PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie with lots of questions

PrincessShmoo
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi! Iíve been reading a lot of threads in the last week! Iím new and I have many comments and questions. First, my DH and I have only been on one cruise (Disney), but we (read me) were definitely hooked by the third day out! We took the 15 day WB Panama Canal repo May í08 and LOVED!!!! it. Everybody that we had talked to beforehand was a bit skeptical about starting with such a long cruise for our first one, but we went for it anyway.

So here goes: several comments and questions:

1. re: dining companions Ė there werenít many children on our cruise so we were seated with three other couples about our age group (50ish). We couldnít have chosen more perfect dining companions if we had held interviews for the position. We all ate together every night except each couple took one night for dinner at Palo. I assume we all were happy with each other since thatís 15 nights of the same people to chat with over dinner. We also crossed paths with several of them at other meals on board and asked to be seated with them.

2. John Cunningham Ė he was our head server and I thought he did a great job. Iím sorry we wonít be seeing him again. Our main server and assistant were wonderful, also. I loved it that I didnít have to explain to the server every night what I was drinking!

3. Where is the porthole on Deck 4 to see into the AP galley?

4. We have already made reservations for the WB TA repo Sep í10. We didnít get much of an OBC. Whatís the deal about transferring your reservation and getting additional OBCs?

5. Will we have time in Barcelona after landing and before boarding the ship to see anything in Barcelona?

6. We have plane connections from LAX to Barcelona and then from MCO to LAX. We are meeting family when we arrive in Florida after the repro and have been told by DCL that we cannot cancel the MCO to LAX leg of the trip. Does that sound right? We were able to do only one leg on the Panama Canal trip (LAX to MCO).

7. I hope to meet up with some of the others going on our next cruise beforehand, but weíll see.

8. Can you put stuff in other peopleís fish extenders even if you havenít made contact with them beforehand? (If you see on the ďwhoís on the cruise with usĒ place that they have kids and you want to give them a little surprise?)(We arenít traveling with kids.)

ebony
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I cant really answer many of your questions, because I have only done 1 cruise, a 7 day western on the magic last april.

I am on the westbound cruise with my Dh with no children.

Under the cruise meets section, there is a very active thread for this cruise. It goes at a fast pace, so I do find it hard to catch up with, as I dont have much time at the moment.
It seems that there are cruisers from the panama crossing on the cruise as well. Drop by you might know someone. :)

With regards to getting credits for onboard, you can switch your ressie to a travel agent ( ie Dreams or a few others) and they will award you shipboard credits, amount depending on your cabin category.

When you join up on the meeet threads, you can sign up to take part in the fish extenders.

I too would love to meet someone before the westbound cruise. I am at WDW this Sept and also going on the eastern cruise then as well.

Hope I havent gone too much and this has helped a little.

gismo1554
02-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Looks like well be sailing together! There's a really good thread going on for the cruise:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2022670&page=150

So here goes: several comments and questions:

1. re: dining companions Ė there werenít many children on our cruise so we were seated with three other couples about our age group (50ish). We couldnít have chosen more perfect dining companions if we had held interviews for the position. We all ate together every night except each couple took one night for dinner at Palo. I assume we all were happy with each other since thatís 15 nights of the same people to chat with over dinner. We also crossed paths with several of them at other meals on board and asked to be seated with them

Sounds like you met some great people.

2. John Cunningham Ė he was our head server and I thought he did a great job. Iím sorry we wonít be seeing him again. Our main server and assistant were wonderful, also. I loved it that I didnít have to explain to the server every night what I was drinking!

Before the cruise you can request a server so you could always ask to be with him again on the next one!

3. Where is the porthole on Deck 4 to see into the AP galley?
Oh is there one?

4. We have already made reservations for the WB TA repo Sep í10. We didnít get much of an OBC. Whatís the deal about transferring your reservation and getting additional OBCs?

I've never done this so not sure.

5. Will we have time in Barcelona after landing and before boarding the ship to see anything in Barcelona?

There is lots to see in Barcelona. I did the TA's in 2007 and saw a bit of the city then. Las Rambles is a nice area to walk around (careful though of pick pockets) and shop. There is also a church (I think its calle La Sant Familia or something like that) that is still under construction after 200 years of being built and the architecture looks fantastic! I'm going there before the cruise as I missed it last time. There are also areas such as the Gaudi museums. For the last TA Disney offered some nice tours of Barcelona. I'm not sure whether they will do again but my parents did a city tour (saw the church above and some other sites) as well as going to the Cordoniu Cellars to look at how they make their cava and purchase some. Also we did the bus transfers from the airport to the cruise last time and on this we actually had a city tour for free included. Again not sure what Disney will do this time as last time we had a night on the boat in Barcelona so it was slightly different to the set up this time.

6. We have plane connections from LAX to Barcelona and then from MCO to LAX. We are meeting family when we arrive in Florida after the repro and have been told by DCL that we cannot cancel the MCO to LAX leg of the trip. Does that sound right? We were able to do only one leg on the Panama Canal trip (LAX to MCO).

That probably is right. Once they book it they would probably need to cancel the entire flight. It's a bit different with international flights so not 100% sure as never done travel through DCL.

7. I hope to meet up with some of the others going on our next cruise beforehand, but weíll see.

On the thread I think there are a couple of meets arranged already. Being over in the UK I don't think Ill be attending (although I may win the lottery tomorrow so who knows lol)

8. Can you put stuff in other peopleís fish extenders even if you havenít made contact with them beforehand? (If you see on the ďwhoís on the cruise with usĒ place that they have kids and you want to give them a little surprise?)(We arenít traveling with kids.)

Yes you can. We're doing a list over on the thread of all the people bringing Fish Extenders and whether they've got kids. The idea being that you can bring gifts for each other etc. Come on over and have a look. The first page of the thread has a link to the website and info on how to sign up for things such as lanyards. Anyway look foreward to seeing you over there

Sarah

gismo1554
02-13-2009, 03:08 AM
I too would love to meet someone before the westbound cruise. I am at WDW this Sept and also going on the eastern cruise then as well.

Hope I havent gone too much and this has helped a little.

Hey

Have you checked post 1 on the thread recently? I think there may be a WDW meet sometime in September (cant remember for sure as didn't pay that much attention as can't attend). Also might be worth posting over there to see if anyone will be around then anyway. You might find someone out there who will be there and wants to meet up. I'd love to but as said no Disney for me this year :confused3

ruadisneyfan2
02-13-2009, 08:22 AM
4. We have already made reservations for the WB TA repo Sep ’10. We didn’t get much of an OBC. What’s the deal about transferring your reservation and getting additional OBCs?

It sounds like discussion about if you rebooked another cruise while still on the ship, you get 10% off + an OBC of either $100 (3/4 days) or $200 (7 + days) from DCL just for rebooking onboard.
People would then transfer their ressie once they get home to a TA who can add more OBC just by booking with her/him.

DCL has recently reduced the commission to TAs for transferred bookings vs. the TA making the original ressie. My TA said that to get the best OBC from her, I should give her name to the onboard booking agent while on the ship and it would be recognized not as a transfer but direct thru the TA.

For our last cruise and next 2 we got $200 OBC from DCL and $200 OBC from our TA for total of $400 to spend each cruise, all 7 nt cruises.
You may get more from your TA since the OBC is based on total cost of cruise.

PrincessShmoo
02-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Just trying a bump.

Disney1976
02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I can't really answer your questions, OP, but just wanted to say I'm on that cruise too (just me-I'll be 34(!) at the time) and look forward to maybe seeing you!

dmxwidget
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I have had John multiple times as a head server and as our server. he does a great job and was always great to us. We loved having him. We have actually gotten to know quite a few of the servers on board and regularly ask for them when we get the chance.