PDA

View Full Version : First Timer--is this a good deal?

ribbot
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi all---first time UO visitors---trying to plan a trip for June---Hubby, Myself and 8 year old.

After a trip to AAA---I was quoted $1584 for a Water View Room 2 Queens at Royal Pacific. Is this a good deal?

We normally visit Disney, but are looking for something maybe a little more relaxing this time around. Are there any discounts out there that I might be missing?

Any and all info would be appreciated! Thanks!

damo
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi all---first time UO visitors---trying to plan a trip for June---Hubby, Myself and 8 year old.

After a trip to AAA---I was quoted $1584 for a Water View Room 2 Queens at Royal Pacific. Is this a good deal?

We normally visit Disney, but are looking for something maybe a little more relaxing this time around. Are there any discounts out there that I might be missing?

Any and all info would be appreciated! Thanks!

For how many nights is this and what are the exact dates?

ribbot
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
For how many nights is this and what are the exact dates?

Whoops---sorry! It's for 7 nights (the buy 4 get 3 free promotion) June 7-14th.

I also just found on UO's website that kids under 9 eat free through June 10th since it's a value week..... I would assume this is only if the Adult meal plan is purchased?

Bluer101
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
On universals website shows $1186 for water view room. That is room only no tickets.

karatepamy
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
does it include any tickets?

Metro West
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
does it include any tickets?Probably just the room...no tickets included.

karatepamy
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
that's what i'm figuring. i know that there is a promotion called, stay for four, play for free. when you stay for four nights, you receive two seven-day/two-park tickets. i didn't know if the deal she received through aaa is similar.

ribbot
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes it IS for the tickets too!

It's 7 nights Water View 2 Queens at Royal Pacific. It includes 2 park Unlimited Tickets for 7 days.

So I'm assuming from all your responses that it MUST be a good deal?

It does NOT include the insurance.

To downgrade to the standard room is $1449.

ky07
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I think the op is quoting from AAA's universal vacations and if so that includes standard 2 queen room 2 adults 1 junior 2 park unlimited tickets and if you don't take the travel protection then it is $1400 and something

ribbot
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I think the op is quoting from AAA's universal vacations and if so that includes standard 2 queen room 2 adults 1 junior 2 park unlimited tickets and if you don't take the travel protection then it is $1400 and something

For $1584.66 that is 7 nights at RP in an upgraded waterview room with 2 park unlimited tickets for all 3 of us without the insurance.

For $1449.63 that is 7 nights at RP in a standard room with 2 park unlimited tickets for all 3 of us without the insurance.

karatepamy
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
this is a great deal then. have fun.

Metro West
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes it IS for the tickets too!

It's 7 nights Water View 2 Queens at Royal Pacific. It includes 2 park Unlimited Tickets for 7 days.

So I'm assuming from all your responses that it MUST be a good deal?

It does NOT include the insurance.

To downgrade to the standard room is $1449. WOW...jump on that before it sells out for your dates!

ribbot
01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I've already got it on hold for 5 days.......unless I'm missing something, but it seems pretty sweet to me!

Ok, next question........is there transportation to and from RP? do they offer a comp shuttle or anything like that?

karatepamy
01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
you can either take the complimentary shuttle or the complimentary water taxis. both have great access to the parks. the water taxis drop you off in citywalk and it's about equal walking distance to both parks. the complimentary shuttle drops you off in what's called celebrity circle. it's right next to the entrance of universal and about five minutes walking distance to islands.

donaldduck352
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
That is a great deal..:thumbsup2

donaldduck352
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I've already got it on hold for 5 days.......unless I'm missing something, but it seems pretty sweet to me!

Ok, next question........is there transportation to and from RP? do they offer a comp shuttle or anything like that?

Like to the parks to the resort.The last poster answerd..

From MCO no.Look into Mears for that!!

ribbot
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
you can either take the complimentary shuttle or the complimentary water taxis. both have great access to the parks. the water taxis drop you off in citywalk and it's about equal walking distance to both parks. the complimentary shuttle drops you off in what's called celebrity circle. it's right next to the entrance of universal and about five minutes walking distance to islands.

Thank you! I edited this----got my answer about the airport transportation :)

damo
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
You can easily walk from RPR to anywhere in the resort. It is about a 10 minute walk to Islands of Adventure and about a 15 minute walk to Universal Studios.

You don't need to buy a meal deal for children to eat free during value weeks. They simply eat free when an adult dines with them.

karatepamy
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
you're welcome. not sure when the shuttles stop running, but the water taxis stop about 2:15am on average.

ribbot
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
You can easily walk from RPR to anywhere in the resort. It is about a 10 minute walk to Islands of Adventure and about a 15 minute walk to Universal Studios.

You don't need to buy a meal deal for children to eat free during value weeks. They simply eat free when an adult dines with them.

My AAA rep told me I can't use that offer since I'm using the Buy 4 get 3 free nights one....would you know if this is true? or you're saying it's automatically free no matter what? even if we aren't on the meal plan?

damo
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
My AAA rep told me I can't use that offer since I'm using the Buy 4 get 3 free nights one....would you know if this is true? or you're saying it's automatically free no matter what? even if we aren't on the meal plan?

I just checked your rates through www.loewshotels.com and it works out to $1240 including taxes room only. If you then add $300 for tickets you get about the same thing you were quoted.

What I would do is call Loews directly and ask about the kids eating free. From what I understand it is included with all rooms during value weeks. It is available for kids under 9 and they must eat off the kids menu at the hotel restaurants only.

You can book through Loews as well and then if there are any changes in pricing you deal directly through them. You really don't need to book through your AAA agent since you are not using a AAA deal.

Here is what the Loews website says -- Each child(ren) must be accompanied by an adult/legal guardian at all times and show/provide wristband per child(ren) and valid onsite hotel room key card per room member. Offer valid for 3 or more night stays during Extra Value Weeks only (1/4 - 2/11, 4/19-6/10, 8/16-9/30 & 11/29-12/17/09). Offer applies to select hotel restaurants only, days/hours of operation may vary. Not valid for room service. One free child meal with purchase of each adult entrée, valid for children up to and including age 9 dining from Kids Menu at lunch & dinner only.

That info is all on this page. It does not say anywhere that the two deals are mutually exclusive. It actually looks like they are part of the same package.

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/Royal-Pacific-Resort/Offers/PackageDetails.aspx?XsltParams=PackageId,1&cm_sp=HomePromoBanner-_-SuperSavingsRoyalPacific-_-SuperSavingsRoyalPacific

pixeegrl
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I would book your AAA rate through Loews so that if your rate lowers at any time you can change it. Let us know how the meal works out.

damo
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I would book your AAA rate through Loews so that if your rate lowers at any time you can change it. Let us know how the meal works out.

I don't actually think she is getting the AAA rate, but instead the Super Saver rate (buy 4 get 3 free) so even more reason to deal directly with Loews. They know more of what they are talking about (however, sometimes we know more than they do, lol) than dealing with a AAA agent.

ky07
01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't actually think she is getting the AAA rate, but instead the Super Saver rate (buy 4 get 3 free) so even more reason to deal directly with Loews. They know more of what they are talking about (however, sometimes we know more than they do, lol) than dealing with a AAA agent.
your right damo cause the way it breaks down is booking thru loews room total $1135.20 and tickets are $305.96 for a total of 1441.16 and I know they might not think it too much cheaper but hey every dollar counts

ribbot
01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
your right damo cause the way it breaks down is booking thru loews room total $1135.20 and tickets are $305.96 for a total of 1441.16 and I know they might not think it too much cheaper but hey every dollar counts

Actually...when I went into Loews and put my dates in...it gives me $1186.08 for the waterview room and the tickets are $284.97 from AAA, for a total of $1471.05...which is $113.61 cheaper than the package deal through AAA!

And yes, every dollar does count!! Thanks you guys! :yay:

damo
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Actually...when I went into Loews and put my dates in...it gives me $1186.08 for the waterview room and the tickets are $284.97 from AAA, for a total of $1471.05...which is $113.61 cheaper than the package deal through AAA!

And yes, every dollar does count!! Thanks you guys! :yay:

Make sure you watch out for the taxes. When I plug in your dates I get $1270.10 after taxes for the waterview room. The rate you are quoting is the approximate rate without taxes -- not counting the rate change that happens on the weekends. You need to click on "rate details" to get the final cost. Add the 1270.10 plus the 284.97 and you get, voila, $1555.07

ribbot
01-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Make sure you watch out for the taxes. When I plug in your dates I get $1270.10 after taxes for the waterview room. The rate you are quoting is the approximate rate without taxes -- not counting the rate change that happens on the weekends. You need to click on "rate details" to get the final cost. Add the 1270.10 plus the 284.97 and you get, voila, $1555.07

Ok gotcha! Thanks, went back in and got the $1555, which is $30 less than AAA.

I'm now at the very confused point of what to do (does this happen to everybody or just me? LOL) If I book by myself through Loewes, I doubt the room rate would lower since I'm getting 3 nights free, right? Is there any disadvantage to booking the rooms and tickets separately by yourself? I'm also kinda ticked at AAA----what's the sense in using them if I can get the same price (or even lower) by booking myself?

And is AAA's rate of $94.99 per ticket the best that's out there? I checked Sams and Costco.

damo
01-13-2009, 07:11 AM
I would just book myself since it gives me control over any changes that ever need to be made. Unless AAA has some bonus offer to booking with them, I would just give them a call and have them make sure that is the lowest possible rate for you and that all your questions are answered. You can always cancel if you change your mind without any penalty as long as it is within the time constraints (5 days before check-in I do believe).

In many instances, it is cheaper to book online than through AAA. Hotels seem to offer great internet rates these days.

d4est
01-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Ok gotcha! Thanks, went back in and got the $1555, which is $30 less than AAA.

I'm now at the very confused point of what to do (does this happen to everybody or just me? LOL) If I book by myself through Loewes, I doubt the room rate would lower since I'm getting 3 nights free, right? Is there any disadvantage to booking the rooms and tickets separately by yourself? I'm also kinda ticked at AAA----what's the sense in using them if I can get the same price (or even lower) by booking myself?

And is AAA's rate of $94.99 per ticket the best that's out there? I checked Sams and Costco.

Well, besides getting AAA rates, which you are not (cause you are actually booking a Uni special), you also get discounts at a lot of the restaurants and on merch. Really, though, AAA is designed to help with automotive issues (dead batteries, towing, keys locked in car etc.). The other stuff, well that's all perks, IMO.

Now if you meant "using them" as in using there TA services, YMMV. Some people like control and being in charge of their ressies. Other people like the security of having a TA (supposed to really know the ins and outs of travel/tourism) handle their vacays. I've done both. We are using a TA service, for example, on next year's cruise. We are cruise newbs and I just feel better having a TA's help. For a Uni vacation, I honestly don't think a TA is necessary.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Either way, Uni is a blast of a vacation...and yet somehow incredibly relaxing at the same time! :woohoo:

ky07
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Still if you book it yourself and are a AAA memeber you can still take your card with you and use it to get the discounts in the shops a restaurants
so your still not losing either way and good luck on whichever way you decide cause either way you will have a great time :thumbsup2