PDA

View Full Version : Cat 9 gty or stick with what we got?

audrey2580
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
We just booked under the kids free promo for a May 3-day cruise and the choices for rooms were very few. So we picked the CAT 9 #2004 which is the 4th room from the front of the ship, deck 2. I would obviously rather be in the middle of deck 2 or higher. So now I check the DCL website and for a family of 4 they are only offering a cat 9 gty.

Should I stick with good 'ol #2004 and hope to get upgraded or go for the gty?

Do you have a better chance of getting upgraded if you pick the gty?

Finally, we have 2 Castaway Club members in our cabin, does that help our chances of upgrade?

dznymania
01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I would change to the gty room. You never know what will happen! You can't get anything less than the 9, so I say go for it!:cool1:

kcashner
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Your best chance of an upgrade is with a gty. However, even with that, the pixie dust lands with no rhyme or reason. It does seem that first time cruisers (or less experienced cruisers) get more dust than the frequent flyers.

If you don't like the room you have, go with the gty. It's not likely to get worse...and might get a lot better.

audrey2580
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the gty. It's only 3 nights and I'm on a Disney Cruise so how bad could anything be ;)

Momtravels
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I love deck 2, but have always been midship. Keep in mind that there are cat. 9's on both decks one and two.

I have stayed on deck one and thought the room was wonderful and the deck itself very quiet; however, if you were to be assigned to deck 1, instead of having a large single porthole window, you would have two small port holes which, IMO do not offer the view that the deck two single porthole offers. There are pics. of the double portholes if you do a search on this site.

Whatever you decide, have an absolutely wonderful cruise!

ibouncetoo
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Personally I wouldn't risk giving up a guaranteed deck 2 spot when you could be moved down to deck 1....for the reason mentioned in the previous post.

Also, there is NO rhyme or reason to pixie dust upgrades...no one type of booking or cruiser is more likely to get an upgrade than another (except when you've booked 4 people in a cat 12...that automatically moves you to a cat 11).

lbgraves
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Personally I wouldn't risk giving up a guaranteed deck 2 spot when you could be moved down to deck 1....for the reason mentioned in the previous post.

Also, there is NO rhyme or reason to pixie dust upgrades...no one type of booking or cruiser is more likely to get an upgrade than another (except when you've booked 4 people in a cat 12...that automatically moves you to a cat 11).

I have to agree with this. We love being forward on the ship, though we have not cruised on deck 2...just a personal preference with me. I prefer to know where we are cruising instead of wondering if we are going to get stuck with one of the noisy rooms, which with a GTY you have no leg to stand on if you do get one of those and you want to be moved.