PDA

View Full Version : disney cruise

Kim Bouchard
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Would like to do a 4 night cruise on the 2nd of August for family of 5. Any points to be used or deals out there?
Kim

kcashner
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
A family of 5 is somewhat difficult. You will need to either be in a cat 4 (or a suite) which are expensive, or have 2 cabins. Depending on the ages of your kids, you will need to consider connecting cabins or cabins next to or across the hall from each other. If you go with 2 cabins, you will book one adult in each cabin. Unfortunately, we pay adult fare for the first child in the cabin as the fares are based on 2 adults in each.

Which of these is cheaper will depend on your cruise dates and category of cabin. There are not a lot of deals for first time cruisers. If you have a Disney Visa card and use it for your entire booking (deposit and all payments), you will be entitled to a Disney Visa credit of $50. There is a code for this. Some travel agents will give you an additional onboard credit. THe amount varies with the cabin level and length of the cruise.

skiingwife
01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
No discounts that I know of. But if you're flexible on dates, check the rates for later in the month. You will have big savings if you can cruise August 23 or 30th, rather than August 2.

DisneyWhirled
01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
No more information that I can offer, but just wanted to share that my friends family is a family of 5 and they have experienced exactly what the above posters are stating. They have since cancelled their cruise, but had to go with a cat 4 for all of them, as their children are younger.

The later you go in Aug, the cheaper it is. We are booked on the 16th sailing, why don't you join us? He he he!

aznaphrodite
01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Dreams Unlimited Travel and Small World are both offering onboard credit but I think you have to book by 1/31. As kcashner said, use your Disney Visa and get an additional $50 onboard credit. They are also offering 0% for a period of time too.

trimix
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Here's one - get two interconnecting cat 8-10 rooms.

I am taking a family of four on a 7 night Western in August. I booked at cat 5 because I really want the veranda. However, I ran through the reservation system and found I could book two cat 9 staterooms and save about $200 over the cat 5. The savings would be even greater if I went down to cat 10.

With connecting staterooms, supervising the children will not be an issue - just keep the doors between staterooms open at all times.

The benefit of two cat 8, 9, or 10 staterooms over one cat 5 is almost double the space for less money. Plus, since you are booking two staterooms, you can expect double the OBC.

And, as others have said, if you can wait a bit later in August, you will save money. I looked at prices for my family to take a four night cruse in cat 4:
Aug 2 - $6208. Aug 9 - $5308. Aug 16 - $4428. Aug 23 - $3948. Aug 30 - $3448.

A cat 12 on Aug 2 costs more than a cat 4 on Aug 30! So, to save money, wait until late August or September!