PDA

View Full Version : passport??

Lthouseprincess
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I am cruising 11/7. Does my 7 year old need a passport or does the birth Cert still work?

We Love Tinkerbell
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
It would appear that the passport rules were extended but I believe that after June 1, 2009 all travelers will be required to present a valid U.S. passport. We obtained a passport for our daughter even though it wasn't required because it was much easier than a birth certificate and photo identification and we felt it was "better safe than sorry". The current information can be found at travel.state.gov.

Hope this helps:stitch: :mickeybar :goofy:

cctimmom
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree with better safe than sorry... it's worth it to have a formal piece of ID for her

lbgraves
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Officially from the Department of State website.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LATER:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

tvguy
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
On paper, a birth certificate is all that is needed.
I would never, however travel to a foreign country with a child without a Passport.

Here's why. 20 years ago, long before the September 11th attacks and resulting crackdown on ID during international travel, we traveled to Canada with our then 2 year old with just a birth certificate. Canadian customs in Calgary lectured us on how without a photo ID there was no way they knew weather this was my child, or if my wife and I were kidnapping a Canadian 2 year old!!! By the way, I had a letter from the Canadian consulate in San Francisco saying the birth certificate was all we needed. If I faced that kind of hassle with Canada, I could only imagine what issues I could face with other foreign countries. Never had an issue since we got the kids Passports.