PDA

View Full Version : best mexican food at the park

old lady
01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
In your opinion , which place serves the best?

SlipKid918
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
I love El Pirata y El Perico for their taco salads. Unfortunately, that place has only been open two out of my last five trips to WDW, but luckily last time (March 2008) was one of them! San Angel Inn in Epcot is also really good and is a must do for me every trip.

roselark
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Depends entirely upon what you consider good. I will not eat Mexican at WDW because it is all extremely sub-par to what I am used to. I should also explain that Mexican is by far my favorite food type and my standards tend to be pretty high.

Meriweather
01-31-2009, 05:38 PM
I haven't found good Mexican food there either :(
Grown up in a large Hispanic area of CA and visiting AZ a lot, I love Mexican food.
The "best" we have found is the cantina at the Mexico pavilion.

Micca
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't understand why there aren't more Mexican or Tex-Mex offerings at WDW. Mexican food, or the Amercian equivalent of it, is very popular throughout the U.S., why not at WDW?

Another odd thought is that this food is pretty inexpensive to prepare, and could be very profitable with the usual WDW markup.

Maybe the familarity of it is the reason there isn't more of it on the menus?
WDW isn't exactly a haven for great burgers or pizza either.:confused3

Rebelmom67
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Mexican food at the world is - crap on a cracker. Sorry, I haven't found any palatable mexican food there.

disneymomof2boyz
01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Best Mexican that I've found has been at the Cantina. There are some good plates there, but this is purely opinion and I find that it depends on where you live. There was another thread about Tony's Town Square on the boards and what everyone found is that Italian food is purely opinion as well. Those who live in an area of abundant Italians have a very high standard of "authentic" Italian. And those that don't like Italian food such as Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. I think it's the same thing w/ Mexican food.

One thing that you can count on is people having COMPLETE different opinions on food here on the DIS. What some love, others hate and vice versa. My opinion, is if you love Mexican...give it a try and see for yourself.:)
We like it.:thumbsup2

(Sorry if this was long!) lol

cpayne1997
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
I too was not at all excited by the food at San Angel Inn (Epcot). Maybe my expectations we too high, but I can get better Mexican food in Atlanta!

GoofyKidd
01-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Skip San Angel Inn in Mexico-we hated it-but the environment is pretty cool.

cpayne1997
01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Skip San Angel Inn in Mexico-we hated it-but the environment is pretty cool.

That is true the environment does make it cool...it really is a shame that the food is not better!

AustinTink
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Having grown up in a border town and traveled extensively through Mexico, I have to defend the San Angel. It is very typical interior of Mexico style food. The food in the interior is nothing like the food we get in the states. It's lighter in general and doesn't have all the grease and heavy sauces we love in the US. So, if you're expecting something more familiar, know that you won't get that at the San Angel. If you'd like to try truly authentic Mexican food, then give it a shot. Just know there's not going to be a chili soaked burrito or loaded nachos on the menu. Plus the atmosphere is pretty darn cool.

MickeyNicki
02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
There isnt any.....POR used to have a great taco salad and the Pepper Market has pretty good food but as far as the parks go there isnt any

La2kw
02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
You'd have to leave the park to get anything that is even halfway decent Mexican food. But if you don't want to leave the parks, I suppose Cantina de San Angel has the closest thing. The San Angel Inn is really bad, so I wouldn't waste the money.

Qdoba is near the Crossroads Shopping center and Chevy's is inside the Crossroads. Those are slightly better than anything WDW serves.

La2kw
02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Having grown up in a border town and traveled extensively through Mexico, I have to defend the San Angel. It is very typical interior of Mexico style food. The food in the interior is nothing like the food we get in the states. It's lighter in general and doesn't have all the grease and heavy sauces we love in the US. So, if you're expecting something more familiar, know that you won't get that at the San Angel. If you'd like to try truly authentic Mexican food, then give it a shot. Just know there's not going to be a chili soaked burrito or loaded nachos on the menu. Plus the atmosphere is pretty darn cool.

I agree that there is more to authentic Mexican than wet burritos and nachos. However, there is a lot more authentic food here in the states than burritos loaded with sauce. Nachos don't even qualify, IMO. San Angel is very poor quality food and in no way is it more authentic than some of the other items served in the states. Canned salsa and round tortilla chips? You consider that more authentic than what you can find at many excellent Mexican restaurants all over the US?

AustinTink
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree that there is more to authentic Mexican than wet burritos and nachos. However, there is a lot more authentic food here in the states than burritos loaded with sauce. Nachos don't even qualify, IMO. San Angel is very poor quality food and in no way is it more authentic than some of the other items served in the states. Canned salsa and round tortilla chips? You consider that more authentic than what you can find at many excellent Mexican restaurants all over the US?

We never order the salsa and chips. I've never touched canned salsa in my life, I make my own. :) The entrees served at the San Angel are VERY typical of the food in Mexico. I have many family members who live in Mexico and this is the kind of food their housekeepers cook for them on a daily basis. True Mexican food is much closer to food you will find in Spain. It is a style that is not found in the states. Mexican food in the states is VERY AMERICANIZED. Not that it's a bad thing, I love a good cheese enchilada with chili con carne. But that is TEX-MEX. That is all I was saying. I think that Disney was trying to show what food really looks and tastes like in the countries represented in Epcot. They have done a good job with Mexico. And, quality is what it is at Disney. It's not all great, but at least pretty authentic at the San Angel. Sorry to have upset you. :confused3

snow.white
02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry but there is no place in WDW where you will find any good mexican food, unless you consider taco bell type food good mexican food:crazy2:
I am mexican-american and know what authentic mexican food is , unfortunatley it is not to be found at disney:magnify:

Micca
02-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Sorry but there is no place in WDW where you will find any good mexican food, unless you consider taco bell type food good mexican food:crazy2:
I am mexican-american and know what authentic mexican food is , unfortunatley it is not to be found at disney:magnify:

Taco Bell is better than the stuff at WDW. Not sayin' TB is good, but WDW
can't even beat that.
:confused3

mollygirl
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
We had some pretty good fajitas at the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs.

Stacy_C
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
We like Cantina de san Angel and Pepper Market.

BadgerBruce
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
We like the fajitas & quesidillas at Pepper Market. We like El Pirata, when we can find it open. Even taco bell quality would be nice to find in the parks, just to have a different CS option available.

fall08CP
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
The Pepper Market at CSR is a best kept secret. We loooooove their fajitas, nachos, and wet burritos:thumbsup2 There is also a place outside of WDW by DTD at Crossroads called Vallerta(?) and it's fantastic and well-priced.

Aimeedyan
02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
There is no good mexican food at WDW, sorry. The stuff they call authentic food at San Angel is laughable - storebought Tostitos and dumbed down food (though that is the norm for WS now, sadly). The Cantina is a step below Taco Bell, IMO. They used canned nacho cheese. Blech.

It's unfortunate, really.

suzicute20
02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
We liked what we got at Cantina de San Angel - reasonably priced as well.

SuzieN
02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
The Cantina de San Angel is my favorite Cs restaurant in all of WDW!!!

Tbelle1976
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Another vote for Cantina in Epcot! Sorry that not too many seem to like it, but we go here every year for lunch and find it very good.

I have to admit, I live in Ohio and no, I have never had "true/authentic" Mexican food but I'm sure you will enjoy Cantina if you try it.

aubriee
02-03-2009, 03:30 AM
There is no good mexican food at WDW, sorry. The stuff they call authentic food at San Angel is laughable - storebought Tostitos and dumbed down food (though that is the norm for WS now, sadly). The Cantina is a step below Taco Bell, IMO. They used canned nacho cheese. Blech.

It's unfortunate, really.

I agree. Like you I am from Texas (east Texas to be exact), so we have alot of migrant Mexican workers around here. We also have alot of Mexicans who have settled in the area and opened businesses. We have the traditional Mex-Tex restaurants on every corner, but also have the mom and pop places that sell "real traditional Mexican food". The two types of cruisine are very different that's true, but what San Angel Inn prepares is not close to either. It is just YUCK!!! The last time we gave it a chance (for the third time:sad2: ) it was worse than the first time. Our food came out cold and greasy and don't even get me started on the cold store bought Tostitos and jarred salsa.

To the OP: sorry, but we've not found decent Mexican food anywhere in WDW.