PDA

View Full Version : Hi there from Connecticut!!

Kaybear79
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi there everyone!!

I just wanted to pop in and say Hi to everyone!

My name is Karen and I'm 29. I am married to Vinny and he is in the Navy. We have 2 daughters who are 4 and 2. Since Disney has brought back their Armed Forces Salute, we are taking advantage of it this year and bumping our 2010 Disney trip up. lol!

We will be going on July. Yes, Yes, I know, it's a hot time of year to go. But the Navy doesn't give us much choice. We go when he can take leave. And that is when he'll be able to take it.

I am very excited though and can't wait. This trip we'll be staying on site at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We've never stayed on site before and I am looking forward to it very much!

And we also got the dining plan. We've never done it before so this is new to us. So, any advice on places to eat will be appreciated. I haven't roamed this site too much yet, I'm sure there is a restaraunt forum here that I will check out for sure though.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

micheleq
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the DIS! :cool1:

Have a great trip, we just got back from a trip in December with our daughters, 3 1/2 & 1 1/2, and had a wonderful time. DH and I stayed at CBR in 2001 and really enjoyed it.

You'll find lots of great info. here, and there is a great thread on the Resorts board about CBR by SafetyMom. Answers to any question you can think of!

Have fun planning :goodvibes

tinkerlisa
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Kaybear~ I live in Mystic! Not far from you!
For an eating tip: Try Chef Mickey's. We haven't done that Character Meal yet but plan on it when we go in September!
Doing the dining plan is great but its so much food! Try splitting meals. It stretches your meal credits. I like doing it because if we didn't we wouldn't eat at half the places we go to eat!:flower3:

collcass
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Welcome!

We are about 20 min north of you, give or take a few.

Have fun planning and enjoy your trip. We were there for nearly 3 weeks last July. There were only a few days we thought we'd actually melt. It was hot the entire time, but manageable.

Tinkbellfan
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Okay we need to have a ladies night and talk about Disney! I live in Mystic too!! I'm a block away from the Seaport. Tinkerlisa - Mystic is a small town, I'm sure we know some of the same people!

Kaybear - welcome to the Dis and I hope you enjoy the trip. I have been in late June and July. It's very hot and crowded so make sure you factor that into your planning. Have you ever thought about staying at Shades of Green. We have a very good friend in the Navy (a Captain stationed in Groton too) and they always stay there for a very good price. I think it is based on your rank.

Kaybear79
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow!! A couple people from Mystic! How cool is that?!?!? Well, chances are I've seen you guys before if you shop at McQuades. I work the front end there. lol!!

We did think about staying at Shades of Green. But with the deal that Disney is giving us this year, we got CBR cheaper than we would have SOG. Disney wasn't including SOG in their 40% off deal. One day we will stay there though.

I can't wait to have more time to explore this site. My husband found it and sent it on to me. He's already been on here ALOT and has found out alot of info.

THANKS EVERYONE!!

MarkinNM
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
:welcome:

magicaldisney
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/Lunow/welcome-1.gif

trinaweena
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm also from CT although I'm way up more by Hartford!

Welcome! I'll be there july as well and March, what are your dates in july?

dukyluky
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
We'll be there July 23-30.

July can't get here soon enough! lol!!

dukyluky
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Oops, didn't realize my husband was logged on....lol!

Still on his name.....lol......

Off to log him off and me on.

Paul in CT
01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Welcome aboard!! Thank your DH for his service to our country and thank you for supporting him!!! :thumbsup2 I am glad to see that Disney is finally offering a break to those in the Armed Forces again. IMHO, they should do so more often, not just during tough economic times for the company.

You will love Caribbean Beach. That is the first on property resort at which we stayed as a family in 1989. We, too, had to travel in the summer because of school schedules. Just be sure to park hop, one in the morning and one in the evening with a break in the afternoon at the pool or for taking naps. ;)

We never had the dining plan, but one great place to go that most will tell you to dine is Le Cellier. It is a tough reservation to get becuase the food is very good and it is only one dining credit. Good luck!

I would also suggest with the ages of your kids a good character breakfast at Chef Mickey's or at Crystal Palace if they like the Pooh Characters. I have heard that CP has one of the best dinner buffets. My DW and I plan to try it on our next visit. :goodvibes

For counter service at EPCOT, Sunshine Seasons at the Land is very good for breakfast and lunch/dinner. Be sure to try the desserts at the bakery in "France". You will get many excellent tips on the trip planning forum and in the DIS dining reviews.

Enjoy the planning and most of all, your trip to WDW! :)

Metro West
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/10.gif

Tinkbellfan
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, chances are I've seen you guys before if you shop at McQuades. I work the front end there. lol!!

Karen,
I was there today around 2pm! I shop at McQuades all the time. I even know Michael from sailing against him. The only front end lady I know is Kathy Lee.
I'll look for you next time I am there!

disneyaggies
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Have Fun!

Kaybear79
01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Karen,
I was there today around 2pm! I shop at McQuades all the time. I even know Michael from sailing against him. The only front end lady I know is Kathy Lee.

I loove Kathy Lee. She was the first person to speak to me (other than supervisors) back when I started there in 1999. She is such a great lady! When I am there, I am supervising, so I'm all over the place. I'm short, short dark hair with glasses. Not to be confused with the front end manager who is also named Karen...lol!! It's confusing every time we are working at the same time. lmao!!

Carol23
01-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm also from Ct, but! :wave2: I'm all the way on the other side of the state, near New Haven and Bridgeport! :coffee: I am SOOOO excited to go to Disney!!!!! :cheer2: I CAN'T WAIT!!! pixiedust: :cool1:

mickeyluvr004
01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi All I also am from Connecticut I live in East Hampton kinda half way to Vernon and half way to Groton My husband works at Millstone and that is 37 miles one way. One thing if your daughters are into the princesses the one at 1900 park fare at the Grand Floridian is AWESOME it has Cinderella, Prince, the stepsisters (totally worth seeing) and the Stepmother (also worth seeing) and that is one point from the dining plan are you getting the free dining? Also the Cinderella's castle also worth the 2 points but if you get the free dining the tip is included, we are going in Sept :cool1: :cool1: can't wait if I can help you with anything eles just hollar ok

tinkerlisa
01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Karen,

Man Sorry guys but I shop at Big Y in Groton! I actually forgot Mystic even had a Mcquades!:rotfl: I need to get out more!

tinkerlisa
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi All I also am from Connecticut I live in East Hampton kinda half way to Vernon and half way to Groton My husband works at Millstone and that is 37 miles one way. One thing if your daughters are into the princesses the one at 1900 park fare at the Grand Floridian is AWESOME it has Cinderella, Prince, the stepsisters (totally worth seeing) and the Stepmother (also worth seeing) and that is one point from the dining plan are you getting the free dining? Also the Cinderella's castle also worth the 2 points but if you get the free dining the tip is included, we are going in Sept :cool1: :cool1: can't wait if I can help you with anything eles just hollar ok

mickeyluvr004~What are your dates? We are going down the 6th to the 12th.
Actually my fiance and I are getting married at Sea Breeze Point on the 9th!:goodvibes

Tinkbellfan
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Actually my fiance and I are getting married at Sea Breeze Point on the 9th!:goodvibes

Congrats on the Disney Wedding!

Big Y has amazing produce, but sometimes it's just too big. Mystic McQuades is just the right size and only about 4 minutes from my dd's school and 4 minutes to home. Perfect!

Kaybear - I would also recommend the Crystal Palace in MK for lunch. During the summer, it's really nice to get out of the heat and crowds and sit down in the AC for an hour. The Pooh characters come to your table and the kids have alittle one on one with them. Great photo ops! The food isn't too bad either. It will take a sit down meal credit on your dinning plan, but it's a good option for your MK day. Then chill out by the pool and do pizza take out for dinner! After a day at MK in the summer, you need some time to relax by pool!

Snow day tomorrow in Mystic? My dd is certainly wishing for one!

Simba22
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Howdy neighbor! :wave: I'm in Stratford! Ready for the snow??? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are going back sooner than you thought! My brother is in the Marines and he usually comes to WDW with us but he thinks he might be getting deployed :crazy2: which means he won't be able to come! I hope he can! What a shame it would be if he can't take advantage of all of the Military discounts Disney is offering right now! We'll see, I guess!

I'm also from Ct, but! :wave2: I'm all the way on the other side of the state, near New Haven and Bridgeport! :coffee: I am SOOOO excited to go to Disney!!!!! :cheer2: I CAN'T WAIT!!! pixiedust: :cool1:
Hey Carol! We are pretty close! When we went to WDW in March, our server at Yak & Yeti was from Hamden lol I couldn't help thinking to myself "it's a small world after all...." :rotfl2:

tinkerlisa
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Congrats on the Disney Wedding!

Big Y has amazing produce, but sometimes it's just too big. Mystic McQuades is just the right size and only about 4 minutes from my dd's school and 4 minutes to home. Perfect!

Kaybear - I would also recommend the Crystal Palace in MK for lunch. During the summer, it's really nice to get out of the heat and crowds and sit down in the AC for an hour. The Pooh characters come to your table and the kids have alittle one on one with them. Great photo ops! The food isn't too bad either. It will take a sit down meal credit on your dinning plan, but it's a good option for your MK day. Then chill out by the pool and do pizza take out for dinner! After a day at MK in the summer, you need some time to relax by pool!

Does your daughter go to Dean's Mill or Northeast Academy? Just wondering. we might have met if she goes to Northeast. My son hates it when there is no school on Thursdays(its art day) so he is stoked he may get to stay home tommorrow. he says he doesn't like wednesdays because there is no special that day
I am doing Crystal Palace for dinner after my wedding! Something to keep the kiddies happy! I heard its excellent! I am actually mainly doing it because I want to see "WISHES" that night! And hopefully Spectro magic!

tinkerlisa
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Howdy neighbor! :wave: I'm in Stratford! Ready for the snow??? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are going back sooner than you thought! My brother is in the Marines and he usually comes to WDW with us but he thinks he might be getting deployed :crazy2: which means he won't be able to come! I hope he can! What a shame it would be if he can't take advantage of all of the Military discounts Disney is offering right now! We'll see, I guess!

Hey Carol! We are pretty close! When we went to WDW in March, our server at Yak & Yeti was from Hamden lol I couldn't help thinking to myself "it's a small world after all...." :rotfl2:

I didn't know they did military discounts! I knew about shades of green but they have discounts for it? My sis's hubby is in the army and i am hoping they can make it to my wedding. Do you know what the discount is for and what dates?
my sis and her hubby are worried that he may get deployed again too. He was in Iraq for a while but got sent home on medical. He was 50 yards(i think or maybe 50 feet i cant remember) from a car bomb and got hit with shrapnel in his leg.

Tinkbellfan
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Tinkerlisa - military discount is a new offer they are currently having. I think it is quite a nice % off. I think you can find more details on the forums home page at the top. I hope he is recovering from his injuries. I can't even imagine the stress and worry. Please send him our prayers and I hope he can make it to your wedding. CP for dinner will be wonderful. It is so much fun for the kids (and adults). The Pooh gang has always been a favorite of mine (next to Tinkerbell of course).

My daughter goes to an independent school in Stonington called Pine Point. It's a wonderful school! We are also lucky to have a great public school system in our area too! Lets hope the taxpayers don't cut the budget anymore than last year!

Well, the wooden spoon is under the pillow in hopes for a snow day. I even flushed an ice cube for added luck. :scratchin I just do as I am told by the dd!

Kaybear79
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM

DH is making our dining itinerary. However, Crystal Palace is the ONLY place I told him we HAD to go. *I* want to dine with Pooh Bear and friends. lol!! My first tattoo was of Pooh Bear. He is my hero. lmao!! So we will definitely be dining there at some point.

wifeofjack
01-28-2009, 05:19 AM
Good morning fellow Connecticut Disers. I am a Ct. transplant, have lived here 38 years. I live with my DH about 15 miles from New Haven in a small town. I still do not like all the snow and cold weather, but looks like I have to put up with it for another 5 or 6 years until I retire.
Anyway, OP, glad you found the Disboards and hope you get as much information from them as I have in the past few years. Hubby and I have been to Disney about 10 times, our next trip is planned for September, we love it there.
Wish I was there this morning, don't like the idea of going out to clean off the car to drive to work in this messy weather. I know that Floridians complain when the temp gets down to 50 - 60, but right now I would enjoy that!

tinkerlisa
01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Tinkerlisa - military discount is a new offer they are currently having. I think it is quite a nice % off. I think you can find more details on the forums home page at the top. I hope he is recovering from his injuries. I can't even imagine the stress and worry. Please send him our prayers and I hope he can make it to your wedding. CP for dinner will be wonderful. It is so much fun for the kids (and adults). The Pooh gang has always been a favorite of mine (next to Tinkerbell of course).

My daughter goes to an independent school in Stonington called Pine Point. It's a wonderful school! We are also lucky to have a great public school system in our area too! Lets hope the taxpayers don't cut the budget anymore than last year!

Well, the wooden spoon is under the pillow in hopes for a snow day. I even flushed an ice cube for added luck. :scratchin I just do as I am told by the dd!

I know Pine Point! There was a boy down the road from me who when I was a kid who went there. I actually considered it for my son, but couldn't afford tuition at the time. Now that we are a little better(even in this crappy economy), I feel bad thinking about switching him since he is used to his school. Stonington Public Schools are good I just wish I lived on the Stonington side of Mystic and not Groton!:lmao:

Simba22
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't know they did military discounts! I knew about shades of green but they have discounts for it? My sis's hubby is in the army and i am hoping they can make it to my wedding. Do you know what the discount is for and what dates?
my sis and her hubby are worried that he may get deployed again too. He was in Iraq for a while but got sent home on medical. He was 50 yards(i think or maybe 50 feet i cant remember) from a car bomb and got hit with shrapnel in his leg.

Here is all of the information about the military discounts:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-military.htm#tickets

Wow that is terrible about what happened to him! Thankfully on his first deployment, my brother was not in the middle of all of the "action." Although he said for this potential deployment, he would probably be sent to Iraq :sad2: My prayers are with them all pixiedust:

DWFan4Life
01-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Welcome to DISboards. Enjoy your planning and up coming trip. Hope you will have a wonderful and memorable trip.

Have a nice and safe trip. :)

vaDisneyGuy
01-28-2009, 06:20 PM
welcome :cool1:

Mouse511
01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome from another CT DIS'er !!!

Were heading to WDW in a few days - Feb 1st - 6th......cant wait !!!

Tinkbellfan
01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Okay, who in CT is worried that the basement is flooding! Four inches of snow and six hours of down pouring rain has made me crazy. Now on top of that, add a small stream starting at the bottom of the bulkhead :crazy2:

Tinkerlisa - if you ever want a tour of the school let me know, I'm the president of the parents association. They "got" me good!

Mouse511 - have a great trip. Give us a report when you get back!

Carol23
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey wifeofjack, where abouts are you? It sounds as if you and I may be close to each other. I'm in Ansonia...

wifeofjack
01-29-2009, 05:30 AM
Hi Carol23, I'm in Naugatuck. My daughter works in Ansonia. The bank that I work for has a branch office in Ansonia.

DisneyLaura
01-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the DIS boards and yeah another from CT. I'm in Shelton so close to wifeofjack and carol32 :wave2:

Disneydonnam
01-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the boards.

collcass
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
guess that's not surprising when we live in a state as small as CT.

My husband went to Dean Mill. He grew up in Stonington just down the street from Pine Point. We were actually married in the Borough and live in Stonington until his family got a bit overbearring :rotfl: My BIL worked for McQuades for years during high school/college but the one in Westerly.

Pine Point is a great school. We are hoping our 6th grader gets into the WIlliams School for next year. Our other 3 goto a charter school that goes through 8th grade so they will stay there.

Off to sand the driveway...

Tinkbellfan
02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
collcass - Stonington is a great town. We have our issues (town budget) but it's a great place to raise a family. My dd is only in 3rd grade so she won't be at Williams for a few years. I refuse to let her go to boarding school (ask me again in 5 years!) as she is my only one.

Do your other three kids go to the school in New London or Norwich? No shorten school day today. The headmaster is holding out. The snow is just starting to stick but it is very light, so no worries.

Kaybear, how are the plans going!

tinkerlisa
02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I am a little nervous that they haven't called an early dismissal for the schools. The snow isnt sticking but after all my family has gone through this week I dont want another diasater happening.

Tinkbellfan
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I am a little nervous that they haven't called an early dismissal for the schools. The snow isnt sticking but after all my family has gone through this week I dont want another diasater happening.

Still having family issues over the wedding or did I miss something that has happened? :grouphug:

tinkerlisa
02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Wedding issues still not resolved but we are the ones that live next door to the man that died in the fire.

cswtmom
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
:yay: Welcome to the DIS board !!!:yay:
I am from CT too :rotfl: :woohoo: ::yes:: :Pinkbounc
We live in New Milford CT.
I hope you have a great trip :beach:
Please Thank your husband for his service,from me and my family.:thumbsup2

janloz
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Another from CT, Bristol. We just went to WDW in Dec and there is a link in my signature to my dining report. We did deluxe dining so we ate at alot of TS places.

Thank you to your husband and family for your service and hope you have a great trip.

Simba22
02-03-2009, 02:02 PM

All of the schools here in Stratford/Bridgeport had early dismissal. It was decided before it even started snowing.

Tinkbellfan
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Lisa - I just read the article in the paper. I am so sorry that you had to go through such a terrible ordeal. I hope the kids are okay. It must be very scary for them. My thoughts are with you, your family and neighbors.

Be careful out there everyone, the roads are really starting to get slick!

janloz - thanks for the dinning review!

tinkerlisa
02-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Lisa - I just read the article in the paper. I am so sorry that you had to go through such a terrible ordeal. I hope the kids are okay. It must be very scary for them. My thoughts are with you, your family and neighbors.

Be careful out there everyone, the roads are really starting to get slick!

janloz - thanks for the dinning review!

Thanks. It just still doesn't seem real to me. His family is here going through his house right now. My youngest, hasn't been fazed by it. My oldest, he hasn't really talked about it. Me and my hubby(to be) are still in shock. I sorta believe in the afterlife(a little) and yesterday I went to the gym I always stay for a while but I left after only 15 minutes on the treadmill(which isn't like me), anyhow driving home there was a truck in front of me with a sticker on the back window that said "Hi Neighbor". Gave me the chills. we'll miss him.:sad1:

collcass
02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
That's horrible, Lisa. I am sorry you have to go through that.

Debbie, my boys goto IDCS in Norwich. They love it there.

We had an eary dismissal yesterday and a delay this morning but we usually do get a bit more than right on the coast. Kids were really hoping for a snow day today. I told them not to count on it but they were happy to take a delay.

My husband was injured on a call last week so he's out on comp, in my hair and driving me crazy. He sees the ortho guy next wed. Yikes- that seems like an eternity

Simba22
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks. It just still doesn't seem real to me. His family is here going through his house right now. My youngest, hasn't been fazed by it. My oldest, he hasn't really talked about it. Me and my hubby(to be) are still in shock. I sorta believe in the afterlife(a little) and yesterday I went to the gym I always stay for a while but I left after only 15 minutes on the treadmill(which isn't like me), anyhow driving home there was a truck in front of me with a sticker on the back window that said "Hi Neighbor". Gave me the chills. we'll miss him.:sad1:

Wow that is something! I believe in that kind of stuff so I got crazy chills when I read that!

LovesThumper
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Well hello to all you fellow Nutmeggers. I seldom come on this board but happened to see the Connecticut header and popped in. For those of you not familiar with all the forums try Dis Unplugged- they have a weekly Podcast you can download on your Ipod. I listen in the gym. It has been going on for a couple of years. Much information on dining and special events and downright hysterical at times. Also Dreams Unlimited is the travel agency owned by the Dis boards and they are terrific for quotes, and bookings. Easy as pie. My husband and I go at least twice a year- leaving for a few days in March then again in May to go on the Podcast cruise. We live in East Granby- just a hop to the airport. You folks down on the shore certainly have gotten a lot of the wet stuff this winter. I have a couple of friends in East Lyme and their basements have gotten a little damp or wet.

that's nice
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
KayBear :wave2: Welcome

From CT too!!!
Wolcott

There should be a dedicated CT thread on here. Seems like there are quite a few ppl from CT.

Anyways have fun in August.. try to hit those pools when you can!!!!

Tim