PDA

View Full Version : Kid Clubs - Oceaneer Club & Lab, Ocean Quest oh my

CanadianDisneyDad
01-21-2009, 11:51 AM
G'day

Apparently I, and the missus, ok probably more me, may be misunderstanding how the kids clubs work; I have 2 beautiful daughters (8 & 12) :love:

We are cruising in a very short time on the Magic and from what I previously understood there was the following clubs:
Oceaneer Club - 3-7 years
Oceaneer Lab- 8-12 years
Ocean Quest - 11-13 years

So can my, sorry our, 12 year old then sign up for 2 clubs??

cheers

nzdisneymom
01-21-2009, 12:24 PM
G'day

Apparently I, and the missus, ok probably more me, may be misunderstanding how the kids clubs work; I have 2 beautiful daughters (8 & 12) :love:

We are cruising in a very short time on the Magic and from what I previously understood there was the following clubs:
Oceaneer Club - 3-7 years
Oceaneer Lab- 8-12 years
Ocean Quest - 11-13 years

So can my, sorry our, 12 year old then sign up for 2 clubs??

cheers

It depends on which cruise you're going on as to whether there is an Ocean Quest or not. If you are on the Wonder, you just have the Club and the Lab. If you're on the Magic, the Club is 3-7, Lab is 8-10, and Ocean Quest is 11 - 13 yr olds. So if you're on the Magic, she'll be in Ocean Quest.

crsfulk
01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Our boys were 7 and 11 when we went last month. We bumped our youngest up to the Lab and the oldest was in Quest. Best part of the cruise!! We basically had 3 vacations in 1, the boys had thier great time, we had adult time and then we all had family time!

My suggestion for your 12 yr old is to stress the importance of using the pager that is issued for your 8 yr old. The older kids have "sign out" priviliges and we stressed that as long as we knew he was not running rampent around the ship, he could continue. Everytime he wanted to go somewhere with his buddies, he would let us know. Of course we also did "spot checks" to ensure that the messages we were getting were correct.

Have a great trip and let the kids enjoy the clubs. Our boys are already asking when we are going to go again!!

CanadianDisneyDad
01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
We are heading out on the magic next Friday :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thanks for the responses, I have reread the Disney Cruise Line pages several times and it still is unclear, to me anyways.

When we booked, both girls we entered into the Oceaneer Lab and when we checked last night the oldest was missing :sad: from the Itinerary, just a fleeting moment of panic!!

cheers

kcashner
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
The programs are being constantly evaluated and improved. On both ships there used to be the Club, Lab, and a teen program (different names on the two ships). Since there were parents who didn't want their early teens in the teen program and 11-12s were a little bored with the lab, a new area was built and tried on the Magic--this became Ocean Quest. Along with this, they seem to be a little less strict as to when they will allow kids to deviate from their age groups.

So...your 12 year old will be in Ocean Quest on the Magic. If you had booked a trip on the Wonder, she would have been in the Lab.

Why are the ships different? Well, there is an intrinsic difference between a 3 or 4 day cruise and a week cruise. There was construction needed to make Ocean Quest in a room that had previously been a library and then a conference room. Maybe they were trying out the change to determine whether to do it on both ships. What I know is that OC did not exist when my daughter was 12, and she was totally bored with the Lab (having done it on several trips). In addition, I've there have been some pretty wild things in the teen programming (don't panic, it depends on the kids on each sailing). But I can certainly understand parents feeling that their 13 year old is more a tween than a teen.

disneyfaninaz
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Also, there's no registration required for the Quest like for the Lab, that is why your 12 year old is not listed in a children's program.

frdeb1999
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Also, if you choose you can also ask to have them placed in the lab instead of quest. We were going to do this on our past Dec cruise and then my dd upon seeing everything in OQ decided that she just wanted to stay put in there. She had a fabulous time and said it was even better then the lab had been the previous year. If there is room and the counselors agree....which they never have'nt as far as our experience with our dd....it's another option for you.