PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need insurance? And who has made a claim successfully?

itutorfortravel
01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
No flames, please!!! I am asking a genuine question here...

We are getting ready to pay off our cruise and currently we have it on file that we are getting DCL insurance. I originally chose them b/c I was told that if you cancel in the penalty period that any non-refundable amount could be applied to a future cruise. Not sure if that is the case anymore, soooo....

We are driving, so we don't need anything like baggage insurance, travel delay, etc. (I don't think travel delay covers driving, does it?)

Our health insurance covers international destinations so we would have health coverage in the ports. What about the ship's doctor...how is that filed / covered?

The one thing I don't know about is medical evacuation. That one kind of concerns me. Can you get coverage for just that?

And what about trip cancellation? I had looked at Travlex Deluxe and it didn't even cover the entire cost of the trip with its cancellation...so what good is that?!

DH is wondering if we need to get travel insurance at all...what would you get in our situation?

Secondly, I'd like to know what insurance companies others have used and have had success making claims against? And if you don't mind sharing what were the circumstances, how good was the company to work with, and how easy was the process? Thanks!!!

mommasita
01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
I would suggest insurance.

We use insuremytrip.com, and had to make a claim during a hurricane in 2004. We received basically every cent back. It was for over 1200.00. We had to dock one day early, and basically instead of flying rented a car to drive home. The insurance covered the rental, gas, meals, etc.

I realize you are driving, but you mentioned some good points. Medical to me is the number one. On every cruise I have been on, DCL or not, there has been someone evacuated with a medical emergency. You would need to check with your private policy on the ship's doctors, because that is automatically billed to your right then and there. The one time we used them for my DD's ear infection, it was something like 125$, and that was also reimbursed (same cruise).

I can not remember the amount of our insurance, but it usually ran something like 150$ for our family of 4. Considering the money we spend on our cruise, it was well spent IMHO.

itutorfortravel
01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I would suggest insurance.

We use insuremytrip.com, and had to make a claim during a hurricane in 2004. We received basically every cent back. It was for over 1200.00. We had to dock one day early, and basically instead of flying rented a car to drive home. The insurance covered the rental, gas, meals, etc.

I realize you are driving, but you mentioned some good points. Medical to me is the number one. On every cruise I have been on, DCL or not, there has been someone evacuated with a medical emergency. You would need to check with your private policy on the ship's doctors, because that is automatically billed to your right then and there. The one time we used them for my DD's ear infection, it was something like 125$, and that was also reimbursed (same cruise).

I can not remember the amount of our insurance, but it usually ran something like 150$ for our family of 4. Considering the money we spend on our cruise, it was well spent IMHO.

which insurance company carried your insurance? i know insuremytrip lists many companies...thanks :)

mousetravel
01-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I use TravelGuard because it has really good prices. But if I had to cancel (other than medical reason), I would only get 50 percent refunded. I mainly got it for the medical evacuation, which is thousands of dollars IF you needed it. I'm also driving, so I don't need the extras. For me & DD, my insurance was $52.20.

mommasita
01-19-2009, 07:22 AM
which insurance company carried your insurance? i know insuremytrip lists many companies...thanks :)

Looking back in my paperwork, it was Access America.

NancyIL
01-19-2009, 07:25 AM
And what about trip cancellation? I had looked at Travlex Deluxe and it didn't even cover the entire cost of the trip with its cancellation...so what good is that?!

You need to purchase enough insurance to cover the prepaid, non-refundable portion of your trip. Travelex's trip cancellation does cover the entire cost of the trip IF you cancel for a covered reason.

I bought Travelex Travelite for a cruise with my sister, and she had to cancel a few days before we sailed because her husband needed bypass surgery. She got back all of her money, and she was in the 100% penalty phase. However, the insurance was purchased in the 21-day period after making the trip deposit to cover pre-existing conditions.

itutorfortravel
01-19-2009, 08:07 AM
so does the pre-existing condition clause apply not just to the travelers, but to a family member (not traveling with you) who becomes ill and causes you to cancel or delay your trip?

disneyfaninaz
01-19-2009, 08:29 AM
IMHO, compared to what you are spending on the cruise, a couple of hundred of dollars for trip insurance is a wise investment.

You'll have to check each carrier's contract as to how they define "Pre existing condition."

kcashner
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
The specifics of what each policy covers is contained in the fine print for the policy you are purchasing. It really can be confusing because not only are there many companies, but some companies offer more than one policy.

As to the question of the ship's medical services--they are billed to your KTTW card and need to be paid at the end of the cruise. You will be provided with documentation to submit to your medical insurer or your travel insurance to be reimbursed for the services.

Medical evacuation AND repatriation--check your medical coverage. If it covers an evacuation to a foreign hospital, will it pay for your return to the US??? This entire process happens rarely but can be frightfully expensive (as much as $ 30K.

Whether a pre-existing condition applies only to the traveler or to a first or second degree relative is a matter of the fine print.

Many people on the hurricane Jeane cruises had claims--The Magic came into port a day early in anticipation of the hurricane and the following 7 day cruise (which we were on ) became a 4 day. They called it 5, but we left port after midnight! Since we were already at WDW, we needed to extend our stay there. Those 2 extra nights were the most expensive of the trip as there were NO discounts available! They knew they had us. DCL gave us a partial refund for the trip. If you had trip insurance, you could be reimbursed for the price of early airfare (if you were on the 6 day) or the expenses of the days at WDW, etc. What you were reimbursed couldn't exceed what you actually had to spend on those things and couldn't exceed the limits in the policy--there were people on the cruise who thought they were going to get X number of dollars per day. That would be true only if they had to spend that much!

We have used TravelGuard and TravelInternational as well as the Access America thru DCL. Travelguard is usually the better deal and they cover kids free with the parent. You can compare policies at insuremytrip.com.

DCL used to allow you to transfer a cruise in the penalty period to a different date. However, I've read that they are now following the "letter of the law" and no longer allowing this.

NancyIL
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
so does the pre-existing condition clause apply not just to the travelers, but to a family member (not traveling with you) who becomes ill and causes you to cancel or delay your trip?

With most policies, pre-existing conditions also applies to non-traveling family members. My brother-in-law didn't have a pre-existing condition for heart problems, but I bought the insurance early because of other family members' pre-existing conditions.

In another thread, I mentioned two companies that cover pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment: CSA WebDirect Luxe and HTH Worldwide (both basic and preferred).

ibouncetoo
01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
In another thread, I mentioned two companies that cover pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment: CSA WebDirect Luxe and HTH Worldwide (both basic and preferred).

Nancy, were these two companies ones that were offerd at insuremytrip.com (would love to do their side-by-side), or did you contact them individually?

thanks!

NancyIL
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Nancy, were these two companies ones that were offerd at insuremytrip.com (would love to do their side-by-side), or did you contact them individually?

thanks!

Both are offered at Insure My Trip.com. However, the CSA policy is slightly less expensive if you purchase it directly from CSA, whereas HTH is the same price whether purchased directly from the company or through Insure My Trip.

tvguy
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Would it be financially devestating to you if you had to cancel and did not get a refund?
Insurance companies would go bankrupt if they didn't charge more in premiums that they know they typically will have to pay out. So odds are, you are throwing your money away, however, if are one of the rare ones that has a claim, it can make a big difference.
I've done 8 cruises and Disney is the only cruise that I purchased travel insurance for. That is because is was soo much more expensive than the other cruises. I would have been unhappy if I had lost my money on the other uninsured cruises, but it would not have been financially devestating.
Sort of like your auto insurance, do you have a $100 deductable, or a $1,000 deductable? With 2 drivers under age 25 on my policy, I have the higher deductable. I save almost $500 a year on premiums, so as long as I don't have more than one claim every two years or so (let's hope not), I am money ahead.

kcashner
01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
I used to not buy insurance....until I found out that I had no medical coverage outside of the US. I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise (wouldn't be happy, but.....) However, I wouldn't want to see the medical bills for an illness or injury abroad. We've been on a lot of cruises and have seen people evacuated from the ship on several occasions as well as knowing people were left at a hospital in one of the ports. Yes, older people have heart attacks, etc. But I've seen kids break a leg, etc. too.

I tend to buy less coverage than I need to fully cover the cost of our trip (do I need $1000 or $1500 coverage per person? I'll buy the $1000). This is basically like increasing my deductible. I still have the same medical and evacuation coverage.

wwwosie
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I always read that if you buy your insurance from insuremytrip.com it's cheaper than disney. But I've priced it out and it's about the same. What am I doing wrong:confused3

mikehn
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
The cost of medical care all by itself should be enough to encourage anyone to buy insurance. Who cares about the cost of the trip. That is peanuts compared to the cost of medical care if you were to get really sick. I buy insurance because I like to be able to sleep well at night. And 9 times out of 10, thats all you get, is a good night sleep.

Davids-Coco
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
With most policies, pre-existing conditions also applies to non-traveling family members. My brother-in-law didn't have a pre-existing condition for heart problems, but I bought the insurance early because of other family members' pre-existing conditions.

Thank you so much for this!!! We booked a rolling res a couple years ago. Missed out on the 14-21 day ones and would have been an issue anyway (I guess) because we have to add another person now. This is exactly what I was looking for.

ETA: Hmmm, neither of these are showing as options for me on insure my trip. And figured out why. CSA requires it to be bought within 18 months of departure. HTH is 12 months or less.

lbgraves
01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Regarding the cost of DCL insurance versus others...most companies have children insured for free with the purchase of an adult policy. We have been able to insure our trips for around $85 with Access America. The PC EB repo was $120 but that included our 15 day cruise, 5 days at DL and the travel to and from the ports home for the four of us. Another benefit is that DCL insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions. You can get coverage for these with other policies.

DisneyRN1
01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi,
For our upcoming B2B cruise, we will probably VERY RELUCTANTLY purchase the insurance. Without going into my personal BAD experience with the travel insurance, I just want to make sure that everyone knows that the insurance only covers injuries or illnesses during the actual travel. If you have an injury that will require additional care once you go home, the travel insurance will not cover it. It also will not pay anything untill your own private insurance/Medicare pays or issues you a refusal to pay. And in particular while cruising outside the U.S., it goes into a very confusing thing about the place of injury, and the closest American hospital. It has been about 8 months, and we have still not been reimbursed for the expenses we had to pay out of pocket.
Hopefully, our situation is not the norm, especially from what other posters have said. I am NOT!!!! advising people to refrain from purchasing the travel insurance. But just actually either read the policy(as if anyone could understand it) or, ask the issurer to explain the policy to you, and don't be afraid to ask questions.......Vicki

Schachteles
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I am wondering about trip insurance...we have never taken it out before...we are doing the 7 night cruise in October and are flying in on the Saturday mornining the cruise leaves. We leave Minneapolis at 5am on Delta, layover for 50 minutes in Atlanta and then arrive just after 11am in Orlando. We have never been delayed heading to Orlando before, but of course this would be the one time it would happen...does travelers insurance cover those flight delays?!?

mommavon
01-20-2009, 10:12 AM
So I took a moment to review everything on this thread, went to the website insuremytrip.com and then called and spoke with the agent. I did not buy mine on the website, I added it with my trip. My plan cost $232 for the three of us nad the others online that were not as comprehensive were $169-$200.

Here's how some the site websites as stated above versus the travel agencies insurance works. I will use my plan for example to the ones on the website if this helps you with your decision.

The maximum medical is $50K no matter how many people are on the plan, on mine plan it's $50K times 3 of us.

If I have a loss everything must be claimed after I return home.

If my flight is delayed due to weather or something listed on the package up to 3 hours, I can claim up to the amount I paid for the trip and get reimbursed. Other plans you must miss 24 consecutive hours.

Some plans let you reschedule for a later date, my plan allows me to get the money back and then rebook or do what I want with the money.

I do have $500 of emergency cash available to me, if needed.

She gave me lots of other details but every scenario cannot be covered so if you have a particular question. Call them, preview the plan, write notes, compare and feel free to PM me.

Tootles - 68 days! :hourglass

krisces
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
We have only had great experiences with Insuremytrip.com. On the EB Repo, both my daughter and I had to see the medical teem.... I had the beginning of a sinus infection, my daughter had conjuctivitis.

The cost we had to pay up front, was more than $300! We got home and I called TravelInsured and they emailed me the form to fill out. It was not that bad, and I sent it in with the documents they asked for. Within 3 weeks, I had my check, in full. Plus I did not have to wait for Blue Cross to deny coverage.:)

IMHO, you should always pay the small premium for travel insurance. As other threads and posters can attest to: the cancellation rules for DCL or any other cruise line are pretty well laid out and adhered to. I can't afford not to see my thousands of dollars back should we not be able to cruise.

Jeanne B
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I am wondering about trip insurance...we have never taken it out before...we are doing the 7 night cruise in October and are flying in on the Saturday mornining the cruise leaves. We leave Minneapolis at 5am on Delta, layover for 50 minutes in Atlanta and then arrive just after 11am in Orlando. We have never been delayed heading to Orlando before, but of course this would be the one time it would happen...does travelers insurance cover those flight delays?!?

We bought trip insurance for the first time a few years ago for our first cruise. We didn't have a delay but our flight out of MHT was canceled due to weather, we ended up driving back home thinking we were going to have to cancel the cruise :sad: (we were flying in 2 days early and the only flights available that we could rebook on were the day of our cruise and they were cutting it too close)...as it turns out, after we got home, I found flights on JetBlue out of Boston that got us there in time enough for the cruise. And coming back BOS was closed for 2 days due to a blizzard so we were stuck in Florida for 3 days (which is fine when it's warm but they were having the coldest temps they'd had in 2 years:sad2:).

We bought the insurance through the cruiseline and within 4-5 weeks we had a check from them for all of our added expenses so I was very pleased at how quick and painless the claims process was.

After our first cruise I found that you could buy trip insurance independently for less money so since then I've always used TravelGuard (I only buy trip insurance for cruises).

Vegaslover
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
There truly is so much to compare. I have used the website quotewright.com twice. I luckily haven't had to file a claim, but I have had to call and ask questions and their customer service is great.

We chose Worldwide Trip Protector Lite Expanded from Travel Insured international. Pre existing conditions covered if you buy the policy within 14 days after making deposit, cancellation coverage because of illness w/ doctors note notification must be received before departure (this is important because some policies require you to notify them 48 to 72 hours before departure), evacuation coverage, cancellation for job loss/layoffs, trip interruption, etc. It truly was not that much cheaper than Disney's coverage, maybe $30 difference, but it was better coverage.

Just do lots of side by side comparisions once you start reading the fine print on these policies, you'll get an idea of all the "what ifs." You just need to figure out which "what if" is the most important to you.

jship210
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Around 40K to be airlifted off the ship for medical...... FYI, insurance covers it.
If your child required medical attention not available on board the $150. would be well spent.
Something to be said for peace of mind.

Just a thought.