PDA

View Full Version : 4 night formal dress?

ShootingStarMom2
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi. We are going on a 4 night in December and was reading that a lot of people do not dress up on the Wonder and for shorter cruises? This cruise is over NYE so I know there will be a party, but what about formal attire? Will we be out of place with tuxes and formal dresses? I would hate to pack all that for no reason. We took it all with us on a 7 night, but I haven't read much about 4 nights.

jlowejd5
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
In general, the 4-night does not have a true "formal" night (ie, tuxes and ball gowns). Instead, it has a "semi-formal" night, which we usually interpret to mean a jacket for me (no tie) and a nicer dress (something more than a sundress but less than a ball gown) for DW.

Now, before this thread goes insane and gets locked down because some people seem unable to have a discussion of opinion without making personal attacks...

You will find a wide variety of dress on the 4-day. Some choose to follow DCL's recommendations, others choose their own path. From your post (ie, "we took tuxes on the 7-day"), my guess is you'll fall more squarely into the first group. If that's so, then one "semi-formal" outfit and three "cruise casual" outfits will get you everything you need for the regular dining rotation on a 4-night.

That doesn't take into account Palo, which asks for basically "semi-formal" attire for dinner and "cruise casual" for brunch.

I have also never cruised over NYE, so I don't know if there's a special shindig of some sort to celebrate the holiday, so everything I've said here may be completely worthless. But I'm used to that. I'm married...:rolleyes1

ShootingStarMom2
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, I have to say I was looking forward to getting dressed up. DH and I used to do the hotel parties for NYE every year and loved dressing up. Besides weddings, when do you really get the chance? I guess we will just go with suits and a nice dress for us and suits for the kids. I want to get some great family pics, so formal or not I'm sure they will be great. I laughed when I saw the women that would go to such great lengths to get their hair done with the tiara and all and have the perfect dress. Now I think I'm one of them... :rotfl: