PDA

View Full Version : tablemates

disneynewbee
02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
So have you ever had tablemates you just didn't hit it off with? Any that were just horrible. What was it about them that you didn't like? And how did you deal with it? Just being nosey.

disneyfaninaz
02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, we got stuck eating with our neighbors last year! ;)

Just kidding, we did travel with our neighbors and enjoyed our meals with them every evening. We also got sat with a family of 3 from Toronto. Their son (5) and my DD (7) became fast friends and she became his "cruise girlfriend." She helped to entertain hima it dinner, it was very cute!

plutojudy
02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
No, we have always had great table mates.

fairfax
02-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Once, we were seated with an older couple and their high school age daughter. They took one look at us with our two kids (who were 18 months and 3 years old at the time) and asked to be changed to another table right away because they had asked to be seated at an adults only table. We never got new tablemates and had the large table to ourselves for the rest of the cruise.

nikkistevej
02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
We've only been on one DCL, and loved our tablemates. They had a daughter the same age as our daughter, and they got along great. Now I went on a "scrapbook" cruise with my sister in 2007, and did not care for 2 of our tablemates on that cruise, but loved the other 3 at our table. The one(that I didn't like- a perfect stranger mind you) tried to stick her fork in my food and take a bite, I took my fork and poked her in her hand, told her "you don't touch a fat girl's food." She didn't sit next to me for the rest of the cruise, my sister and the other girl's at the table looked like they were gonna die laughing. I mean come on, a perfect stranger gonna touch my food- ewww.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

disneynewbee
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
We've only been on one DCL, and loved our tablemates. They had a daughter the same age as our daughter, and they got along great. Now I went on a "scrapbook" cruise with my sister in 2007, and did not care for 2 of our tablemates on that cruise, but loved the other 3 at our table. The one(that I didn't like- a perfect stranger mind you) tried to stick her fork in my food and take a bite, I took my fork and poked her in her hand, told her "you don't touch a fat girl's food." She didn't sit next to me for the rest of the cruise, my sister and the other girl's at the table looked like they were gonna die laughing. I mean come on, a perfect stranger gonna touch my food- ewww.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OMG I can't imagine a stranger putting their fork in my plate. I mean we share food between family and are always eating off of each others plate but for a stranger to reach into your plate, that's just crazy.

disneynewbee
02-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Once, we were seated with an older couple and their high school age daughter. They took one look at us with our two kids (who were 18 months and 3 years old at the time) and asked to be changed to another table right away because they had asked to be seated at an adults only table. We never got new tablemates and had the large table to ourselves for the rest of the cruise.

Did they ask right in front of you? If I was them I would have at least finished that meal and asked in private after the meal was over. Or at least made a comment that hey it's not you guys we just wanted an adult table. I have 4 kids so I can imagine that adults with no kids or with older kids wouldn't want to sit with us but I would hope they would handle it tactfully. In our case my mom and her bf are going so with 8 of us I think we will be at a table alone anyway.

nikkistevej
02-09-2009, 09:29 AM
OMG I can't imagine a stranger putting their fork in my plate. I mean we share food between family and are always eating off of each others plate but for a stranger to reach into your plate, that's just crazy.

I know it's crazy!! (I actually don't share food with anyone, occasionally with my DD or DH- and that's rare- LOL- I just don't share it) My sister knows that too, that's why she looked like she was gonna pass out from holding in her laughter.

tvguy
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
We were disappointed on the Magic, we had a table to ourselves. We have always had fun table mates on past cruises.
I can see it being a bigger risk on Disney since there are so many more young children on board than on other cruise lines, and more importantly, parents have so many different ideas of what is appropriate behaviour by children at the dinner table.
No offense Fairfax, but I can see on the surface, not knowing your kids, why someone might be uncomfortable with an 18 month old at the table, and maybe a 3 year old too. We didn't take our kids on a cruise until they were 11 and 15, but we made annual treks by plane beginning at 6 months old, to Grandma and Grandpa's and Great-Grandma-and Great Grandpas, and I know even my little angels, despite being great kids, and despite a lot of work by DW and I (these were no vacations for us!!), probably disturbed some people during the course of our travels.

debbiechels
02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
My daughter and I went on a cruise last year and this was my biggest fear - bad tablemates. I was already very self concious without my husband and I literally worried myself to death over it. After saying all that - I met the best table of friends. We looked forward to dinner every night - we usually go to topsiders one night and to Palo one night but no way on this cruise - we just could not leave our cruise family. We actually cried on our last morning and still write to them and think of them often. One family booked the same week we did but it will be hard to go this year without all of them but they were going the week before us - but watch out 2010! :yay:

jlowejd5
02-09-2009, 11:26 AM
JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!!

hee hee

We've had good luck, for the most part. Our first cruise, we were with a family with two kids (probably 10 and 8) and both kids were kinda sick the whole cruise. I don't know if they were seasick, or just flat-out exhausted and sunburned and wiped out. My guess is that they would have been nice enough people, but the kids were pretty much eating up all of their focus. They'd eat fast and bail, becuase both kids looked like they were just this side of nausea. We felt bad for them.

Honeymoon cruise was just us and another adult couple. They were pretty cool, if a bit reserved.

This is our first cruise since then where we aren't cruising with friends, so we're hoping for good things. Plus we're second seating, so we'll see how this works out...

fairfax
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Did they ask right in front of you? If I was them I would have at least finished that meal and asked in private after the meal was over. Or at least made a comment that hey it's not you guys we just wanted an adult table. I have 4 kids so I can imagine that adults with no kids or with older kids wouldn't want to sit with us but I would hope they would handle it tactfully. In our case my mom and her bf are going so with 8 of us I think we will be at a table alone anyway.

They sort of stood in front of the table and wouldn't sit down and finally the head server took them aside. Later, our server told us that they wanted to move because they had requested the adults only seating (they thought 8:30 was adults only seating) and table. At first I was a little offended, but then realized I was better off without having to worry about them being upset at our table during dinner. I can totally understand not wanting to sit with small children if you are past that stage in your life. Still, it's hard not to feel a little rejected ;) (I am just kidding!! I understand not everyone loves my kids as much as I do!)

Cruise
02-09-2009, 03:01 PM
We're just a couple, no kids, so on our first cruise, we requested a 4 top so we'd just be with another couple. Which woulda been okay except they were from Singapore and the wife didn't speak any English. The husband would speak with us, but didn't seem inclined to interpret anything for his wife, so she ended up just sitting there. There ended up being a lot of awkward quietness at the table.

Since then, we've either requested larger tables so we'll have a better chance of meeting more people to hit it off with or linked reservations with others that we already knew through the DIS. :)

Debbru
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
We've been on 4 cruises - 2 with friends, 2 just DH & I (one of these was the DVC cruise, we were seated with 3 other couples, and had a fantastic time - we even saw & ate with 2 of the couples who also went on to WDW after the cruise).

Now for that 4th cruise - OMG it's hard to even descibe the experience! We were seated with another couple at a table for 4. Before I describe their dress, let me just say that DH & I are NOT formal type people, we're very casual, but we do put on nice pants and shirts/tops for dinner. This other couple showed up in what I would call old gym wear. They both had on old, gym shorts, she had a plain tee shirt, he wore a torn, stained underwear-type tee. As each dinner progressed, his tee accumulated more stains!!!
They wore these each night of the 3 night cruise.

The conversation was even worse - each night he described everything that went wrong for them that day (nothing would have pleased them). Twice he sent back his food because it was cold -- you had to be there when he called the Head Waiter over & insisted he touch his steak. The poor HW said he didn't need to touch it, he would just bring it back for another -- this went back & forth - "touch this" - "I'll just have it replaced sir" - "No, touch this" etc etc.

The best conversation was the final night - we got a 1 hour description of several surgeries he had had over the last 2 years - including his stomach and bowel problems.

Please don't let this scare anyone from eating with strangers -- I don't think these were typical tablemates and if it ever happened again we would definitely ask to be moved.

Debbie

mmmagic7754
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
We have never had anyone we didn't get along with, but some were better than others.Our last cruise we were with a couple from Scotland and we still keep in touch:)

yazee1
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Three cruises - all three times we've enjoyed our tablemates. The first time we were paired with strangers. The second and third time, we arranged to have thread meet friends as our table mates. That's a fun thing to do. This last cruise, we adored our tablemates. Our upcoming cruise will be the first one we've taken with other family members. I don't think we'll have any surprises in terms of tablemates who touch our food, invited to or not.

This topic has come up in the past so I know there are some really eye-bugging, hair raising stories out there. While they are the exception to the rule, they do make for some interesting reading.

BearFan
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Ok, let me first say that statistically speaking, we're doing great.

We've been on 11 cruises and only once had tablemates we didn't get along with. We asked for our server specifically and got him, we've had him on 9 of the 11 we've been on. I will protect the names of the innocent and not so innocent for moralities sake here. Our first night, this couples in their early 50's were complaining that on their last DCL cruise they had lousy service and had to wait forever. We assured them that our server was top notch and that the cruiseline even uses him to train new people. He came over and introduced himself to the table and she sat straight up stiffly and said OUT LOUD, "Yeah, but he's black!" in front of us, another retired couple and our server. We were mortified!!!!!!! We sat there speechless. To say that our 7 day cruise was awkward was an understatement. We were on a holiday cruise and could not be moved anywhere and still have our friend as server so we toughed it out. Amazingly, that couple also did not asked to be moved either. The possibility of having someone of another race as a server should have occured to them especially after cruising before. They were not so overt the rest of the time but just awful giving our server and head server the roughest of times ever evening. It seemed like a sick game to them. Our server and head server bent over backwards to be nice and provided excellent service and to this day, I still do not know if they got tipped. I know that they stiffed the head server for sure but am not sure about our friend. We hardly spoke to them the entire trip and had several empty chairs between us and them. Apparently the other couple had no trouble with their attitude and occasionally joined in on the trouble. We took it as a personal affront unto us and our server. We love him dearly and have even been invited to his wedding in the past. I don't want people to freak out after this story but keep it in mind that it still happens in this day and age. We just had a very unusual circumstance not being able to be moved. I think the experience has actually brought us closer as friends with our server and head server, which is our silver lining!

Lisa Marie

BobandLee
02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, yes a couple of times.
The first 7 day eastern we were on, we were seated with 4 other couples who spent the whole cruise trying to impress each other.
Then on a 4 day cruise we were seated with two ladies who were trying to diet and dissected each meal.
Also, the got sunburnt the first day out and complained about being burnt the rest of the cruise.

Now the good.
In 2004 we were on a Western cruise. We were seated with another couple and their son. Hardly a word was spoken the first night.
But the next night, after Key West, we just kinda hit things off and each night was good.
While on that cruise, we heard about the Dis. Started chatting.
When we did the 05 Panama WB, we were with a lot of other Disboard people. Had a great time.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/CanalCruiser/piratenite3.jpg
Have sat with Disers on the subsequent 3 cruises. Wonderful on each.

Evil Queen 2
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, DH and I have, with the exception of one cruise, always enjoyed our tablemates. Now whether they would say the same thing is something else. :lmao:

We have been seated with 2 families that each had a child, with couples around our age, couples older, and couples younger. In 6 cruises only once did we have a couple that were picky/fussy about everything. But on the other hand they only came 3 nights out of the 7. ;) The server and assistant were great even when the couple complained about having too much ice in their water. :rolleyes: Guess I would just hate to be so unhappy that I have to punish everyone around me.

We think it's kind of neat to have young kids at the table. We enjoy them for a hour and then turn them back over to their folks. Sort of rent a grandkid!

WeLuvDCL
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
We're just a couple, no kids, so on our first cruise, we requested a 4 top so we'd just be with another couple. Which woulda been okay except they were from Singapore and the wife didn't speak any English. The husband would speak with us, but didn't seem inclined to interpret anything for his wife, so she ended up just sitting there. There ended up being a lot of awkward quietness at the table.

I think we had those same tablemates on a different cruise! :laughing:
Honestly, though, this did happne to us too. The husband barely spoke English and they just weren't "our type of people" :snooty:
But, we have been on almost 20 cruises and this is the only bad experience we had...and it wasn't on Disney. SO they odds of having good tablemates are pretty good. :thumbsup2

Faith&Hope
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
We have been on 3 7-day DCL cruises and are getting ready for #4. We have NEVER had any tablemates. It has just been my husband, I and our 2 little kids. It would be great for us to have tablemates the same age as our kids. THe girls are very active and een though I take a bag of activities/homework to do, meals seem to last forever. It would be great to have other kids at the table! Is this something I could request upon getting on the ship?

What are the chances of not having tablemates?:confused3

PizzieDuster
02-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Since then, we've either requested larger tables so we'll have a better chance of meeting more people to hit it off with or linked reservations with others that we already knew through the DIS. :)

Julie :thumbsup2

On our first Royal Car. cruise we (party of 5) were seated with a couple with DS 6. They were from --- I completely forgot --- but they spoke NO ENGLISH! They looked painfully unhappy. We could not communicate. The worse was my poor DS12 at the time - was seated next to the Dad. I was crushed watching him feel so uncomfortable. We changed to a table for ourselves.

After 3 Disney cruises - we've never experienced any problems with table mates. First DCL cruise we had wonderful tablemates from PA and they had a DD same age as my eldest DS. So he was more than happy to go to dinner. They also had a small DD with special needs and it was wonderful to see how great the staff dealed with this. We even saw a chef come out to speak to the parents. They were so endeared when he brought out her meal and she gobbled it up. They were very sweet, they were so worried their DD would not eat on the cruise.

They next times we were sitted alone as a family.

I will say the following Royal Car. cruise on The Freedom my eldest DS was yet again delighted to be sailing with TWINS the same age as he. We had a blast.

Has this every happened to you? We made very good friends by the adult pool and we tried to get our tables together but it didn't work out. Oh well, it made after dinner activities very fun! :woohoo:

jbuckent
02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Our first cruise, Carnival, was with our bestest friends and his sister (who we had only met once) and her boyfriend (who we never met). There were also two empty chairs at our table. This was the best cruise ever! We had so much fun at dinners.

Second cruise, Royal Caribbean, we were at a table for 8 with my ILs, and two other couples. Once couple was very friendly and fun to talk with. The other couple was a young gal, and her very old DH, they were both neurosurgeons, that is all we got out of them. They very much kept to themselves and didn't care to chat with us. That was a little awkward having 6 people at the table talking together and 2 not.

Third cruise, DCL, we now had a 12 month old with us, we were seated with a couple and their maybe 5 year old dd. They told us they would likely not be dining with us after this night as they were trying to get early seating. They got it. We never saw them again. So it was just the 3 of us. This was nice, our servers spent a lot of time with us and dotting over our DD.

Fourth cruise, DCL, the 3 of us sat at a table for 9. The 5 others were a DH and wife about our age, their children maybe 4 and 6, one of their mothers/grandmothers and her friend. The mother/grandmother and friend were fun. They were a little complainy but it was the kind of complainy that DH and I could go back to our room and laugh at. The kids were way too tired to get to know, the younger one usually fell asleep in the stroller before eating and the older one would lay down on two chairs and go to sleep after eating. Their parents usually spent their time trying to keep the kids awake to eat so we didn't get to know them very well at all.

Our upcoming cruise I hope we are seated with a family similar to ours. I much prefer having tablemates than just us.

orlandothebeagle
02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Ok, let me first say that statistically speaking, we're doing great.

We've been on 11 cruises and only once had tablemates we didn't get along with. We asked for our server specifically and got him, we've had him on 9 of the 11 we've been on. I will protect the names of the innocent and not so innocent for moralities sake here. Our first night, this couples in their early 50's were complaining that on their last DCL cruise they had lousy service and had to wait forever. We assured them that our server was top notch and that the cruiseline even uses him to train new people. He came over and introduced himself to the table and she sat straight up stiffly and said OUT LOUD, "Yeah, but he's black!" in front of us, another retired couple and our server. We were mortified!!!!!!! We sat there speechless. To say that our 7 day cruise was awkward was an understatement. We were on a holiday cruise and could not be moved anywhere and still have our friend as server so we toughed it out. Amazingly, that couple also did not asked to be moved either. The possibility of having someone of another race as a server should have occured to them especially after cruising before. They were not so overt the rest of the time but just awful giving our server and head server the roughest of times ever evening. It seemed like a sick game to them. Our server and head server bent over backwards to be nice and provided excellent service and to this day, I still do not know if they got tipped. I know that they stiffed the head server for sure but am not sure about our friend. We hardly spoke to them the entire trip and had several empty chairs between us and them. Apparently the other couple had no trouble with their attitude and occasionally joined in on the trouble. We took it as a personal affront unto us and our server. We love him dearly and have even been invited to his wedding in the past. I don't want people to freak out after this story but keep it in mind that it still happens in this day and age. We just had a very unusual circumstance not being able to be moved. I think the experience has actually brought us closer as friends with our server and head server, which is our silver lining!

Lisa Marie

You are a hero, I am not sure i could have shared a table with these "people"
It is really scary though isnt it, we were lucky the last time, we are going with our parents next time, not sure what we will do:confused3

BethC1952
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
We've been very lucky with our tablemates.

Our first DCL cruise was our second honeymoon, and we were seated with three other honeymoon couples, all on their first honeymoons and all younger than our son. It was OK, not too bad, we did chat a bit.

On our second cruise, we had my DFIL with us, and were seated with a couple with a daughter who turned 17 on the cruise. The daughter wouldn't eat ANYTHING!!! Finally the parents gave up and just let her sit there. The parents were fun.

On our next cruise, we had family with us. There were 9 of us with a table to ourselves.

On our next cruise, we were seated with a couple from England, and they were wonderful tablemates. They loved American TV, we love British mysteries and dramas, so had plenty of conversation. There were two empty seats at our table, and on the last night a mother showed up with her young son. They took one look at us and left!

I don't remember our tablemates on our next cruise, which was the first half of a back-to-back. On the second half, we requested the same serving team, and got a 4-top all to ourselves.

On our most recent cruise, we linked with a bunch of DIS'ers (Cruise, who posted somewhere up the thread was one of them) and we had a blast! We all still keep in touch.

I can't wait to see what kind of tablemates we get in May. This time it will be just a friend and me, since DH is saving his very limited vacation time for our big "grandparents, parents and grandkids" WDW/DCL trip in December (we're the grandparents).

Beth

WishingMom
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=jlowejd5;30190730]JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!!

hee hee

I love it!!!!

ShootingStarMom2
02-11-2009, 09:41 AM
We've done one DCL and the first night we sat down to dinner at a huge table with a young woman, her mother, her mother's mother, and her 4 kids. They just sat down and started talking amongst themselves. They never said hi, or nice to meet you, nothing. We polietly ate our dinner and then asked to be moved for the next meal service.

We were moved to a totally different dining rotation, which was fine with us because we got 2 nights in Lumiere's, and sat with the nicest couple that was our age. They said their tablemates had never even showed up and they were nervous they would get some wacko couple (well, in some instances we are wackos but not THAT kind) Later on the cruise we saw the family we left behind and they totally stared us down with the evil eye. Even the kids were staring!

Our second cruise was on Carnival. We sat at a table with 4 other couples our age (20's - 30's). When my husband asked what the couple to his right what kind of work they did said he was a pharmacist and his wife was a surgeon. He didn't ask what do you do or anything else about us. He just sat there and drank his wine staring straight ahead. Later in the conversation I asked his wife what type of surgery she did and she glanced at her husband and didn't answer. She finished her mouthful of food and said she worked for an animal hospital as a animal surgeon. I was a little surprised when she said that because her husband made no attempts to clarify that she was a vet. I could have cared less because I couldn't do either. I still wonder why he didn't just say so in the first place. Neither of them spoke to us again after that. My DH would meow when they would walk by us on the boat. :rotfl:

PrincessBelle39
02-12-2009, 01:43 AM
How many people are usually seated at a table? There are four of us - DH, myself and dd's 7 and 4(nearly 5). DH is hoping that we are seated with other people like ourselves - ie: with children. Mind you I feel sorry for any potential table mates. DH and dd7 can talk with a mouthful of marbles underwater.

tmli
02-12-2009, 05:30 AM
I have cruised a few times and I may be in the minority but we prefer our own table. Both DH and I are not extremely "social" people and we both work in jobs where we deal with the public constantly. When I am away I want it to be just us!! We did have a table for the three of us on our last cruise and we LOVED it!!

LUVMICKEY
02-12-2009, 05:40 AM
We have only had tablemates one time, which was our last cruise. We have always cruised with other family members. We were concerned about it a little, but we had great tablemates and were glad that we met them. We had a great time all week with them and would not be concerned about doing it again.

lg3
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
We have always been lucky to have wonderful tablemates on DCL. :goodvibes

On a Celebrity cruise we had some real strange birds. One older couple especially, who were rather loud and obnoxious. They were from New Jersey (nothing against New Jersey!) but he would talk as if everyone were deaf and say at least every ten minutes of the meal "Eat up! You paid for it - hey, get some more!" It got old very fast.

jrabbit
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
On our last cruise the family we sat with ended up not comming to rotational dinning 2 nights in a row (Palo on night and topsiders another). We decided that we were pretty boring without our tablemates - nothing new to talk about because we were together the whole time:)

We have enjoyed our tablemates on "All" of our cruises - we had a table with a family and a single person. The family was great, the single person was grumpy and gave the serving team a very hard time (they were the best we have had from Head Server to Server to Assistant Server). Another cruise we ate with a japaneese family that spoke limited english (we only speak english) It was a little hard to comunicate but we still had a great time with them. Then there was the time that we were at a table with 5 families (18) and none of the families knew each other before the cruise (and the "demographics" of the families didn't really match up either). I think that this was the most fun we had at dinner on all of our cruises.

Dinning with others will always be an adventure. But it is part of the cruise "experience" and this is something we always look forward to (and my family is pretty shy!!)

plutojudy
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Dinning with others will always be an adventure. But it is part of the cruise "experience" and this is something we always look forward to (and my family is pretty shy!!)

My husband and I agree! One time we were at a table for four and the other two people never came to dinner. We missed having someone to talk to. We already knew what we did that day. We already knew what our plans were for the next day. We enjoy meeting new people.