PDA

View Full Version : St. Thomas in December

dato63
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Is the water too cold for the snorkeling excursions?

Mickeyhugger
02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Is the water too cold for the snorkeling excursions?

We have been there in late Nov. and thought that the water was rather cool, for that reason this year will be our last Thanksgiving cruise:sad1:

Rob

frdeb1999
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
It depends on the temps your used to being in. We were in St Thomas the 2nd week of Dec and found the weather and water temps to be wonderful. ALthough I'm sure it can be hit and miss. We're looking forward to doing another winter cruise we enjoyed it so much.

tvguy
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
It depends on the temps your used to being in. We were in St Thomas the 2nd week of Dec and found the weather and water temps to be wonderful. ALthough I'm sure it can be hit and miss. We're looking forward to doing another winter cruise we enjoyed it so much.

We've been to St. Thomas in both December and January. The coldest water temperature ever recorded in the region is 72 degrees, so it will be at least 72 degrees, and around here with pools, any time the pool his 68 degrees it's swimming season. The thing you have to watch is the air temperature. No issue on our December trip. But our January trip came during a huge freeze in Florida.....and the air temperature was about 70 degrees, so the water was fine, while you were in it, it got cool when you got out.

dato63
02-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks ya'll! We aren't going for quite some time - but have been looking at different excursion ideas. That helps.

jrabbit
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
In January we snorkeled in St. Croix - Jumped off a boat and the "shock" was not to much and we were very comfortable very quickly.

St. Thomas - well Trunk bay in St. Johns we waded into the water so it seemed cooler but still was not to bad - its just easier to jump in

Castaway Cay - the water seemed much cooler than in the USVI - but we waded in again and that makes it worse than just getting it done and jumping in. I was in the water for about 6 hours at CC with no ill effects.

Paula13
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
We were in St.Thomas in December. The water felt fine to us. The air temp was around 90 plus, so the water felt good! Castaway was a bit cool, thou.

Jeanne B
02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
We were on St Thomas for a land vacation this past Dec (first week of Dec) and the air temps were in the 80's and although the water was cooler than the bath water temps :love: we experienced during our vacation there two summers ago it was definitely warm enough to swim and snorkel, it felt a bit chilly whenever we first got in but once in it was fine. But we're from New England so what seems warm to us may not seem warm to someone who lives in a warmer climate (although I'm pretty cold-blooded).