PDA

View Full Version : uk/scotland golfers?

dennis99ss
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I know there is at least one wife of a golf pro here----at least there was in the past that gave me some advise. So, if anybody can give any help, it would be appreciated.

I have never been over to the Open, and am planning on coming over in July for the weekend. I am probably coming in and out of heathrow, however, because that looks like where my air miles will go the furthest, and am trying to get out monday am back to the states.

My question is really geared to anybody who has been at the open before. I see the final group is at 2:30, which means they will be finished at about 630-7pm. Has that been your experience? (not counting playoffs, etc.)

What time does it get dark up around turnberry in mid-July?

of course, since i am planning on going, it will likely be cold, windy, rainy, and have a playoff the next day.

orlandothebeagle
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok I cant answer the golf questions but it will be dark around 9.30ish and you can probaly expect sun,rain and wind, sorry thats probably not much help but it can be a real mixed bag, really hot or really cool.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=304&month=7&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/daily/1041211:5?climoMonth=7&x=5&y=4

BRobson
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I know there is at least one wife of a golf pro here----at least there was in the past that gave me some advise. So, if anybody can give any help, it would be appreciated.

I have never been over to the Open, and am planning on coming over in July for the weekend. I am probably coming in and out of heathrow, however, because that looks like where my air miles will go the furthest, and am trying to get out monday am back to the states.

My question is really geared to anybody who has been at the open before. I see the final group is at 2:30, which means they will be finished at about 630-7pm. Has that been your experience? (not counting playoffs, etc.)

What time does it get dark up around turnberry in mid-July?

of course, since i am planning on going, it will likely be cold, windy, rainy, and have a playoff the next day.

Hi - my DH has never been but follows it every year. It usually finishes around 7pm then there is speeches and presentation of trophies.

The weather in the UK is unpredictable at the best of times but it shouldnt be cold but may be wet.

It will stay reletivly light well into the evening.

DisneyJo
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi I've never been to the Open but went to the European Open last year and in previous years have been to other PGA events. As others have said it will be finish around 7pm but what we've found is it takes hours to actually get out as the crowds all leave at the same time, so just bear that in mind when booking flights :)

Have fun!

cherjp
02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi i have been to the Open when it was in Troon a few years ago, as i stay in troon, it finished on the sun night around 7pm, Turnberry isnt the easiest place to get out of , how are you going to get back to heathrow, are you driving at all,
websites that might help you are www.opengolf.com and www.visitscotland.com . If you are flying back to london the nearest airport is Prestwick, they have flights to london Stansted with Ryanair, from here you still have to get into london think its around 45 mins to get into london not sure exactly, website will tell you www.ryanair.com.
other than that if you are travelling back to Glasgow airport it will takes several hours to get there but from there you can get flights to both heathrow and gatwick. The Turnberry hotel has its own website www.turnberry.co.uk you can info there too, although the hotel has been closed for renovation and i think its going to open again in time.
If you are driving to Turnberry say from Troon where i stay it will take you around 1 and a half hours but that would be in normal traffic not the Open traffic which is a nightmare, hope this helps you a little bit.

orlandothebeagle
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi i have been to the Open when it was in Troon a few years ago, as i stay in troon, it finished on the sun night around 7pm, Turnberry isnt the easiest place to get out of , how are you going to get back to heathrow, are you driving at all,
websites that might help you are www.opengolf.com and www.visitscotland.com . If you are flying back to london the nearest airport is Prestwick, they have flights to london Stansted with Ryanair, from here you still have to get into london think its around 45 mins to get into london not sure exactly, website will tell you www.ryanair.com.
other than that if you are travelling back to Glasgow airport it will takes several hours to get there but from there you can get flights to both heathrow and gatwick. The Turnberry hotel has its own website www.turnberry.co.uk you can info there too, although the hotel has been closed for renovation and i think its going to open again in time.
If you are driving to Turnberry say from Troon where i stay it will take you around 1 and a half hours but that would be in normal traffic not the Open traffic which is a nightmare, hope this helps you a little bit.

You are right about the traffic, it can be a true nightmare, my hubby was haranged into driving a bus between the course and the park and ride, it was not good he said.

dennis99ss
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info.

I was worried about making the connections between Glasgow and Heathrow, given that turnberry looks like a bus and a train away from glasgow; and, given that there do not appear to be any late overnight trains with early am arrivals, I probably need to intend on leaving Tuesday from lhr.

Thanks for the info and heads up

cherjp
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi there will be special transport laid on i would guess , you might be better staying in Troon or Prestwick , hiring a car to get you to and from the Open, and then getting the train to glasgow airport which goes from both places direct to Paisley which is where you get off for glasgow airport( sorry if thats confusing but glasgow airport is actually in Paisley/Renfrew not Glasgow ), or as i said before fly out of prestwick to stansted then onto heathrow/gatwick .

The Marine Hotel in Troon is the one next to Royal Troon where the Open was last time and it might be worth contacting them to see if they would run courtesy buses or be able to help with transportation to Turnberry , their website is www.barcelo-hotels.co.uk this might give you some info and help, oh by the way another website says turnberry is around 40 mins away, it isnt really its more like 1 to 1 and half hours away,

dennis99ss
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
have to stay in glasgow because i am using hotel points for the free room.