PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free in Disney World? HELP

pfp258
01-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anyone had experience eating gluten free in Disney? Is is difficult?:confused3

Bob P
01-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi,

This link may help you:

http://allears.net/din/special.htm

steve76
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
My sister is a coeliac (cannot eat gluten). We went to Disney April-May last year and managed fine. We took some gluten-free food to the parks in case we couldn't find anything to eat but did not really need them.

We had read the information from AllEars (which Bob has posted above). For the most part at Counter-Service restaurants there was enough different stuff for there to be one or two options which were available to her. We found that Pizza Planet in Hollywood Studios do gluten-free pizzas on request (but they do take quite a long time to cook) which she was very pleased about.

The only Table Service meals we had there were at Kona Cafe and Jikos. Both were excellent. The chef (at Kona) and our server (at Jikos) walked through the menu and pointed out exactly what was and was not gluten-free. Where meals were not gluten-free, they offered to either change what it was served with or create special gluten-free versions (of sauces etc.). There were only two or three items from each restaurant which were totally off limits. In each case they did everything they could to help us, and (unlike most restaurants in the real world) the servers did actually seem to know what they were talking about. We were very impressed.

If you are making ADRs for table service, I suggest you mention when booking that you cannot eat gluten, and mention again when you check in, and again when you meet your server.

Before our last trip, we were a little anxious about being able to eat at Disney. Our next trip is in December 2009, and we are on the Deluxe Dining Plan - i.e. not worried at all. :thumbsup2

Cheshire Figment
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum.

jmkrat
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I have celiac's myself and go to Disney about every year. The are wonderful with special diets. Make sure when you make your ADR's you tell them how many in your party need gluten free meals. When you get to the restaurant tell the hostess and then tell your server. They will have it noted, but tell them any way. They will get a Chef to come out and talk to you. I have had many great meals throughout Disney. I have PM'd you, please read when you can. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

jandj524
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Not to worry-just make sure you mention your food intolerance to the reservation agent and then again when you check in. The chef will come to your table and will personally care for your meal to ensure no cross-contamination. If you go to a buffet, the chef will walk you through and advise on what is safe and what is not, they will also make you something special if you want back in the kitchen. My husband has Celiac and we travel to Disney a few times a year as he always feels safe eating out in WDW.

Enjoy!:)