PDA

View Full Version : I got an upgrade! Do I tell the hubby?

Evil Queen 2
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I signed in when I got home from work to complete my on line check in forms for our upcoming cruise. Didn't notice anything until I got to the signature form portion of the contract and saw we are assigned stateroom 6644. :cool1:

This is really cool in my opinion since we paid for a Cat 9 on Deck 2. We have usually stayed toward the middle of the ship on past cruises. Anyone have any input on pros/cons of this room. I looked at the stateroom reports but 6644 wasn't listed. As long as I'm on the ship as it pulls away from the dock I'm happy. :rotfl2:

I can't decide if I'll mention to DH now or wait until we get to the port.

goofygal1975
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
If you can keep it a secret..I say go for it! It would be a great surprise!! I have a hard time surprising DH...I can never keep quiet! LOL

congrats on the upgrade!!:thumbsup2

yazee1
01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Suprise him! You'll love watching the look of joyful comprehension on his face! That is, of course, if he hasn't planned a surprise for you by ordering champagne, flowers, or other goodies delivered to your old room!

Dh and I were similarly surprised on our first cruise when we checked in at the port. We had booked adjoining category 9's but were upgraded to connecting category 6 rooms. We're spoiled now. Gotta have the veranda. We tried an inside room on our last cruise. The cruise was great except for how we felt about the room.

kcashner
01-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Even if he planned a surprise delivered to your old room, DCL is usually quite good about having it sent to the new room.....except for one famous time.....

Evil Queen 2
01-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm going to try to keep the secret but it's so exciting it will be hard. We figured it was unlikely we would ever get an upgrade since it's just the 2 of us.

I looked up on Orbitz about the room and see it has the solid white wall verandah. Does that mean we more or less have an enclosed deck area?

And didn't realize it earlier but we were also moved to Main Dining! I had called a while back and requested to be waitlist for either Main dining or the earliest time of the 2nd seating. Eating really late doesn't agree with me much anymore. :rolleyes:

So kcashner what was the one famous time that DCL didn't get something forwarded to the new room?

tinytink
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
That is too cool, I would give him cabin# 2644 and send him on a wild goose chase then after a few minutes tell him "oops" I meant cabin 6644. That would be too funny.

disneyfaninaz
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
You are deck 6 aft. You have a solid wall verandah, but it is not a navigator's verandah. You also have easy access to the aft stairs up to Topsiders/BBB.

Keira1387
01-16-2009, 11:21 PM
When we cruised last time we were upgraded to 6650 and loved it! Like a PP said, you are just a short elevator ride to topsiders. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Evil Queen 2
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess what I meant is since it is a solid wall verandah I understanding we won't have any view of the ocean but is it somewhat open on the sides? Just to let air flow thru?

DH is having kind of a bad day as we had a pipe freeze during this last batch of extended minus temps. I told him just to think that this time next week we'll be getting on the ship to leave it all behind. He said he's thinking of staying on one of the islands and "forgetting" to come back. :rotfl:

disneyfaninaz
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
The only difference between your verandah and others is that the wall is solid, not plexiglass. It is not a navigator verndah, so it is not enclosed. You will be able to stand on your verandah and have a clear view.

Evil Queen 2
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for explaining about the solid wall. I wasn't sure if that meant the bottom half was solid or if it meant view was blocked.

I'm really getting excited for this trip! :cheer2:

sftnslky
01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
The only difference between your verandah and others is that the wall is solid, not plexiglass. It is not a navigator verndah, so it is not enclosed. You will be able to stand on your verandah and have a clear view.

How can we find out what type of verandah we have? I just assumed all verandah's were the clear plexiglass ones.. Now I am starting to worry. We are in connecting cabins 6620 & 6622. Thanks for any information. :thumbsup2

disneyfaninaz
01-17-2009, 10:59 PM
You have plexiglass verandahs. Solid wall verandahs are at the very aft of the ship.

sftnslky
01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
You have plexiglass verandahs. Solid wall verandahs are at the very aft of the ship.

:thumbsup2 Thank you so much. For future cruise's how would we be able to tell? Is the info on thier website? Or I might check my passporter and see if they have it in their. :upsidedow

disneyfaninaz
01-18-2009, 09:19 AM
When you look at a diagram of the decks, if there is an * in the room. This denotes a solid wall verandah. Again, they are at the very aft of the ship.

sftnslky
01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
When you look at a diagram of the decks, if there is an * in the room. This denotes a solid wall verandah. .

Thank you so very much. :flower3:

noritake1
01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
HI how far out is your cruise? I'm going in AUg of this year have 2 rooms I have 5 kids. I was wondering about asking about possible paying for upgrade when we check in. Is this possible? This is a wish trip for my 1 child and I want all things to be really great and I don't mind mind paying for it. If they ever offer a comp. upgrade when do those mainly take place thanks in advance Jill

sftnslky
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
HI how far out is your cruise? I'm going in AUg of this year have 2 rooms I have 5 kids. I was wondering about asking about possible paying for upgrade when we check in. Is this possible? This is a wish trip for my 1 child and I want all things to be really great and I don't mind mind paying for it. If they ever offer a comp. upgrade when do those mainly take place thanks in advance Jill

Who are you asking? The orginal poster or someone who replied to the thread? Let us know and I'm sure we can help you out. :thumbsup2

B9erSteve
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM

If any upgrades are avail at port you can buy them at a discount. This is a rare occurance since I believe that it is Disney's policy to bump people up to higher categories in order to fill the lower category rooms which are more easily discounted and thus filled quicker.

aznaphrodite
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
When you book through a travel agent like Dreams Unlimited, can you be upgraded as well? They've already assigned me a room.

nokidz
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
When you book through a travel agent like Dreams Unlimited, can you be upgraded as well? They've already assigned me a room.
You can still be visited by the upgrade fairy! We had an assigned room and went from a cat 7 to cat 4 on our last cruise. :cool1:

aznaphrodite
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
You can still be visited by the upgrade fairy! We had an assigned room and went from a cat 7 to cat 4 on our last cruise. :cool1:

That's cool! When do you find out about the upgrade?

Evil Queen 2
01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, I found out on Friday night when I signed in to finish my on line check in paperwork and we cruise this weekend.

When I received our documents from DCL for the cruise about Jan. 8th-9th it still showed our stateroom as being the Cat 9 on Deck 2 we originally booked. So I figure you can find out about an upgrade anytime right up to the time you check in at the port.

So far I have managed not to spill the secret to the hubby but I'm glad he is out of town for business this week. He had to travel to the east coast and took his vacation suitcase in case he gets delayed and has to meet me in Orlando.

While I was shoveling the snow from my driveway, again, I kept thinking just a few more days, just a few more days. :rotfl:

aznaphrodite
01-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Evil Queen - Thanks for the info! There is still hope for us yet! Congrats on getting the upgrade and have a great time on your cruise!!

bevgray
01-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Just in case there is still some confusion, the aft cabins have a solid verandah. This means just the bottom half of the rail is solid. It is not "enclosed" like the Navigator verandahs. Other than that, you are wide open to sun, sea, and sky. Many passengers prefer the plexiglas because they can see the ocean from inside the cabin and when they sit on the chairs on the verandah. With the solid, you can only see the ocean if you stand up. I had one on my last trip and, while I prefer the clear, it was fine. Still was a very nice place to have breakfast or to unwind in the evening.

nokidz
01-20-2009, 07:53 AM
That's cool! When do you find out about the upgrade?

We received a call from our TA the day before the cruise. We were in Orlando shopping at a KMart.:thumbsup2

Evil Queen 2
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
I received a call from DCL today confirming our stateroom upgrade. She said just to change the stateroom number on our luggage tags and the rest of our documents were good to go.

I am so excited to get the surprise upgrade! :hyper:

B9erSteve
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
That's so Cool. We were upgraded from Cat 9 to Cat 5 on our last cruise. The balcony was so nice to have. Enjoy your cruise!

Evil Queen 2
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to keep the upgrade a surprise until Friday night! :cool1:

Since we were using "freebies" for our airfare I upgraded us to Business class when I did the on line check in. I thought I would get us off to a great start. DH thought that was great and started his non-stop nap before we left the gate. :lmao:

We were staying at the airport Hyatt so after dinner wander around a bit before heading back to the room. I got out the luggage tags to put on the suitcases for DCL transfers and the "contract" page of the on line check in for him to sign so we had everything ready for next morning. So that's when I told him that I had gotten a call from DCL a couple of days earlier and there was a change to our cruise. He immediately thought they had changed one of the ports since it happened once before after Cozumel was wiped out with a hurricane. And he was hoping we were going back to Nassau again when I said "No we got upgraded to a Cat 6 with verandah." So after a couple of moments of shock he started the Happy Dance. party:

It was great!

jilljill
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to keep the upgrade a surprise until Friday night! :cool1:

Since we were using "freebies" for our airfare I upgraded us to Business class when I did the on line check in. I thought I would get us off to a great start. DH thought that was great and started his non-stop nap before we left the gate. :lmao:

We were staying at the airport Hyatt so after dinner wander around a bit before heading back to the room. I got out the luggage tags to put on the suitcases for DCL transfers and the "contract" page of the on line check in for him to sign so we had everything ready for next morning. So that's when I told him that I had gotten a call from DCL a couple of days earlier and there was a change to our cruise. He immediately thought they had changed one of the ports since it happened once before after Cozumel was wiped out with a hurricane. And he was hoping we were going back to Nassau again when I said "No we got upgraded to a Cat 6 with verandah." So after a couple of moments of shock he started the Happy Dance. party:

It was great!

That's great you were able to keep it a surprise that long. 2 upgrades in 1 trip, what a great way to start off a vacation.
Glad you had a great time. :thumbsup2

mmouse37
02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I was just in 6648 on the 1/17/09 Magic (2 doors aft from your cabin). Loved our location. Our verandah was a bit deeper than yours will be due to the curve of the ship (you can see the difference on the deck plans). We had Kenneth as our room host and he was very good. Made us different animals every night.

Here is link to my room report...there are 3 reports for that room...mine is the third but they are all basically the same.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=6648

I have stayed in solid wall verandahs before and enjoy them.

For the poster who was inquiring on how to tell if they had a solid wall or not....when you look at a deck plan any cabin aft of the pink Navigator verandah's are solid wall verandahs..as mentioned before they have an * on the deck plan as well. It is just due to the structure and curve of the ship.

Enjoy your upgrade. We had breakfast out there a few times and had some wine and cheese as well!!! Also did some reading out there. Only problem we had was when it rained our verandah did not drain....the next day when there was still standing water a crew came up and wet-vacced the verandah. They did the cabins on either side of us as well so if it happens to you just call guest service and they will send someone up to clean up the water.

Duh....I just re-read your last post and realized you are back already!! Did you have any rain? Did you have Kenneth? How did you like the verandah?

MJ

tracyz
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
How can we find out what type of verandah we have? I just assumed all verandah's were the clear plexiglass ones.. Now I am starting to worry. We are in connecting cabins 6620 & 6622. Thanks for any information. :thumbsup2

Can someone tell me if this is true? We're in room 6622 and it has an asterisk...I've been bumming because I was under the impression that we have a solid white wall, but there was nothing else available.

tracyz
02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry...I didn't realize there were multiple pages to this post before I replied. My question was already answered. We have a solid wall verandah.:sad:

B9erSteve
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM

It was great!

that's great! I wouldn't have been able to hold out that long!

Evil Queen 2
02-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Holding out on telling the hubby was easier as he was traveling for business that week arriving back home late the night before we left. And while he was on the road there was on time for a couple of short phone calls. :goodvibes

Yes we had Kenneth for our stateroom host. He as fantastic! :thumbsup2 Only time we ever saw him was in the hallway outside of other cabins.

We were thrilled with the verandah and probably are spoiled so we will always want one.

I spent a long week getting caught up at work from being gone for the week. I am so ready to get back on the ship. :cool1: