PDA

View Full Version : Kids on Excursions...age rules ?

tinkerbeth
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello ...

I am looking at excursions to add to my 'wish list' and there is one that's a snorkelling/beach excursion. THe age limit is 5. I'm going to have a 3 year old with me - how strict are they on the age limits? I know she won't be able to snorkel but would I be able to take her with?

It's a beach on St. John that I like the look of. IF I can't take her with, is it hard/safe to go as a family to another beach just buy hopping into a cab?

Thanks!

Beth pixiedust:

crafty91
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
DCL seems to be pretty strict on the age limits, case in point the web system won't let you sign them up if they aren't the "correct" age. I know a lot of DIS'ers book outside DCL and still have good experiences. You just have to do a bit more planning.:thumbsup2

5lilfish
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Try booking the excursion directly through an outside company. I'm sure someone can recommend one (or go looking around online for reviews)....and tell you how appropriate the tour would be for a 3 yr old. Like you said, depending on where you go to snorkel, the 3 yr old may not be able to snorkel but (s)he could float with floaties and/or be held while your party takes turns watching him/her.

Jess

5lilfish
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
One suggestion....I'm guessing you're talking about St. Thomas? You could take a cab to Coki Beach. There is wonderful snorkeling right from shore there. So you can take turns watching the 3 yr old play in the shallow water or on the beach while the rest of the party snorkels.

Jess

tinkerbeth
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes it's St Thomas/St John that I'm looking at. I've got some time to do the research and i wondered if we might be better off just to do our own thing and find a beach. Having never been there, I'm just not sure how safe it is to go off by myself and all that. I'll have a look round at places we could go. I'd just as soon keep it low key and have the beach thing but I don't want to go anywhere without my dd3...but it would also be nice for ds8 to be able to snorkel if he likes.

Thanks again!

Beth :)

GoofyTraci
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes DCL is very strict with the age guidlines. I am having this issue at our first port where my son turns the required age the very next day and DCL still said no.

suezyq50
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
For this reason, we are booking excursions with private companies. There is no way we would the young kids behind.

lbgraves
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
DCL is very strict about the age restrictions due to their insurance.

tinkerbeth
02-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Is there a place I can get some info on the "private companies"? I'm such a newbie I'm afraid I don' know much...:confused3

Thanks!

Beth