PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Cozumel

Mini Sorcerer's Mom
01-17-2009, 07:43 AM
We are cruising the Western in three weeks and I have a cozumel question:
We will be doing the Dolphin swim at 1pm and we plan on staying after the swim to enjoy the park. Before we head over to the Dolphins I wanted to shop the local market fair. How far is the shopping area from the ship? Are the shops usually open when the boat docks?
Thanks!!!

disneyfaninaz
01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
There is a shopping complex directly across the street from where the ship docks. The shops should definitely be open.

ohioworkingmom
01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
You can also walk up/down the main street, as far as you feel comfortable. We just did the Dolphin swim in the am, and walked the streets after lunch on the boat. Easy access to/from the pier where the Magic docks. The dolphin swim was really fun, there is not much else to do at the park once you are done though. It did take us all morning, got back to the boat around 12:30, and had left around 9:30 am.

Mini Sorcerer's Mom
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Did you make it in time for the early dolphin swim? I booked the 1pm because I was afraid I would not make it in time. Isn't there a beach that you can swim in at the Dolphin Encounter?

ohioworkingmom
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
We booked the swim (at Dophinarus) through Disney, so we didn't need to worry about the actual time. They had probably like 80 -100 people on it, broken down into groups of like 12. There is not a beach area that I remember. You go in, put stuff in lockers (no cameras of any sort allowed, unless you are an observer), sat at an instruction center, and they then broke us into groups, then took us all to the swim area with the dolphins. We spent a good hour or so in the water with them. When you are done, you can go back to your lockers and then look at the videos/pictures they take of you. I really don't remember another place to swim, but I could be wrong. I know in Cancun, the place there has a place to swim, but not the Cozumel one. It was still the best excursion we have ever done!!

FIREFIGHTERMICKEY
01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Youll have plenty of time for shopping. Its all right there. Is there anything in particular you want?

ibouncetoo
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel is beautiful.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel/cozumel-location-overview.asp

Chankanaab National Park is lovely, has a pool and beach area (a little rocky, water shoes are a good idea) and pretty decent food too! You could easily spend several hours there before or after your encounter. We were also allowed to bring our underwater cameras into the water with us.

You can also book directly whith them and save some money off of the DCL excursion price. It's a $10(ish) cab ride from the pier.

So, a morning of shopping is very doable and very convenient.

orlandothebeagle
01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
We were walking around the port area in Cozamel, one of the shopkeepers said(and I think this sums up the shopping pretty good)

Come in,,Same crap just cheaper::yes::

stlkeeler
01-17-2009, 01:19 PM
We booked the swim (at Dophinarus) through Disney, so we didn't need to worry about the actual time. They had probably like 80 -100 people on it, broken down into groups of like 12. There is not a beach area that I remember. You go in, put stuff in lockers (no cameras of any sort allowed, unless you are an observer), sat at an instruction center, and they then broke us into groups, then took us all to the swim area with the dolphins. We spent a good hour or so in the water with them. When you are done, you can go back to your lockers and then look at the videos/pictures they take of you. I really don't remember another place to swim, but I could be wrong. I know in Cancun, the place there has a place to swim, but not the Cozumel one. It was still the best excursion we have ever done!!

Someone at work told my DD that there was an aquarium of some kind at Dolphinarus. I don't remember reading anything about this. It is true? Is there anything else to do there? Lunch?

WiscBill
01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
We are cruising the Western in three weeks and I have a cozumel question:
We will be doing the Dolphin swim at 1pm and we plan on staying after the swim to enjoy the park. Before we head over to the Dolphins I wanted to shop the local market fair. How far is the shopping area from the ship? Are the shops usually open when the boat docks?
Thanks!!!

There are two locations for the Dophin encounters in Cozumel: Dolphinaris (within walking distance of the dock) and Chankannab Park (about 10 minutes by taxi). Through Disney, you can only swim with the dolphins at Dolphinaris, which is a series of pools. At Chankannab Park, you can only swim with the dolphins if you book directly, not through Disney. This park has a swiming pool, beach and faux Mayan ruins. However, the area for the dolphin encounter is more open to the sea and can close if the weather gets too windy.