PDA

View Full Version : change sail date....Mediterranean, pls advise

biggroofy
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
We were on Magic (Jan 10-17) and booked our next cruise onboard (Christmas 2010). DD5 is now under serious post-cruise depression - every morning when she woke up, she said "I wish I am still on the Disney ship!" I told her that we will be there when she turns 7, but she complained that's too long :rotfl:

We indeed considered the Mediterranean in summer 2010, but the prices are expensive. Just now, DW came up with this Repo (8-night Dover to Barcelona), not as expensive as the 12-Night European, and I am sure that my DD5 would be glad to visit Magic sooner (at least I'm bringing it 5-month earlier).

Since I have paid $150/person for deposit, what should I do if we decide to go with the 8-night Dover to Barcelona? Will I be able to keep 10% discount (given onboard) and the $200 credit? Do I have to cancel (refund) the existing reservation and start a brand new one?

Any comments on Disney's Mediterranean cruises? I always have a perception that Disney weren't specialized on those cruises (at least not as RCL etc). Do we always get the same crew member team onboard, or they have to hire short-term contract for these special cruises? I was very pleased with the crew member during our Western cruise last week, from Brent, to dining team, kid's club counselors, even room steward.

Sorry for tons of ??? - Getting excited (and little nervous) with this new option :flower3:

biggroofy
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
P.S. Will Disney send me a revised confirmation letter (for peace of mind) if I do change my cruise?

P.S.2. Any differences in policy etc for Med. cruises, compared to Caribbean ones?

gydell
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Have you thought about one of the TA cruises? More days for less money!

You have the same crew.

biggroofy
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Have you thought about one of the TA cruises? More days for less money!

You have the same crew.

TA cruises are great, 14 nights great prices. The only thing not great is the date - Apr and Sep. DW won't agree taking DD out of school for 16+ days :(

javaj
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
We just did this last week --

Yes you'll get to keep the 10% off on the Med/TA cruises for Cats 4 to 11, plus the $200 OBC. They will change your reservation, but you'll get to keep the same reservation number. You'll need to pay the extra deposit ($300 per person on the Med/TA), and they'll send you a new confirmation.

Main differences between the 7 day were that full payment was due 120 days in advance, and full refund cancellation was 90 days.

By the way, we were apprehensive about taking DS out of school for the TA too. But we figured at 2nd or 3rd grade, we could keep him caught up pretty easily. The price for the Med was $10K, and for the TA it was $4K (2 adults, 2 children, Cat 9).

biggroofy
01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
We just did this last week --

Yes you'll get to keep the 10% off on the Med/TA cruises for Cats 4 to 11, plus the $200 OBC. They will change your reservation, but you'll get to keep the same reservation number. You'll need to pay the extra deposit ($300 per person on the Med/TA), and they'll send you a new confirmation.

Main differences between the 7 day were that full payment was due 120 days in advance, and full refund cancellation was 90 days.

Thanks javaj! Do I have to do it online, or call DCL directly? Can I request the same rooms (as of now, I saw them available on DCL web site) and keep the existing requests on file?

JoiseyMom
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks javaj! Do I have to do it online, or call DCL directly? Can I request the same rooms (as of now, I saw them available on DCL web site) and keep the existing requests on file?

To change a current reservation you have to call DCL directly. Yes you can request the same rooms as long as they are available. They may have to move the existing requests..not sure how their database is set up. Just ask....they are very accomodating.

scottishwee35
01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
TA cruises are great, 14 nights great prices. The only thing not great is the date - Apr and Sep. DW won't agree taking DD out of school for 16+ days :(

Ah I see, same with us...

We cannot take our kids off school Apr/Sept :sad:

Med cruise was awesome...

Better phone disney cruise and transfer it as what I had done it with dreams unlimited.. still keep discount etc...

good luck

Scottishwee35

biggroofy
01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you guys. Just off the phone with DCL and now we will be sail on Jul 30 - Dover - Barcelona :) I keep our reservation number(s), requests, onboard credit, even our rooms (hehe, still available), only changing sail dates.

Two interesting facts to share:
1). I remembered while we were onboard, deposit should be $300/person for Med. cruises. I paid $125/person when I booked the Eastern. When I asked the lady if I need to "top-up" the deposit, she said I am fine - no need to place extra deposit. Possibly because I am doing a 8-night instead of 12?

2). Our youngest DD will turn 3 during the upcoming cruise. I asked if DCL will charge her, but she said no - they count only the day when we come aboard. However, the lady made a note that my DD will celebrate her 3rd birthday on the cruise :)

Already excited to our 1st trip to Europe...although another 20 months to go!

jilljill
01-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you guys. Just off the phone with DCL and now we will be sail on Jul 30 - Dover - Barcelona :) I keep our reservation number(s), requests, onboard credit, even our rooms (hehe, still available), only changing sail dates.

Two interesting facts to share:
1). I remembered while we were onboard, deposit should be $300/person for Med. cruises. I paid $125/person when I booked the Eastern. When I asked the lady if I need to "top-up" the deposit, she said I am fine - no need to place extra deposit. Possibly because I am doing a 8-night instead of 12?

2). Our youngest DD will turn 3 during the upcoming cruise. I asked if DCL will charge her, but she said no - they count only the day when we come aboard. However, the lady made a note that my DD will celebrate her 3rd birthday on the cruise :)

Already excited to our 1st trip to Europe...although another 20 months to go!

This is great for you and your family. Now the wait and planning begins. Even better that your youngest won't be charged the full fare. :thumbsup2