PDA

View Full Version : Canadian passports on cruises

Kurby
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
any Canadians out there who have recently been on a cruise?

I'm wondering if they still "confiscate" our passports until we return

what happens in Nassau if we don't have a passport? don't they ask for it when we get off the ship and go through their customs?

anyone know why they take them if they still do? i can't get a straight answer and it just doesn't make any sense that they hold them for the entire length of the cruise.

mkmommy
01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I was on the Wonder in December and I kept my passport. They just scan it when you check in at the Terminal in Port Canaveral and give it back to you.

In Nassau you do not need your passport just your key and photo id (I have read that recently they are adding a photo to the key at check in which may lead to not needing to have the photo id). In Nassau there is not really a custom check like when you go through US Customs at the border. I am assuming that a manifest is provided to the government of the Bahamas and the checks are done behind the scenes, as you pretty much just walk off the ship.

Taking your passport with you in Nassau is a different story. I know most people do not take it, but the reality is, if something were to happen to you on the island and you missed the ship, having your passport with you instead of on the ship would make it much easier to get on a flight.

Lisa

lbgraves
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
According to posts on the board this practice stopped some time in 2008. I will move your post to the main cruise board so that we can find out for sure. :)

pjpoohbear
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I didn't have to surrender my passport in October 2007 or May 08, but did in December 2006.

Funny story... I slept through my alarm and wake-up call the last morning in 2006 and was the very last person to arrive for the customs at the WDT, the CM was at the door holding my passport in her hand, only had to wait for a minute or two before being called up, lol.

ubermama
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
We sailed the 7 night Eastern in April 2008 and they did NOT take our passports. We had to use them as part of our I.D. to reboard at the ports. We did have photocopies of our passports in a different bag though, just in case something got lost. It would help have helped us alot at the Can. Emb. we've been told.

TaniaU
01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Just got back from the Eastern and we kept our passport the entire time and didn't need to do the early morning clearance that I was worried about :) Don't know when that changed but I'm sure glad it did.