PDA

View Full Version : Parental Letter

mousetravel
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Has anyone been asked for a parental letter? I've been on other cruises and did not get asked for one. Me & DD have the same last name, so I don't think there would be any problem, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any issues with that.

JsMom2
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Has anyone been asked for a parental letter? I've been on other cruises and did not get asked for one. Me & DD have the same last name, so I don't think there would be any problem, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any issues with that.

I've taken DD on 13 cruises all around the world. The first time we were asked was last month when we departed Los Angeles for a one way trip thru the Canal to Ft Lauderdale.

I had a notarized letter from her father, so I simply produced it and the agent looked at it and gave it back to me.

I had similar letters when we sailed to Morocco and Russia, but was never asked. My letters usually say:

[My Name] has my permission to take our daughter, [DD's Name] on a cruise on [Ship] from [Dates From and To]. I understand that they will visit [All Ports of Call] but that the ship's itinerary could change at any time.

I also keep a copy of DD's birth certificate in my passport wallet (we do have different last names) as well as a copy of her shot records in case of emergency.

Have a great time on your cruise!

mkmommy
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I have travelled 4 times out of country with my dd's alone and once I was asked for a letter. I would never go out of country with out a notarized letter from my husband, it is not worth a ruined vacation in my mind.

mousetravel
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I would never go out of country with out a notarized letter from my husband, it is not worth a ruined vacation in my mind.

Here's my problem: There is no "father" to get permission from. The "father" is nowhere to be found. She's never seen him and he took off before I even had her. So to be on the safe side should I write a statement & have it notarized?

JsMom2
02-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's my problem: There is no "father" to get permission from. The "father" is nowhere to be found. She's never seen him and he took off before I even had her. So to be on the safe side should I write a statement & have it notarized?

Right now you don't need a passport or letter to cruise on DCL to the Caribbean so just be sure to bring both of your birth certificates.

However...eventually your daughter will need a passport. And you can't get a passport without BOTH parents approval.

The best thing you can do is consult a lawyer for a long-term solution to protect yourself and your DD. There are usually state/county organizations that can help with legal paperwork at no-cost.

I don't want to get into your personal business, but I'm also a single parent. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk.

Wendy

jlowejd5
02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
DCL seems to be now including a form in their cruise docs to cover this situation. I kinda skipped over it, as it's not applicable to us, but this is the first time I've seen anything like it in our forms. I think it covers non-custodial parents and/or a situation where you're bringing a child of which you are not the parent.

Granted, it appears to require the other person's signature, which may not help you, but it's a start. It's been way too long since I worked on any kind of juvenile law, but I would assume in a situation like this (no other parental claims) that you could get a statement of some sort from a court of competent jurisdiction that says that you have complete authority and autonomy to travel and obtain travel documents for your child.

Man, I turned on "lawyer mode" and my plane leaves for our next cruise in like 42 hours. That's impressive, since I told my boss on MONDAY that I'd already shipped my brain to Port Canaveral... I still got it!

orlandothebeagle
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM

I have never been asked for one for my niece but I will def always have one.

ladywine
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I would never even have thought about getting one, so I'm glad the question has been asked. The whole family is traveling together this time, but I don't know if I might take the boys somewhere without DH in the future! DH came with me to get the kids' passports, but I really never would have thought about it as far as taking them on a trip out of the country if he wasn't traveling. But I'm kinda ditzy that way.

Im_A_Princess
02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
However...eventually your daughter will need a passport. And you can't get a passport without BOTH parents approval.

Yes...this is true.
I had to have the letters to get me DDs passposts for the EB Panama Cruise.
The letter had to be notarized and sent in with the Passport apps. & BCs.
Their father had to sign a letter saying it was ok and then he got it notarized and mailed it to me.
The BCs and Passports came back but they kept the letter from their father.
When we sailed on DCL the year before I carried a similar letter that was notarized and the US customs (Bahamas- USVI) wanted to see it before the girls could get off the ship. That was the only stop they wanted to see it. Not DCL before we got on the ship...I thought that was odd.
DDs last name is different than mine now.

Im_A_Princess
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I have never been asked for one for my niece but I will def always have one.

If I were you and I was taking my niece on a cruise I would make sure I have a signed paper for legal authority to make medical decisions and such. :goodvibes
I am always over prepared.:rotfl:

shasess
02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

The best thing you can do is consult a lawyer for a long-term solution to protect yourself and your DD. There are usually state/county organizations that can help with legal paperwork at no-cost.
Wendy

Contacting a lawyer is a good idea but you actually can get a passport without having both parents written approval. My aunt had to get a passport for her DS and his father could not be found. You can go to the US passport website and obtain a special circumstances form that allows you to apply for a passport when the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained. http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

Lthouseprincess
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
We got a passport for my daughter with out the father (never been in the picture). i had to send in her birth Cert and court papers showing that i have sole physical custody as well as fill out a form stating why I can't obtain the fathers signature. It does take a little bit longer than normal passport so give it time.

orlandothebeagle
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
If I were you and I was taking my niece on a cruise I would make sure I have a signed paper for legal authority to make medical decisions and such. :goodvibes
I am always over prepared.:rotfl:

I can remember one time immigration asking her when she was just 9 if mommy knew where she was and if she wanted to go on holiday, I was thinking thank god I have letters signed by her Mum, but really pleased She never said anything sassy!

dollysmom
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I took my daughter on vacation from Canada to disney, without her father. I did not need that notarized letter until we landed back in my hometown. I was surprised that they never asked me for when I left the country with her. I would get one just incase, because you just never know when you may need it.

tazcat
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
took my nieces11 yrs and 13 yrs to ireland 2007 did have a letter from my sister. just had in with there passport. will be taking my nephew on the baltic cruise june 2010 will have the letter. dlc does require them, they have pdf file in there online check in with a form you get filled out. i feel it better to have the letter instead not be able to board

tvguy
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Sad but true, and apparently necessary.

The last 3 Amber Alerts in our area ended up being non-custodial parents taking children out of the country without the permission of the custodial parent. Some how, in each case, the non-custodial parent had the child's Passport, and in each case, the non-custodial parent and child were already in the air on non-stop flights out of the country before the Amber Alert was issued.
In one case, they ended up in BUCHAREST.....and the child is still there because under Romanian law, what dad wants trumps what any U.S. court has ordered.

mousetravel
02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
I called DCL yesterday just to see what they said, and the lady I talked to said I did not need a letter. I wonder if I should take something anyway just to be on the safe side.

orlandothebeagle
02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
You know there is a form you can print out on the cruise web site??

mousetravel
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
You know there is a form you can print out on the cruise web site??

I went to check it out, and the form says it's to be filled out "if traveling without parent or guardian". So is there a form letter for traveling with only one parent? The letters I've seen are for the absent parent to sign for permission. In my case, there's no "other parent" available to sign because they're no where to be found. That's my issue.

ShawnaH
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Is his name on the Birth Certificate? my DS' bio-father and I slit up before he was born. He didnt contact me at all after he learned I was pregnant. When he was born I gave him my last name and didn't list a father on the birth certificate. When I went to get a pass port I was very concerned that this would be a problem. They said since he wasn't listed on the birth certificate i didnt need his permission to do anything (even though there was a paternity test). As far as they were concerned there was no "father"

esbrick
02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
When we travel with my husbands DD we bring a note as a just in case but really have no issues as we all have the same name. We do it for legalities sake as a CYA just in case God Forbid we ever had to give her medical treatment. My DH can ok but we like to have written proof that he can ok just in case.

mousetravel
02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Is his name on the Birth Certificate?
They said since he wasn't listed on the birth certificate i didnt need his permission to do anything (even though there was a paternity test). As far as they were concerned there was no "father"

No, his name isn't on anything. No paternity test ever taken.
Not to sound bad, but, as far as they're concerned, what if the father is "unknown"? What if the father is in jail/prison?
I just don't see where they can make someone have a father permission not knowing someone's personal situation.

mousetravel
04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I wanted to come back to this thread after I got an email from the passort division. I emailed them asking about getting a passport in the case of "no father". From their reply, you can get a passport without the father's permission if there is no father listed on the birth certificate.

I thought I'd share their reply, in case anyone else has this issue:

Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center. Both parents, or guardians (if any), must give their consent to passport issuance to a minor under the age of 16, unless sole custody (by court order or death certificate of spouse), or guardianship (by court order) is established by the applying parent. If both parents cannot appear to apply, an original signed, notarized consent form (DS 3053) from the non-applying parent is sufficient. Also, if the mother is the only parent listed on the childs birth certificate there is no need for the fathers consent. For further information, please refer to our websitewww.travel.state.gov or call (877) 487-2778, for TDD/TTY users 1-888-874-7793 (Mon-Fri 8:00AM to 10:00PM ET; excluding federal holidays). If you need to contact us again by email, please include all prior messages/correspondence in your reply so we can review what has previously taken place.

WishingMom
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I've never been asked, but both myself and DD's father travel with a permission letter. I get my template from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs website.

LD NURSE
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Mousetravel, I' m so glad you don't have to worry about tracking down somebody, who does not deserve to be tracked down. My ex husband was out of the picture for 1 1/2 years and I was not looking foreward to tracking him down. But I, thankfully have sole custody, so, they just need certified copies of my divorce decree for the passport. It is a pain, though. But on the other hand, at least I know that my ex can't easily take my son out of the country!

kcashner
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
My daughter has no legal father. I have taken her on 20 cruises, and never been asked for any documentation beyond her birth certificate (when we used that) or passport (after she got one). Her birth certificate lists me as her mother and all the father info is blank. The first time, I was worried...knowing that the birth certificate looked odd with so many blanks and that most of the information on it is a lie (she's adopted). No problems at all.

If you are taking a child who is not your child out of the country, there is a "minor authorization form" which can be downloaded from the DCL web site. It needs to be signed by the child's parent (s) and notarized,

disneynewbee
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Contacting a lawyer is a good idea but you actually can get a passport without having both parents written approval. My aunt had to get a passport for her DS and his father could not be found. You can go to the US passport website and obtain a special circumstances form that allows you to apply for a passport when the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained. http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

Yep I just got done researching this for my own dd and found the same information. I am going to do hers sooner than the rest of us in case of any delays or problems though. My situation is that my oldests bio dad signed the birth certificate and then disappeared. I never asked for a cent and he never asked for visitation. I haven't seen him in 15 years. We never went to court to document anything. I never even thought about it being a problem until I started reading about what was required to get a passport. Thank goodness for the special circumstances form. Why didn't I listen to my mother and leave the father blank on the birth certificate. :confused3 Seems like everyone else has it better than me since they didn't put the father on the BC.

ldalvarado
04-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I am the non-custodial parent of my children and we are cruising at the end of May. Do I need to use the DCL letter, or can I prepare one of my own? The reason I ask is because we will also be staying in Orlando for a fews days before and after and I want a letter for the whole trip (outlining flights, hotels, destinations, etc.) If i use a detailed letter of my own, signed and notarized by their father, do I still need the DCL letter?

tvguy
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I've never been asked, but both myself and DD's father travel with a permission letter. I get my template from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs website.

Good idea. Only problem we ever had was returning to the U.S. by air through Calgary. Canadian customs gave us a hard time because we only had our then 2 year old son's birth certificate. Mind you, both my wife and I were there with OUR passports. And I had a letter from the Canadian Consulate in San Francisco saying the birth certificate was the only item we needed. Agent said since there was no picture ID, I could be "smuggling" a Canadian child out of the country. We immediately got him a passport and in the ensuring years, never had another problem.

kcashner
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I am the non-custodial parent of my children and we are cruising at the end of May. Do I need to use the DCL letter, or can I prepare one of my own? The reason I ask is because we will also be staying in Orlando for a fews days before and after and I want a letter for the whole trip (outlining flights, hotels, destinations, etc.) If i use a detailed letter of my own, signed and notarized by their father, do I still need the DCL letter?

IN the past, DCL has allowed a letter that you (or attorney) drafted provided that it gave the same information. Why not call them to be sure the policy hasn't changed?

goofygal1975
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't want to get into your personal business, but I'm also a single parent. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk.

Wendy

I am in the same situation, and you do NOT need to have the "father" sign anything if they are NOT listed on the birth certificate. Now, I did have my husband with us, and she started to ask him to sign. I simply said "the father is not listed on the birth certificate", and she nodded and said that was fine. We had this done at the court house (not the post office) so I do trust what she said.

I've never been asked for a letter, and ds and I cruised in 2005 alone (before I was married).