PDA

View Full Version : Puppy advice please! *PICS ADDED*

shellbell
02-09-2009, 03:16 AM
After long consideration we have decided were are going to get a puppy. We pick Daisy, our Basset hound up in two weeks from Redcar. She is from a litter of 8 pups 4 girls/4boys but she is the quietest one. I would be so greatful of any info on puppy training and tips that you could give me. We have read so many books and just a little scared 'have we done the right thing'? We have been talking about getting a dog now for so long that we have decided yep we will do it.

She is absolutey gorgeous. Her dad won best of breeds last month in crufts. We can't wait to bring her home. :cool1:

natalielongstaff
02-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Wen you pick her up take a towel/blanket with you and rub it round mum, so it will have the scent on...we also put a hot water bottle in the bed and left the radio on at night when Jarvis was a pup

Get ready for a few sleepless nights ;)

higgy66
02-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Also take a towel/sheet for the car as dogs are often sick the first time they travel but then fine after that.

When we picked ours up she waited until we pulled up at home and then threw up all over me! :eek: After that she was never car sick again.

tennisfan
02-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Save loads of newspaper to put on the floor whilst toilet training her, its cheaper then the puppy pads & just as good really.

Get into a routine as soon as. When she eats put her in the garden after & then she will eventually learn to go out.

She will cry at first during the night but try not to keep going to her, it will be hard I know but they will eventually settle. If you keep going to them it will make it hardr for them to be on their own.

Buy some puppy bones to help with the teeth as puppy teeth are razor sharp. It will also give them something to chew on rather then the furniture.

orlandothebeagle
02-09-2009, 06:26 AM
I have to say I def do not go with the paper thing, we picked up our pup yesterday, I see no point in training them to paper, if you take them out every hour, when they wake up, when you feed them, you will have very few accidents. Orly our beagle we got at 7 weeks of age, was very good, We picked up Ruby his sister at the weekend, she so far has been good, I just praise her like mad when she pees outside, of course she sleeps in a cage at night, she went to bed with a beanie and a bit of vet bed that she had at her breeders, I had to wake her up to take her out for a pee at 6am, not a sound all night, then she had breakfast, then she went out for a poo, It is time consuming, but I think worth it, You have to do stuff that works for you, I am not telling you to do it this way , no way is right or wrong, just peoples prefferances.

Start as you mean to go on and be consistant!!
Bassets can be stubbern so stick to your guns,

And get it insured!!!!

Have fun with your puppy.

orlandothebeagle
02-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Michelle
I also meant to say re toilet training, I also train my dogs to pee on command, When they pee I say pee,pee, the guide dogs say, busy,busy(not sure why?) any way, it is brilliant if you go on trains or anything like that, eventually you just say it and they pee, my old super smart collie, used to pretend to pee so she could get in if it was raining and she wasnt needing, orly can always squeeze on out though!!

jen_uk
02-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Ask the breeder what food she is having and give her the same, a change in diet can upset their stomaches. Put her out to the toilet as often as possible and then praise loads when she goes. Lots of puppies bite when they are playing, its not hard and doesnt hurt but its important that you don't encourage it at all so she knows not to bite.

tennisfan
02-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I have to say I def do not go with the paper thing, we picked up our pup yesterday, I see no point in training them to paper, if you take them out every hour, when they wake up, when you feed them, you will have very few accidents. Orly our beagle we got at 7 weeks of age, was very good, We picked up Ruby his sister at the weekend, she so far has been good, I just praise her like mad when she pees outside, of course she sleeps in a cage at night, she went to bed with a beanie and a bit of vet bed that she had at her breeders, I had to wake her up to take her out for a pee at 6am, not a sound all night, then she had breakfast, then she went out for a poo, It is time consuming, but I think worth it, You have to do stuff that works for you, I am not telling you to do it this way , no way is right or wrong, just peoples prefferances.

Start as you mean to go on and be consistant!!
Bassets can be stubbern so stick to your guns,

And get it insured!!!!

Have fun with your puppy.

I meant to say put the paper down at night in case of any accidents

orlandothebeagle
02-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I meant to say put the paper down at night in case of any accidents

O, that makes sense but a lot of folks do train them to pee on paper.
Which may be the way to go, that was just mho?
Jen uk, I totally agree except the bit about biting not hurting, Ruby bit Orlys ear tonight and he screamed, I threw my coffee all over the place, she had bit me earlie and I thoght I was being a wimp but Orlys right, its blooming sore!!

If the breeder tell you to feed it things like,milk,cheese,wheetabixscrambled egg, save yourself the bother and just dont! good puppy food is perfect with water, have you any piccys??

elliotps932
02-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Wen you pick her up take a towel/blanket with you and rub it round mum, so it will have the scent on...we also put a hot water bottle in the bed and left the radio on at night when Jarvis was a pup

Get ready for a few sleepless nights ;)

oh cool

madmumof2
02-10-2009, 07:50 AM
A big thing to remember when disciplining/praising is that you must do it straight away. They don't understand why they're being told off/priased after 5 seconds or so. After that it's completely pointless. If you've missed the opportunity, don't bother, it won't have any affect. I'm always seeing people tell off their dogs ages after they've done something and the poor thing hasn't got a clue why it's being shouted at. It's horrible.

Also, make sure you're always above her. She has to understand from day 1 that you and your family rank higher than her. Make sure she is on the floor when you're on the settee/bed etc never the other way around.

Same with food. You and your family must eat first and she should wait until everyone is finished before she can eat. That's a bit more difficult as puppies as they eat more often, but especially with your main meal, make sure she eats after you.

And short sharp sounds work much better than long commands/shouting. Eg, if they're about to do something naughty say 'Ah!' fairly loudly and sharply rather than 'stop it'. :D

shellbell
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone theres some great tips here!:)

natalielongstaff
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone theres some great tips here!:)

Can't wait to see some pics :thumbsup2

shellbell
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's Daisy at 6 weeks... :goodvibes

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7673/quietgirlfrontgo4.th.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quietgirlfrontgo4.jpg)
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3677/n64739238312900061074fk3.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n64739238312900061074fk3.jpg)
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6751/quietgirlwi5.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quietgirlwi5.jpg)

orlandothebeagle
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread but here is ruby , she was 7 weeks on sunday when we picked her up, she is utterly adorable, just like Daisy(love the name)
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/lynnezabek/ruby.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/lynnezabek/orlys%20sister/003-2.jpg

Ive got better picys at home but I am at work right now.

It is so exciting, I bet you cant wait to pick daisy up.

Ware Bears
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Ooh this is a dangerous thread :scared1: pictures of puppies always make me broody! :rotfl:

orlandothebeagle
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
This is the one I was trying to find
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/lynnezabek/rubyandorly.jpg

orlandothebeagle
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Ooh this is a dangerous thread :scared1: pictures of puppies always make me broody! :rotfl:

I agree, however, my hands are like pin cushions, I am tired as no sleep today,I stress to get home to her and I am like a jack in the box every time she looks like she might wee!! but I love her already!! :confused3

wildwood
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Any tips on how to stop my beagel eating her bedding , she is 14mths old and no matter what we give her to sleep on be it a pillow , quilt or blanket she likes to pull it apart . She will do this with any soft furnishings including my sofa and cushions .

It is funny to read your tips on toliet training I tell poppy to go pee pee and she will , but I am sure she does the fake wee just to please me , they are so crafty .

natalielongstaff
02-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Aww great pics, her ears are sooo long !!

jjk
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
aww lovely pictures :goodvibes

jackieleanne
02-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Aww lovely pics I love puppies.

tennisfan
02-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Lovely pics:thumbsup2

wicket2005
02-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Lovely photos.

orlandothebeagle
02-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Any tips on how to stop my beagel eating her bedding , she is 14mths old and no matter what we give her to sleep on be it a pillow , quilt or blanket she likes to pull it apart . She will do this with any soft furnishings including my sofa and cushions .

It is funny to read your tips on toliet training I tell poppy to go pee pee and she will , but I am sure she does the fake wee just to please me , they are so crafty .

Does she do it when in her cage? You should cage train her if not, you could try spraying her bed with bittter apple spray, Orly was a devil(still is)
Have you tried giving her something else to chew on??
The behaviourist at my work suggested (when orly was a year and half/teenager) frozen kongs, it really really worked, you fill them with sloppy dog food or mushed up dry food then freeze them, it takes around an hour to finish them, the whole point is to give them something to do so when they are alone or in bed they sleep. We invested around 50 quid on several kongs and used to alway have a few frozen! I the summer we froze dilut orange squosh or gravy and he went outside for hours with them,mind and cut norm food back though, you dont want a portly beagle

http://www.kongcompany.com/

Have a look, at the web site! good luck

mandymouse
02-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Aww, they are so cute. Thanks for sharing your pics :)

Pinky166
02-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Lovely photos - I love the one of Ruby under the table, my pup used to lay under our coffee table until she got too big & got stuck. :lmao:

I second the Kong suggestion, we use them with our two boxers. We haven't done the frozen ones but will give that a go :thumbsup2 , we usually spread some marmite or peanut butter around the inside, it keeps them busy as it takes a while to get it all out.

thelittlemermaid83
02-11-2009, 06:17 AM
What lovely photos.

wildwood
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks I will give them a go , she does not go in a cage when we are out she has a plastic bed in the kitchen and this is where she is when she goes to bed . She has a nylon bone which she chews on and she also gets a hide shoe ever evening , but she just loves getting stuffing out of things

Snowy-girls
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry Michelle no advice from me(now if it was a cat you had-different story),but just wanted to say how cute Daisy is,my Nan+Grandad always kept basset hounds,they are a very stubborn breed,but soooooooo gorgeous.But no so gorgeous when there big long floppy ears got in there food+then they shook there head+you ended up with chum in your hair+on your face :lmao: .x.

Lynne-Ruby is addorable.x.

Pinky166
02-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Ohhh I didn't see the pics of Daisy earlier......she is so cute! I love the long ears. :cutie:

orlandothebeagle
02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I know arnt her ears adorable, you will have to make sure you dont stand on them,:goodvibes

Graeme
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Daisy looks fab! And from god's country as well. I got Dora, my cocker, from Redcar which is just down the road from me. She's going back to the breeder tomorrow for a haircut. :thumbsup2

Snowy-girls
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Daisy looks fab! And from god's country as well. I got Dora, my cocker, from Redcar which is just down the road from me. She's going back to the breeder tomorrow for a haircut. :thumbsup2

Oh Graeme please post an updated pic of Dora,i remember you showing her as a puppy on here when you first got her.x.

Graeme
02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh Graeme please post an updated pic of Dora,i remember you showing her as a puppy on here when you first got her.x.

She rarely sits still long enough for me to get a decent photo these days! This was post-haircut yesterday. Snow is for eating apparently.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/graeme0723/Dorainsnow096.jpg

Minniespal
02-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Lovely piccies of Daisy:thumbsup2

Lizzybear
02-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Gorgeous pups everyone :goodvibes I can't wait to get a dog one day, just want to wait until we have a house with easy access to a garden/yard (in an upstairs flat at the moment and I don't really agree with making dogs 'go' in a litter box)

LeCras
02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Oooh lovely puppies! :goodvibes

We got another beagle the weekend before last, a rescue from the local animal shelter who is just three weeks younger than Milo. He's settled in really well, and they already squeeze together in one of the dog beds at night.

My number one puppy tip would be: start as you mean to carry on, and be consistent. Don't bend the rules, it will just confuse the puppy.

I would also encourage you to clicker train your new arrival. And I agree with having commands for getting the dog to do its business. Ours is 'go toilet' :thumbsup2.

Final tip is...take LOTS of pictures! They grow up so quickly, I really wish we had taken much more pics of Milo when he was a baby... :lovestruc

Oh, and here's a pic of our rescue, Micki:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/lecras/IMG_1193.jpg

Charlotte

Snowy-girls
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks Graeme-Dora is getting on lovely-she is so pretty.x.

Charlotte-Micki is very handsome,i like to hear that people get there animals from homes/shelters-so they can have happiness as well as shop bought ones-hope that makes sense.x.

shellbell
02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Everyones Puppys and dogs are so cute. Were picking Daisy up on saturday and were very excited but very nervous at the same time! :)

orlandothebeagle
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Oooh lovely puppies! :goodvibes

We got another beagle the weekend before last, a rescue from the local animal shelter who is just three weeks younger than Milo. He's settled in really well, and they already squeeze together in one of the dog beds at night.

My number one puppy tip would be: start as you mean to carry on, and be consistent. Don't bend the rules, it will just confuse the puppy.

I would also encourage you to clicker train your new arrival. And I agree with having commands for getting the dog to do its business. Ours is 'go toilet' :thumbsup2.

Final tip is...take LOTS of pictures! They grow up so quickly, I really wish we had taken much more pics of Milo when he was a baby... :lovestruc

Oh, and here's a pic of our rescue, Micki:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/lecras/IMG_1193.jpg

Charlotte

He is so pretty.
Our beagle used to run away all the time, i used to shout like an idiot, this guy I met up the forrest said" you should clicker train him" yeah right!! unles I could hit him on the back of the head with it to take him down it would be no good what so ever!!!!:rotfl:

Everyones Puupys and dogs are so cute. Were picking Daisy up on saturday and were very excited but very nervous at the same time! :)

Oh I bet you cant wait!!
It is just so exciting