PDA

View Full Version : Need help with insurance or reschedule ?

strega7
01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
We were supposed to leave for our cruise 30 days from now. On Saturday my sister, who is in the traveling party with us, had a terrible bicycle accident and is now in a coma and has quite a few broken bones. We have two rooms booked thru Costco with Costco travel insurance. One cabin is my family, the other is my parent and sister. My question is.....I don't think we are going to be able to go....will they reschedule the cruise for a later date 30 days out, or do I have to cancel and submit a claim from travel insurance to reimburse me for the trip and then just book on my own for a different time? How late can we make our decision as to wether or not we should cancel. I would like to hear anyone's experience on having to use Costco insurance.

Thank You,

Marci

brianvdb
01-20-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. I hope that she is able to recover fully, and you have my best wishes.

As far as the cruise, the insurance company will probably not reschedule your cruise for you. Assuming that your claim is approved, they will send you a check for whatever they owe you under the policy. You'll need to call the travel insurance company, advise them of the situation and tell them that due to your sister's condition you will not be going on the cruise. They will instruct you on what to do from there... you'll likely fill out a claim form and need to submit verification of your sister's hospitalization. Just make sure that you read your policy, follow all the instructions under the "making a claim" section and follow any instructions that they give you on the phone.

If it is unlikely that you'll be going on the cruise, I would call them sooner rather than later. You're currently in the 50% refund window with Disney, and if you wait until the "no refund" window (1 week out), the travel insurance company may balk at paying the extra 50%.

mommasita
01-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Marci, I have no experience with Costco insurance, but wanted to convey my best wishes and prayers for your sister. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

I believe the previous poster gives the best advice to you. :grouphug:

lbgraves
01-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I also have no experience with Costco insurance but agree to call them to find out the quickest what you are covered for in this situation.

I hope that your sister recovers quickly.

kcashner
01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Since you used the Costco travel agency, I'd start there. They are the ones who will need to cancel the cruise for you. When you cancel, follow up your phone call with a letter to them (you don't want them to say later that they have no record of your phone call!). At the same time, they can advise you about how to deal with the insurance company--there's probably an 800 number on the policy to get you started.

OK, the cynic in me--make copies of everything you send to your TA and to the insurance company and at least think about sending it certified mail.

strega7
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Thank you all for your advise, I have been in such a fog since this happened I just can't think clearly...I will start with the phone calls and letters today.

Marci