PDA

View Full Version : Questions - RE: cruise staff

CanadianDisneyDad
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
:eek: G'day

just curious if anyone know what the typicial cruise staff make per cruise or day? I have heard conflicting reports that get as lot as $50 per week?? :eek:

does anyone know what Disney pays??

cheers

kcashner
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
There is a huge difference between "cruise staff" and your servers, asst. servers, head servers, and room stewards.

Indeed, those positions receive very low pay and are basically working for tips. They do receive medical coverage, room and board, costumes, and travel expenses back to their home at the end of each contract and to the ship to begin the next contract. Yes, it has been reported that DCL pays them next to nothing. Remember, the ship is registered in the Bahamas and is not subject to US laws.

People commonly referred to as "cruise staff" are those that do the adult programming, etc--those that work under the cruise director and do (as they say) "All the fun things." They are paid a real salary in addition to the room and board, etc.

All personnel on the ship except those in tipped positions earn "real" salaries which vary depending on length of service, job title, guest reviews, etc. DCL has a great system for advancement within the company for those who do a great job.

tvguy
01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
This is an often discussed issue on these boards. Our waiter on HAL said his base salary was $100 a month. Not much by U.S. standards, but about what the average person in his homeland Indonesia made in a year. Throw in tips, he didn't say how much he made in tips, but said he figured if he worked 7 years on the ship, he could save enough to go back to Indonesia , retire, and live off his savings. That was in 2002, so if his plan came through, he should be retiring this year, at the age of 32.

tinkerone
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
we just hired a guy who worked for dcl (and am i grilling him). he was salaried and made close to 500 us per week. he said a good head server can make up to 2000 a week. as salary is the one subject that often comes up on the dis, it was one of the first things i asked. i know others on the dis say it wouldn't be that much but i guess it can be. no reason to dis believe him.:rotfl2:

lbgraves
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
If they are not in a tipped position, I suppose it is possible but the head servers are tipped so they have to work for their pay.

To the OP, I believe that it is more along the lines of $50 per month plus room and board for the tipped positions onboard.

tinkerone
01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
If they are not in a tipped position, I suppose it is possible but the head servers are tipped so they have to work for their pay.

To the OP, I believe that it is more along the lines of $50 per month plus room and board for the tipped positions onboard.

sorry, just to clarify, the person who now works with us was not in a tipped position. he was on a straight salary. and yes he said while they can make as much as i quoted, they also work up to 90 hours a week. thats a dam long week reguardless of what your position if you ask me. also to keep in mind, they can only work for a certain period of time and then have to take months off so what looks like a great salary, spaced over times of no income, would bring their yearly rate down a lot. and the value of the dollar they earn would be effected even more by what country they come from.
guess its all in the perspective.
:flower3:

newrygirl
01-21-2009, 07:43 AM
We just got off the wonder, our assitant server told us that she recieves $25.00 a month, the rest is what they make in tips. The head server, server, *** server and stateroom host all make $25.00 and the rest of their wage is what we tip them. Everyone else on board makes a set wage.

jrabbit
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
How many of us can put in 90 hour work weeks. Well most of us can for a short period - but try it for 4 to 6 months straight!! You might be able to look forward to a 60 hour week sometime in those 4 to 6 months as "downtime"

brucechase
01-21-2009, 10:23 AM
The server on our last trip told me that even though there are weeks that he puts in 70 hours, the next week is usually a relaxing week where there is no where near that much time put in. Basically, they rotate some of the duties so no one works 70 hours per week for 4 months straight.

Lollipop's Mom
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
What is the head server suppossed to be doing? All I noticed ours doing was coming along, rubbing my daughter on her back and saying "How is your food tonight dear?" and then left. I thought "I am suppossed to pay this guy for that?".
I am sure more goes on behind the scenes, so what is it they do?

tinkerone
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
What is the head server suppossed to be doing? All I noticed ours doing was coming along, rubbing my daughter on her back and saying "How is your food tonight dear?" and then left. I thought "I am suppossed to pay this guy for that?".

thats the head waiter, not server. it has been a big discusion as to what the head waiter does. on one cruise we only saw him on the last night with his hand out. on our last night he stopped at the table every night to see how everything was.
i understand the head waiter organizes special occasions, takes care of any problems or issues you may have. i'm sure other posters will tell you more.

kcashner
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM

The head server is responsible for all allergy issues, special food needs, birthday and anniversary celebrations, etc. He supervises several server/asst. teams and should be helping out if one of his teams needs some assistance. When I commented that our head server was a dud on one cruise, our favorite server told me that this head server was his best friend and did many things behind the scenes to make things work better. He is the direct link between the service and the food preparation, and can arrange special preparation for special issues.

If you have no special needs, it may seem that he doesn't do much, but he is working for you...you just don't see it. And, yes, he is the guy who asks if everything is ok.

The same server (who we requested on several cruises) told me that their schedules were based on their comments from the previous cruise--bad evaluations cause a crummy schedule. He was really torked once because a party of 16 college students stiffed him on tips and wrote awful comments. In 3 years on the ship, his team had always been one of the top 3 for evaluations. Besides the money issue, he was really upset about the evaluations "which made him work like a dog on this cruise." He probably shouldn't have shared all he did with us, but.....we didn't mind, and we loved having him.

ScouterJT
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
on my last cruise, a bar server told me that bartenders can earn up to $1000 /week in tips; bar servers earn up to about $750 / week in tips

iloveokw
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Sounds like good money. But when you take into consideration the hours they work, the close living conditions, and being away from family and friends the money doesn't sound as big. But I know that it is a godsend for most of them from other countries.

lbgraves
01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Exactly! That $1000.00 per week is all relative.

40 hour week - $25.00 per hour
50 hour week - $20.00 per hour
60 hour week - $16.66 per hour
70 hour week - $14.28 per hour
80 hour week - $12.50 per hour
90 hour week - $11.11 per hour

Of course this is depending on them receiving tips from the majority of their guests each week.

Jennifer in MI
01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I can't speak to salary, but I know all about the head server! We had some major allergies at our table (peanut, tree nut, egg, shellfish, and kiwi). All anaphlyctic. Our head server was at our table EVERY meal multiple times. He took orders for the next meals and arranged for them to be ready when we were ready to eat. He arranged the meals to be delivered to our room if we needed to eat there. He arranged for us to take meals off the ship if we needed. He was AWESOME!! So, even if you don't see him much, he is very much involved in the running of the dining room! We tipped him a LOT extra!!!