PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Prices

JsMom2
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
If you're balking at DCL's Baltic prices, NCL has a much more reasonable alternative. I've never been on the Norwegian Jewel, but DD10 and I were on the Norwegian Jade to the Western Med in December and she LOVED the kids club.

No, they are not Disney, but in the Baltics you won't have much time to notice. For the price of a DCL Baltic cruise, you can take an NCL cruise to the Baltics AND a DCL cruise to the Caribbean, or use the money to upgrade to Business Class on your flights to make your vacation start out smoother.

Prices below are for 2 people cruise only (no transfers or insurance):

DCL Cat 11 Inside - $7743 vs NCL Any Inside - $3536

DCL Cat 9 Outside - $8883 vs NCL Any Outside - $4136

DCL Cat 6 Balcony - $10,943 vs NCL Any Balcony - $4936

luv that cruise
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
we are having the same thoughts on the baltic...

5 of us in 2 DCL rooms, cat 6 and cat 11 is... are you sitting down - 21K (i have a reservation, booked on first day available, double checked this price before i posted this)

5 of us in an A3 suite on NCL is about 13K (they don't include taxes and fees in their online pricing so I have to guess - i don't have a reservation)

Same #nights, many of the same ports (but haven't looked close enough to know exact comparison).

A3 has 2 bedrooms, living, dining areas plus access to private courtyard, pool, private deck, private breakfast and lunch venues, plus concierge and butler. We are trying the Pearl in Alaska this summer and if all goes well may cancel with DCL for the baltics.

NCL is definitely not rated as high as DCL in service and lots of people complain that they nickle & dime you, charging for things like softs drinks and juice. So buyer beware and do your homework.

kaseyC
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
we are having the same thoughts on the baltic...

5 of us in 2 DCL rooms, cat 6 and cat 11 is... are you sitting down - 21K (i have a reservation, booked on first day available, double checked this price before i posted this)

5 of us in an A3 suite on NCL is about 13K (they don't include taxes and fees in their online pricing so I have to guess - i don't have a reservation)

Same #nights, many of the same ports (but haven't looked close enough to know exact comparison).

A3 has 2 bedrooms, living, dining areas plus access to private courtyard, pool, private deck, private breakfast and lunch venues, plus concierge and butler. We are trying the Pearl in Alaska this summer and if all goes well may cancel with DCL for the baltics.

NCL is definitely not rated as high as DCL in service and lots of people complain that they nickle & dime you, charging for things like softs drinks and juice. So buyer beware and do your homework.

Like you we are booked on one of the DCL European cruises, we are waiting for many of the other cruiselines to release their 2010 itineraries. NCL is one we are considering since DH and I had a very positive experience sailing with them.

DH and I sailed the NCL Jewel in the Med in 2006. We were in one of the Courtyard Villas (an A4 1bdrm) and we had a wonderful cruise. We have also sailed DCL a number of times in suites and IMO, the Suite perks and service from the Concierge and the Butler was much better than the concierge service on DCL.

The whole courtyard experience was like being on a small intimate ship (within a ship). From the private access to deck 14 and the courtyard, sundeck and pool, reserved seating in the theatre and breakfast and lunch in Cagney's (one of the specialty restaurants - no extra charge for Suite guests). As a suite guest the concierge made all of our dining reservations for the length of the cruise and we also had the option of dining ensuite from any of the restaurants on board, served course by course by the Butler.

We were spoiled and I would not hestate to book a suite with them again.

xangav
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I just looked at this as well because I just booked the Baltic cruise with Disney then started reading the cruise meet thread. A few people have jumped ship already.

I looked at NCL and I can book a Penthouse suite for 4, for the exact same cruise itinerary (including Helsinki and Estonia) for less than a cat 11 on DCL.

I booked DCL because we sailed with RCL last summer for an Alaskan cruise and were less than impressed, swore we would rather sail with the mouse every few years than more often with someone else. Oh, the dilemmas.

I guess we should be glad we can even consider options.

kaseyC
02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

It is a little over 13K w/taxes and fees for a family of 5 in an A3 for the 12 Night Baltic cruise on the NCL Jewel -through NCL's website.

Looking at a few online TAs, it can be booked for even less, about 11K. So doing your homework and shopping around is very important. :)

shoes99
02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
We are also going to look at Princess when the 2010 rates come out.

JsMom2
02-12-2009, 02:50 PM

We did a 10 nt Baltic on the Crown last June/July, and DD10 loved the kids club and the Movies Under the Stars. She was also thrilled that the Dance Captain gave anyone interested a backstage tour of the Production show. Something DCL reserves for adults.

We thought the Princess entertainment was as good as Disney!

We paid a little over $5,000 for 2 of us in a mini-suite - about the size of a Cat 4 on Disney, but only 1 bathroom. Although you do get 2 TVs!

NancyIL
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I want to go to Europe with my 2 adult daughters in 2010, but there's no way I'd ever pay DCL's overinflated prices for anything except the Transatlantics. I hope a lot of people will rethink their bookings with DCL - especially on the Baltic cruises that START at $3649/pp!

tammymacb
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Well you all, this posting made me look at the Gem. I can get a mini suite for considerably less than a Cat 11....

I hadn't booked yet. I keep watching and waiting for a price drop. I may just book another cruise line instead.

So far we've sailed NCL, RCCL, CCL and Disney. DD actually liked Disney 3rd in ranking of kids entertainment. The one cruise we took on NCL was a stinker, but a very old boat and very bad weather...

The Gem is a brand new boat....I'll be checking out Cruise Critic.:wizard:

JsMom2
02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
It all comes down to why you want to go to the Baltics. If the main draw is the destination then the cruise ship simply becomes your floating hotel. As long as you only have to unpack once, have meals available 24/7 and childcare when you need it what else do you really need?:confused3 Based upon my last experience with NCL, I'm pretty confident we'd have a great time on the Gem. But if not, at those prices, who cares? We did the Baltics last summer on the Crown Princess and I barely had any time to enjoy that beautiful ship.

When we did the Magic 11 Day Med trip we were so exhausted we booked a 7day Caribbean on the Magic to recover!

I know everyone needs to do whats best for their family, but I just think its silly to pay that much for a Disney Baltic cruise when you could do a Baltic cruise on another line AND a Disney cruise for the same amount (if not less).

kaseyC
02-13-2009, 05:36 AM

We are waiting for Celebrity to release their 2010 European itineraries. We want an Eastern Med or Baltics. It looks like they will be announced in early March. We are very interested in the 3 new ships- Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse. According to cruise critic the Eclipse's home port will be Southhampton but no info on the itinerary.

sbell111
02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
We'll stick with the Disney cruise. The extra cost is worth it given that we absolutely know that we'll be happy.

NancyIL
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I always book the cheap cabins, so here goes. The June 28 12-night NCL Jewel costs $3854.12 for 3 people in an inside cabin (143 sq. ft.). The June 24 12-night Disney Magic costs $8835.16 for 3 people in a cat. 11 (184 sq. ft.). The $4981.04 price difference would easily pay for 3 airfares to London as well as some excursions. Let me think...a larger inside cabin on DCL vs. my whole trip paid for on NCL? ;)

sbell111
02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I always book the cheap cabins, so here goes. The June 28 12-night NCL Jewel costs $3854.12 for 3 people in an inside cabin (143 sq. ft.). The June 24 12-night Disney Magic costs $8835.16 for 3 people in a cat. 11 (184 sq. ft.). The $4981.04 price difference would easily pay for 3 airfares to London as well as some excursions. Let me think...a larger inside cabin on DCL vs. my whole trip paid for on NCL? ;)So take the NCL trip. No one is trying to talk you into doing anything you don't want to do.

I merely posted that we will pay extra for the sure deal. My decision does play into your dedcision any more than yours plays into mine.

NancyIL
02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
So take the NCL trip. No one is trying to talk you into doing anything you don't want to do.

I merely posted that we will pay extra for the sure deal. My decision does play into your dedcision any more than yours plays into mine.
I have never felt the slightest inclination towards booking any of DCL's Europe itineraries, except for the EB Transatlantic. Although that is a well-priced cruise, the itinerary doesn't do much for me.

There are a number of variations on northern Europe cruise itineraries. NCL Jewel's is quite similar to DCL's - except it goes to both Helsinki and Talinn, whereas DCL goes to one or the other plus Oslo. When Royal Caribbean releases their 2010 Europe itineraries next month, I expect Jewel of the Seas will have a similar Baltic itinerary. Holland America and Princess tend to go to less well-known ports as well as those more accessible to smaller ships. I don't know which itinerary we will choose, but based on current prices, it will definitely NOT be on DCL.

I have no doubt that DCL will do a great job in Europe in 2010, but at what point do diehard DCL fans say "enough is enough" when it comes to the exorbitant prices?

carmie3377
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm glad I found this thread. We've talked about the Baltic Cruise but haven't looked too much into as we first want to make sure we enjoy cruising (planning to take the Dec 5 7 night Eastern cruise through DCL). I decided to look up prices for my party size and can't believe the difference.

DCL
June 12, 2010
12-Night Northern European Capitals
Cat 11 184 sq feet inside state room
$11,702.88 for 2 adults, 2 children ages 4, 11

NCL
June 16, 2010
12-Day Baltic Capitals Round-trip London
Cat AF 285 sq feet state room with Balcony
$5616 for 2 adults, 2 children ages 4, 11

So, for less than half the price of a Cat 11 through Disney, I could get a balcony and 100 more square feet with NCL.

I would be disappointed that NCL doesn't stop in Oslo as DH's ancestors are from Norway but we want to eventually take at least a week long trip to just Norway so we could pass it up this time.

sbell111
02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I wonder how comparable the two cruise lines are.

I loved the DCL med cruise that we took a few years ago, so I am comfident that we will love the DCL capitals cruise. I have no experience with NCL, so I did a google search and turned up some pretty horrid complaints. If there is any truth to these, I simply can't afford to risk NCL, even with the cost savings.

<edited to add that I just spoke to my wife on the phone and she agreed that the savings aren't worth the risk.>

kaseyC
02-13-2009, 01:29 PM

I loved the DCL med cruise that we took a few years ago, so I am comfident that we will love the DCL capitals cruise. I have no experience with NCL, so I did a google search and turned up some pretty horrid complaints. If there is any truth to these, I simply can't afford to risk NCL, even with the cost savings.

<edited to add that I just spoke to my wife on the phone and she agreed that the savings aren't worth the risk.>

You know that can be said for any cruiseline. Google DCL and you can also find some horrid reviews. But also to be fair, DCL has two ships and has been in service for about 10 years. Other mainstream cruiselines have many more ships and have been in the business much longer. So, of course you may find more bad reviews.

I've sailed most of the mainstream cruiselines as well as one of the ultra-luxury lines and honestly, I have never had a bad cruise. I've liked each one for different reasons. I've found that even different ships within the same cruiseline can provide a different experience.

Truly, what others choose to do or who they choose to sail with has no bearing on my life or my experiences.;) I didn't see this thread as way to convince others to abandon Disney. IMO, I felt Jsmom started it as a discussion of other options out there for those who may be on the fence and/or uncomfortable with the DCL rates but still may want the opportunity to cruise Europe.

NancyIL
02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
You know that can be said for any cruiseline. Google DCL and you can also find some horrid reviews. But also to be fair, DCL has two ships and has been in service for about 10 years. Other mainstream cruiselines have many more ships and have been in the business much longer. So, of course you may find more bad reviews.

I've sailed most of the mainstream cruiselines as well as one of the ultra-luxury lines and honestly, I have never had a bad cruise. I've liked each one for different reasons. I've found that even different ships within the same cruiseline can provide a different experience.

Truly, what others choose to do or who they choose to sail with has no bearing on my life or my experiences.;) I didn't see this thread as way to convince others to abandon Disney. IMO, I felt Jsmom started it as a discussion of other options out there for those who may be on the fence and/or uncomfortable with the DCL rates but still may want the opportunity to cruise Europe.

Well said. NCL is the only mass market cruise line that has their 2010 Europe itineraries and prices available for comparison with DCL. When other cruise lines become available to book in a few months, some will no doubt cost more than NCL. But I don't foresee any being as high as DCL until you get to the luxury cruise lines.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
you know- I think we're at the point that "enough is enough" on the expensive baltic cruises. We already switched our 10nt baltic cruise to another cruise. the difference is that we want to cruise DCL (don't know if we'll ever cruise another line- maybe someday...) so instead we're just going to WDW for a week PLUS a 7nt DCL western cruise (May 30th- one of the discounted ones) and all that this 2wk entails TOTAL ends up still about 1/3 the cost of the baltic 10nt. That savings, plus the fact the baltic is very port intensive and who knows if we'd have the money to do anything in all those ports- plus we'd love to go to those places but the kids might not enjoy them as much as us... was a no brainer for us to switch. We're still doing the TA though- it wasn't nearly as expensive. LOL

I just couldn't bring myself to pay THAT much for the 10nt baltic cruise. I just couldn't.

stingmom
02-13-2009, 05:57 PM
we :love: to cruise DCL, but even with the booking on board discount, it costs waaay to much $$$. When we finally decide to cruise Europe, too bad it won't be with Disney. Not to mention the expense of airfare on top of that. We could book another line and pay for flights and still come out paying less than the Disney cruise. I hope they make some changes!!

JsMom2
02-14-2009, 03:55 AM

Exactly!:thumbsup2

I think it's important for folks to make an informed decision. Right now from what I've read, it seems that the only folks willing to pay these exorbitant prices are those who have never tried another line.

Also, I know that for some people this will be their first time cruising Europe. Europe cruises are in a different category than Caribbean cruises. When we cruise the Caribbean we really don't care if we get off the ship or not. But in Europe you'll shortchange yourself if you don't take advantage of the fascinating historical sites. The days ashore can be long and exhausting, as you want to see as much as possible. The ship really becomes more of a floating hotel. When we did the Disney 11-nt Med we only made it to the dining room 4 times for Early Seating! Other lines offer more flexible dining times in addition to the traditional dining. The Anytime Dining allows you to make a reservation for the time YOU want to eat. What I especially love is that I can book a table for 2 for just DD and me when we want to just get in, eat, and get out.

We've all seen the posts by people who've made sacrifices to take their family on a Disney cruise because they wanted a "perfect vacation". And then they are bitterly disappointed when something goes wrong (illness, missed port, kids didn't like the counselors in the club, too many kids running around, rude people in the dining room). In Europe you can add train and bus strikes too! We all know that travel is an adventure, and anything can happen - especially when traveling with kids! It'd just break my heart to hear of someone paying these exorbitant prices because they want to "guarantee" a good time, only to have something unforeseen happen. It just doesn't seem logical to me to pay this much when you could book the Baltics on another line, and pay for a Disney cruise later in the year for the same price. So I just think that folks who are paying so much money should be aware that there ARE other options.

kaseyC
02-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Below are when the some of the other cruiselines are expected to release their 2010 European Itineraries. I found this from browsing Cruise Critic.

Celebrity - 3/10/09
RCCL - 3/12/2009
Princess - March/April 09

gydell
02-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Exactly!:thumbsup2

I think it's important for folks to make an informed decision. Right now from what I've read, it seems that the only folks willing to pay these exorbitant prices are those who have never tried another line.

Also, I know that for some people this will be their first time cruising Europe. Europe cruises are in a different category than Caribbean cruises. When we cruise the Caribbean we really don't care if we get off the ship or not. But in Europe you'll shortchange yourself if you don't take advantage of the fascinating historical sites. The days ashore can be long and exhausting, as you want to see as much as possible. The ship really becomes more of a floating hotel. When we did the Disney 11-nt Med we only made it to the dining room 4 times for Early Seating! Other lines offer more flexible dining times in addition to the traditional dining. The Anytime Dining allows you to make a reservation for the time YOU want to eat. What I especially love is that I can book a table for 2 for just DD and me when we want to just get in, eat, and get out.

We've all seen the posts by people who've made sacrifices to take their family on a Disney cruise because they wanted a "perfect vacation". And then they are bitterly disappointed when something goes wrong (illness, missed port, kids didn't like the counselors in the club, too many kids running around, rude people in the dining room). In Europe you can add train and bus strikes too! We all know that travel is an adventure, and anything can happen - especially when traveling with kids! It'd just break my heart to hear of someone paying these exorbitant prices because they want to "guarantee" a good time, only to have something unforeseen happen. It just doesn't seem logical to me to pay this much when you could book the Baltics on another line, and pay for a Disney cruise later in the year for the same price. So I just think that folks who are paying so much money should be aware that there ARE other options.

I have cruised RCCL, Ncl and Carnival before. They all have good points about them and if we were not taking an 8yo with us then we would not be doing DCL to the Baltics. That being said the other cruise lines have shows that I would not let my child see and with the gambling there has always seemed to be more of the drinking and smoking going on. Dcl has a family feel to it that other cruise lines don't have IMO. RCL will be cruised in a couple of years agin because I know that the rock climbing and the other extras will be attractive to a kid, but it will be a Carribean cruise. I am not chancing a once in a lifetime cruise to a maybe so we will go with what we know is good for our family. Everyone has to do what is right for them and if we have to do without a couple of other trips to make this happen then so be it. I hope everyone that does a Baltic cruise, no matter what cruise line, has a great time!

LisaWalkerC21
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I feel the same way as gydell in the last post. We will be traveling with our 7 and 9 year old boys to Europe with DCL. My husband and I have traveled on several of the other cruiselines along with DCL so we have the ability to compare. We feel DCL is the best choice for "our family" for this particular trip. Everyone has different requirements when vacationing along with budget and we are all lucky to have so many choices when picking out a cruise vacation. I am very much looking forward to cruising with DCL to Europe, and of course I wish it was less money and secretly hope the price may be adjusted in the future - wishful thinking, but we are very happy with our decision. :thumbsup2

gydell
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I feel the same way as gydell in the last post. We will be traveling with our 7 and 9 year old boys to Europe with DCL. My husband and I have traveled on several of the other cruiselines along with DCL so we have the ability to compare. We feel DCL is the best choice for "our family" for this particular trip. Everyone has different requirements when vacationing along with budget and we are all lucky to have so many choices when picking out a cruise vacation. I am very much looking forward to cruising with DCL to Europe, and of course I wish it was less money and secretly hope the price may be adjusted in the future - wishful thinking, but we are very happy with our decision. :thumbsup2

Which cruise are you doing?

slg
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Its tempting to try another cruise line for a cheaper price, but with my family of 3 boys, we love DCL for its shows and its kids clubs. Yes, the baltic is cruise intensive, but it does have 4 days at sea, and some of the ports have sail a way times of 4:30 or 5:30. So I feel there will be plenty of time to be on board enjoying the boat. And while I am enjoying the boat with my family, I appreciate the family atmosphere, clean entertainment, fabulous kids clubs and wonderful service. And for our family, its worth paying the premium to be on a boat that doesn't have gambling on it. I realize that the gambling is usually far away from kid's clubs etc, but however you look at it, it will still be there.

And DCL pretty much guarantees that there will be lots of families with kids on board, something we really, really want. A friend of mine went on a Princess Cruise last year to Alaska and she said there were about 20 kids on board. That is not what we want. All of our kids have made great friends, and part of the experience is going on shore excursions with lots of 40 somethings with lots of kids.

When our children are older we will consider going on other lines, but for the time being, DCL fits us just perfectly and we think the extra cost is worth it for us.:)

That being said, we are not doing any DCL pre/post stays as they are ridiculous! For a family of 5, the cost for one night was about $1600! We booked our own hotel at about $200 a night and are doing our own transfers. Plus we are going to stay in London for a week after and stay in B&B's. So we're going to do the other stuff on the cheap so we can afford the Baltic cost.

LisaWalkerC21
02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Gydell we have actually booked the 11 night Mediterranean for August 7, 2010. Even though we have tentatively booked the airfare and pre-night through DCL, I plan on trying to book those myself to get a better deal. I was shocked at the cost of the air and hotel for a family of 4. Both this site and others have given me a lot of great tips to try and make the trip more cost effective. I have also already looked into private tours and will see who wants to join in! I am working hard to save the money for the trip so we can enjoy every minute and not stress about how much $$ is being spent.

TammyAlphabet
02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I am booked with DCL also. I realize that other cruiselines have cheaper prices and the only one that I would consider is RCL. I went to Hawaii on Celebrity over Christmas with my DS and DD. DS had a great time but DD did not have chicken nuggets or macaroni and cheese for two weeks. It is a small thing, but over a long period of time, she got tired of steak and ice cream, which is what she ate most of the time. She is a picky eater.

LisaWalkerC21
02-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I have picky eaters too...so I absolutely understand! With DCL you know that there will be plenty of activities, food and entertainment geared towards younger children...when the kids are happy...the parents are happy :banana: I understand that Europe will be pretty intense for young children so I want to do the best I can to balance the trip so it is fun for all. Having cruised with DCL twice before, I am confident that my kids will be happy. I felt that RCL activities would not suit my age children at this time, though we will look into it when my boys are older for sure.

Skallywag
02-15-2009, 10:13 AM
We are booked on the Disney 12 night Baltic in 2010 particularly as this leaves such a short distance from our home. Saying that other lines to also and if they are cheaper and equal quality which I believe they are will have no hesitation in cancelling with Disney.

Our last cruise with them was in december 2008 and even our adult daughters said the food standard was not as good as they had received previously and we have to agree.

NancyIL
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I just put NCL Jewel's 12-night Baltic cruise for June/July 2010 on hold. I asked my oldest daughter (24) if she was interested in DCL's eastbound Transatlantic. She was interested, but not excited about 6 sea days in a row. Then I showed her the itinerary on NCL Jewel, and she liked that a lot better.

Here is Cruise Critic's review of NCL Jewel: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=350

ITINERARY

Day Port Arrive Depart
Mon London (Dover) - 4:00 PM
Tue At Sea - -
Wed Copenhagen 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
Thu Berlin (Warnemuende) 7:30 AM 10:00 PM
Fri At Sea - -
Sat Tallinn 9:00 AM 5:30 PM
Sun St. Petersburg 8:00 AM Overnight
Mon - 7:00 PM
Tue Helsinki 8:00 AM 5:30 PM
Wed Stockholm (Nynashamn) 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
Thu At Sea - -
Fri At Sea - -
Sat London (Dover) 5:00 AM -

tammymacb
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Though I'm not booking the Baltics, I thought I'd add my research to the pot.

I was dying to do the Med and was online the day that the cruises were released. I thought the prices were ridiculous. So ridiculous I didn't even hold one. I'd wanted a decent room since we'd be sailing for 11 nights ( DH, myself and DD 13) When I saw the prices, I decided that a Cat 11 would be all I'd spring for.

Price for cat 11- 11 night Aug sailing = 8700 no transfers or airfare.

Priced the Norwegian Gem ( NCLs newest ship ) booking back to back 7 night cruises. Cruise 1 going to the Mediterranean islands, cruise 2 doing Greece and Turkey. Mini Suite cabin.

Prices for 2 cruises = 5200 minus 400 shipboard credit. ( 14 nights folks :cool1: ) Guess which one I picked?

mishoe01
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I must say that I jumped ship for this itinerary - I'm doing the Jewel this year - the 1st one of the season.

I had booked the 1st DCL one but even w/ a roommate I wouldn't have been able to swing the $. I'm paying just about $2000 less than my 1/2 of a cat 11. That translates to another trip for me. I would love to stay w/ DCL as I have friends on that cruise, and who knows if great deals come out I may do it again but especially for this port intensive itinerary I'm ok w/ not being on the Magic (I'll be there in Sept anyways)

Rogillio
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
We are currently booked on the maiden Baltic cruise and I read this thread with total unbelief! I couldn't believe that other cruise lines were actually THAT much cheaper.

So I did my own comparison with NCL and compared for our family of 4 in the Cat 4 room we have booked on DCL with a Penthouse Suite on NCL. Same cruise length and almost the same ports. The difference is NCL is $5,500 cheaper and we'd get an additional 224 sqft on NCL.

We have said 5 times on DCL and one time on NCL so we know something of the two cruise lines albeit more about DCL.

CONCLUSION

I've studied the numbers and I've compared NCL and DCL prices and rooms and, while it doesn't seem to make sense, we are gonna stay with DCL!! Call it gut instinct or call it 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!'. We sailed on NCL and we did not like NCL. We've enjoyed every one of our DCL cruises!

Why are we gonna stay with DCL? Let me try to explain:

1. I like the Disney experience and love the Disney quality. Everything on DCL is top shelf.

2. NCL's Fee-style dinning. I really hated the hodge-podge dinning and never getting to know our servers on NCL. I like getting to know our servers on DCL and our servers getting to know us. There was none of this on NCL as we had different servers every night - and this is a 12 night cruise. I also didn't like having to wait 45 minutes + just to get seated for dinner! And I did not like having to pay extra to eat at 1/2 of the restaurants on NCL.

3. I like the family atmosphere on DCL and I like the demographics of the cruisers. i.e. families

4. To me it comes down to about $5k difference and a little bit smaller room. I can tolerate the smaller room because I like the rest of the ship.

5. The DCL does a much better job of ship maintenance. Everything is clean and looks new. We did NOT see this on NCL.

6. We've cruised DCL enough now that coming back to the ship feels like 'coming home'.

7. We felt 'nickled and dimed' to death on NCL. We had to pay for every Coke! Even had to pay for spin class at the gym. The tips were automatically added to our bills on NCL and you didn't know who you were tipping since you never had the same sever.

8. Disney's Magic is just a very cool looking ship!

I read a quote once, "I'd rather regret something I did than something I didn't do." I can see us on our first sea day on NCL thinking "Dang, I wish we had stayed with Disney!" But I just can't see us sailing with Disney and thinking "Gee, this room is too small, I wish we'd of sailed with NCL."

~Mike

NancyIL
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
We are currently booked on the maiden Baltic cruise and I read this thread with total unbelief! I couldn't believe that other cruise lines were actually THAT much cheaper.

So I did my own comparison with NCL and compared for our family of 4 in the Cat 4 room we have booked on DCL with a Penthouse Suite on NCL. Same cruise length and almost the same ports. The difference is NCL is $5,500 cheaper and we'd get an additional 224 sqft on NCL.

We have said 5 times on DCL and one time on NCL so we know something of the two cruise lines albeit more about DCL.

CONCLUSION

I've studied the numbers and I've compared NCL and DCL prices and rooms and, while it doesn't seem to make sense, we are gonna stay with DCL!! Call it gut instinct or call it 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!'. We sailed on NCL and we did not like NCL. We've enjoyed every one of our DCL cruises!

DCL is counting on a lot of people feeling as you do about the intangible "magic" of a Disney cruise! Some people want a luxury experience when they vacation. Others prefer to travel more often so they book less expensive trips. In the current economy - that's the only way some people can go anywhere. I cruise mainly to go somewhere, and I try to get the best value for my money. If I just want "the Disney cruise experience" - I'll do it on a cheaper Disney cruise that's closer to home. I did that in January 2008 on the 4-day Wonder. While it was a nice cruise, the experience wasn't significantly better than my previous non-Disney cruises to justify paying a much higher price. Fact is - when you pay a lot, you expect a lot. If we cruise with NCL - they can nickel and dime me all they want and it still won't add up to the price of a Disney Baltic cruise.

I should add that cruising with NCL isn't a done deal. I want to see what other cruise lines will offer in Europe before making a final decision. In the meantime - I have a fully cancellable reservation on NCL Jewel. The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing the Baltic cruise on Disney unless they offer a killer deal down the road.

sbell111
02-18-2009, 08:52 AM
DCL is counting on a lot of people feeling as you do about the intangible "magic" of a Disney cruise! ... The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing the Baltic cruise on Disney unless they offer a killer deal down the road.You've posted the very same thing something like fifteen times in the last week or so. I'm pretty sure that we all understand your poition by now. DCL ios bad, NCL is good. There is no need for you to keep telling us that you've sailed on DCL once and forever more will go a cheaper route.

Perhaps this forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107) would be a better fit for you.

mishoe01
02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
You've posted the very same thing something like fifteen times in the last week or so. I'm pretty sure that we all understand your poition by now. DCL ios bad, NCL is good. There is no need for you to keep telling us that you've sailed on DCL once and forever more will go a cheaper route.

Perhaps this forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107) would be a better fit for you.

I don't know about otherss, but I didn't get that "DCL is bad, NCL is good" from what the previous posting said.

I personally LOVE DCL - have sailed 4 times on them so far (including the Westbound Panama Canal cruise last year), and plan to continue sailing w/ DCL (have a 7nt booked for Sept) however the cost for the Baltic cruise is crazy IMO (and that is why I am doing NCL for these ports). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If DCL was even w/in $1000.00 of the NCL rate I would have considered paying more but $2000 for me is too much of a difference.

This itinerary for me is all about the ports - I knew I wanted to do the Baltics even before DCL decided to go there (so I had already started looking at other cruise lines & was already understanding that I wasn't going to get everything (including the Magic) on anyone else). I can tell you that if I did go w/ the original DCL res I had for the Baltics, I would have had to cancel my 7nt for this year (where I'm sailing w/ about 20 friends). I would much rather be able to do both (and still save $).

I am 1 of the people that love to travel - I try to do 1 nice trip per year, and while I'm not going to go camping or stay in hostels (not that there is anything wrong w/ them--just not for me) I do try to make my trips as economical as possible. If that means that I broaden my experiences by trying other cruiselines then that's fine w/ me but I do research to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

Rogillio
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM

I went back and read all the pros/cons in this thread and I think this best sums up how I feel. To me, it's just not worth the risk of going with another cruise line. Yeah, I can probably save easily $5k or $6K with another cruise line but it's a gamble...and I don't want to gamble our family vacation. We booked 20 months out and have been and will continue to dream about this vacation. It's gonna be hard for even DCL to live up to our dream expectations...and all but impossible for NCL to meet our dreams. :-)

~Mike

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 09:45 AM
You've posted the very same thing something like fifteen times in the last week or so. I'm pretty sure that we all understand your poition by now. DCL ios bad, NCL is good. There is no need for you to keep telling us that you've sailed on DCL once and forever more will go a cheaper route.

Get used to it, Steve, because I'm not going away! ;) I have NEVER said that "DCL is bad, NCL is good." I have said that I think DCL does a good job, and I can see why families with young kids love it so much. But as an adult who doesn't cruise with children - I don't think DCL is significantly superior to the other cruise lines I've been on to justify a much higher pricetag. I haven't cruised with NCL, but the prices for their Baltic cruise are what might get me to give them a try.

I would like to cruise with DCL again, but it won't be to Europe. There are plenty of loyal DCL fans who also won't pay what Disney is charging for its Europe 2010 cruises, so I am hardly the only person not willing spend that much money.

Rogillio
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
To say that there are people who won't pay that much to cruise DCL Baltics is like saying some people won't pay $400 a night to stay at the Grand Floridian at WDW....me for example.

Evidently there are enough people who WILL pay DCL prices as the ship seems to be pretty full. Contrast this to NCL with nearly all of the suites still available. Go figure.

~Mike

xangav
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM

CONCLUSION

Why are we gonna stay with DCL? Let me try to explain:

1. I like the Disney experience and love the Disney quality. Everything on DCL is top shelf.

2. NCL's Fee-style dinning. I really hated the hodge-podge dinning and never getting to know our servers on NCL. I like getting to know our servers on DCL and our servers getting to know us. There was none of this on NCL as we had different servers every night - and this is a 12 night cruise. I also didn't like having to wait 45 minutes + just to get seated for dinner! And I did not like having to pay extra to eat at 1/2 of the restaurants on NCL.

3. I like the family atmosphere on DCL and I like the demographics of the cruisers. i.e. families

4. To me it comes down to about $5k difference and a little bit smaller room. I can tolerate the smaller room because I like the rest of the ship.

5. The DCL does a much better job of ship maintenance. Everything is clean and looks new. We did NOT see this on NCL.

6. We've cruised DCL enough now that coming back to the ship feels like 'coming home'.

7. We felt 'nickled and dimed' to death on NCL. We had to pay for every Coke! Even had to pay for spin class at the gym. The tips were automatically added to our bills on NCL and you didn't know who you were tipping since you never had the same sever.

8. Disney's Magic is just a very cool looking ship!

I read a quote once, "I'd rather regret something I did than something I didn't do." I can see us on our first sea day on NCL thinking "Dang, I wish we had stayed with Disney!" But I just can't see us sailing with Disney and thinking "Gee, this room is too small, I wish we'd of sailed with NCL."

I couldn't have said it better because that is exactly what we did when we sailed with RCL this past summer. We went to Alaska which was stunning and we did as much as we could. We had a grand suite for less than what a DCL cat 4 cost sailing from LA. We have stayed in CAT 4's a couple of times and paid more than what the Baltic will cost. The only good thing about the RCL cruise was the cabin. I have a whole list of things on RCL that were sub par that I won't go over but we have no delusions about the "intangible magic", and we still prefer DCL.

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Evidently there are enough people who WILL pay DCL prices as the ship seems to be pretty full. Contrast this to NCL with nearly all of the suites still available. Go figure.

DCL's 2010 Europe itineraries have been available to book since October. I think NCL's just opened this month. NCL is the only other mass market cruise line that has their 2010 Europe itineraries available for booking. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity will release their 2010 Europe itineraries in mid-March, and Princess, Holland America, etc. should be about the same time or shortly thereafter.

If it's true that DCL's Baltic cruises are pretty full - I predict that situation won't stay the same once other cruise lines release their 2010 Europe itineraries. For those that stick with the MOUSE, there will always be some who just can't swing the final payment when it comes due. It's one thing to put down a $1200 deposit for 4 people now. Coming up with another $9366.88 (Cat. 11 on June 12 Baltic cruise) at the time of final payment is a lot harder - and that's for the least expensive cabin.

I have no doubt that those of you who go on DCL's Europe cruises in 2010 will have a wonderful time. But please don't assume that those of us who choose other cruise lines for Europe are having any less fun.

DVCconvert
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
posted by sbell111:

Perhaps this forum would be a better fit for you.

Time to switch to DeCaf ??

:lmao:

slg
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
My accomodations are the least important thing about my cruise. We have sailed cat. 11 twice, cat, 8 once and have booked a cat. 4 for the baltic.

Everyone has different priorities when they travel and those priorities can change depending on finances, economy etc. Having been to Europe many times in the past, I know its expensive. No matter what cruise line, it'll cost more than the caribbean.

The economy is making everyone rethink their choices. We were in Hawaii in December and all the 5 star hotels were suffering but the budget ones weren't. Those who travel, will, some may downgrade.

DCL is a premium line. The Wonder is #1 in Conde Nast Traveler. It will cost more, just like the Disneyland Hotel costs more than Hojo. Its unlikely that the cost will ever be the same as the cheaper cruise lines unless it decides to have a budget-minded cruise ship.

Yes DCL is expensive, yes I would love it to cost less. Especially as I'm a Canadian the exchange is killing us right now! But unless I'm willing to put up with a budget cruise, I expect that the prices will be higher than the other lines.

Will I travel the other lines? Perhaps when the kids are older. We went on an NCL cruise on our honeymoon and didn't know better so liked it. But after traveling DCL it'll be hard to go back. Especially for my kids who love it.

Rather than reducing the prices, DCL could do shipboard credits, which work out the same for the consumer, but DCL gets to keep more of the profit. Its a win/win for DCL I think as they can keep their base prices high so folks stay used to them but offer the OBC as incentives to book.

Couldn't hurt. Certainly as a matter of good faith, removing all oil surcharges immediately for those of us who have booked previously would go a long way to restoring good will.

sbell111
02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Get used to it, Steve, because I'm not going away! ;) ...It's perfectly fine if you believe that DCL is too costly and that you'd rather sail on another. It's even fine if you post this. I simply don't understand why you feel the need to post it over and over and over again.

You've made your point. People will read it. You need not keep posting it over and over and over again.

Rogillio
02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
DCL's 2010 Europe itineraries have been available to book since October. I think NCL's just opened this month. NCL is the only other mass market cruise line that has their 2010 Europe itineraries available for booking. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity will release their 2010 Europe itineraries in mid-March, and Princess, Holland America, etc. should be about the same time or shortly thereafter.

If it's true that DCL's Baltic cruises are pretty full - I predict that situation won't stay the same once other cruise lines release their 2010 Europe itineraries. For those that stick with the MOUSE, there will always be some who just can't swing the final payment when it comes due. It's one thing to put down a $1200 deposit for 4 people now. Coming up with another $9366.88 (Cat. 11 on June 12 Baltic cruise) at the time of final payment is a lot harder - and that's for the least expensive cabin.

I have no doubt that those of you who go on DCL's Europe cruises in 2010 will have a wonderful time. But please don't assume that those of us who choose other cruise lines for Europe are having any less fun.

I called DCL the first week the cruise opened and all the suites were booked! I got a Cat 4 GTY and wait-listed for Cat 3. And they have STILL booked and I'm told there are over 100 people on the waiting list for the Cat 3s.

DCL did not fill up so fast becuase there were people sitting around waiting for someone to cruise in the Baltic Sea. There have always been cruise ships that sailed the Baltics. DCL filled up becuase people wanted to sail DCL in the Baltics. The same is true for the Med cruise. There have always been Med cruises but it never even crossed our minds to take a Med cruise until DCL sailed the Med.

Just becuase Best Western has rooms for $34 a night in Kissimmee does not mean people are not gonna pay $400 a night to stay at a Disney hotel. It's not all about the coin.

~Mike

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I called DCL the first week the cruise opened and all the suites were booked! I got a Cat 4 GTY and wait-listed for Cat 3. And they have STILL booked and I'm told there are over 100 people on the waiting list for the Cat 3s.

DCL did not fill up so fast becuase there were people sitting around waiting for someone to cruise in the Baltic Sea. There have always been cruise ships that sailed the Baltics. DCL filled up becuase people wanted to sail DCL in the Baltics. The same is true for the Med cruise. There have always been Med cruises but it never even crossed our minds to take a Med cruise until DCL sailed the Med.

I'm not surprised that the suites are sold-out, as there are only 22 of them. There are 855 cabins in categories 4-12. Disney is offering a 20% discount and $400 onboard credit for several of the Med and Barcelona-Dover cruises (cat. 4-11) when booked onboard.

jilljill
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not surprised that the suites are sold-out, as there are only 22 of them. There are 855 cabins in categories 4-12. Disney is offering a 20% discount and $400 onboard credit for several of the Med and Barcelona-Dover cruises (cat. 4-11) when booked onboard.

I noticed you didn't say anything about the Baltics cruises having a larger onboard booking discount. I am on the 7/18 sailing and there are very few cabins that are left to book. Cats. 1-4 are sold out, cats. 5 & 6 are gty only, and the rest are extremely limited on this sailing.
The Baltics cruises are selling better since it's the first time DCL has sailed there and they are only offering 4 sailings, 2 on each itinerary.

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I noticed you didn't say anything about the Baltics cruises having a larger onboard booking discount. I am on the 7/18 sailing and there are very few cabins that are left to book. Cats. 1-4 are sold out, cats. 5 & 6 are gty only, and the rest are extremely limited on this sailing.
The Baltics cruises are selling better since it's the first time DCL has sailed there and they are only offering 4 sailings, 2 on each itinerary.

I didn't say anything because there are no DCL promotions for those cruises. Time will tell if people stay with DCL or decide they can't afford the cruise when it comes time to make the final payment.

lbgraves
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM

That is because the Baltic cruises are not included in the onboard booking offer.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2091533

Rogillio
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM

I didn't know there were that many rooms on the ship.

Just having a little fun:

877 rooms x say and average of 3 persons per room = 2631 people x an average of about $4000 pp = $10,000,000.

Wow! 10 million bucks!

:-)

~Mike

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
I didn't know there were that many rooms on the ship.

Just having a little fun:

877 rooms x say and average of 3 persons per room = 2631 people x an average of about $4000 pp = $10,000,000.

Wow! 10 million bucks!

:-)

~Mike

Good thing I'm a Disney stockholder! :teeth:

sbell111
02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
That's a shocking bit of info.

NancyIL
02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
That's a shocking bit of info.

Yessiree - I have to remember to cash my 35 cent dividend check one of these days! :lmao: I used to work for the MOUSE, too - at The Disney Store - until ours closed 3 years ago.

slg
02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know if the average is $4,000 pp. We're a family of 5 staying in cat.4 and we're only paying $15,335 for all 5 of us.

Also, with 900 crew members, port fees, gas prices, food, advertising, maintenance, I wonder what their overhead is.

Considering my ABD for 7 days is almost the cost of my 12 night cruise, I didn't think the prices were out of line for what we expect.

Rogillio
02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't know if the average is $4,000 pp. We're a family of 5 staying in cat.4 and we're only paying $15,335 for all 5 of us.

Also, with 900 crew members, port fees, gas prices, food, advertising, maintenance, I wonder what their overhead is.

Considering my ABD for 7 days is almost the cost of my 12 night cruise, I didn't think the prices were out of line for what we expect.

Can I asked what cruise this is on and how/where you booked? We are booked on the fist Baltic saling in a Cat 4 and it is costing us $15,500 and there are only 4 of us.

~Mike

slg
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
We booked on the first day the sailings went on sale. We had an OBD of 10% that we transferred from another cruise. DU did the booking for us.

We are sailing on July 6.

I think the difference in price would be the 10% off.

Also, did you book with DU? I have a $600 OBC from them, as well as a $200 OBC from DCL.

Rogillio
02-19-2009, 05:59 AM
We booked on the first day the sailings went on sale. We had an OBD of 10% that we transferred from another cruise. DU did the booking for us.

We are sailing on July 6.

I think the difference in price would be the 10% off.

Also, did you book with DU? I have a $600 OBC from them, as well as a $200 OBC from DCL.

Took me a moment to figure out DU. I was thinking "Oh, her darling uncle must be a travel agent" When you asked if my uncled book our trip, it occured to DU was something else. Diseny Unlimited. No, I have no imagination....I just went went to disneycruise.com and booked. $600 OBC is sweet! That would more than cover my wife's bingo losses! :-)

~Mike

slg
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I think you can transfer your booking to DU and get the $600 OBC still. You should check it out.