PDA

View Full Version : Pre Pay Tips?

Mrs.Roo
01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
My cruise docs stated that I can prepay our tips. Should I? It seems it would save me time.

Does anyone here prepay the tips?

Thanks

kcashner
01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
It would save you only a few minutes...and basically amounts to giving your money to DCL in advance.

Doing tips on board is easy--there will be a form placed in your room on the second to last day. You fill it out indicating the amount you wish to tip and your cabin number. You can then take it to Guest Services or place it in the box that will be put out for that purpose. They will process the form and put the tip tickets in your stateroom. THere is a portion to give to the CM (in the envelope) and a portion for your records.

You can always pay in advance and add cash to the envelope if you wish to tip more.

ericamanda01
01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
We did for our last cruise and I have to say it was so nice not to have to wait in line at the guest services desk. We also brought extra cash in case we wanted to tip more and we just put the cash in with the prepaid tickets.

Mickeyhugger
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
If you pre pay your tips there is a possibility that you could get poor service ( I know it Disney and unlikely) and not want to leave the full amount.Now how do you go about adjusting and getting a refund? For that reason we do not pre pay tips.. tips are for a service provided.

Rob

kcashner
01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
If you pre pay your tips there is a possibility that you could get poor service ( I know it Disney and unlikely) and not want to leave the full amount.Now how do you go about adjusting and getting a refund? For that reason we do not pre pay tips.. tips are for a service provided.

Rob
That's what I didn't quite know how to phrase in my post.

You don't have to wait at guest services to charge your tips to your KTTW account. They will put out a box for the tip forms and you just drop the form in the box! The tickets will be placed in your stateroom.

Mrsjvb
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I am prepaying strictly for budgetary reasons.

they will get the minimum recommended regardless of the service. they will get extra in cash the last night if we are extra pleased with how we were treated.

mommasita
01-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I am prepaying strictly for budgetary reasons.

they will get the minimum recommended regardless of the service. they will get extra in cash the last night if we are extra pleased with how we were treated.

We did this as well. Totally loved it. We paid at the time of booking, and found it much easier this way.

TnRobin
01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
We are actually doing this for the first time on our next cruise. I am glad that it is paid for so I don't have to budget for it (except for a little extra if I have the typical fabulaous service.)

frdeb1999
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
We prepaid this past trip and loved it. It was nice having it budgeted and paid in advance. And we were told that if for any reason you have a reason to change it that it can be done by stopping by guest services. Although we always tip the minimum.

Mrs.Roo
01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your feedback..
now I need to make a decision :)

tigger2002
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Where can you pre-pay the tips? Online?

scootch
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
You also can pay cash.... that is my plan.

Mrs.Roo
01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Where can you pre-pay the tips? Online?

Calling 1-800-WDW-Cruise up to 3 days prior

scraptami
01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow, I had no idea this is the way Disney was set up. The other cruise lines we've been on automatically add $10 per day per person in cabin on your account. So what is the recommended amount? Or is this one of those pot-stirring questions?;)

Spanky
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I pre-paid because I used my disney visa. That way I had the points from the pre-paid tips to spend on the cruise. Hey, every little bit helps.

kcashner
01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Wow, I had no idea this is the way Disney was set up. The other cruise lines we've been on automatically add $10 per day per person in cabin on your account. So what is the recommended amount? Or is this one of those pot-stirring questions?;)

Yes, it's a pot stirrer. The suggested tips amount to $12 per guest per day. There are lots of threads on this if you want to do a search.

Alexander
01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Can you pre-pay with a Disney Gift Card?

Mickeyhugger
01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Can you pre-pay with a Disney Gift Card?

yes

Alexander
01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
yes

Thanks! I think I'm going to throw my "free" $200 gift card from the 7 for 4 deal next month onto my onboard account. The absolutle last thing I need in my house is $200 more in WDW stuff! I just need to find out if it expires when I check out so I can call it in when I'm in WDW.

mmackeymouse
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Question about pre-paying tips. If you don't put anything in the envelopes or give them anything on the last night, will they think you are stiffing them?

Also, will they know how much you are tipping ahead of time?

OrlandoDisneyFan
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
If you pre-pay, you will get vouchers for each member of your party to put in the envelopes that you will give to them.

kcashner
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
You will get a ticket (coupon like thing) that indicates the name of the individual and the amount you tipped. You place that in the envelope and give it to the person. It is exactly like charging your tips on the ship. If you want to add some cash in addition, you certainly can.

The CM gets a check for the amount of tips charged (which includes paid in advance). Many CMs prefer getting the check (especially those who are sending their money home.)

ruadisneyfan2
01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks! I think I'm going to throw my "free" $200 gift card from the 7 for 4 deal next month onto my onboard account. The absolutle last thing I need in my house is $200 more in WDW stuff! I just need to find out if it expires when I check out so I can call it in when I'm in WDW.

If it expires before your cruise, just use it to pay toward cost of your cruise.:thumbsup2

lbgraves
01-23-2009, 09:45 PM

I will try that when we are there in a few weeks! I was wondering how to work around the expiration date. :thumbsup2

lbgraves
01-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Here is a link that makes it all very easy to figure out. Just enter the ship and the number of day and people cruising. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/ :)