PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best product to take for washing machine onboard?

scottie
01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Just curious if there are any decent compact washer detergents out there that can packed in the suitcase, maybe in a capsule type form, instead of buying it onboard? I imagine I could just measure some out and put it in plastic bags before we leave but was looking for something pre-packed other then the cardboard boxes you can buy out of machine type.

kcashner
01-17-2009, 11:12 AM
This issue is now REALLY complicated as some of the washers on the Magic are high efficiency and some have not been upgraded....I have a box of laundry "tablets" that I got a long time ago. I save it for the cruise because I can't find them any more.

Another thing I've done--if you have any empty prescription bottles or other small plastic bottles--measure the right amount into each one (dry detergent). I then put the bottle in a zip lock bag for extra security and pack in the suitcase.

GymboAddict
01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Another thing I've done--if you have any empty prescription bottles or other small plastic bottles--measure the right amount into each one (dry detergent). I then put the bottle in a zip lock bag for extra security and pack in the suitcase.

Thanks for the GREAT idea! I have used the plastic baggie thing - and I double bag to be on the safe side and just use the extra baggie for whatever later on.

But LOVIN' the pill bottle idea! :thumbsup2

Wendy

CruiseToSee
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
All the washing machines on the Magic on deck 6 are high efficiency. They work best with "E" detergents. Hope that helps.

scottie
01-17-2009, 01:12 PM
I was doing some searching online and they only thing I ran across that looked like a good idea and easy to transport were something call Dropps. Any one had experience with those onboard or another simliar product I might be able to find online or in the store?

quiltymom
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
If you're looking for small, travel-sized packs of detergent, Target has some single size liquid laundry detergent in their samples asile. I do believe that it is Tide, but you could use as little or as much as you need. I grabbed a bunch just to have on hand for trips - they are really handy!

Mini Sorcerer's Mom
01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Forgive me for not knowing but....what is 'E' detergent? We will be staying on deck 6 and I plan on doing laundry. I have a bunch of the TIDE travel size boxes, will they work or are they not 'E'?
Thanks!

kcashner
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
E is high efficiency stuff...made for high efficiency washers. You SHOULD use a high efficiency detergent with a high efficiency washer. I'll update you in a month, but my last check showed that on the Magic, some of the washers had been upgraded to HE and some had not. THey were still selling regular detergent in the dispensers.

tinytink
01-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I think what you want to look for is the HE stuff or use half of the regular detergent.

We personally like the tablets but like the pp said the tablets can't be found anywhere. I think when we bought our it was over 3 years ago at the military PX/BX. We looked again for our last cruise and we searched at CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Giant, Target, and Kmart with no luck. I've seen cruisers using gallons sizes bags with detergent in them. Good luck.

scottie
01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I think what you want to look for is the HE stuff or use half of the regular detergent.

We personally like the tablets but like the pp said the tablets can't be found anywhere. I think when we bought our it was over 3 years ago at the military PX/BX. We looked again for our last cruise and we searched at CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Giant, Target, and Kmart with no luck. I've seen cruisers using gallons sizes bags with detergent in them. Good luck.

Hopefully someone will be able to post some experience with the Dropps I saw online (appear to be at Target and drugstore.com and some others). They look to be the next best option to the tablets as a prepackaged detergent. They also look to be for HE washers

spaddy
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I have used the Dropps and love them. I use them at WDW all the time. I have not used them on the cruise, but they would work the same. I put a couple in a small container. They are really small and clean the clothes great. They are also very easy to just throw in the washer before the clothes.

jenseib
01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
our target had a small sample bottle of All in the sample aisle. It is supposed to be two washes.

tinytink
01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I just read up on Dropps and I love the concept, I will have to pick some up and test it out. It kinda reminds me of the dishwasher pacs, I wonder if you can use the dishwashing pac for the laundry in a pinch. The only thing about Dropps is it seem pretty expensive but since it's a HE formula it turns out to be a pretty good deal. Available at Walmart, Amazon, Target and Drugstore.com (according to the Dropps website.)

jilljill
01-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Love these sheets. They look like dryer sheets, but have the detergent and fabric softener built in and definately no mess. I need to order more for our cruises.
http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bdefasodrsh.html

scottie
01-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Love these sheets. They look like dryer sheets, but have the detergent and fabric softener built in and definately no mess. I need to order more for our cruises.
http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bdefasodrsh.html

Those look like a neat idea, bummer shipping is so much. I wonder if Walmart carries these in their as-seen-on-tv type isles?

krisces
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I was doing some searching online and they only thing I ran across that looked like a good idea and easy to transport were something call Dropps. Any one had experience with those onboard or another simliar product I might be able to find online or in the store?

Dropps are the best!! We used them for the EB Repo last August on the Magic, and were very happy with them! You can find them at dropps.com, Target, Walmart, and I have seen them on amazon.com.

Dropps are these very concentrated "balls" of detergent. You just throw them in the wash and viola! clean laundry.:)

Just remember to put them in a "harder" plastic container - like those Glad leftover "throwaways". That way you can pack them in your suitcase.