise this past May. We had a large cloth bag (like a laundry bag) fastened to the railing outside one stateroom and people dropped off and picked up books as needed (everyone brought a book they had already read to get the pile started). When we were done the books were given to the CREW for their enjoyement. Any books left behind are usually placed in Cove Cafe for guests, you must designate that your books are for crew so that they can keep them. And they were VERY HAPPY to get them. :thumbsup2

Soccermom-Cheri
02-16-2009, 11:28 AM
sorry if this has already been mentioned, but...
I love the Harlan Coben books, especially the "Myron" (a character) books. They have sports backdrops but it didn't bother me (a non-sports fan). The characters are funny and all of the books are an easy read.

I also just finished "Sarah's Key". It is set in WWII and not for everyone but I LOVED it.

trekygirl26
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM

I'll derfinitely give a shout out for the HP books! I am just starting to re-read the Deathly Hallows for about the 6th time. I absolutely hated reading until i read these books. They got me to enjoy reading again. They are very well written, have a great story line, and are a lot of fun to read. The first three are somewhat of an easy read, but the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are a bit harder being the're 600-800 pages long, but it is well worth it! JK Rowling is an amazing authur and you will be amazed at how well she writes and how she ties events together from the first book to the last. I just can't say enough about these books.

llsstt11
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
the Maximum Ride series by James Paterson are fantastic- they are supposed to be for teens but every adult LOVES them- there not to long and not to short but make sure to bring all four because they leaving you hanging at the end and you don/t want to spend your hole cruise wondering whats going to happen next- you could probably get away with bringing the first three the fourth one is kind of an after thought
if you chose not to bring thses on the curise i would consider reading these any way

Johnna_Story
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone!

I have many ideas now, not only for my trip, but for months afterwards!!

I did get the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (since that's also what my bookclub decided to read this month); and two of the lastet murder mysteries by Linda Fairstein. I had forgotten that I had read her whole series two years ago (a few on the cruise that year) and there are two paperbacks that have come out since then. Also a new release in hardcover this month I believe. Linda Fairstein was the DA in New York City who started the $ex crimes division in the early 80's. Her first big case was the "Preppy Murder Case" in NYC - Robert Chambers was convicted.

Anyway - for you murder mystery fans, that's my recommendation. All of her books revolve around the character of Alex Cooper - a character very much like the author I believe.

Thanks for all the ideas - I've read many of your suggestions (LOVED Time Traveler's Wife, HP series, Phillipa Gregory, Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark), and will put many of the rest of them on my "to read" list.

Amazing the information you can get from the DIS! :banana:

bsusanmb
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Dorothea Benton Frank has a series of books she has written on the Low Country, Pawley's Island, SC. They are just great. They are light reading, and she has a great writing style. I was so surprised at the end of the first book I read....if you have ever been to Myrtle Beach, Charleston and inbetween, so much of the book brings back such memories. She also will reflect back into the 50's and 60's, things like Noxema, baby oil and iodine, orange juice cans for hair rollers....just delightful.