PDA

View Full Version : a colorful refillable mug question...

mickeyluv'r
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that WDW guests are willing to repeatedly reuse a mug that hasn't been sanitized? :crazy2: I mean guests would never knowingly allow a CM to serve them from a cup that wasn't sanitized, yet they will self-serve from the same mugs for an entire week. Surely many families end up switching them around among family members. Surely many folks refill a mug that has a sugary residue and was in 90 degree heat all day. It makes me wonder if anyone ever gets sick from using one.:crazy2: :coffee:

Does anyone do anything special to sanitize their mugs?

When I use one, I'll use some of the in-room shampoo (like dish soap?) to wash them in hot water each day. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

Or am I just being paranoid?

KatMark
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
It is only DH and I and we keep ours separate. I rinse them after every use, I soak them in hot water every night in the sink and then rinse them really well in the morning.

JerseyJanice
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I brought a Sharpie last trip and marked everyone's mug with their initial. I also had my brother who lives in Florida bring me a bottle of dish soap which we used to thoroughly clean the mugs.

If I didn't have bro, I'd have sealed a small bottle of dish soap in a Ziploc and packed it in my suitcase.

lacrosse_lady72
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I always bring a one of those pump Soft Soap anti-bacterial soap things that you can get at Target for like a dollar, then just throw it away before we leave.

I like to give it a good cleaning before I go to bed so it's ok for the morning.

Before I fill it up though I use the mug wash they have. Hot water is better than nothing.

lecach
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
In the past we took the Palmolive towelettes that were soapy when you wet them. They don't make those anymore so this year I took a few sponges, cut them into small squares, wet them and soaped them up, let them dry, and then packed in a ziplock. When I wet them at our hotel they will be soapy sponges that I can use and then throw away.

Our very first trip we just rinsed them in hot water but I just thought it was a little gross.

disneygal2007
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I always take a small bottle of dish soap.

Totally Tink
01-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I always take a small bottle of dish soap.

Ditto

RMulieri
01-28-2009, 03:47 PM
when I bought them I used to wash mine after using it.I always carry a small sharpie attached to my backpack for labeling purposes.

PictureJumpr
01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I have an aversion to travelling with liquids I don't need (too many past luggage-leak issues) and so I grab one or two of these before each trip.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0056002518286a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=soap&sort=all&Go.y=9&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ne=2510&nyr=1&N=4450&Go.x=26&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

The bonus is, it's very light and very small and can make it easy to wash hands/faces with bottled water while at a park - i.e., when the kids have been eating ice cream while waiting for the fireworks and we don't want to go wash up in the bathroom with just four minutes to showtime...

In the room it is useful for washing mugs and coffee pots, among other things.

Kae
01-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I rinse them out thats it.

Kae

patsal
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
DVC so I stick them in the dishwasher every night--I stockpiled the palmolive presoaped towelettes--figured they'd go the way of the tide tabs so I take those if we are staying at any other resort.

noahdove
01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I bring dish soap and wash them first before we use them, and then if I want something else in it after I get my coffee, I use the VERY hot water near the coffee/tea area in the food court. At night I wash them again with dish soap and dry them on a wash cloth....no germs for me:)

tndisneyfan
01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I usually run hot water over mine. I'm not sure that helps much but it makes me feel better.

disneyorvegas
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
In the past we took the Palmolive towelettes that were soapy when you wet them. They don't make those anymore so this year I took a few sponges, cut them into small squares, wet them and soaped them up, let them dry, and then packed in a ziplock. When I wet them at our hotel they will be soapy sponges that I can use and then throw away.

I LIKE this idea!!!! You might want to post this on the budget board too!

lecach
01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
I LIKE this idea!!!! You might want to post this on the budget board too!

Where do you think I got the idea? ;) Everything I know I learned on the DIS :cheer2:

POOHDRMR
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I bring a travel size shampoo bottle with dish soap and a sponge in a ziploc bag and wash them.I used to do this for sippy cups when my dd was smaller too.

PattnFmly
01-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Ditto: the sharpie's to mark everyone's mug with initials; small container of dish soap and a sponge that gets thrown away before we leave. After breakfast each morning, when we take that **last trip** back to the room before going to the park I take a quick moment to wash everyone's mug and set them upside down on a towel on the table. Mousekeeping leaves them be and they are clean and ready for our use when we return that night. Minimal germs! :goodvibes

vs1023
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I cleaned ours out every night but since i only drink water, it didn't effect me much. DH does soda and fruit punch so he had more cleaning to do :lol:

PaulaSB12
01-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Does anyone else find it odd that WDW guests are willing to repeatedly reuse a mug that hasn't been sanitized? :crazy2: I mean guests would never knowingly allow a CM to serve them from a cup that wasn't sanitized, yet they will self-serve from the same mugs for an entire week. Surely many families end up switching them around among family members. Surely many folks refill a mug that has a sugary residue and was in 90 degree heat all day. It makes me wonder if anyone ever gets sick from using one.:crazy2: :coffee:

Does anyone do anything special to sanitize their mugs?

When I use one, I'll use some of the in-room shampoo (like dish soap?) to wash them in hot water each day. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

Or am I just being paranoid?

I go solo so only I drink from the mug and if there are bugs in it they are already in me so why worry.

PrincessTrisha
01-29-2009, 05:31 AM
My mom and I regularly end up switching mugs throughout our stay (my dad not so much since he drinks coffee and the lingering smell of cream makes me gag).

We just rinse them out or wipe them with a face cloth and we're good to go.

Never got sick from a mug - I just don't understand all the fuss?

emmabemmainc
01-29-2009, 06:13 AM
We just rinsed our's out right after we were done--plus, I never took mine anywhere except back to our room. I don't get taking them to a park--I have enough stuff to carry around, I don't need 2 more big cups.

I didn't need to label our's (just 2 of us in our room)--me and my daughter--and I kiss her everyday, so who cares if I drank out of her mug?

No sickness here and we just went last week! :thumbsup2

NMW
01-29-2009, 06:45 AM
I always bring a pump bottle of Dial handsoap for us to use at the hotel. I just wash the mugs with that soap. I do think they got all mixed up between the 5 of us though. Next trip I am bringing a sharpie!

goofy4tink
01-29-2009, 07:05 AM
We mark each person's mug so there isn't any sharing of a cup. Then, each night they get washed..soap and water (we use dish detergent). Then, they get rinsed with hot water after each use.
We usually use our with straws, so it isn't a huge issue to begin with.

mickeyluv'r
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I use the VERY hot water near the coffee/tea area in the food court.

This is a great idea, and now that I see you mention it, I think I did the same thing once when I got to the food court and realized that the mug I had grabbed somehow hadn't been rinsed out.

Truthfully, DH and I will swap or share a mug at times...with other family members I'm a little more cautious.

I also like the idea of soap wafers or soap sponges.

While I don't recall a time I've gotten sick at WDW personally....I'm pretty careful to rinse out he mugs promptly after use as well. I also don't usually put anything with sugar in it. Still, you have to take time to really get in around the lid. I'm sure those lids propertywide are trapping fermenting milk, bacteria loving apple juice from Pop, etc. (I dunno, maybe nothing can live in Coke.:lmao: )

It really just amazes me that guests are so accepting of the mugs and how clean they are...

I also know that Medela makes no-rinse wipes that are made to sanitize plastic breast pump parts, but I've never tried them. I wonder if anybody has used those (or somethign similar) for mugs at WDW?

Mike2023
01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Really, all you need is a good rinse with hot water, assuming you don't let anything sit in there for a long period of time.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
My family and I clean our mugs out by pooring hot water in them by the drink station.

ExPirateShopGirl
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I like to let the nescafe residue build up in mine with each use. This way at the end of the 10 day trip the fresh 'coffee' in the mug looks dark enough to be real coffee.

:thumbsup2

Totally Tink
01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I like to let the nescafe residue build up in mine with each use. This way at the end of the 10 day trip the fresh 'coffee' in the mug looks dark enough to be real coffee.

:thumbsup2

:lmao: DH makes sure he never gets my mug due to the nescrap! He knows it's mine when it has the residue!

Disnsyncey
01-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I like the colored handles, so I only get mine......and I rinse it out when I switch drinks.....I revel in my own germs :)

nascarcheshirecat
01-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I do the hot water wash when i buy it, and do the lid too. :goodvibes

lov2b@disney
01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
We also bring dish soap and a sponge in a ziplock bag.