PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where to get a letter translated from English to Spanish?

kazzie
05-24-2002, 03:16 AM
I am staying in a hotel in Spain at the end of August. I have an important couple of requests to make of them,most importantly to book one room as a late check out room (this was offered to pre-book with all the tour operators except the one I booked with).I have e-mailed twice and not received a reply,so I phoned them.Someone who spoke very good English said I should fax my letter as they're having problems with thier e-mail.This I've done twice and still heard nothing back.

I figured it might get a response if my letter was in Spanish ;) .When I did a search on the internet,there are either software you need to buy to do this or a company that will charge to translate the letter for me they are based in Miami!.I e-mailed the letter to them,thinking I might go up to $15 when I received the quote it was for........$273!!

Does anyone have any advice/information on this please?

Much appreciated:D

Hilary
05-24-2002, 04:52 AM
Try babel fish. It's an amazing programme, but I've no idea whether it's accurate!

babel fish (http://world.altavista.com/)

neilybealy
05-24-2002, 05:37 AM
try here....

SYSTRAN (http://www.systransoft.com/)

Neil

Goofyish
05-24-2002, 07:13 AM
Have you posted on the US community boards - I'm sure there are quite a few Spanish speaking Americans on the boards who could help you.

kazzie
05-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Many thanks to you all.

I will look in to all of those ideas:)

Hamther
05-24-2002, 05:03 PM
YOu can also try this one Karen:

http://www.alis.com:8080/cgi-bin/transdemo.pl

If you type your text in English into the text box (or cut and paste your doc into it) then select English to Spanish - !Allí usted lo tiene! (there you have it!)

It works brilliantly and it is Absolutamente gratis!

Cheers

Jackie

kazzie
05-25-2002, 03:38 PM
I have translated my letter on the above sites.Two use the same software so I have two translations.They are hilariosly very different!
I will fax them both and between the two translations hopefully they will get the 'gist' of my requests!

I know it was presumptious to send a letter to Spain in English and expect a reply but I 'phoned them and they spoke English and said it would be fine.

So fingers crossed that a letter in their native tongue will prompt a response!

PS....Hi Jackie I haven't 'seen' you for a long time:)

BONZO
05-27-2002, 03:15 AM
Karen,

I have a student from Spain here in the office, soif you want to fax or mail it over, I'll get it translated for you.

kazzie
05-27-2002, 09:35 AM
Shaun,
That would be brilliant.I faxed off the letters I have and still no reply:confused:

Would you PM me your fax no and could I fax it over tomorrow?

Thanks awfully:D

BONZO
05-27-2002, 09:40 AM
PM on its way!

kazzie
05-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Shaun,
You're a *:D

I have used some BS in the letter to try to get what I want!

Tell your colleague to feel free to re-word any bits he thinks neccessary;)

Many Thanks
Kaz xx

BONZO
05-30-2002, 04:33 AM
Kazzie,

My man is in the case!

I'll keep you posted by PM.