PDA

View Full Version : Yo, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!

TiggStitch
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Okay all, tell us all about it, pros and cons, any nice stories to tell?, do the menu's change? Is it weird being on the ship THAT day? Do tell! How are Christmas cruises? We are considering it, but I want the scoop....what tid bits can you share?

Thanks!:hippie:

DaniTaylor
02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I want to know this too me and DH are thinking of taking a break from the families and we thought what better way then to be out on a cruise!

jlw0820
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Me too. Is it cheaper or more expensive to cruise christmas week. we want to do the 7 night, Would it be better to cruise this week or do another week in jan after the holiday I am open for either but want the less expensive of the two.

NancyIL
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Me too. Is it cheaper or more expensive to cruise christmas week. we want to do the 7 night, Would it be better to cruise this week or do another week in jan after the holiday I am open for either but want the less expensive of the two.
The prices of holiday week cruises are MUCH higher than before or after - especially on Disney. Go to www.disneycruise.com and check for yourself.

cats mom
02-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmm that's a tough one. We've cruised at Christmas. We had a great time and I'm glad I experienced it once, but I don't think I'd do it again.

There's Christmas music playing, the ship is decorated beautifully, there's an amazing and yummy smelling gingerbread house display, the characters have special holiday costumes, they offer a fun gingerbread house decorating activity, and have a cute tree lighting ceremony. There's definitely Holiday Magic in the air... but if your schedule is a little more flexible than ours was; you can get all of those things on any December cruise, and for a LOT less money.

As far as I know these are things unique to the Christmas cruise: tables of beautifully decorated "cookies for Santa" on Christmas Eve (looked better than they tasted though), Santa in the atrium taking pictures and giving gifts to the kids on Christmas day (but the lines were very long, my kids picked their gift up at guest services), a special Don "Ducky" Williams lithograph for each stateroom, and a special Christmas Day menu. I've heard they sometimes have Mrs. Clause telling stories on Christmas Eve, but if that was offered on our cruise, we missed it.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great cruise! We enjoyed ourselves and we were appreciative of the extras DCL provided. But I don't know that I'd say the Christmas cruise was more special overall than any other DCL cruise we've been on, and it was much, much more expensive. And I do kind of feel like we missed Christmas that year. Of course we told our kids up front that if we did the Christmas cruise that was their gift, and we stuck by it. They each got a stocking on Christmas morning, but that was it.

I will say we met folks on board who had sailed on multiple DCL Christmas cruises, so obviously they feel differently than we did. Maybe one of them will come along and post their opinions too.