PDA

View Full Version : Do I tip less if we don't eat dinner in the dining rooms?

seafarer71
01-22-2009, 06:14 AM
My family is sailing on the Wonder in April, and have late dinner seating. We are waitlisted for early seating. If we ultimately end up with late seating, there is no way that my kids can stay up that late without melting down (their bedtime at home is 7ish).

Thus, if we do not take dinner in the dining rooms, would it be proper to reduce the dining room waitstaff's tips by 1/3? I realize that tips constitute the vast majority of their income, but I myself do not expect payment for services I do not render. I'd rather tip the individuals who do end up serving me dinner rather than those who do not.

What is everyone's thought on this?

outahere
01-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Tipping is one of the hottest topics around here......

My personal opinion is that your dining room servers deserve their full tips, even if you don't go every night, or if the kids are in the club/lab. When not serving at dinner the servers work all over the ship, serving at the buffet, the fast food places, etc. so they are working for the guests, all day, every day.

mommasita
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
I agree with the PP. I do hope you can get the early assignment for you family, you can always try as soon as you board, by heading to the assigned place (which will be listed in the paper you receive at check in).

The staff, as you will surely see, are all over the ship helping with various other duties. When not serving suppers, they are also helping in many other areas, such as buffets, at Castaway Cay serving, etc.

We have skipped meals in the dining area, and to be honest thought the same way as yourself our first cruise, but found out they work so hard, that they are more than deserving.

Mickeyhugger
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
:surfweb:

nzdisneymom
01-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree with the PP - full tips for your servers whether you dine in the restaurants or not at dinner. They are serving you (directly or indirectly) at your other meals (we had our assistant server at lunch one day). Not all food-service providers are tipped positions (after all, you won't see a "tip jar" at Pluto's, Pinocchio's, or Goofy's like you might would see at a counter-service type of restaurant in your home town).

Kim&Chris
01-22-2009, 07:08 AM
We typically skip several meals, yet tip as if we were there. Those servers work HARD, and appreciate every cent they receive.

lbgraves
01-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I agree with the PP - full tips for your servers whether you dine in the restaurants or not at dinner. They are serving you (directly or indirectly) at your other meals (we had our assistant server at lunch one day). Not all food-service providers are tipped positions (after all, you won't see a "tip jar" at Pluto's, Pinocchio's, or Goofy's like you might would see at a counter-service type of restaurant in your home town).

We have seen our assistant server working at Pluto's before, so those areas are staffed by the same dining room staff who serves everyone for dinner. It is just one of their many jobs.

seafarer71
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the input. It all makes sense. I'll tip the full amount, regardless of where we eat dinner.

kcashner
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Your servers will work all over the ship--Pluto's, Scoops, etc. as well as Topsiders for breakfast and lunch. The tip they receive represents the service they have given to all guests for the week, not just the service they have given to you at dinner.

Even though you may choose not to eat in the dining room (or your kids might eat with the club/lab group), they and you were served by someone. They tip to your dining room server represents that service also as when they were not serving you, they were serving other guests during "non tip" periods. The tipping plan suggested by DCL is much more "user friendly" than being expected to leave a tip each place you choose to eat.

Personal opinion--they should be tipped even if you didn't directly use their service.

churchlady
01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
I heard that the suggested tip amount has been increased. Anyone know if that's true? We sail in May on the 4 nite!

kcashner
01-23-2009, 06:03 AM
The total suggested tip amount went from $11 per guest per day to $12 per guest per day.

perdidobay
01-23-2009, 07:30 AM
OP, I'm hoping that you get early seating when you get onboard.:)
We had late seating and saw many children asleep in their chairs ...but no meltdowns!:)

JanDave
01-23-2009, 07:35 AM
On the 1/10/09 Magic, we were switched on night 3 to a different table and different serving team (long story some other time). Anyway, we tipped our 2nd set of servers as if we had them all week, plus extra, and we tipped our 1st set of servers, who seemed overwhelmed that we would consider tipping them for 2 nights' worth of dinners. The CMs all work so hard and dedicate themselves to making our cruising experience so special.

Jan

kcashner
01-23-2009, 07:45 AM
On one cruise, we had our cabin changed due to a malfunction--the repair people spent the better part of 2 days trying to fix the couch/bed (once out, it couldn't be put back to couch form). After 2 days of guys in my cabin, I suggested to guest services that they put a NEW couch in the room. It seems they couldn't do that till they got into port, but "surprise!" on a "full" cruise they had an empty cabin on the same deck, same category so we moved. The only kicker was that it was a different room steward.

We tipped the new steward the total suggested amount and also tipped the original person a lesser amount since she'd taken care of us for 2 days.

My teen typically sleeps till noon. I always tell our steward that if she is finished with her other rooms, don't worry about ours! She will refresh the towels, etc. that evening. Again, she gets the full tip--it isn't HER fault that my DD sleeps late and I don't want her to have to work longer than her normal shift.