PDA

View Full Version : Help with transportation questions???

keggero
02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
O.K., it's pretty much a done deal. We're doing the 4 night Wonder Cruise in Oct 2009. Flying from Chicago to MCO and will most likely get an early flight on the day we board the ship.

What's the best way to get from MCO to the cruise ship?

Also cruise lasts from Sunday to Thursday and my son really wants to go to the parks. So I was thinking since we get in at 7:30am on Thursday, why not head over to WDW and spend a day in the parks, spend the night and then fly home the next day.

If I choose to go that route, what's the best way to do it? Thanks for the help!!

Capt_BJ
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
rent a car
easy drive and cost effective

keggero
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Rent a car for a whole week? Then I have to pay for parking as well. That's the cheapest option??

mommasita
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Congrats on the trip!

May I just say that it is highly recommended to arrive the night before, in case of delays, etc, etc. Arriving the day of is really tricky.

Now that that is done, we rent a car and drop it off the Morning the cruise. We stay near the Port (Cocoa Beach) and my husband drops me and kids at the port, returns the car, and uses their free shuttle back to meet us. WE do this in reverse at the end of the cruise.

Parking is 15$ per day at the port, and a waste of money IMHO. Easier to do 2 rentals.

If you read the FAQ sticky on top of this page, it has some useful info on different car companies and hotels, etc etc. We use a code found on mousesavers for the car, and generally pay like 35$ a day!!!

You can certainly do the parks the day you the cruise is over!!

HTH:goodvibes

keggero
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Mommasita!

So you rent a car from MCO, drive to hotel and then return it car rental at the Port.

Then when I get off the boat, I rent the car again at the Port. Drive to the parks and then return it back to MCO.

Do I have that right? What rental car company do you prefer?

mommasita
02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Mommasita!

So you rent a car from MCO, drive to hotel and then return it car rental at the Port.

Then when I get off the boat, I rent the car again at the Port. Drive to the parks and then return it back to MCO.

Do I have that right? What rental car company do you prefer?

Exactly what we do. The 2 past trips we have used Avis, and loved it. Everything went smooth. The car was ready at MCO, and it took all of 5 minutes to get off and on our way after getting our bags. The last day we took the shuttle (waited about 5 minutes) after the cruise and it took a little longer, but possibly 15 minutes after arriving to be on the road. We were at MCO by 9:30 am, but we were not in a rush, as our flight was after lunch, so you could be at the parks quite early!

ETA: We rent the car in advance, I have seen signs at the counters with NO availability. THinking you know that already, but just wanted to add it in case.

mmouse37
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
The car rental companies near the port are

Thrifty
Budget
Avis
Hertz

We have used everyone but Hertz (as I never get a decent rate with them). The other three we have used at various times depending on who was giving the best rate at the time we were renting. Even Thrifty, with their $15 drop off fee was least expensive in October when we rented.

I go to www.mousesavers.com and go to the rental car section. There are various discount codes offered. I try all that may apply to my timeframe and length of rental and plug the different codes into each of the different car rental websites. It takes some work but it is worth it in the end.

You will need rental big enough to fit luggage and people so keep that in mind.

MJ

tvguy
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
The car rental companies near the port are

Thrifty
Budget
Avis
Hertz

We have used everyone but Hertz (as I never get a decent rate with them). The other three we have used at various times depending on who was giving the best rate at the time we were renting. Even Thrifty, with their $15 drop off fee was least expensive in October when we rented.

I go to www.mousesavers.com and go to the rental car section. There are various discount codes offered. I try all that may apply to my timeframe and length of rental and plug the different codes into each of the different car rental websites. It takes some work but it is worth it in the end.

You will need rental big enough to fit luggage and people so keep that in mind.

MJ

I would price shop them all online, several times. I wouldn't rule out Hertz. I have found they will either be the most expensive by a lot, or cheapest by a lot. I think they use computer software like the airlines do that continually adjusts rates up or down depending on the demand for the day you want the car. They aren't much for a fixed rate.
I had to fly into Houston 3 times, always a 3 day rental arriving on a Saturday. Most of the rental places were about $50 for a full size car, except Hertz. They quoted $75 for the first trip, $24 for the next, and $60 for the third. I noticed that their lot had one car there for the day they wanted $75, the lot was still full the time I got a $24 quote and actually rented from them, and the lot was nearly empty when I got the third quote.

BubblesNH
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I need to rent a car at Universal to get to the port. Hertz is on site but crazy rates. Is anyone else close by in the Universal Area that we can rent from?

Melrosgirl
02-11-2009, 04:58 AM
I would say rent a car (cheapest way to go) or get a towncar. We usually get towncars and this last cruise we did the DCL bus. Never again. It went smoothly, etc., but we were always the last stop. On the way back from the port there were 6 hotel stops! Not fun if you are number 6.