PDA

View Full Version : Making ADR for more people than actually come

MeredithRX
01-31-2009, 05:59 PM
We are having somewhat of an issue because we are taking a few extended family members with us on our trip in September.

I have been mapping out our plan for our family and will be making our ADRs as soon as our window opens. My problem is that I do not know whether or not these other family members will want to eat with us or do their own thing (and that might change from one day to the next). My feeling is that it's safer to go ahead and make the reservations for all of us, but there would be some/several instances where not all of us would attend.

So, if I were to make all these reservations for 7-8 people but only 5 (our immediate family) were to show up at our reservation time, would that be a huge problem? I would assume it would be a lot better than booking it for 5 and then having people want to join us (which would be pretty impossible).

Would we get in trouble doing it this way?

Also, would we be less likely to get reservations with a larger party size? If we were to ask for 8 spots, is it likely to be harder to get in than just with 5?

Thanks! I'm trying to make this as enjoyable and conflict-free for everyone as possible! :rotfl2:

MeredithRX
02-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Anyone know?

SAHDad
02-01-2009, 09:33 AM
On a previous trip, I made ADRs for 13 or 14 people, and eventually we only had 12 show. Showing up with fewer than originally indicated did not cause any problems of which I was aware. I suspect, but do not know for certain, that making ADRs for 8 is slightly more difficult than it is for 5, but if you are making them as early as possible, and can be a little flexible in your times, then you should have no problems.

Figaro8398
02-01-2009, 09:38 AM
We had some indecisive family members during our last trip.
I booked ADRs for 8 of us at 180 days and had no trouble getting what we wanted. The only restaurant that we were told we may be split to two tables was at Coral Reef.
As it turned out, the extended family chose to go to only two or three meals with us. We were down to 5 for most of our reservations. When we checked in, some of the CMs asked how many were in our party, and if not, I shared that we were going to be a smaller party. It was never a big deal.

Ariel on Land
02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I asked about this when making ADRs a few weeks ago, as we're in a similar situation. The CM said if I had called back to change the ADR, they'd have to reissue a new confirmation, which could lose our ressie. She did however say that she had to make a few of ours a table for four and a table for 2, and if they had to drop that meal, it'd be no big deal. I suppose we could have just shown up w/out them, but then that might be preventing others from making an ADR and getting to eat somewhere they'd really like to!