PDA

View Full Version : 4/3 Special with 10 day non expiring tickets - room price too good to be true?

mareed
02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I just booked Coronado Springs for July 4-11 on the 4/3 special for 2 adults & 2 children (children both over 10) with 10 day non-expiring tickets with water park and more for $2490.10. By my calculation, this makes the room part $51.44 per night. When I checked Pop Century with same tickets, the room part was $6.76 per night! I'd read that the package deal gave a break on the non-expiration option, but this seems very extreme! Would someone check my calculations below and see if I'm figuring this right?!

The gate price value of an adult 10 day non-expiring MYW with water park & more (basically fully loaded except for park-hopping) including tax is $532.50. Pricing for 4 adult tickets since my children are both over 10 comes to $2130. If I take the package price for CSR of $2490.10 and subtract the ticket value of $2130, that leaves $360.10 for the room portion of our package. Divide by 7 nights and this comes to $51.44 per night.

The total package for Pop Century was $2177.34. Subtracting the tickets of $2130 leaves $47.34 for the room - divide by 7 nights is $6.76 per night. This is crazy!

OK, in playing with the different prices when I add the 10 day no expire option, it looks like Disney is giving a break on the ticket prices with the special and is adding on the additional days of non-expire at a discount. When I price a package with the 7 day base MYW ticket and then change it to the 10 day no expire with water park, Disney is charging an additional $179.99 per ticket which makes the "value" of the 10 day ticket $422.81 instead of the gate price of $532.50. (MYW 7 day base gate price of $242.82 + $179.99) This is a savings of $109.69 per ticket off the gate price.

If I figure the room portion of my package based on Disney's discounted 10 day ticket (Pop Century package of $2177.34 minus $422.81 * 4 = $486.10). So, the nightly price of the room is $69.44. This is a reasonable price because we got a AAA rate last Fall similar to this. And, we're getting a good price on a 10 day ticket to use in the future!

The CSR room using Disney's discounted 10 day ticket (CSR package of $2490.10 minus $422.81 * 4 = $798.86). So, the nightly price of the room is $114.12. Once again, a good rate with discounted park tickets for future trips.

My conclusion is that Disney is giving a discount on the non-expiring tickets with the 4/3 package and that the room rate taking this into account is "good", but not "too good to be true". I know I have a lot of numbers presented here, but my hope is that this eventually helps someone else here who may be in the market for 10 day non-expiring tickets realize that they can get a fairly good deal with the 4/3 special!

Any faults with my analysis?!

For anyone who's interested, my family has a pretty strong preference for off-site in a privately owned townhome at Windsor Hills or Windsor Palms. Since this trip for us is a relatively short 7 nights (compared to 10-14 for our usual trips), we were considering a Disney resort because DH & I have stayed at a value & moderate on our own, but never with the kids. We had concerns about "squeezing" into a single room/bathroom at Disney with all 4 of us, but wanted to consider it this time with the special. The Pop Century price was good, but with the small room and just full-size beds (DH is 6' tall), the kids would end up having to sleep on the floor and now that they're 10 & 13, they weren't thrilled with that. Upgrading to Coronado Springs from a value gives us queen beds, 2 sinks, a frig, & a larger room for the same nightly price as a townhome. For this trip, we chose CSR, and we'll sacrifice separate bedrooms, multiple bathrooms, and full kitchen & laundry and give Disney a try with the whole family! Wish us luck!

TnTWalter
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I went through similar calculations...see my post

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2082328

I agree with you.

At first I thought deal was 'luke warm'. Then started crunching and with the 10 day no expire...it's a GREAT deal.

BUT DH keeps reminding me that onsite means more money spent on food vs. Windsor Hills...

so we're back and forth back and forth...

I will say that based on my calculations...we're doing 3 A and 2 C for pricing...the 10 day was $2200 [basically price of 7 day] and through UnderCover Tourist $2617 for same 10 day [all non expire water park and more + park hop]...so savings is $417 over UT.

Through Disney's site for my family of 5 [3 A 2 C...1 of our kids is 10]...
7 nights at POR with 10 day no expire WP+PH $3096. This rate does not include dining.

So if I take out $2200....then I'm paying $128 after tax per night during peak season.

And I have 2 more trips tickets pre-paid. :yay:

Trish

mareed
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I went through similar calculations...see my post

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2082328

I agree with you.

At first I thought deal was 'luke warm'. Then started crunching and with the 10 day no expire...it's a GREAT deal.

BUT DH keeps reminding me that onsite means more money spent on food vs. Windsor Hills...

so we're back and forth back and forth...

I will say that based on my calculations...we're doing 3 A and 2 C for pricing...the 10 day was $2200 [basically price of 7 day] and through UnderCover Tourist $2617 for same 10 day [all non expire water park and more + park hop]...so savings is $417 over UT.

Through Disney's site for my family of 5 [3 A 2 C...1 of our kids is 10]...
7 nights at POR with 10 day no expire WP+PH $3096. This rate does not include dining.

So if I take out $2200....then I'm paying $128 after tax per night during peak season.

And I have 2 more trips tickets pre-paid. :yay:

Trish

Thanks for sharing! I thought I was crazy. The good deal really doesn't become apparent until you add tickets for children into the equation - and it would only help those who will really eventually put all of the non-expiring days to good use.

Onsite doesn't necessarily have to mean more food costs - depending on how much you'd really eat at "home" if you stayed offsite. When we stay offsite we just eat a quick breakfast. With the frig in the Disney moderate resort, we plan to do the same. We never cook offsite for lunch or dinner, and we can still order pizza or eat offsite just like we would if we'd stayed at WH. (We always have a car even when staying at Disney because we don't like to use Disney's transportation.)

ADisneyQueen
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes, Disney is giving you a deal on the 10 day non expiring tickets. I found out about this a few months ago on the codes and rates board and am surprised there aren't a lot of people talking about it. You are paying the non expiring fee for the 7 day ticket, not the 10 day, so that's a savings of about $80 per ticket. It makes it worth it to stay on site.

DWFan4Life
02-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for taking time to share this info, we're gonna check this and go for a trip this year. Also do some calculations before doing a reservation. I'm excited.:yay::woohoo:

Have a nice day everyone. :)

maggiew
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
OK. So it took me awhile to "get" what you were saying. But the bottom line is that Disney is only charging the non-expiring fee like a 7 day ticket ($117.15) instead of a 10 day ticket ($213). So you are basically saving $100 per ticket if you were going to do the non-expiring option?

Also, do you get the 10 visits to the water parks that come with the 10 day tickets or will you get the 7 visits like a 7 day ticket?

Right now I just have a 7 day base ticket with my package. It would "only" be $933 to upgrade to a 10 day, park hopper, water parks and more, non-expiring fully loaded ticket for the 4 of us. So about $233 more per person.

Maggie

ADisneyQueen
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I just assumed I would be getting 10 days of waterparks since the park ticket is 10 days.
Thanks for updating the prices. I could not remember them and was too lazy to look them up! They are on mousesavers. I think she talks about the tickets and the 4/7 somewhere on the site.

Luuvebugg
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
This is exactly the reason we booked a last minute trip..it was too good to pass up! We (me, my dh and dd age 6) are staying at the CBR for 7 nights/8 days and it ends up being ike $85.00 a night. We didn't need the park passes because we already had a bunch of non expiring ones, so we saved a lot of money there (although it was a great deal too!)
We opted to do the Disney plan..BUT we had to buy at least one day pass to the parks to do that..so, we got the hotel, dining plan, flight from Buffalo to Orlando and 3 one day tickets for $2300.00. And the best part?? We get a $200.00 Disney gift card when we check in!

andreasingh
02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
When I did the math for the same season, I only got CSR down to $90 per night (2A+1C, & could only get Water View rooms). I used the Undercover Tourist rates to compare/contrast.

Even though we're now doing the military tickets, so we really don't need new 10 day passes this year, we're still doing it ($130 per night). & I had to give myself a long lecture to convince myself *not* to do the 10 day pass on top of the military tickets & our remaining 4 days on our old tickets, because the "3 free" on the NE is such a DEAL!

I wanted to add that it is also a good deal if you are purchasing an Annual Pass. You get the great deal on the 10 day pass, then use the 1st day to lock in the gate price, & voila! AP for 20% off.

Also, if you're doing CSR, have you crunched the numbers yet for Quick Service Dining? Pepper Market's a tad expensive for a food court, but it also offers pretty full service & a wide range of options for 1 counter service credit. I'm thinking it's probably the only resort where QSD makes sense.

& thanks for the info on Windsor Hills - I'm going to keep it in mind for future trips!

DizMom11
02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you for this thread!
I originally just took the 7 day base with the 4/3 deal. I just called and got a 10d no exp with hopping/water parks for $413. I will upgrade it to a premium ann pass for between $50-60(have not figured out exactly yet) For 4 of us that is over $600 saved(I think):lovestruc

mareed
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you for this thread!
I originally just took the 7 day base with the 4/3 deal. I just called and got a 10d no exp with hopping/water parks for $413. I will upgrade it to a premium ann pass for between $50-60(have not figured out exactly yet) For 4 of us that is over $600 saved(I think):lovestruc

Glad the info helped. By my calculation, Disney is discounting the 10-day no expire passes by about $110 each (at least on the adult, and I'm guessing it's the same for child). So, I'd guess that you'll have saved $440 for your 4 tickets when you upgrade them. But Disney math is definitely "fuzzy" when you get into valuing the different components of a package! I calculated that Disney was charging me $422.81 per ticket instead of the gate price of $532.50 (didn't add park hopping to ours). But, I personally "value" the ticket at what I'd otherwise purchase it for from Undercovertourist which is $479.95. So, Disney's discount is really just saving me about $40 per ticket. Still a savings, so I'll take it!

When I calculated how much I was paying for the room as part of my package, I used the UndercoverTourist ticket price, which left a moderate room priced at $81.47 per night (including tax). Not too bad of a deal!