PDA

View Full Version : New Mythos Anniversary Menu

TheSecondCook
05-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Well, it's our 3 year anniversary coming up, so the chefs have decided to create a menu with some of our all time favorites on it. This is going to be a MAJOR overhaul, very few items on our current menu are staying. Fearing termination, I won't post the new (old) menu until all items, descriptions and prices have been finalized. I believe we are starting this in a week of two, so maybe I'll be able to clue you all in more this Friday or so.

Sherrilatte
05-19-2002, 05:36 PM
I can hardly wait:bounce: Hope you have a good vegetarian dish included!!:wave:

CPM
05-19-2002, 10:23 PM
I love change, can't wait to see it! Hopefully the incredible risotto will be there! :)
BTW secondcook, I caught a glimpse of you while dining on Mother's Day then when I left you were nowhere to be found:(
Great job, food was excellent!

johare
05-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Great news...I was begining to wonder if they would ever change that menu. Please tell me that their getting rid of that aweful lobster/corn chowder concoction. Little tired of seeing the cedar plank salmon on every single special menu they've done for the past year. :-)

MIB999999
05-21-2002, 05:39 PM
sorry things are so fast and on the change in the big town of Oviedo.

Slowpoke orlando and Universal will have to try to catch up.

:D

johare
05-21-2002, 10:05 PM
sorry things are so fast and on the change in the big town of Oviedo. Slowpoke orlando and Universal will have to try to catch up. What does 'Slowpoke Orlando' have to do with this discussion and what does Oviedo or any other town have to do with the Mythos menu?

btw: The Oviedo McDonald's changes their menu more often than Mythos does and you couldn't pay me to live in Orange County.

pathubia
05-22-2002, 08:22 AM
personally I like the corn/lobster bisque

Patty

CPM
05-22-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by pathubia
Patty

Me too! :)

MsDisney
05-22-2002, 11:19 AM
The Oviedo McDonald's changes their menu more often than Mythos does and you couldn't pay me to live in Orange County.

Mythos changes its base menu pretty regularly (more so than many restaurants I've seen) but what changes daily and/or weekly are the specials. They keep a regular base menu (with popular choices like the lobster/corn bisque and the cedar plank salmon, but then you never really know what your other choices will be as they change the specials sometimes daily! I would imagine they've been around longer because of their popularity...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :D
Personally, I don't like either of them, but it doesn't mean that others don't, or that they should take them off the menu.:rolleyes: The truth be told, I almost never order off of the regular menu any longer as the specials are usually quite imaginitive and tasty!
I sure do miss the tortilla soup though! :rolleyes: :mad: :D

Karen

johare
05-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Every time I've been there for about the past year, the menu on special ocassions has been exactly the same (ie, the $30 per person deal). I often go with the risotto of the day which has been good 2 out of 3 times. The cedar plank salmon was ok, but nothing special and certainly not as good as some of the the other things I've tried there. I still can't figure out how that lobster/corn concoction could be popular with anyone...yuck! :confused: :D

MsDisney
05-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by johare
Every time I've been there for about the past year, the menu on special ocassions has been exactly the same (ie, the $30 per person deal). I often go with the risotto of the day which has been good 2 out of 3 times. The cedar plank salmon was ok, but nothing special and certainly not as good as some of the the other things I've tried there. I still can't figure out how that lobster/corn concoction could be popular with anyone...yuck! :confused: :D

Yeah, they do tend to stick with that same special ocassion menu, the feast of the Gods or a variation thereof, but they have had some wonderful plated specials (aside from the risotto of the day) and those change daily and/or weekly. My personal favorite was the filet/lobster tail combo...but Kevin had a prime rib once with a lobster stuffed baked potato or something...I'd love to get a chance to try THAT special! :rolleyes:
They also have wine dinners from time to time that would be fun...
There are alot of things people eat that I can't comprehend, many of them involve fish...I'm strictly a shellfish person, but the smell of the bisque doesn't even appeal to me. I guess to each his own! :rolleyes:
On the risotto note, I hope they continue to offer a risotto of the day in addition to other specials!!! :)
Karen

TheSecondCook
05-23-2002, 10:00 PM
msdisney-well, i hate to disapoint you, but the risooto is going to a static lobster risoto. However, we will be adding a pasta special of the day, so that sould be good. On the upside, the asparagus soup is leaving...mad props if you can guess what's replacing it! ;)

MsDisney
05-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by TheSecondCook
msdisney-well, i hate to disapoint you, but the risooto is going to a static lobster risoto. However, we will be adding a pasta special of the day, so that sould be good. On the upside, the asparagus soup is leaving...mad props if you can guess what's replacing it! ;)

You're getting to be more elusive than Earl!!! :eek:

Ok...pasta of the day sounds good, so long as EVERY day doesn't have seafood in it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lobster risotto, I can think of WORSE things!!! ;) ;) :D

So...is there some *mild* chance that the tortilla soup will make a comeback??? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :confused:

Karen

CPM
05-23-2002, 11:53 PM
msdisney-well, i hate to disapoint you, but the risooto is going to a static lobster risoto.

I love Lobster risotto, but what is static risotto?

MsDisney
05-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by CPM

I love Lobster risotto, but what is static risotto?

I think it clings to socks....not sure though... :rolleyes:

Karen :D :D :D

pathubia
05-24-2002, 10:00 AM
LOL, clings to socks, LOL:D :D :D :D :D

MarieCW
05-24-2002, 02:59 PM
So, any word yet on what the new menu will be? I've been following this thread anxiously, can't wait to hear. We're visiting Universal in August, and have heard so many great things about Mythos. My family is vegetarian, andI'm hoping there'll be something wonderful for us!

Marie

TheSecondCook
05-26-2002, 07:44 AM
cpm- it means that on the menu it will be "lobster risotto," not "risotto of the day" which utilizes our creativity and fresh ingredients. Now, that creativity will be turned on this new pasta of the day special.

msdiz- mad props!

TheSecondCook
06-01-2002, 01:32 AM
Well, day one of our new anniversary menu is in the books. It went really well and we got great reviews. There are alot of menu items/changes to cover, and it wil take me a while to post them all. I just got back from seeing episode 2 in digital projection, so I'm barely keeping my eyelids open. I'll post it tommorrow night after I get together with my school team and work on our presentation. Take it easy !

MIB999999
06-03-2002, 03:33 PM
The Corvina is back and as good as it was a year ago. This is the first dish i ever had a Mythos.

The Apple Tatin is back and the Praline Cheescake roll-up for dessert.

MsDis is in tortilla soup heaven with the return of this tasty soup.

The lobster rissoto looked good and will be lunch the next time we visit IOA. :smooth:

WebmasterBarry
06-03-2002, 04:24 PM
What has pork brains in it though? :)

MsDisney
06-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Barry Hom
What has pork brains in it though? :)

Your backpack...

:D :D :D

Karen

MaryAnnDVC
06-07-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by pathubia

Patty Me too!

MarieCW
06-25-2002, 12:45 PM
I'd love to see the new menu :D Was it posted anywhere?

WebmasterBarry
06-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I don't think there is one, but the Balsmic Chicken was awesome! The potato was like a hash brown. The chicken had some sort of BBQ sauce with a zing to it. My stomach was in heaven on Sunday.

I also had the tempura shrimp sushi and that was killer sushi, perhaps the best I've tasted. The strawberry shortcake desert was good, but not as good as the bananna gooey cake!

MarieCW
06-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Any vegetarian dishes that you can remember?

WebmasterBarry
06-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Not offhand. I think there are salads, but that's probably it.

MarieCW
06-25-2002, 05:53 PM
:( >>grumble<< I keep hearing how great Mythos is, and from what I've read the atmosphere sounds fantastic. I'd love to enjoy a meal there, but it doesn't sound vegetarian friendly. :(

sharbear
06-26-2002, 05:36 AM
I first want to say that I am not a vegetarian but when I went to Mythos I had a non-meat meal. I ordered the corn and lobster bisque. If you don't eat fish (my friend who is vegetarian does) you can order just the corn bisque. It is two soups in one and you could order just the corn. IMHO the corn was much better than the lobster (it was way too salty). But I don't know if the soup is made with chicken stock. I also had the mixed green salad with feta cheese. It was so good. With bread I had plenty to eat. I would call the restaurant and see how they could help you, I can't imagine that you are the first vegetarian to eat there.

I hope that this helps

Sharbear

MarieCW
06-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Thanks Sharbear, we'll be at Universal/IOA for a few days so maybe I will stop by early in the week and check out their menu and see what they are able/willing to come up with. I don't eat fish, so that's not an option for me. It just sounds like a great place, I'd really like to experience it.

MsDisney
06-26-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MarieCW
:( >>grumble<< I keep hearing how great Mythos is, and from what I've read the atmosphere sounds fantastic. I'd love to enjoy a meal there, but it doesn't sound vegetarian friendly. :(

I know there ARE salads, they aren't your traditional garden salads, and I've never tried any of them. (aside from something with tomato and mozzarella, not so much a salad as an appetizer, IMO)
But, they have a shrimp and penne (can't think of how it's described or it's official name on the menu :rolleyes: ) and they will leave the shrimp out for you, no problem. It's in a cream sauce and personally, I don't care for the shrimp in it, so it's good "as is". They now have a pasta of the day, and I'm sure that varies as to whether they can leave the meat out or not, but I would imagine they could often do that...
A salad or pasta and one of the really yummy desserts they have there would make for a nice lunch, with great atmosphere!
Oh, I think there is cheese ravioli on the kids menu too...you could always have that and dessert, I get kids' meals there sometimes because I always have to get the tortilla soup, and then I share dessert. That's more than enough food!!! :eek:
They have a wonderful staff there and will be more than happy to try to accomodate you!!! :)
Karen

MarieCW
06-26-2002, 11:36 AM
It does sound worth a shot, I will stop by and at least check it out. Thanks.

TheSecondCook
06-30-2002, 09:52 AM
MArieCW- Tell me what exactly you can't have (ie- cream, cheese, chix stock, eggs, etc..). I'll reply what you can order and how to order the mto avoid any no-no's to your diet.

TheSecondCook
06-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Shew, when it rains it pours (Especially here in Florida! The weather's been killer the past couple of weeks, though we badly need the torential downpours to replenish our depleted aquifer). I've been REALLY busy with school, work and moving in that same timespan, so I'm sorry that I'm just now posting the new menu changes.

Tostones: Plantain nachos w/ blackbean coulis, cheddar cheese, mango salsa and mojito (a latin garlic sauce).

Tortilla Soup: Popular return of this spicy, chicken-based tortilla soup. Served w/ sour cream.

Cedar planked shrimp salad- cedar planked shrimp w/ citrus-balsamic, tomatos and marinated feta.

Crab Cocktail- four crab claws w/ cocktai lsauce and lemons.

Pan-Roasted Corvina Provancel- Corvina w/ roasted garlic mash, tomato coulis, rapini, calamata olives and roasted garlic cloves.

Chili-fried softshell crab- chili-beer battered soft shells w/ rosti potatro cup, spinach, carmelized pearl onions, roasted peppers, pancetta, fried leeks w/ a BBQ holandaise.

Lobster Risotto- Lobster risotto w/ claw, tail and knuckle meat, lobster reduction and spinach.

Pasta of the day- daily creation.

Tuna mignon- oriental marinated tuna tenderloin, w/ wasabi mash, napa cabbage, teriyaki sauce, grilled sh itaki shrooms and fried rice noodles.

Tasting of chocolate- gooey cake, choc run creme brulee, choc muerrenge w/ choc espresso ice cream, choc dipped strawberry, and fried choc truffle.

Kahlula creme brulle- w/ cocount macaroon.

Strawberry shortcake- w/ fresh strawberries, whipped topping, and vanilla ice cream.

fried praline cheesecake w/ frangelica strawberries, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.

apple tatin w/ candied almonds, whipped topping, dried apple slice and red hot cinamon ice cream.

Shew! Keep in mind these are the new additions. The old standbys balasmaic chicken, steak, shrimp primavera, etc. are all still there.

Have a good (dry) day!
Randy

MarieCW
06-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Randy/TheSecondCook - Thanks for the offer, and for posting the new menu items. I'm just your basic ovo-lacto vegetarian - I do eat dairy and eggs, no (once living) animal products. I don't eat chicken (including stock/broth), fish, or meat.

Mythos sounds like such a great place, I'd love to try it, and with some info ahead of time from you I think it will be even more enjoyable. I really hate having to ask about, for example, chicken stock in soups - I really don't expect the server to have every recipe memorized - but if I know what to avoid ahead of time that would be great.

Thanks so much!

nhrenee
06-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi Marie,
I'm a veggie too. I've had the Shrimp Penne minus the shrimp that MsDis recommended. It's excellent but very rich, like an alfredo.

My first meal there I had the mozarella and tomato salad. It's excellent, beautiful and a great start to your meal. I followed that with the mushroom ragout (from the appetizer menu). I believe they also bring bread to the table. For dessert I had the banana gooey cake (heaven on earth!!:Pinkbounc).

I wanted to try the risotto but like most it was made with chicken stock.

Wonderful restaurant!!

nhrenee
06-30-2002, 07:21 PM
Kahlula creme brulle- w/ cocount macaroon.

Wow! That sounds incredible! Thanks for posting all the new items secondcook.

gschmerl
06-30-2002, 09:21 PM
Thanks Randy. Can't wait until we get there Wednesday so I can taste some of those items!!

TheSecondCook
07-04-2002, 08:25 AM
mariecw-
The fact you can eat dairy does make our jobs easier. When we get vegans in, they do limit both their and our options, though we are always happy to accomodate special requests.

Salad wise, you'll have to skip the ceasar (anchovies), the cedar planked shrimp salad, leave the chicken out of the chinese chicken, and pass on the baked proscuitto piece on the tomato salad. The house is perfectly fine.

Appetizer wise, you'll have to skip our soups (lobster bisque of course has lobster, corn bisque has bacon and tortilla soup is chix stock-based). You'll have to leave the black bean coulis off the tostones (chix stock). You'll probably have to have the meat left of the pizza of the day( (though in the past we have run veggie pizzas), skip the shrimp sushi, shrimp and crab claw cocktails. The mushrrom sautee would be a great chocie.

Entree wise, I would recommend the shrimp primavera minus the shrimp, pasta of the day (dpeneds on what it is that day; if it utilizes tomat coulis sauce, substitute marinara for the coulis has chix stock), wrap (ask for an all-vegie wrap and we'll create a good combination for you), or we can substituet a portabello sandwich for the hamburger.

Kid's, unfortunately, will be limited to the cheese pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich substituted for the kid's burger.

Desert wise, your family will be ok. I just want other vegetarians to be advised the gooey cake does contain eggs and heavy cream, and the apple tatin has butter.

wdisneelvr
07-05-2002, 07:04 AM
I just wanted to say that I have been on the DIS board for years...lurking and posting...and this post, by far has been one of the most informative and polite posts I have ever read.

I can't thank you enough for the excellent information given by Randy....you have no idea how much your valuable insight and knowledge has helped.

I plan on trying Mythos someday for all the wonderful reasons everyone has stated about this restaurant.

Again thanks for making my day!!! :p

MarieCW
07-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Randy - thanks so much for taking the time to post the veg-friendly info. I plan on stopping by, it sounds great and I very much want to experience it. Thanks for helping to make it easier and more pleasant, I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again for the great info, and your time.
:)

Pixie_Dust
07-06-2002, 12:28 PM

I love risotto but hate lobster. We (DH and food expert me) think pasta is a cheap trick for an expensive restaurant. It is cheap for you to make, common, starchy, tacky, well you get the drift. Plus how does it fit your "mythos" theme? Too bad we only get to vacation in FL every few years and will only experience your restaurant after the evil lobster and pasta plan has been put into effect.

damo
07-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Randy,

Can you bring back the barbecue chicken kids meal? It was such a great alternative to the traditional burger, pizza, spaghetti...
My kids raved about it for a whole year and then when we came back it was gone! Please?

MsDisney
07-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Pixie_Dust

I love risotto but hate lobster. We (DH and food expert me) think pasta is a cheap trick for an expensive restaurant. It is cheap for you to make, common, starchy, tacky, well you get the drift. Plus how does it fit your "mythos" theme? Too bad we only get to vacation in FL every few years and will only experience your restaurant after the evil lobster and pasta plan has been put into effect.

It IS a shame that they've done away with the risotto of the day...but the lobster risotto IS yummy. Mythos isn't exactly an expensive restaurant and there are those of us who enjoy pasta. They aren't just cooking up a plate of ziti and throwing Ragu on it either...I've had very good shrimp pasta, and compared to what you would pay elsewhere, they are pretty inexpensive. These aren't the only two options on the menu, by any means. I think that since they are a theme park restaurant, they are trying harder to appeal to a wider variety of people. They also have a wrap of the day...it's not a conspiracy, just their way of offering different selections for different tastes and degrees of appetite, I think...
They still have daily specials and such...and many other choices on the regular menu.
Karen

WebmasterBarry
07-11-2002, 09:33 PM
MsDisney is echoing what I've always said...Mythos food is great quality and the prices are reasonable, unlike the other "bam" place (although that is good for a special occasion).

JenniferW
07-11-2002, 09:41 PM
I'm getting hungry just reading about the desserts.

Thanks for posting!

Jenn

MIB999999
07-12-2002, 10:42 AM
having been exposed lately to more Disney eating places i have to say the Disney is 5 to 9 dollars per equivalent entree' than MYTHOS and the food quality and presentation is the same or in some cases better at MYTHOS.

the things they do with rissoto and pasta just has to be experienced to appreciate it.